View Full Version : Nene resigns with Denver

MavsFanFinley
07-02-2006, 07:06 PM
http://www.denverpost.com/sports/ci_4005750

Nene to stay
Nuggets forward agrees to 6-year, $60 million deal

By Adam Thompson
Denver Post Staff Writer

First the bad news for Nene - the Brazilian soccer team lost in the World Cup on Saturday.

But as painful as that might be for any Brazilian, this weekend ended up far more good than bad for the Nuggets' restricted free agent. He got married Saturday and on Sunday OK'd a deal that will net him $60 million over six years to stay with the team that drafted him.

Nene's agent, Dan Fegan praised Denver owner Stan Kroenke, whose decisiveness helped eliminate a bidding war for the 23-year-old forward, who has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds per game.

"What I've learned through this process is I'm convinced Mr. Kroenke is going to do whatever it takes to bring a championship to Denver," Fegan said. "Make no mistake about it."

Between this deal and the extension small forward Carmelo Anthony agreed to Saturday, Kroenke has committed this weekend to spend approximately $140 million.

Denver may be close to keeping a third player in the fold, too. Fegan also represents power forward Reggie Evans, who is a restricted free agent whose name has already been linked to several teams around the league.

"We're making a lot of progress on Reggie and I'm hopeful we'll reach terms," Fegan said.

fluid.forty.one
07-02-2006, 07:44 PM
He would have been an awesome Mav.

nashtymavsfan13
07-02-2006, 07:46 PM
He would have been an awesome Mav.

Yeah he would have, but a little pricey...

ocelot_ark
07-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Can you say overpayed? I like his potential..but 6/60 is way too much.

fluid.forty.one
07-02-2006, 08:40 PM
Can you say overpayed? I like his potential..but 6/60 is way too much.

That's what I meant nashty, I would have liked to have taken him at a reasonable price.

DNNF
07-02-2006, 09:25 PM
Is this mean K.Mart for sale?

rakesh.s
07-02-2006, 11:58 PM
and here, I thought Damp was overpaid. At least Damp played, and played well in his contract year.

nashtymavsfan13
07-03-2006, 12:56 AM
That's what I meant nashty, I would have liked to have taken him at a reasonable price.

Yeah, I know. He would be a great player to have, but 60 million is way too much.

HexNBA
07-03-2006, 04:22 AM
Agreed with the rest, way too much for a guy who really hasnt shown all that much

DevinHarriswillstart
07-03-2006, 04:56 PM
60 million is insane to pay a player who didn't play last season. Nene's best year was arguable his rookie season. They now have the most expensive and most injury prone front line. Does Denver really think K Mart, Camby and Nene will stay healthy for a full season? Thumbs down Kiki.

Five-ofan
07-03-2006, 06:48 PM
I dont think kiki has the reigns any more but good lord. I thought we payed quis alot based on potential. I know everyone thinks hes gonna be good(me included) but he has been in the nba for a while now and he has never been better than an average nba player. I bet JET wished he waited a couple of days before signing his deal. I know they arent similar at all but good lord jet is a proven quality nba player.

nashtymavsfan13
07-03-2006, 07:09 PM
Nene agrees to $60 million deal to stay in Denver

By ARNIE STAPLETON, AP Sports Writer
July 2, 2006

DENVER (AP) -- Power forward Nene made two big commitments over the weekend.

On Saturday, he got married in Rio de Janeiro. On Sunday, he agreed to a six-year, $60 million deal to stay with the Denver Nuggets.

His agent, Dan Fegan, interrupted Nene's honeymoon in his native Brazil with the good news.

"Ecstatic couldn't be too strong a word," Fegan said Sunday night from Los Angeles.

Combined with the five-year, $80 million extension that Carmelo Anthony agreed to Saturday, Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke spent the first weekend of free agency committing some $140 million toward building what he hopes will be a championship contender in the very near future.

"If ever there was any doubt about Mr. Kroenke's desire to bring a championship to Denver, this weekend's events put that to rest forever," Fegan said.

The contracts, which can be signed July 12, also will nudge the Nuggets into luxury tax territory.

Nene, who has career averages of 10.7 points and 6.2 rebounds, played just three minutes last season before blowing out his right knee on opening night. He is still recovering from surgery to repair a torn anterior cruciate ligament and isn't expected to return to full-court activity for another two months.

He also missed 27 games in 2004-05 due to injuries, but the restricted free agent was one of the most prized players on the market because of his youth -- he's only 23 -- and rare mix of brawn and athleticism for a man who packs 260 pounds on a 6-foot-11 frame.

"He has great size, great courage, great fundamentals and an upside that any NBA team would want on their roster," coach George Karl said.

That's why Fegan was surprised the deal, negotiated by Nuggets player personnel director Mark Warkentien, came together so quickly.

"What this should signal to the Denver fans is the Nuggets are committed to bringing a championship to Denver," Fegan said. "And I don't believe they're through. I believe they're going to add more pieces."

One of those could be another of Fegan's clients, power forward Reggie Evans, who joined the Nuggets at the trade deadline and solidified Denver's defense down the stretch.

Fegan said he was hopeful to reach an agreement with Denver on Evans.

Keeping Nene also means forward Kenyon Martin likely is one step closer to leaving Denver.

Martin and Karl feuded last season and the two haven't spoken since Martin, who is still due more than $70 million over five years, was suspended after his halftime blowout in Game 2 of the Nuggets' playoff series against the Los Angeles Clippers.

It was a bitter ending to a tumultuous season that started with Nene going down on opening night.

Nene's injury robbed the Nuggets of a presence in the low post last season and forced Karl to completely change his strategy. Denver won the Northwest Division but was dispatched from the playoffs in the first round for the third straight season.

AP Sports Writer Pat Graham in Denver contributed to this story.

MFFL
07-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Is this mean K.Mart for sale?

On a blue light special no less.