PDA

View Full Version : Bucks acquire Villanueva from Raptors for Ford

MavsFanFinley
06-30-2006, 10:44 PM
Toronto fans are unhappy but damn they got the better end of this trade. Colangelo is making some nice moves there.

Bucks acquire Villanueva from Raptors for Ford

June 30, 2006

MILWAUKEE (AP) -- The Milwaukee Bucks traded point guard T.J. Ford to the Toronto Raptors on Friday night for forward Charlie Villanueva and cash.

Ford averaged 12.2 points and a team-high 6.6 assists in 72 games last season following a spinal-cord injury that sidelined him for a season and a half.

"He was an inspiration to all of us when he found the will and strength to fight back from the neck injury he suffered during his rookie season," Bucks general manager Larry Harris said. "We wish him much success in Toronto."

The 6-foot Ford was the No. 8 pick in the 2003 draft.

"We are sorry to see Charlie leave, but getting better comes at a cost," Raptors president and general manager Bryan Colangelo said. "T.J. Ford's best attributes, quickness and playmaking, are a perfect fit for our team."

Harris hopes Villanueva will fill the team's need for a power forward to complement 7-foot center Andrew Bogut, the top pick in the 2005 draft.

Villanueva, selected seventh overall in the 2005 draft, averaged 13.0 points and 6.4 rebounds in 81 games for the Raptors. The former Connecticut star set Toronto rookie records for points with 48 on March 26 at Milwaukee and rebounds with 18 on April 2 against New Orleans.

some-dude
06-30-2006, 10:51 PM
Wow. Big Trade. I personally like Villanueva better than Ford, but with TOR needing a PG, they just got waay better.

Milles
06-30-2006, 10:55 PM
Toronto got a pass first point guard, not a scoring point guard, just what Colangelo likes.

He must have been going, mental, at the end of the season, watching Mike James jacking up shots, at the expense of his bigs.

Stylistic
06-30-2006, 11:10 PM
Bosh wanted a point guard like this. He got one.

dude1394
06-30-2006, 11:15 PM
so what's it say about james?

birdsanctuary
06-30-2006, 11:28 PM
Wow, Toronto just got a lot better...

Nash13
06-30-2006, 11:33 PM
Good trade by the Bucks.

Those on this board that wanted Magloire can kiss his chances of coming here goodbye. They are probably going to trade him for a point guard.

mattyd
06-30-2006, 11:44 PM
so what's it say about james?

Just adds fuel to the fire...he's gotta be next out.

Tokey41
06-30-2006, 11:50 PM
James wants back in Housten and they want him... I think thats likely going down.

Anyway I love the Raps and this trade is awesome. Ford, Mo Pete, Barganani, Bosh, and Rasho? Seems like a huge improvement if you look at last years roster at the start of the season. I believe Loren Woods was the center and Jalen Rose was the SG. Ford is lightning quick much like Harris (maybe faster) so the Raps came out good.

GP
07-01-2006, 12:19 AM
Milwaukee is going to be tough next year. I never understood the rap on Villanueva. I remember Bilas just ripping him to shreds in last years draft. I had seen Villanueva play a few times on TV and I thought he was damned good. I still think he's damned good and he proved it this year. If Ford is fully healthy he's damned good as well. Looks like a win-win trade to me though I give Milwaukee the edge.

nashtymavsfan13
07-01-2006, 01:09 AM
Good trade for the Bucks, Charlie V is a great addition for them. He and Bogut are going to be good together for awhile.

This definetly means James is going to be traded soon, hopefully to the Mavs.

And I've also heard that the Wizards are interested in Magloire. I wouldn't be surprised to see Antonio Daniels involved in the deal if it goes down.