PDA

View Full Version : Should a Superstar Get More Calls than a Regular Player?

nashtymavsfan13
06-30-2006, 12:38 AM
Do you think superstars should be favored by refs more than regular players?

It's evident that superstars get more calls than regular players at a pretty high rate, but should they?

nashtymavsfan13
06-30-2006, 12:44 AM
In my opinion, superstars should get the benefit of the close calls going there way. Not their team's way, just in plays involving them individually should they get a slight favortism. That would result in no more than 4-6 more FTA's per game than the average player.

I think the favortism of superstars will never be completley gotten rid of, but it shouldn't be so blatant. One player shouldn't be getting more than 17 FTA's a game just because he's a superstar.

MavKikiNYC
06-30-2006, 01:43 AM
Don't wanna see it. Period.

Not for Dirk. Or Duncan. Or Wade. Or Kobe. Or Lebron.

Insidiously morphs the game from sport to specatcle.

EricaLubarsky
06-30-2006, 01:53 AM
You mean like Griffin getting away with that accident?

some-dude
06-30-2006, 02:04 AM
Of course Superstars shouldn't get calls. Why should they?

dude1394
06-30-2006, 07:41 AM
It's one of the most insidious problems in sports. It's absolutely the worst in basketball becuase so many referee calls result in either points or the other player having to sit out.

It should not be tolerated in any form or fashion. Basketball in particular because of how directly impactful referees are should be scrutinized under a microscope on that, it shouldn't be tolerated.

Usually Lurkin
06-30-2006, 09:23 AM
no. It too easily leads to the refs deciding who gets the calls that lead to the points that lead to the label superstar that leads to more calls. And on the other side, it leads to many more calls against players that the refs don't want to be superstars (Mantis, anyone?)

Stylistic
06-30-2006, 10:04 AM
The NBA makes too much of an emphasis on star treatment much moreso than the NFL and MLB. That's the thing I hate about it. I agree 100% with Mavskiki.

vjz
06-30-2006, 10:16 AM
You mean like Griffin getting away with that accident?

Hilarious! :D