PDA

View Full Version : Peja to New Orleans, 5yrs/$64 million

MavsFanFinley
07-01-2006, 08:19 PM
Stojakovic agrees to terms with Hornets

By JEFF LATZKE, AP Sports Writer
July 1, 2006

OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- The New Orleans Hornets made the first splash of the NBA's free-agent signing period, agreeing to terms Saturday with three-time All-Star Peja Stojakovic.

Stojakovic, who last week opted to become a free agent instead of continue playing for Indiana, will sign a five-year deal worth about $64 million with the Hornets, said his agent, David Bauman.

Bauman said Stojakovic will sign as soon as the NBA's moratorium ends next week. NBA teams were allowed to begin negotiating with free agents on Saturday but cannot officially sign players until July 12.

After playing his first seven seasons with Sacramento, the Kings dealt Stojakovic to Indiana in a midseason trade for Ron Artest. He averaged 19.5 points and shot 46 percent from the field in 40 games with the Pacers but then missed four of Indiana's six playoff games against the New Jersey Nets with a right knee injury. The Pacers lost each game he didn't play.

Stojakovic, 29, opted out of the final year of his six-year contract in hopes of getting a long-term deal and a bump in salary. He had been due to earn $8.125 million next season.

Stojakovic is one of the league's most prolific outside shooters, having hit 40 percent from 3-point range over his eight-year career. He and Seattle's Ray Allen are the only two NBA players to make at least 100 3-pointers in each of the past seven seasons.

Last season, he finished 13th in 3-pointers made (162), and was also second in free-throw shooting (91.5 percent).

Prior to his trade to Indiana, Stojakovic missed nine games -- including one against the Hornets -- with a variety of injuries including a protruding disc in his lower back, a sprained right pinkie finger and a strained groin.

For his career, Stojakovic has averaged 18.4 points and 5.1 rebounds.

DNNF
07-01-2006, 08:25 PM
Stojakovic Looking To Big Easy

1st July, 2006 - 8:41 pm

ESPN - Sharpshooter Peja Stojakovic, long thought to be headed back to Indiana, is now seriously considering an offer from the New Orleans Hornets that is reportedly for 5-years in the $60 million dollor range. If this deal goes down, Stojakovic would be reunited with Byron Scott, who was an assistant with the Kings when Stojakovic was still there.

that's a bit much for Peja who 's on his way down from his career. He should not get more than 8 mil/ year.

nashtymavsfan13
07-01-2006, 08:28 PM
Yeah, that's a lot of money, I bet he takes it. The Hornets are going to be good next year.

some-dude
07-01-2006, 08:55 PM
So much for him trying to resign for a bigger deal in Indy...

auffe34
07-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Well New Orleans had to overpay to get him to leave Indy and come there, but the Hornets might be a playoff contender next year.

birdsanctuary
07-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Wow, that's a lot of cash, good for Peja...

bradleywillcrushyou44
07-01-2006, 09:48 PM
just makes another good team in the west...and another bad team in the east

nashtymavsfan13
07-01-2006, 09:50 PM
The Hornets are going to make the playoffs next year.

some-dude
07-01-2006, 09:55 PM
The Hornets are going to make the playoffs next year.

I wouldn't count on it....they fall hard the second half of last year and getting Peja doesnt really put you over the top.

nashtymavsfan13
07-01-2006, 10:00 PM
I wouldn't count on it....they fall hard the second half of last year and getting Peja doesnt really put you over the top.

Yeah, I'm just making a bold prediction.

Tokey41
07-01-2006, 11:14 PM
Thats way too much for Peja, they must want him really bad. Overpriced players or not the Southwest is just a brutal division to be in and this doesnt make it easier.

rakesh.s
07-01-2006, 11:55 PM
Horrible, there goes another franchise...they're going to regret signing him to this deal.

Today, who would you rather have on your team? Peja or Jason Terry? How much did Terry get? Peja has no business making 12 mill.

vjz
07-01-2006, 11:59 PM
12 mil for a one-dimensional jump-shooter who doesn't rebound or defend? Damn.

But, with a lot less pressure on him, maybe it'll be a good situation for him.

chumdawg
07-02-2006, 01:19 AM
You are INSANE if you think Terry is in Peja's class. Peja has just been in NBA hell the last couple years. The Kings were crumbling around him, and that Indiana situation was not the best one for him.

The guy can flat-out play. Time was, he was broadly considered a top-ten player in the game. I don't believe his skills have diminished considerably since then. He's just been in some awful situations.

I don't know (yet) if it's going to be much better with the NOOKs, but I'm sure it will. Now there is at least a semblance of stability, and I have to believe that is important for a player of Peja's ilk. You have to design gameplans around him. You have to create systems where his inimitable skills can flourish.

Trust me, Peja ain't dead yet. I look for him to come back with a vengeance.

Oh, how Indiana will rue the day they dealt Artest for an expiring contract. It's a downward spiral from here. It gets a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

HexNBA
07-02-2006, 06:34 AM
Thats way too much money

DNNF
07-02-2006, 08:11 AM
You are INSANE if you think Terry is in Peja's class. Peja has just been in NBA hell the last couple years. The Kings were crumbling around him, and that Indiana situation was not the best one for him.

The guy can flat-out play. Time was, he was broadly considered a top-ten player in the game. I don't believe his skills have diminished considerably since then. He's just been in some awful situations.

I don't know (yet) if it's going to be much better with the NOOKs, but I'm sure it will. Now there is at least a semblance of stability, and I have to believe that is important for a player of Peja's ilk. You have to design gameplans around him. You have to create systems where his inimitable skills can flourish.

Trust me, Peja ain't dead yet. I look for him to come back with a vengeance.

Oh, how Indiana will rue the day they dealt Artest for an expiring contract. It's a downward spiral from here. It gets a hell of a lot worse before it gets better.

hell for him the past two years? What !! No Webber ? Bibby is taking over ? So, Peja can't really step up when Webber is gone and be a number 1 guy?

When he's in Indy, he had Oneal, a.l.a Webber like, but the guy still play like shit. Even worse than Steven Jackson.

Peja needs to be a NUMBER 2 option in a team or a dominate CENTER that play with him. So, is the number 2 option, and the one that haven't show anything the past two years worth $12 mil/ year? N.O just got robbed.

Arne
07-02-2006, 09:04 AM
You guys think that New Orleans got robbed?

Their payroll is at something around $40 millions if you include Peja.

Their starting five:

Chris Paul (even now one of the best point guards in the league, will get even better)
Kirk Snyder/Desmond Mason (both great leapers good defenders)
Peja Stojakovic (great shooter a guy who can score 20 on this team and with this point guard on his side)
David West (has developped exceptually well 17/7 in 34 minutes are some great stats and he'll get even better)
Marc Jackson(good rebounder, good scorer) /P.J. Brown (good rebounder, good scorer, good defender)

Plus Speedy Claxton off the bench.

And they've got approximately 5-7 millions left in cap room.

I really like their chances for next season.

DNNF
07-02-2006, 09:10 AM
And again, Peja needs to play with a good PF, or center that could pass out of double team and give him open looks. Marc Jackson can't do that. To pay a spot shooter 12 mils / year is rediculous. Understandable that N.O have cap room, but that's is just way over pay

Arne
07-02-2006, 09:39 AM
And again, Peja needs to play with a good PF, or center that could pass out of double team and give him open looks. Marc Jackson can't do that. To pay a spot shooter 12 mils / year is rediculous. Understandable that N.O have cap room, but that's is just way over pay
A PG that can drive and kick plus a good scorer at PF like David West will do it. Normally Peja is ofcourse overpaid, but it's not stupid in this situation to do this, because as a team like New orleans you don't want to end up like Atlanta waiting every offseason for a big free agent who just won't come.

dude1394
07-02-2006, 10:25 AM
So where are they going to play next year. It looks like a tremendous overpayment to me. But he can shoot the ball and folks won't be able to play off him that's for sure.

aexchange
07-02-2006, 11:45 AM
i like the guy, but wow, talk about overpaying him. i would have expected him to sign for a similar contract that terry signed for. and this guy is always injured.

mattyd
07-02-2006, 12:03 PM
On a different note...any body heard anything about the Hornets making their permanent home in OKC? I remember at the end of the year there was an OKC group interested in buying the team. But for some reason the NBA is dead-set on returning them to NO.

Dtownsfinest
07-02-2006, 12:04 PM
The Hornets will be a 7-8th seed this year. And if that prediction does occur i'd say its well worth overpaying a potential all star to get in the playoffs. Especially for the Hornets.

DubOverdose
07-02-2006, 12:26 PM
I've heard a rumor of the NOH nabbing Tyson Chandler this offseason. I don't care for the Peja signing, but it makes sense if they have a solid starting 5 which would include having Chandler or a similar big man.

fluid.forty.one
07-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Peja is one of the most over-rated players I've seen in the past few years. He has had two different situations and done awful in both.

Kings- Webber is gone, still have Bibby to make plays for you though. Time for Peja to be the number one guy and everyone thought he would flourish. Wait a second, the kings suck now... were they crumbling around him? Umm seems to me they had a pretty good second half once Peja was switched out for somebody. Coincidence?

Indiana- Well Indiana flat out sucks, but since he had proven he couldnt be the number 1 option, atleast he could go back to his comfort zone behind O'neal and be the number 2 guy. Wait, he sucks again? Dang.

He is not worth that contract.

Arne
07-02-2006, 03:34 PM
Peja is one of the most over-rated players I've seen in the past few years. He has had two different situations and done awful in both.

Kings- Webber is gone, still have Bibby to make plays for you though. Time for Peja to be the number one guy and everyone thought he would flourish. Wait a second, the kings suck now... were they crumbling around him? Umm seems to me they had a pretty good second half once Peja was switched out for somebody. Coincidence?

Indiana- Well Indiana flat out sucks, but since he had proven he couldnt be the number 1 option, atleast he could go back to his comfort zone behind O'neal and be the number 2 guy. Wait, he sucks again? Dang.

He is not worth that contract.
So you think when he puts up 19.5 ppg, 6.3 rpg and 1.3 tpg on 46.1% FG-shooting and 40.4% 3pt-shooting and 90.3% FT-shooting in 36.4 minutes he sucks?

fluid.forty.one
07-02-2006, 03:52 PM
Those were last years numbers?

DNNF
07-02-2006, 04:25 PM
That's not this year's number. These numbers are only when he came to the Pacers. Peja shoot 40% and average 16.5 ppg with the kings last year.

The year before that, he shot 44% and 20.0 ppg. He has average around 48 % FG from 2000 to 2004 seasons.

Exactly what I said previously. For a guy who he can't handle to be the number 1 option, who CAN'T creat his own shots, and constantly disappear in the playoff, 12 to 13 mil / a year is way too much. He should only deserved J.T. money.

dalmations202
07-02-2006, 04:27 PM
I would have loved to see Peja beside Dirk, when Nellie was coaching. Nash, Fin, Peja, Dirk, and every big they could get to defend, because let's face it that would be one of the worse defenses in the league, but would be the Phoenix of today. They would be great fun to watch, and score tons on everyone.

Not so sure he is a fit now though, with Avery, and a team that is much more defensive minded.

nashtymavsfan13
07-02-2006, 06:00 PM
I would have loved to see Peja beside Dirk, when Nellie was coaching. Nash, Fin, Peja, Dirk, and every big they could get to defend, because let's face it that would be one of the worse defenses in the league, but would be the Phoenix of today. They would be great fun to watch, and score tons on everyone.

Not so sure he is a fit now though, with Avery, and a team that is much more defensive minded.

We wouldn't have won with that team though. We would also be the Phoenix of today in the sense where we'd never win a title.

mary
04-05-2007, 11:56 PM
10.8 mil / 13 games = $ 830,769.23 per game.

Peja and his surgically repaired back are going to be making some serious dough in the next four years.

For the Hornets' sake (and his own I guess), I hope he recovers.

nashtymavsfan13
04-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Yeah, hopefully he'll be able to recover. I knew the contract was too big, and now it's looking even worse.