PDA

View Full Version : NBA dying?

vjz
06-26-2006, 10:25 PM
Finals' TV Ratings Rise but Rank as Third Lowest

The six-game NBA Finals on ABC averaged an 8.5 national Nielsen rating, up from an 8.2 for last year's seven-game series in which San Antonio beat Detroit.

The 8.5 average rating equates to 6.2 million households and 13 million viewers.

ABC had the highest prime-time ratings on network television all six nights.

The 8.5 average rating, however, is third lowest since the Finals began airing live in prime time. Last year's 8.2 was second lowest, and the record low of 6.5 was set in 2003, when San Antonio beat New Jersey in six games.

Through six games, last year's Finals were averaging a 7.6. Game 7 last year got an 11.9.

In 1998, when Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls won their sixth title in eight years, the average rating was an 18.7.

Game 6 of this year's Finals had a 10.1 rating, up from an 8.8 for Game 6 last year.

In Los Angeles, Game 6 had a 12.2 rating and a viewing audience of 947,000. The six-game average was an 11.0 and 853,000 viewers.

NBC ended up with a 2.3 average rating for the five games it televised during the seven-game Stanley Cup finals won by Carolina over Edmonton. ABC averaged a 2.6 for the five games it televised in 2004, when Tampa Bay beat Calgary in seven games.

Game 7 Monday night got a 3.3 national rating and a 2.1 in Los Angeles. The 2.1 equates to 158,000 Southern California viewers.

Larry Stewart
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nbarep22jun22,1,6832983.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

some-dude
06-26-2006, 11:16 PM
Finals' TV Ratings Rise but Rank as Third Lowest

The six-game NBA Finals on ABC averaged an 8.5 national Nielsen rating, up from an 8.2 for last year's seven-game series in which San Antonio beat Detroit.

The 8.5 average rating equates to 6.2 million households and 13 million viewers.

ABC had the highest prime-time ratings on network television all six nights.

The 8.5 average rating, however, is third lowest since the Finals began airing live in prime time. Last year's 8.2 was second lowest, and the record low of 6.5 was set in 2003, when San Antonio beat New Jersey in six games.

Through six games, last year's Finals were averaging a 7.6. Game 7 last year got an 11.9.

In 1998, when Michael Jordan and the Chicago Bulls won their sixth title in eight years, the average rating was an 18.7.

Game 6 of this year's Finals had a 10.1 rating, up from an 8.8 for Game 6 last year.

In Los Angeles, Game 6 had a 12.2 rating and a viewing audience of 947,000. The six-game average was an 11.0 and 853,000 viewers.

NBC ended up with a 2.3 average rating for the five games it televised during the seven-game Stanley Cup finals won by Carolina over Edmonton. ABC averaged a 2.6 for the five games it televised in 2004, when Tampa Bay beat Calgary in seven games.

Game 7 Monday night got a 3.3 national rating and a 2.1 in Los Angeles. The 2.1 equates to 158,000 Southern California viewers.

— Larry Stewart
http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp-nbarep22jun22,1,6832983.story?coll=la-headlines-sports

I don't think it is dying with such great young stars such as Lebron, Wade, Bosh, Paul, etc on the Horizon.

What may help get its ratings up is...

Put the NBA back on NBC. It was great when it was there. It had none of these graphics and junk everywhere that take away from the game. Not to mention pretty awsome music that reminds me of the good ole days of Jazz vs Bulls in the finals.....http://youtube.com/watch?v=cFypOpg8Wv0&search=NBA%20on%20NBC%20...ahhh, those were the days...i miss NBA on NBC =((((((((

birdsanctuary
06-26-2006, 11:30 PM
Wow, practically nobody in LA watched game 7....

The only thing dying in the NBA is quality shooting, passing and teamwork. It's being replaced with one-on-one dribble penetration and brutes that grab, slap, and push under the basket. Shit maybe stern is revealing the fact that the NBA is changing it's name to the NRA, the National Rugby Association...

Yeah the NBC music is better! How easily I forgot...?

dude1394
06-26-2006, 11:35 PM
How does the ratings for World Wide Wrestling compare?

chumdawg
06-27-2006, 12:07 AM
Honestly, I think the ratings things is way overblown. The Super Bowl damn well better get good ratings, since it plays only one game for its title. Multiply the NBA ratings by seven, and you are probably about close.

I don't think the NBA depends on Finals viewership all that much to make their money. The Mavs played almost a hundred games this year, and they sold every home game out. I'm sure there are similar stories around the league. The NBA dying? I don't think so.

some-dude
06-27-2006, 12:13 AM
Honestly, I think the ratings things is way overblown. The Super Bowl damn well better get good ratings, since it plays only one game for its title. Multiply the NBA ratings by seven, and you are probably about close.

I don't think the NBA depends on Finals viewership all that much to make their money. The Mavs played almost a hundred games this year, and they sold every home game out. I'm sure there are similar stories around the league. The NBA dying? I don't think so.

Some of it has to do with ABC's coverage. It just doesnt bring the same excitement to me as a fan of the NBA. Maybe it has to do with the Jordan era or what not i dunno..... but I don't like it and hope they go back to NBC. It would increase ratings....in the NBC era the finals got 2 times if not 3 times higher ratings as they did in 2006, and I doubt fan base is going down.

ddh33
06-27-2006, 12:17 AM
In all honesty, I know a bunch of completely unbiased people who were going to watch the game just because they wanted to see the Finals. They turned off their sets after some of the officiating.

My brother used to be a fan in the 80s, he turned off his set and said, "Now I remember why I quit watching this crap..."

EricaLubarsky
06-27-2006, 12:17 AM
The NBA plays, what?

1,230 games in the regular season? all sold to local networks and pay-per-view
41 homegames for each team in the regular season-- pay out to the arena owner
at least 60 playoff games-- which cost a pretty penny to televise
up to 16 playoff home games-- big money for the arena owner
Merchandise= big $$$$$$
Contracts with EA sports and 2K sports.... $$$
Fines from players, coaches, owners

Did I miss something?

chumdawg
06-27-2006, 12:23 AM
Fines from players, coaches, ownersGenius.

Hey, that's the next conspiracy theory! Keep pissing Cuban off, to keep the cash flow coming!

EricaLubarsky
06-27-2006, 12:36 AM
;)

Dtownsfinest
06-27-2006, 05:00 PM
With Wade, 'Bron and Carmelo playing for contenders I guarantee the NBA's ratings will rise in the near future. This season was just a start. I see it progressing next season as well.