PDA

View Full Version : Spurs aquire Bonner and E.Williams from Raptors for Rasho

some-dude
06-21-2006, 04:57 PM
According to Spurs.com, the team has acquired Matt Bonner, Eric Williams and a 2009 second round draft pick from the Toronto Raptors in exchange for Rasho Nesterovic.

Williams was not happy with his limited role in Toronto and the distance from which he was seperated from his son, which will be even farther in San Antonio.

Bonner, a fan favorite in Toronto, will have to get used to a new atmosphere around Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker in San Antonio.

Nesterovic's role with the Spurs was diminished by seasons end after coach Gregg Popovich went in another direction in the middle for the Spurs.

The big Slovenian will be looked to as the Raptors' only true center.

nashtymavsfan13
06-21-2006, 05:01 PM
How much does this help the Spurs?

some-dude
06-21-2006, 05:09 PM
How much does this help the Spurs?

Obviously, the deal doesnt instantly make the Spurs 10X better, but I do think it helps them. Rasho is actaully a semi-decent big with a jumper, but just didnt fit in with San Antonio. They clearly like Nazi Mo. better

Bonner has a good jumpshot and can hit the 3 ball at a high percentage. Eric Williams was a filler and I don;t think he'll see much PT in SA..

Five-ofan
06-21-2006, 06:37 PM
This was a bad trade for the spurs imo but rc buford knows more about basketball than me so i will give him the benefit of the doubt.

DelNegro
06-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Spurs fan here.

It's a cash dump. The Spurs knew Rasho wasn't going to be their guy so they didn't want to pay him $8mil/yr for the next 3 seasons to sit on the bench. The Spurs get out from under that contract and pick up some expiring contracts along the way which they can now try to use, along with Nazr Mohammed in a possible S&T package, to try and land a player whom they do think is worth $8 mil/yr.

MavsFanFinley
06-21-2006, 08:20 PM
Bonner ($2,000,000) and Williams ($4,296,000) are in the last year of their contracts. That's $6,296,000 off the books next season or to trade away this season. Of course, I think they keep Bonner this season so that leaves Williams contract to work with.

Rasho will make $7,280,000, $7,840,000, $8,400,000 the next 3 years. You could tell how unhappy Pop was with him and Nazr. That's a lot to pay a center to not play. I'm amazed they unloaded that contract.

As DelNegro mentioned, it's mostly a salary dump for the Spurs. However, I think they pick up a Najera/Ferry type player in Bonner. And he shoots the 3 around 42%.

I doubt the Spurs are done. I don't see them losing both centers without something else planned. I assume the rumors are true about Javtokas being a done deal for one. It also allows them to do a sign and trade with Nazr.

They could be planning on moving Duncan to center permanently.

MavsFanFinley
06-22-2006, 01:04 AM
Spurs bolster perimeter: Nesterovic is dealt to Toronto for Bonner, Williams, 2009 pick

Web Posted: 06/22/2006 12:00 AM CDT
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Less than 24 hours after the NBA crowned its new champion, the Spurs took the first step in attempting to make their roster more title-worthy, trading center Rasho Nesterovic to Toronto for forwards Matt Bonner and Eric Williams.

The trade was made largely for financial reasons: Nesterovic had three years and $23.5 million remaining on his contract, while Bonner and Williams are entering the final season of their respective deals. The Spurs hope their newest acquisitions help them better match up in the Western Conference, where perimeter-oriented power forwards such as Dirk Nowitzki, Boris Diaw and Lamar Odom have become the norm.

Bonner, 26, averaged 7.3 points and 3.6 rebounds in two seasons with the Raptors. At 6-foot-10, and with a 42.1 percent career 3-point percentage, Bonner gives the Spurs another big man to space the floor for Tim Duncan.

"We can always figure out ways to use guys who can shoot the ball," Spurs general manager R.C. Buford said.

Williams, 6-8, is an 11-year veteran who will be playing for his sixth team. Williams turns 34 next month and appeared in only 28 games last season, but Buford is optimistic he can provide defense and toughness.

Nesterovic's lack of athleticism and aggressiveness made him an easy target for fans in his three seasons with the Spurs, but he was an effective position defender when matched against bigger centers. He lost his starting job after the Spurs acquired Nazr Mohammed in February 2005, regained it at the beginning of last season, then lost it again after the All-Star break.

Neither Nesterovic nor Mohammed played much in the Spurs' second-round loss to Dallas when coach Gregg Popovich opted to use a smaller lineup to match up with Nowitzki.

"It's obvious Tim's minutes are going to start getting directed some to (center) from looking at the playoffs," Buford said. "So the necessity to have so many people at (that) position probably becomes a little bit less."

For now, the Spurs don't have a true center. Mohammed is a free agent, and though the Spurs are open to re-signing him if the price is right, they also will explore sign-and-trade options. They expect to sign Robertas Javtokas, a 6-11 former second-round pick who has been playing in Lithuania, but consider him a solid rotation player more than a starting option.

The arrival of Bonner and Williams also increases the likelihood the Spurs will trade the rights to Argentine forward Luis Scola. With Fabricio Oberto also under contract, the team is deep at power forward.

In addition to finding a center, the Spurs will try to add a third point guard and a younger, athletic wing player via free agency or trade. They don't expect any immediate help from next week's draft even if they trade for a first-round selection. If the Spurs need to make a move during the season, Williams' $4.3 million contract might attract teams looking to get under the salary cap.

As part of Wednesday's deal, the Spurs will receive a 2009 second-round pick the Raptors had obtained from New Orleans. Toronto also received financial considerations less than $1 million from the Spurs.

Nesterovic, 30, is in Slovenia and couldn't be reached for comment, but his agent, Bill Duffy, said he was "fine" with the trade. He is expected to become the Raptors' starting center.

"It was a great experience for him in San Antonio," Duffy said. "The Spurs believed in him and rewarded him with a nice contract, but at the end of the day, his role there had diminished."

Bonner, whose long-range shooting and wit made him popular with Toronto fans, was surprised when Raptors general manager Bryan Colangelo informed him of the trade. He will fly to San Antonio today to meet with Spurs officials.

"I felt we were on our way to having a winning team (in Toronto)," Bonner said by phone. "But now I have a great opportunity to go to a great organization. I'm really excited."

nashtymavsfan13
06-22-2006, 01:13 AM
It looks to be a great trade for the Spurs.

madape
06-22-2006, 07:43 AM
What?!!? How in the HELL was San Antonio able to trade Rasho and his insane contract for a bunch of expiring contracts AND a draft pick? It's inconcevable! Toronto must be desperate, stupid or both.

I thought Rasho was the most untradable player in the league. I guess I'm wrong. There's always a sucker out there. Maverick fans, have hope! We just might be able to find a taker for Dampier after all!

dalmations202
06-22-2006, 08:56 AM
Good move for the Spurs. The NBA is getting more athletic with Shaq getting older, and the rules somewhat changing (at least what is called).

I expect them to move TD permanently to C, and get an athletic PF that can play some D. That would allow the PF to become the last line of D, and allow for Ginobili to stay as the 6th man and trade out with Bowen.

Darius Miles would work out nicely for an athletic PF for them.

DelNegro
06-22-2006, 09:22 AM
No way the Spurs go after Darius Miles. True he's athletic, but he's also a head case who makes even more than Rasho did. Rasho was horribly overpaid, but at least he wasn't a distraction.

The Spurs had a deal worked out with the Hornets that would have landed them JR Smith, but it fell through at the last minute. I'd expect the Spurs to try and revive that deal. Brent Barry was the Spurs player in that deal.

dalmations202
06-22-2006, 10:35 AM
No way the Spurs go after Darius Miles. True he's athletic, but he's also a head case who makes even more than Rasho did. Rasho was horribly overpaid, but at least he wasn't a distraction.

The Spurs had a deal worked out with the Hornets that would have landed them JR Smith, but it fell through at the last minute. I'd expect the Spurs to try and revive that deal. Brent Barry was the Spurs player in that deal.
Still not going to help them at the PF though. JR Smith is 6'6". Good OK. Major help, no.

They need to get younger and more athletic, or Phoenix and Dallas will keep them from getting back.

You may be correct on Miles, but a 6'9" or taller, extremely athletic PF who has an outside game for offense, but is durable and can provide defense inside "should" be the player they are looking for, IMO.

Their backcourt is a strength, frontcourt is the needed fix.

MFFL
06-22-2006, 02:34 PM
Two lessons from this trade.

One: expiring contracts ain't worth very much anymore. Most teams have moved below the LT level and the most of the worst contracts have finally went away. So most teams aren't giving much for expiring contracts anymore.

Two: any center, no matter how bad the contract, is wanted by someone. So moving Dampier will not be hard at all if we decide to make the move.

DelNegro
06-22-2006, 03:35 PM
Still not going to help them at the PF though. JR Smith is 6'6". Good OK. Major help, no.

They need to get younger and more athletic, or Phoenix and Dallas will keep them from getting back.

You may be correct on Miles, but a 6'9" or taller, extremely athletic PF who has an outside game for offense, but is durable and can provide defense inside "should" be the player they are looking for, IMO.

Their backcourt is a strength, frontcourt is the needed fix.

I agree with all that. The big need (literally and figuratively) is getting someone to put next to Duncan, but getting an athletic wing player is also on the list. The two main reasons we lost to you guys was rebounding and perimeter defense and both those areas the Spurs are going to try to address. JR Smith would help with the lesser need but getting the big body is still the question they have to answer.

Admitting the possibility of this just being wishful thinking by me, it looks like to me that the Spurs are setting themselves up to make a play for a big name PF or C, either by trade or by S&T with someone else's FA. Dumping Rasho frees up a bunch of cash (not capspace) to spend on someone else, and they've got the tradeable assets to pull something off.

For years it's been Dallas trying to match up with San Antonio and they've done that, so now it's on the Spurs F.O. to counter.

dalmations202
06-22-2006, 04:26 PM
I agree with all that. The big need (literally and figuratively) is getting someone to put next to Duncan, but getting an athletic wing player is also on the list. The two main reasons we lost to you guys was rebounding and perimeter defense and both those areas the Spurs are going to try to address. JR Smith would help with the lesser need but getting the big body is still the question they have to answer.

Admitting the possibility of this just being wishful thinking by me, it looks like to me that the Spurs are setting themselves up to make a play for a big name PF or C, either by trade or by S&T with someone else's FA. Dumping Rasho frees up a bunch of cash (not capspace) to spend on someone else, and they've got the tradeable assets to pull something off.

For years it's been Dallas trying to match up with San Antonio and they've done that, so now it's on the Spurs F.O. to counter.

I think the Spurs are one player away from being the "bully" on the block again. I just think that they need that player to play beside TD, and be an outside offensive threat, and a major defensive one. Really Horry from about 10 years ago would do wonders for your team.

Dtownsfinest
06-22-2006, 11:59 PM
Damn. Good trade for the Spurs. I didn't understand it before seeing the contracts. I wonder can we pull a trade for Dampier like that? Naw we couldn't. I remember back when Cuban use to trade for expiring contracts and recieve pretty good players in return. After seeing KVH's contract just sit here i'm sad to see that those days are gone.

Five-ofan
06-23-2006, 02:54 PM
This was a good trade for the Raptors. for all the hate of big guys they always get these contracts. He is every bit as good as pryzbilla who is about to get a bigger deal than he has not to mention chandler. Big guys are overpaid. Get over it. I hear the raptors are still gonna draft Bargeanni(sp?) I know you always gamble with size but how many bigs are they trying to get. If they draft brandon roy and resign mike james they will make the playoffs next year. I havent seen the big guy play so they may be completely right in drafting him but I have seen roy play and of all the people i have seen play he is CLEARLY the best as well as being the best fit for them. Yes as a UT fan it pains me to say that.

Seriously a lineup of
James
Roy
CV
CB4
Rasho

is damn solid. Rasho will help make up for the defencies of cv defensively while not being a complete liability offensively because he can hit the 15 fter. I can see trying to save money from san antonio but from a player standpoint they are not better right now then they were before this trade. They already had more shooters than anyone could ever need. Manu, barry, fin, Horry are all good spot up shooters and i have the feeling im forgeting someone else(not nve he is not a shooter).

dude1394
06-23-2006, 05:32 PM
This was a good trade for the Raptors. for all the hate of big guys they always get these contracts. He is every bit as good as pryzbilla who is about to get a bigger deal than he has not to mention chandler. Big guys are overpaid. Get over it. I hear the raptors are still gonna draft Bargeanni(sp?) I know you always gamble with size but how many bigs are they trying to get. If they draft brandon roy and resign mike james they will make the playoffs next year. I havent seen the big guy play so they may be completely right in drafting him but I have seen roy play and of all the people i have seen play he is CLEARLY the best as well as being the best fit for them. Yes as a UT fan it pains me to say that.

Seriously a lineup of
James
Roy
CV
CB4
Rasho

is damn solid. Rasho will help make up for the defencies of cv defensively while not being a complete liability offensively because he can hit the 15 fter. I can see trying to save money from san antonio but from a player standpoint they are not better right now then they were before this trade. They already had more shooters than anyone could ever need. Manu, barry, fin, Horry are all good spot up shooters and i have the feeling im forgeting someone else(not nve he is not a shooter).

I agree with ya' 5-0. CB will sit down there and be the scoring low-post player and rasho will hit the ft shot. I don't know about defensively there, he seems pretty tepid on that end.

Horry is done imo so they need someone else there. If horry can't get on the court because he's not "small" enough, then he's just flat out too slow.

Dtownsfinest
06-26-2006, 12:09 AM

Seriously a lineup of
James
Roy
CV
CB4
Rasho

Solid in what league lol? That lineup wouldn't even make the playoffs. I can't wait until Bosh gets out of that hell hole in Toronto.

nashtymavsfan13
06-26-2006, 12:14 AM
Solid in what league lol? That lineup wouldn't even make the playoffs. I can't wait until Bosh gets out of that hell hole in Toronto.

That's not a bad core though, they are a piece or two and a year or two away from being a contender. Not bad from going to one of the worst teams in the league to a young solid contender in a couple years.

fluid.forty.one
06-26-2006, 12:27 AM
All I got out of this thread is that the spurs like dick so much that they got a player named boner.

some-dude
06-26-2006, 01:03 AM
All I got out of this thread is that the spurs like dick so much that they got a player named boner.

glad to see your head is in the right place.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 11:03 AM
We will see dtown. If they draft roy they will have 4 guys that can score and their big (who is extremely good defensively despite his reputation for being soft) can hit the 15 to 17 footer consistently. There is not a single guy you can help off of in that lineup and they are pretty athletic. Mike james is a top 12 pg, brandon roy will be a stud, CV is solid, Bosh is a beast and rasho is a solid big. The biggest problem they had is much like the mavs had when they first got dirk, yes he is a beast offensively and he can board like a big man but he isnt a post defender or a shotblocker. Rasho is both. I doubt they will draft roy which is their decision to make but if they do we shall see who is right then. I mean seriously compare them to the mavs starting lineup(I know they dont have as much depth)
MIke james - Terry This is EXTREMELY close. Stats wise james is better but i would call it a draw.
Griff-Roy - Roy will be alot better
CV-JHO JHO is better but its not that ridiculously one sided
CB4-Dirk Dirk is hands down better right now but CB4 is one of the top 10 players at the best position in the nba.
Rasho-diop Rasho is better.

Plus they are in the east which sort of balances out the lack of depth. Obviously they arent anywhere near as good as the mavs but from what they had to what they can have now, it is a HUGE improvement and i will be shocked if they dont win 40-45 games next year which will put them right in the thick of the playoff race.

Dtownsfinest
06-26-2006, 01:01 PM
I look at the lineup you posted above Five-O and compare it to other lineups in the East. I don't see that lineup being better than the Bulls, Pacers, Pistons, Heat, 6ers, Bucks, Cavs, or hell even the Knicks. Its a decent lineup but with Vilanueva(?) and Roy getting major minutes it just looks unnattractive to me. Maybe in a year or two when they are developed. I don't expect much out of them but if they can get productivity from these guys or if Roy is a rookie of the year candidate will see. But as of right now that lineup still has one All Star and a bunch of guys playing alongside him. And if they don't sign Mike James then they will guarantee be the worst team in the league again next year.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 01:12 PM
If they dont resign james then they will suck. Im counting on him resigning though. As for Them vs some of those lineups, Them vs the bulls
James vs gordon James in a walk
Roy vs Kirk Kirk but roy will be the roty
CV vs Deng Its close
Bosh vs nocioni Bosh by a mile
Rasho vs Chandler Tie to slight edge for rasho

I think the crux of this whole debate is that im pretty sure i rate rasho higher than you do. He is not a star by any stretch of the imagination but he is very solid. As for the pacers
james-tinsley James by a lot
Roy- Jackson Roy
Cv - Peja Peja by a lot
Bosh- JO Bosh is better but its close
Rasho- Foster Rasho is better

I could do it for all the teams and as for the knicks on paper they are one of the best teams in the league. As a matter of fact i think a serious argument could be made for browns job last year being the worst coaching job in the history of the nba but they still wont be any good because isiah sucks. I see the cavs, heat, pistons, and nets as being without question better than toronto but after that they will be in that 40-45 win pile that everyone else is in.