PDA

View Full Version : Telfair a Celtic

#1MavsFan
06-28-2006, 04:05 PM
NEW YORK -- The Boston Celtics acquired second-year Portland Trail Blazers point guard Sebastian Telfair for the No. 7 pick in Wednesday's NBA draft, as well as one or two other players, multiple sources told ESPN.com.

Sebastian Telfair
Point Guard
Portland Trail Blazers

2006 SEASON STATISTICS
GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%
68 9.5 1.8 3.6 .394 .743

The trade was agreed upon Wednesday afternoon but it came after the 2 p.m. ET deadline which means the Celtics will still be on the clock, selecting for the Blazers, when the No. 7 pick comes up during the draft.

Portland will pick at No. 4 and No. 7, barring any more trades.

One of the players from the Celtics could be injured point Dan Dickau (Achilles), but that wasn't confirmed as of Wednesday.

Boston has been searching for a true point guard and wasn't overwhelmed by the choices that it may have at No. 7. The Celtics worked out Connecticut's Marcus Williams, Kentucky's Rajon Rondo and Villanova's Randy Foye on Monday. All three could be available at No. 7. But the Celtics brass decided that Telfair, two years into the league, was better suited for the Celtics' system at this juncture in his career.

Danny Ainge, the director of basketball operations, looked at Telfair's first eight games -- 12.6 points, shooting 45.7 percent, 42.3 percent on 3s as well as four assists a game -- as the indicator of his ability. Telfair hurt his thumb after that and was out for an extended period of time. He lost the starting point guard position during his absence to Steve Blake and Jarrett Jack. He finished averaging 9.5 points, 3.6 assists and shot 39.4 percent in 68 games. Telfair was the No. 13 pick for the Blazers in 2004 out of Lincoln High in New York.

In his two years he averaged a combined 8.1 points, 3.5 assists and shot 39.4 percent.

This deal allows the Celtics to play Delonte West more as an off guard with Telfair as a natural point.

This trade won't deter the Celtics from still pursuing Philadelphia's Allen Iverson in a summer deal that is still very much alive with a third team still to be determined.

Andy Katz is a senior writer at ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/draft2006/news/story?id=2503245

Looks like Portland is trading the 4th and 7th for the #1 pick to draft Morrison.

jthig32
06-28-2006, 04:10 PM
Isn't it fairly likely that they could get Morrison with the 4th pick?

#1MavsFan
06-28-2006, 04:11 PM
Possibly but it appears they don't want to take that chance. They tried to trade Telfair and the 4th pick for the #1 but Toronto wouldn't do it so they went ahead and made this deal.

jthig32
06-28-2006, 04:13 PM
Hmmm. Well, I guess you could be right. But I have hard time believing they're willing to give up those two picks for a guy that has at LEAST 50/50 shot of landing at #4. I also haven't seen anything about this anywhere....

GP
06-28-2006, 04:16 PM
I like this deal from the C's perspective. Telfair can play and he is very, very young.

#1MavsFan
06-28-2006, 04:18 PM
It's been mostly speculation but I've heard a couple places Portland was trying to trade up for the #1 by involving Telfair. Also this trade doesn't make much sense for Boston they would have wanted to wait until the 7th pick to make this trade unless they had to absolutely do it now. It just seems like another trade is coming soon.

some-dude
06-28-2006, 04:21 PM
I like this for the Blazers. Telfair was always a bit overhyped coming from high school.

jthig32
06-28-2006, 04:26 PM
It's been mostly speculation but I've heard a couple places Portland was trying to trade up for the #1 by involving Telfair. Also this trade doesn't make much sense for Boston they would have wanted to wait until the 7th pick to make this trade unless they had to absolutely do it now. It just seems like another trade is coming soon.

It goes the other way too. What if Boston REALLY wanted to do this trade, and was afraid the #7 pick would roll around an the guy Portland actually wanted isn't there, so they back out?

madape
06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Blazers gave up pretty quick on Telfair, but at least they got good value out of him. If he were in this draft, I doubt he'd go higher than 7.

#1MavsFan
06-28-2006, 04:28 PM
Yeah but it seems they got the lower end of the deal. If Foye, Gay, Thomas, or even Alridge are there don't you think they could get back more in a trade for the Celtics than Telfair?

some-dude
06-28-2006, 04:31 PM
This draft is SOO hectic in the top 10 its crazy.......anything can happen.

jthig32
06-28-2006, 06:17 PM
Final deal is:

Telfair, Ratliff, 2nd Rounder in '08

for

#7 pick tonight, Dickau and Raef LeFrentz

So it was also a nice salary dump for Boston. Very nice deal IMO.

EricaLubarsky
06-28-2006, 06:18 PM
Portland gets our old friend LaFrentz, Celtics get the old, big-blocker Ratliff

fluid.forty.one
06-28-2006, 06:27 PM
I live in portland and I love this for portland. Ratliff and telfair barely played minutes at all last year, and we get a 7th pick and Raef.

Now if we just ship out miles and randolph for some decent people, I might actually go to some non-dallas Blazer games.

jthig32
06-28-2006, 06:28 PM
You're happy getting Raef and that contract? You do realize Ratliff's deal comes off the books after this year? The seems like a great deal for the Celts to me.

dude1394
06-28-2006, 07:45 PM
With portland I assume that Randall will be the inside guy and raef will do what it seems he was born to do, I guess, shoot 3s.

jthig32
06-28-2006, 07:47 PM
With portland I assume that Randall will be the inside guy and raef will do what it seems he was born to do, I guess, shoot 3s.

And they'll have one of the worst defensive frontlines in the NBA.....

fluid.forty.one
06-28-2006, 11:41 PM
You're happy getting Raef and that contract? You do realize Ratliff's deal comes off the books after this year? The seems like a great deal for the Celts to me.

Considering we got Brandon Roy and Aldrige tonight, yes i'm not too bugged about getting Raefs contract. I'd rather have raefs contract and have him play, than a hurt ratliff.

And hell might freeze over and we might get rid of randolphs huge contract, but I think that's just a far-fetched dream.

Dtownsfinest
06-29-2006, 12:15 PM
How did teams manage to get rid of the contracts of Raef and Nesterovic all in one offseason lol?

nashtymavsfan13
06-29-2006, 02:40 PM
How did teams manage to get rid of the contracts of Raef and Nesterovic all in one offseason lol?

I can't believe it either. We might be able to trade Damp after all.