PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Ben Wallace signs with Bulls

Evilmav2
07-03-2006, 07:40 PM
Wow... It looks like Wallace was insulted by the Piston's offer and just verbally agreed to sign with the Bulls...

Ben Wallace has deal with Bulls
A league source tells ESPN.com that Ben Wallace has informed the Detroit Pistons that he is leaving the team and has accepted an offer from the Chicago Bulls thought to be worth $52 million over four years.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/index

Five-ofan
07-03-2006, 07:45 PM
I dont understand the bulls. I know this will be heralded as great and all but i just dont understand. Chandler, wallace, and thomas if he doesnt suck like i think he will all seem just a little redundant dont ya think? They were already one of if not the best defensive teams in the league. This doesnt help the fact that they cant score.

Rhylan
07-03-2006, 07:46 PM
$3M total difference... kinda surprising. Oh well. This really changes things for the overrated Detroit Pistons. Great signing for the Bulls.

Five-o, you can't count on Thomas.. kid is young. Chandler and Wallace makes a nice little defensive 4/5 combo, although I agree about the lack of scoring. But you don't have to score in the East.

dude1394
07-03-2006, 07:50 PM
$3M total difference... kinda surprising. Oh well. This really changes things for the overrated Detroit Pistons. Great signing for the Bulls.

Five-o, you can't count on Thomas.. kid is young. Chandler and Wallace makes a nice little defensive 4/5 combo, although I agree about the lack of scoring. But you don't have to score in the East.

My,my...things be a-hopping now. Good stuff. I think the bulls will actually regret this because I'm not a huge wallace fan, but they surely got it done. They've stripped their team down to nothing and now are surely in the mix now.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 08:00 PM
Very cool. I absolutly hated when the Bulls got bad, it just always bothered me. Considering they took the world champs to 6 last year, I could actually see them making atleast the Conf. Finals this year.

Five-ofan
07-03-2006, 08:01 PM
Oh trust me i dont count on thomas at all. You can read my thoughts in any of the draft threads. The bulls need a go to scorer. They could even use a robin if they cant get a batman. Does anyone really think that Hinrich gordon Deng/sefalosha Chandler and wallace is a championship contending lineup? If hinrich and gordon arent BOTH on fire that team cant score 90. Everyone will say they are getting close to a title and thats all fine and well but they are slightly better than dallas sans dirk nowitzki. If they win 52 games i will be shocked.

Yes they have 2 good defensive bigs now the problem is neither is a great man 2 man defender. They still cant guard the duncans or dirks of the world.

MavsFanFinley
07-03-2006, 08:09 PM
I like the signing for the Bulls. Especially since it's 4 years/$52 million instead of the rumored 5year/$75 million that was floating around for a couple days.

The rumored deal that will send Chandler to New Orleans for PJ Brown might just have some back to it.

MFFL
07-03-2006, 08:10 PM
I thought Detriot's offer was WAAAAY over what Wallace was worth. Apparently I was wrong.

vjz
07-03-2006, 08:11 PM
Wow, what a blow to the Pistons! I hope they didn't lose Wallace for only 3-4 mil. difference.

nashtymavsfan13
07-03-2006, 08:16 PM
Wow, the Bulls got it done. They could have spent this money better, but they just got better. They are going to be a good team next year. Detroit is done. They'll still be good, but they won't win 60 again next year.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 08:29 PM
Wow, the Bulls got it done. They could have spent this money better, but they just got better. They are going to be a good team next year. Detroit is done. They'll still be good, but they won't win 60 again next year.

And expect Rasheed to implode.

Five-ofan
07-03-2006, 08:46 PM
They wont win 60 but lets not forget that they didnt win 60 either of the previous 2 years when they went to the finals. Detroit did get worse but i dont expect the implosion everyone else does.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 08:51 PM
I'm referring to the fact that Rasheed usually goes a little crime-crazy when a team is on it's tail end.

rakesh.s
07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
this should be the end of the detroit era

boy are they going to miss darko or what...

Drbio
07-03-2006, 08:56 PM
I think this is a good move by the Bulls....a damn good move. Obiously Skiels et al have something else up their sleeve. Possibly with Chandler but maybe not. Solid FA signing. Bulls fans will be dancing in the streets. I'd love to have a guy like Wallace on my team.

Drbio
07-03-2006, 08:57 PM
boy are they going to miss darko or what...

Great line....:D

MavsFanFinley
07-03-2006, 08:59 PM
Obviously it's a blow to the Pistons but it's early in the off season. The Bulls second choice was Joel Przybilla so I wonder if the Pistons go after him now? The Spurs are in the running too so who knows.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 09:09 PM
Joel is a nice kid who works hard, but he's no Wallace.

MavsFanFinley
07-03-2006, 09:14 PM
Joel is a nice kid who works hard, but he's no Wallace.

You think? I wasn't suggesting so. I was simply saying that the off season is early and it's jumping the gun to say that Detroit is done and finished.

Drbio
07-03-2006, 09:17 PM
Prizz is a piece player. Not in Wallace's class, but MFF's point is good. Detroit will make some kind of move. I doubt it is only Joel.

aexchange
07-03-2006, 09:18 PM
I like the signing for the Bulls. Especially since it's 4 years/$52 million instead of the rumored 5year/$75 million that was floating around for a couple days.

The rumored deal that will send Chandler to New Orleans for PJ Brown might just have some back to it.

can we send stackhouse to the bulls for chandler? the bulls get the big guard they've been looking for and in the last year of his contract, we get a talented big with loads of potential.

seems much fairer than a chandler for pj brown swap. i like the trade even better if we can add in daniels and talk them into giving us deng or gordon.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 09:56 PM
I'd go for that aexchange.

DevinHarriswillstart
07-03-2006, 10:03 PM
To be honest, in todays NBA, Ben Wallace is not as valuable as he might have been a few years ago. I mean we got Diop for pennies, and he is a poor man's Wallace. I dunno, I agree that the Bull's need scoring so nabbing him doesn't make too much sense. I thought the idea was getting team needs.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 10:10 PM
To be honest, in todays NBA, Ben Wallace is not as valuable as he might have been a few years ago. I mean we got Diop for pennies, and he is a poor man's Wallace. I dunno, I agree that the Bull's need scoring so nabbing him doesn't make too much sense. I thought the idea was getting team needs.

Well aex trade idea makes sense for chicago then.

Dtownsfinest
07-03-2006, 10:52 PM
Damn. THe Baby Bulls aren't so baby anymore. This is already a crazy offseason and we are what? A week or two in? Great move by the Bulls. I don't think they could get any younger. At some point they have to start to get veterans in there along with these young guys. If i'm the Bulls I think they still need that one veteran scorer who can hit the open shot. Possibly a 12-15 a game guy.

Tokey41
07-03-2006, 11:24 PM
Irony at its best, they had too many great big men and now they dont have enough. Like someone said how much do you think they miss Darko right about now? They will still be good though.

As for the Bulls... I dont see whats wrong, I wouldnt have gotten Ben with Chandler and Thomas already there but maybe they are still thinking of trading Chandler and Thomas can learn some thinga from Ben. I think they could trade Chandler for a scorer...

Edit: Oh idea... anyone know what Chandlers contract is? How about Stack for him? That way we dont have to ditch Quis and we get that backup (defensive) PF and a viable third center... fourth if you count Mbenga. What do you think?

4cwebb
07-03-2006, 11:26 PM
I'm having trouble believing that Ben Wallace walked on the Pistons, but I guess his clashes with Flip, together with the fact that Flip is still around, probably lead him to take a better offer elsewhere if he could get it. I don't know that this helps the Bulls as much as it hurts one of the teams in the their way.

chumdawg
07-03-2006, 11:40 PM
Now Dampier has competition for Worst Contract in 2009.

fluid.forty.one
07-03-2006, 11:44 PM
It will be a 3-way with Steve Nash.

#1MavsFan
07-03-2006, 11:58 PM
The deal is actually 4 years 60 million, espn just fixed it on their homepage.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 12:01 AM
Pistons Move On, Put Offer To Przybilla

4th July, 2006 - 12:21 am

The Oregonian - It looks like the Detroit Pistons didn't waste any time trying to secure a replacement for Ben Wallace.

According to Jason Quick from The Oregonian, at 9 p.m. Portland time, Przybilla will have a tele-conference with his agent, Bill Duffy, regarding an offer from the Detroit Pistons .

This comes after former Detroit center Wallace agreed in principle to a free agent contract with the Chicago Bulls . The Pistons immediately made contact with Duffy regarding Przybilla, and apparently Przybilla will strongly consider the offer from the Pistons.

Reached at about 8 p.m. Portland time, Duffy said he expects Przybilla to make his decision by Tuesday morning after spending a night mulling over Detroit's offer.

Quick belives that the Pistons are favorites to land Przybilla's services.

Rhylan
07-04-2006, 12:42 AM
That $60M number makes me like this deal a lot less. I still think the Bulls improved their team, of course.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 12:44 AM
Hey Joel could be the 2nd blazer sent to spark the pistons.

Drbio
07-04-2006, 12:46 AM
ESPN is reporting that Chandler could be traded to NO/OKC for JR Smith and PJ Brown by tomorrow. Bulls have done well if that happens.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 01:06 AM
ESPN is reporting that Chandler could be traded to NO/OKC for JR Smith and PJ Brown by tomorrow. Bulls have done well if that happens.

That'd be a great trade for the Bulls.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 01:18 AM
The wild, wild East

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
July 3, 2006

Why in the world were the Detroit Pistons willing to offer Ben Wallace, a player with a limited skill set (no offense), a four-year, $49.6 million deal, even if the soon-to-be 32-year-old would likely be an overpaid shell of himself in its final season or two?

Not that it mattered, because the Chicago Bulls quickly trumped that bloated deal with an even richer offer, for four years and nearly $60 million, one that Wallace accepted Monday night according to multiple media reports. Wallace's addition thrusts Chicago, if you can believe it, back into championship contention.

That move is something, but is still isn't as gutsy as the Boston Celtics plotting to trade half its young prospects to the Philadelphia 76ers for Allen Iverson in a roll of the dice that he and Paul Pierce immediately can jell, share the ball and win big. Or, perhaps, even as surprising as traditionally sleepy franchises such as the Milwaukee Bucks and Toronto Raptors quickly swapping young talents T.J. Ford and Charlie Villanueva to improve their clubs immediately.

Why in world is all of this happening? The answer, which makes perfect sense, is threefold:

1. LeBron James. 2. Dwyane Wade. 3. Dwight Howard.

You know how they are always talking about windows for sports teams as in the window to win a championship is about to close? Well, in the Eastern Conference at least, everyone who doesn't have James, Wade or Howard (Cleveland, Miami, Orlando, respectively) is about to have their window close; if not next season, then certainly by 2008-09 and beyond.

James, 21, Wade, 24, and Howard, 20, are not just three good young players with bright futures. They are generational basketball talents, guys so good, so determined, so clutch that it is impossible not to envision them dominating the NBA (and certainly the East) for years and years to come.

In some ways, they already have. It is Wade, of course, who is the reigning Finals MVP, the guy who led the Miami Heat to the championship by getting past both Detroit and the Dallas Mavericks, which boasted arguably better teams. Wade, though, was unstoppable. He's the reason Miami held a parade.

Despite that, he isn't a better all-around player than James, who despite being surrounded by a forgettable cast in Cleveland pushed the Pistons to seven games in the Eastern semifinals. And Wade doesn't play a position as important as Howard does as the Orlando Magic's utterly dominating young center.

Fast forward to the spring of 2009 is there any doubt that James, with a better roster around him, has the Cleveland Cavaliers as the team to beat in the East? Certainly, unless you think Howard has anchored a quickly improving Magic team into that status. Or Pat Riley has rebuilt the Heat (post-Shaq) around Wade.

Yes, there are other great young players in the East Toronto's Chris Bosh is 22, and the Washington Wizards' Gilbert Arenas is just 24 but at this stage, from what we've seen in this conference, these three are the guys. This is the future.

And everyone (except perhaps Detroit) knows it.

If you want to win a championship, you had better do it right here, right now. You can't build up a team with young players and hope it works in three years because the fact is that your young players aren't as good the young players on Cleveland, Miami and Orlando. It isn't even close. You're going to lose.

You can't worry about whether a contract is a dog in 2010 and will affect your team's ability to compete for a title because James, Wade and Howard already are going to overwhelmingly affect your team's ability to compete for a title. You aren't getting out of the second round.

For the rest of the East, the future isn't coming; tomorrow's gone. You'd have to piece together a genius roster of lesser parts to win it; a gamble with far longer odds than whether Iverson and Pierce can somehow turn into Bird and McHale.

As bad a contract as Detroit was willing to give Ben Wallace, a guy who displayed almost no offense at all under Flip Saunders, the Pistons will rue the day they allowed Chicago to outbid them. It's not that Wallace is worth that money he isn't. It is that with Big Ben it is the Pistons not the aging Heat who enter next season as the favorites in the East. There still was time to take a run at one more championship.

Instead, Detroit won't win this year so it can be more competitive but certainly not title worthy in 2010 and 2011. It is my guess that fans would have traded a shot at the Finals in 2007 for losing in the first round, rather than the second, in a couple of years.

In the Pistons' case this is the fallout of their disastrous decision to select Darko Milicic No. 2 in the 2004 draft, passing on Wade, Bosh, Carmelo Anthony and others in a historic draft. GM Joe Dumars is terrific at putting teams together, and the Pistons overcame the mistake in 2005, winning the title. But even with the best starting five in basketball, Detroit was pushed by James and doused by Wade this year.

And those guys haven't even hit their prime. Yet.

This is why Chicago made not only the smart move but the only move if you really care about winning a championship. It will pay more to go all-in right now, the season when Detroit suddenly is reeling, Miami is hoping all its old guys hang on and Cleveland and Orlando aren't quite there yet.

It is, in some ways, the exact formula one and done Pat Riley used to make a series of daring moves last summer. In Miami's case it was because of their age. In this case it is about others' quickly maturing youth.

Either way, in the wild, wild East the here and now is about the here and now. Sit back and wait, and you might be waiting a long, long time.

EricaLubarsky
07-04-2006, 05:04 AM
It'll be funny if the over-the-hill 30-something Wallace goes on to win two straight MVPs

HexNBA
07-04-2006, 05:26 AM
The Pistons offer was a real fair one for the type of player Wallace is, and $60 million is definitely too rich. But hey its only 4 years (I bet he does only 2 real well) so its not like the Bulls will regret this for years to come.

dude1394
07-04-2006, 08:24 AM
Now that's some star-love going on in that article.

sike
07-04-2006, 10:39 AM
wow. I can't believe they let Ben slip away...

their run is OVER.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 11:20 AM
I forgot that Wade is 3 years older than James.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 04:26 PM
One-two punch

Marty Burns, SI.com

The NBA free-agent negotiating period tipped off over the Fourth of July holiday, and there was no shortage of fireworks. Top-tier free agents Ben Wallace (Bulls), Peja Stojakovic (Hornets), Tim Thomas (Clippers) and Vladimir Radmanovic (Lakers) declared their independence from their current teams, while Jason Terry (Mavs), Nen (Nuggets) and Sam Cassell (Clippers) paid allegiance to their homelands and agreed to re-sign.

Still available on the open market, as of Tuesday, were such intriguing names as Al Harrington, Bonzi Wells, Drew Gooden, Joel Przybilla and Chris Wilcox.

Clearly, Wallace's decision to bolt Detroit for a four-year, $52 million deal in Chicago was the Shot Heard 'Round the World. Bulls GM John Paxson pulled off a coup in snagging Big Ben out of Motown's backyard. Not only did Paxson improve the Bulls significantly, but he dealt a devastating blow to a key Central Division rival.

The Cavs, Pacers and Bucks also now suddenly have a clearer path to dethroning Detroit as division champs next season. Paxson should be getting thank-you notes from his Central Division GM peers any day now.

The Bulls, of course, are more than happy to oblige, since they feel this move will take them to the top. Chicago has finished No. 1 in the NBA in field goal percentage allowed for two straight years -- without a dominant center to protect the rim. By adding Wallace, a four-time Defensive Player of the Year, to its core of Kirk Hinrich, Ben Gordon, Luol Deng and Andres Nocioni, the Bulls suddenly look a lot like a defensive juggernaut along the lines of, well, Big Ben's old Pistons (albeit one without a low-post presence such as Rasheed Wallace).

Paxson might not be done dealing, either. According to reports, the Bulls are shopping the now-expendable Tyson Chandler in hopes of landing another veteran frontcourt player. One report had the Hornets sending P.J. Brown to Chicago in exchange for Chandler, who has a hefty remaining contract (five years, $54 million).

If Chicago can add a player like Brown, their frontcourt would be well fortified for a deep playoff run. The Bulls would still lack a low-post threat to draw double teams, but they just might be able to get away without that dimension. Chicago coach Scott Skiles was able to use a drive-and-kick attack last season to get his team to the playoffs and throw a scare into the eventual champion Heat, so it's not out of the question to think he could get them to the next level without a high-scoring big man.

For the Pistons, meanwhile, there is no way of sugarcoating the loss of Wallace. Detroit relied heavily on Big Ben's presence in the middle during its run over the past three seasons, and there is no way to replace him. The fact that the Pistons let him walk away for nothing -- GM Joe Dumars reportedly tried to work a sign-and-trade to no avail -- only makes it harder for fans to stomach.

The only consolation for Detroit is that it will now have greater financial flexibility going forward. Dumars was rightfully leery about investing $60 million over four years in a player who will turn 32 in September. He also might have been a bit concerned about team chemistry, given Wallace's displeasure with his role in Flip Saunders' offense. The Pistons now can move on and maybe ramp it up even more offensively. They are expected to pursue Wells or Przybilla, though they will have only the $5 million midlevel exception to offer.

The problem for the Pistons is that they tried the more offensive approach this season and it didn't work. Even with the new rules and the greater offensive flow in the NBA game these days, the Heat proved in the Finals that a team still needs to be able to make stops in the half-court to win the big prize. It's difficult to imagine the Pistons being a better team next season without Big Ben.