PDA

View Full Version : Phoenix and Seattle ready to deal?

MavsFanFinley
06-24-2006, 11:01 PM
http://draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1369

You can't copy/paste from this site. It looks like Marion/#27 for Lewis/#10. Some talk of possibly Barbosa and Fortson being involed as well.

Nash13
06-24-2006, 11:08 PM
This is going to suck for Pheonix fans. They're not going to make any attempt to play defense. Lewis is the superior offensive player, but sucks on defense. He can't get a rebound to save his life. You thought they gave up too many offensive rebounds in the playoffs, imagine that happening every game.

MavsFanFinley
06-24-2006, 11:15 PM
Lewis is a cheaper option and can opt out after the season. I think he does to get a bigger contract and the Suns let him walk. That clears up room for them to resign Boris Diaw.

I guess they had to choose between Diaw and Barbosa. Only what do they do about Nash's minutes? Who's his backup?

Fortson would come off the books after the season. Or he could be used as trade bait.

nashtymavsfan13
06-24-2006, 11:16 PM
Wow, I don't see why Phoenix would do this, maybe they really want someone with the 10 pick. Marion works so well for there offenseand does most of the rebounding. Add Barbosa into it and it makes it even worse.

That being said it'd be great for the Mavs if this deal got done ;)

mary
06-24-2006, 11:20 PM
Would Fortson ever play in a Suns uniform? Wasn't there a nasty fallout between Fortson and Colangelo after the Zarko incident?

chumdawg
06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
That is insane! Shawn Marion is a top-ten player in this league. If the Suns would take that for him (not to mention tossing in Barbosa), they are really throwing in the towel.

Of course, I don't believe it for a minute. The rumor of Marion to Toronto for Villanueva and the #1 makes much more sense.

I will be incredibly, incredibly disappointed if Sarver really does go into a cost-cutting mode. And if it happened, I would be pissed beyond belief if I were Steve Nash. What is it about these owners that get to the elite level and get satisfied and start milking the team for as much as dough as they can?

On the other hand, they might be maneuvering for next summer, when Dirk can opt out. I'm sure he'd love to play with Nash again.

Milles
06-24-2006, 11:23 PM
Would Fortson ever play in a Suns uniform? Wasn't there a nasty fallout between Fortson and Colangelo after the Zarko incident?

Yes, Forston sued both Colangelo and Vecsey for besmirching his good name.

He lost.

mary
06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
That is insane! Shawn Marion is a top-ten player in this league. If the Suns would take that for him (not to mention tossing in Barbosa), they are really throwing in the towel.

Of course, I don't believe it for a minute. The rumor of Marion to Toronto for Villanueva and the #1 makes much more sense.

I will be incredibly, incredibly disappointed if Sarver really does go into a cost-cutting mode. And if it happened, I would be pissed beyond belief if I were Steve Nash. What is it about these owners that get to the elite level and get satisfied and start milking the team for as much as dough as they can?

On the other hand, they might be maneuvering for next summer, when Dirk can opt out. I'm sure he'd love to play with Nash again.

Even without Marion's salary on the books, two years from now they'll still be paying 3 guys 32.5 million dollars and that's before they have to re-sign Diaw. I'd be surprised if they had any room to go after a max contract guy.

some-dude
06-24-2006, 11:36 PM
Wow, I don't see why Phoenix would do this, maybe they really want someone with the 10 pick. Marion works so well for there offenseand does most of the rebounding. Add Barbosa into it and it makes it even worse.

That being said it'd be great for the Mavs if this deal got done ;)

Marion is too expensive for the Suns with Amare and Nash and it frees up money, like people already said, for them to resign Boris Diaw.

If this goes through I think it will help the Suns. Lewis would fit in well with the system since he can make 3's and create his own shots that Marion sometimes couldn't do. Lewis doesnt play defense, but Suns and defense don't belong in same sentence. Obviously Marion is better than Lewis but the Suns are getting a lotto pick as well. With the 10th pick they draft a very explosive and athletic SG Brewer or Carney...

I highly doubt Barbosa would be involved...

Nash
Bell
R. Lewis
Diaw
Amare

Bench: Barbosa, Brewer, T.Thomas, K. Thomas, House, J. Jones.

Solid Ten Man Rotation.

mary
06-24-2006, 11:37 PM
Yes, Forston sued both Colangelo and Vecsey for besmirching his good name.

He lost.

Edited because I'm getting my Colangelo's mixed up...I think.

Arne
06-25-2006, 04:26 AM
Marion is too expensive for the Suns with Amare and Nash and it frees up money, like people already said, for them to resign Boris Diaw.

If this goes through I think it will help the Suns. Lewis would fit in well with the system since he can make 3's and create his own shots that Marion sometimes couldn't do. Lewis doesnt play defense, but Suns and defense don't belong in same sentence. Obviously Marion is better than Lewis but the Suns are getting a lotto pick as well. With the 10th pick they draft a very explosive and athletic SG Brewer or Carney...

Nash
Bell
R. Lewis
Diaw
Amare

Solid Ten Man Rotation.
I'd love to see that trade go through. The Suns would lose their best rebounder who kept them going this whole season. They would've noone to match up with Dirk and since I truely believe that Amaré will never be the same, I think that they would become big difficulties as soon as the playoffs start.

Stylistic
06-25-2006, 01:44 PM
I think it could work for Phoenix if Barbosa is not involved. If he is involved, then the trade would look really dumb for them. Barbosa probably would have been the successor of Steve Nash in the near future and Nash is having back problems. Barbosa fits very well in that system especially as a backup and you have nobody else on the team that can relieve Nash other than Barbosa and you get rid of him. I highly doubt that Barbosa is involved in this trade.

DubOverdose
06-25-2006, 02:22 PM

Marion is SO overrated and this trade rumor proves it. He's a stat whore that has less impact than Lewis does. I only remember Marion making about 3 dunks in the Suns series...that's all I remember him doing.

fluid.forty.one
06-25-2006, 02:54 PM

Wow could you even imagine that. It would be really funny/ironic if Dirk left for there, Mavs got an even better record, and beat the Suns in the WCF.

Btw... Dirk's not leaving the Mavs.

rakesh.s
06-25-2006, 03:08 PM
This would be an incredible trade for Seattle.

They will be very tough next year if they pull this off. Wilcox was the missing piece on the frontline and there have always been questions about Lewis' toughness. He's always hurt when it counts, just like Jermaine O'Neal. If they fill the small forward void with Marion, look out.

nashtymavsfan13
06-25-2006, 03:39 PM
I still think this is a bad trade for Phoenix, but I guess it depends on how well Amare comes back.

Also, no way Cubes will let Dirk walk. Dirk is staying.

fluid.forty.one
06-25-2006, 04:59 PM
By the way.. If this happens and I'm nash, I'm extremely pissed off.

MavsFanFinley
06-25-2006, 07:32 PM

Nash
Bell
R. Lewis
Diaw
Amare

Solid Ten Man Rotation.

I think we're one of the few who like the trade for the Suns. Only if Barbosa isn't involved though.

With Stoudamire's health in question what about getting Sene with the 10th pick and picking a guy like Ager, Sefolosha, or Tucker with the 21st pick. Resign Tim Thomas.

Lineup of:

Stoudamire/Sene
Diaw/K.Thomas
Lewis/T.Thomas
Bell/Ager or Sefolosha or Tucker
Nash/Barbosa/House

EricaLubarsky
06-25-2006, 07:53 PM
Lewis is the better three point shooter, and he has the extra few inches on Marion. Other than that Lewis isnt the monster defender or rebounder that Marion was-- both are the weaknesses of the Suns.

Although if Amare comes back healthy, it makes things a lot better. They'd have the height, the defense and the rebounding.

I am really praying that the Suns blow up this postseason because they are easily the team with the most potential. We proved we could hang with every team this league this season. Suns are the team that has the potential to play leapfrog with 3-4 teams out there.

birdsanctuary
06-25-2006, 11:02 PM
I must add that Marion with his poor mechanics most likely will not have a long career as he begins to lose the quickness.

nashtymavsfan13
06-25-2006, 11:18 PM
I must add that Marion with his poor mechanics most likely will not have a long career as he begins to lose the quickness.

But bird, the question is which player is more marketable ;)

Dtownsfinest
06-26-2006, 12:07 AM
If Phoenix doesn't want to get over the luxury tax mark than its a great deal for them. They won't get any better than Lewis and a #10 pick from any other team. Great deal for the Sonics as well. Both teams make out well but if i'm the Mavs i'm calling to see is there any possible deal available for Marion. They wouldn't deal him to us I don't believe but i'd make the call.

vjz
06-26-2006, 03:26 PM
Marion's game is perfect for the Suns: he can put-up 20/10 without having to setup a single play for him.

BUT, he can't create his own shot, which means he is not a franchise player. The Suns are making a good move getting rid of him.

KT and Amare will make up for his rebounds, and along with Lewis will make up for his points. Defense will also improve, because they'll have a more traditional line-up that will protect the rim.

I think this is a great move for the Suns.

I hope we won't underestimate Nash... If Amare is even 80% pre-injury, be afraid, very afraid.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 03:33 PM
Did you just say that giving up Shawn marion and getting Rashard lewis will help the suns DEFENSE?

nashtymavsfan13
06-26-2006, 03:58 PM
No way losing Marion helps the Suns D. And even with Amare back, they are still losing some rebounding.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 04:01 PM
At the risk of stating the obvious, trading a good rebounder and defender for a poor rebounder and defender is NEVER a way to make the defense and rebounding better. Even if amare comes back at 100% marion being there to rebound too wouldnt hurt(not to mention that amare isnt very good defensively himself)

nashtymavsfan13
06-26-2006, 04:02 PM
I seriously doubt Amare coming back at 100%, at least not next year.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 04:06 PM
Oh im quite certain he will never be the same player he was last year. But my point was that it even if he did it would still be a bad idea to do this deal.

Five-ofan
06-26-2006, 04:07 PM
By last year i meant when he was healthy the year before last.

EricaLubarsky
06-26-2006, 04:54 PM
I'm going to go watch him in Vegas-- Ill tell you all how he moves if all goes right.