PDA

View Full Version : Bucks acquire Villanueva from Raptors

HexNBA
06-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Pretty crazy trade, didnt think the Bucks would give up on TJ

---

Bucks acquire Villanueva from Raptors

MILWAUKEE - The Milwaukee Bucks traded point guard T.J. Ford to the Toronto Raptors on Friday night for forward Charlie Villanueva and cash.

Ford averaged 12.2 points and a team-high 6.6 assists in 72 games last season following a spinal-cord injury that sidelined him for a season and a half.

"He was an inspiration to all of us when he found the will and strength to fight back from the neck injury he suffered during his rookie season," Bucks general manager Larry Harris said. "We wish him much success in Toronto."

The 6-foot Ford was the No. 8 pick in the 2003 draft.

"We are sorry to see Charlie leave, but getting better comes at a cost," Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said. "T.J. Ford's best attributes, quickness and playmaking, are a perfect fit for our team."

Harris hopes Villanueva will fill the team's need for a power forward to complement 7-foot center Andrew Bogut, the top pick in the 2005 draft.

Villanueva, selected seventh overall in the 2005 draft, averaged 13.0 points and 6.4 rebounds in 81 games for the Raptors. The former Connecticut star set Toronto rookie records for points with 48 on March 26 at Milwaukee and rebounds with 18 on April 2 against New Orleans.

nashtymavsfan13
07-01-2006, 01:17 AM
Good trade for the Bucks though.

vjz
07-01-2006, 08:10 AM
Wow, what happened to Villanueva/Bosh being the forward tandem for years to come?

aexchange
07-01-2006, 10:11 AM
i thought this was a much better trade for the raptors. they get the true point they need to get the ball to bosh and company.

FINtastic
07-01-2006, 03:57 PM
I can see why the Raptors made this trade. They needed a real point guard, and Villanueva seemed to be a lot like a poor man's Bosh.

Five-ofan
07-01-2006, 05:24 PM
I dont think they are making the playoffs anymore but this is a solid move. This does answer the biggest question i had about them drafting Bargnani. They kept saying "he can play the 3" (i dont know if he can or not but assuming they are right this does make sense when at first the only thing i kept saying is but you drafted a guy to play sf last year. I love tj. Always will wish him the best. Since chris also happens to be the only good nba player i have actually met i also like him( he is a REALLY nice guy) I hope the raptors do well.

rakesh.s
07-01-2006, 06:06 PM
I think this trade will help both teams. The bucks as is weren't going anywhere even with TJ Ford. They went out and wasted all their cap space last year, signing redd to a max deal (can't do that for a one way player..it's like peja getting a max deal) and bobby simmons to a HUGE deal.

Villanueva finally gives them some offense on the front line.

Toronto will run and gun with Ford running the show.

Again, barring major injuries, it'll help both teams, just like the radmanovic-wilcox trade last year.