PDA

View Full Version : Nazr to the Pistons

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 02:35 PM
I guess Pryzbilla took too long to make his decision. Or maybe he turned them down early this morning and they moved on.

Pistons add Mohammed to try to fill Wallace's void

ESPN.com news services

Free agent center Nazr Mohammed of the Spurs has agreed to a deal with the Detroit Pistons, ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher is reporting.

Terms were unavailable. Mohammed replaces Ben Wallace, who told the team Monday that he was leaving to join the Chicago Bulls.

Wallace, who agreed to a four-year, $60 million deal with Chicago, helped Detroit advance to four straight conference finals -- the first team to do so since the Bulls of the early 1990s.

Mohammed played in 80 games for San Antonio last season, averaging 6.2 points and 5.2 rebounds.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 02:38 PM
Wow, so does that mean Duncan is going to play center?

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 02:45 PM
Wow, so does that mean Duncan is going to play center?

RC Buford stated that Duncan would likely be taking on more minutes at center but they are still looking for someone other than adding Jaktovas.

Nazr wasn't in the plans so the only hurt possibly comes from not getting something in return with a sign/trade deal. He turned down there extension before last season started and they weren't going to bump it up this summer. It was no secret that Rasho and Nazr would be gone this summer.

I don't know whether this means Pryzbilla joins the Spurs or returns to Portland but it's awfully quiet in San Antonio. A little too quiet if you ask me.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 02:48 PM
Portland will have him coming off the bench, if Pryzbilla comes to SA do you think they will start him?

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 02:54 PM
The deal is 4 years/$30 million. The Pistons just used their entire MLE on Nazr.

If Pryzbilla goes to the Spurs he'd be starting imo. According to the SA Express they didn't even offer him the full MLE so unless they offered the full I don't know if he ends up there.

I'd just like to know whether he turned them down or they got tired of waiting.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 02:55 PM
Portland will have him coming off the bench, if Pryzbilla comes to SA do you think they will start him?

Portland will have who coming off the bench? If Przyz re-signs with Portland he'll be a starter. I think Przy will play Finley-like minutes on the Spurs.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Double post

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 02:56 PM
Could be that they got tired of waiting. The whole time they were waiting they were probably thinking "omg we dont have a center, omg we dont have a center" and that's enough to make a championship caliber team freak out.

Remember how "great" the mavs were without a center? Considering the lack of offensive power they have, I really doubt the pistons could play small ball. Nice pickup by the Pistons though, I didn't even think about Nazr.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 02:58 PM
Portland will have who coming off the bench? If Przyz re-signs with Portland he'll be a starter. I think Przy will play Finley-like minutes on the Spurs.

Isn't Raef a C? Raef will play before Przy.

*edit* nevermind, I was just used to us using him as a C. Wow their Foward position is really clogged with Randolph, Aldrige, and Raef.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:00 PM
Isn't Raef a C? Raef will play before Przy.

Yeah, they'll probably split time. I'd expect Przy to start though, with Raef coming off the bench to provide scoring as a backup for Przy and Randolph.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 03:01 PM
Przy really isn't that good at all.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:03 PM
Yeah, that's true. Isn't he pretty young though? That might get him the start. Either way he and Raeff will split time, if he re-signs. If they want Raeff to start, they won't re-sign Pryz.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 03:04 PM
Why do you say that? Raef can't be the only center on the team, he's not even really a center.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:10 PM
Why do you say that? Raef can't be the only center on the team, he's not even really a center.

Yeah that's true. I was just thinking that if they want to start Raeff, why would they re-sign Pryz. I forgot they traded Ratliff, so they do need a backup. I expect both Pryz and Raeff to split time.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 03:12 PM
Przy really isn't that good at all.

He's not that bad. You do realize that he averaged 6pts, 7rbs, 2blks a game in only 25 minutes. Imagine him next to Duncan now.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Which is more likely, Pryz going to the Spurs or him re-signing with the Blazers? If the Spurs offer their whole MLE, I think he'll go there. If they don't, I say he re-signs with Portland.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:13 PM
Man, Pryz's name gets annoying to try to spell.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 03:18 PM
Here's what Jason Quick had to say. He's a writer for one of the Portland papers. He was the first to report the call with Detroit last night and about Pryzbilla's decision coming today.

Just got word that the Detroit Pistons have signed free agent center Nazr Mohammed to a four-year deal at the midlevel exception, effectively ending any chance of Blazers center Joel Przybilla going to Detroit.

Przybilla is still expected to make a decision today, and it is believed to be contemplating between the Blazers, who have offered a five-year, $30 million deal; San Antonio, who offered four years and about $24 million; and perhaps Cleveland or Sacramento.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 03:21 PM
Since I live near portland I kinda hope he stays, only because he's one of the few good guys we have. (crime wise)

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:33 PM
I was watching Stephen A Smith's show, "Quite Frankly" the other day, and the Portland Trail Blazers owner or GM or something was on there, and he said they are trying to improve the image of the team and they want Pryz to return.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:34 PM
So basically the decision for him is more money or better team....

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Hope he goes for more money. The draft choices made by the blazers were supurb and it looks like they are shipping out miles and randolph. Blazers are on the upswing, and Joel should be a part of that.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 03:58 PM
Yeah the Blazers are improving, so there is a decent chance he'll stay with them.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 04:05 PM
Speaking of the blazers improving, have you seen their re-done nba site? www.nba.com/blazers

looks very nice

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 04:07 PM
Wow, that's an awesome site. I wish the Mavs would re-do their site.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 05:24 PM
Well, Pryz decided to stay with the Blazers. I knew it.

bobatundi
07-04-2006, 05:58 PM
So do the Spurs have a center on their roster at all? Who's available for them to get now? Interesting development for our divisional rivals.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 06:05 PM
If they are preparing to go small, then does that mean the spurs are finally adapting to beat US instead of the other way around?

bsmit
07-04-2006, 06:06 PM
The Spurs can have P-Pod!!!!!!

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
PPod for Tim Duncan? Maybe they can throw in a 1st round draft pick or something.

dude1394
07-04-2006, 06:11 PM
I think the only guy they have is that Oberto fella. That's it, no more centers.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 07:15 PM
They have Robertas Javtokas but they said he won't be a starter and that's why they're looking for another big.

The Spurs must not have wanted Pryzbilla that bad because they never upped their offer. And I don't believe that crap about going into the season with Duncan/Javtokas/Oberto as their center combo.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 07:19 PM
Yeah, they'll sign a center or a PF before the season starts, but who's left?

Could they possibly be going after Harrington? Have him play the 4 and Duncan play the 5.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 07:32 PM
Another reason they might not offer a big many years is that they believe Ian Mahinmi will be ready next year. He signed with Pau Orthez for 1 year and the coach of that team has very close ties with the Spurs. He was an assistant coach for the Spurs summer league team last year and Ian will supposedly be his pet project.

They freed up a lot of money by getting rid of Rasho's contract so no need to spend it on the first available center. It would be smarter to wing it with someone like Wright or Pollard for a year and try again next summer.

dude1394
07-04-2006, 08:14 PM
Another reason they might not offer a big many years is that they believe Ian Mahinmi will be ready next year. He signed with Pau Orthez for 1 year and the coach of that team has very close ties with the Spurs. He was an assistant coach for the Spurs summer league team last year and Ian will supposedly be his pet project.

They freed up a lot of money by getting rid of Rasho's contract so no need to spend it on the first available center. It would be smarter to wing it with someone like Wright or Pollard for a year and try again next summer.

I don't quite see how they can sit back and be so passive. With the mavs coming off knocking them out, amare/mcgrady being back it would seem like a give up year to try and wait it out.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 08:17 PM
Maybe they are trying to pull another Tim Duncan lottery scam.

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 08:39 PM
I don't quite see how they can sit back and be so passive. With the mavs coming off knocking them out, amare/mcgrady being back it would seem like a give up year to try and wait it out.

I don't know whether they're being passive or not. I'm only guessing at the reasons they didn't overpay to get Pryzbilla or to keep Nazr. You get Jaktovas this year and have your other big working with a guy who's close to the Spurs for a year overseas.

They have told Scola that he's not in the plans this year and have been trying to trade his rights.

The Spurs are good at misleading. You hear this rumor or about having interest in that guy. Or how they're content with what they have. And then they sign a player or get a player in a trade that you didn't expect.

dude1394
07-04-2006, 08:55 PM
I don't know whether they're being passive or not. I'm only guessing at the reasons they didn't overpay to get Pryzbilla or to keep Nazr. You get Jaktovas this year and have your other big working with a guy who's close to the Spurs for a year overseas.

They have told Scola that he's not in the plans this year and have been trying to trade his rights.

The Spurs are good at misleading. You hear this rumor or about having interest in that guy. Or how they're content with what they have. And then they sign a player or get a player in a trade that you didn't expect.

If you are saying that they are looking at something else but not publishing it okay. But I can't believe that they would go into the season without a center.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 08:56 PM
They've got to get a center via trade or FA, but I think they are trying to look at all the options and not overpay.

nashtymavsfan13
07-04-2006, 08:57 PM
Nobody answered my Harrington question. Are the Spurs possibly going to pursue him, then play him at 4, Duncan at the 5?

MavsFanFinley
07-04-2006, 09:05 PM
Dude, I refuse to believe they go into the season without a center or another power forward (if they move Duncan to center) either. I can only guess that they'll be happy with a guy like Pollard/Wright/Collins for a year or they're trying to get someone through a trade.

Harrington? Pipe dream and doubt it happens. He's looking to get paid and the Spurs don't have the funds.

some-dude
07-04-2006, 09:06 PM
Nobody answered my Harrington question. Are the Spurs possibly going to pursue him, then play him at 4, Duncan at the 5?

Atlanta Journal-Constitution - The Al Harrington era in Atlanta is close to becomming officially over. The Hawks are actively looking to complete a sign and trade deal, possibly involving Indiana or Golden State.

"As of right now it's pretty clear to me that I won't be back in a Hawks uniform next year," Harrington said by phone Monday afternoon from his offseason home in Los Angeles. "It's pretty much a wrap for me there.
---------------

I'm sure the Spurs are looking for him also but it doesnt mention them as potential suitors.

chumdawg
07-04-2006, 09:59 PM
From the Spurs point of view, who are they trying to get a center in order to compete against? They had two centers (at least one of which signed for significant money recently), and they didn't use them against Dallas. Just like Dallas didn't use Dampier against Phoenix.

It's not like there is a Shaq in the conference anymore. Maybe they are going small, too.

dude1394
07-04-2006, 10:00 PM
I would think that a season of having duncan playing center would be pretty tough for them. Too many fouls for example and they are already a bad rebounding team.

fluid.forty.one
07-04-2006, 10:12 PM
God I hope they try to play Duncan at center all year. Let's see if Pop looks like a 'genius' then.

sike
07-04-2006, 11:17 PM
spurs looking weaker on the inside....me likey!

DubOverdose
07-04-2006, 11:49 PM
What is this? Are the Spurs going to tank this season so they can get Greg Oden and have a championship team for the next 10-15 years?

sike
07-05-2006, 12:58 AM
What is this? Are the Spurs going to tank this season so they can get Greg Oden and have a championship team for the next 10-15 years?
genius...and yes...they are that low!

nashtymavsfan13
07-05-2006, 02:52 AM
Atlanta Journal-Constitution - The Al Harrington era in Atlanta is close to becomming officially over. The Hawks are actively looking to complete a sign and trade deal, possibly involving Indiana or Golden State.

"As of right now it's pretty clear to me that I won't be back in a Hawks uniform next year," Harrington said by phone Monday afternoon from his offseason home in Los Angeles. "It's pretty much a wrap for me there.
---------------

I'm sure the Spurs are looking for him also but it doesnt mention them as potential suitors.

Thanks, wow it'd be nice if he went to the Warriors.

sike
07-05-2006, 09:06 AM
I'd love to see the Warriors get off the ground...for some reason I've always liked them...

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 09:34 AM
and the wrist-slitting continues...

Don't worry Spurts fans, Kevin Willis is still available.

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 10:09 AM
and the wrist-slitting continues...

Don't worry Spurts fans, Kevin Willis is still available.

who is slitting their wrist over this? oh wait you just made that up!!.. ok..

sike
07-05-2006, 10:11 AM
who is slitting their wrist over this? oh wait you just made that up!!.. ok..
good one.

kingmalaki
07-05-2006, 10:59 AM
As A Rockets fan I would love to see the Spurs go with Duncan at C. He can't handle Yao (the new Yao, assuming he plays like he did at the end of last season). That move should help the Mavs match-up as well.

I wonder if everyone is just deciding to go small ball now, to keep up with Dallas and Pho.

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 11:08 AM
I wonder if everyone is just deciding to go small ball now, to keep up with Dallas.To "keep up with Dallas" your team needs to go 10-12 deep.

kingmalaki
07-05-2006, 11:12 AM
To "keep up with Dallas" your team needs to go 10-12 deep.

I wouldn't say that. The Heat weren't 10 deep, and neither were the Spurs (who went 7 with Dallas).

I think teams need to be able to guard the perimiter and score to keep up with Dallas and Phoenix. But the champs for the last 2 years have been halfcourt teams, that happened to have guards that could penetrate (Manu/Parker & Wade).

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 11:31 AM
oh wait you just made that up...The old get older, and the summer of your discontent becomes more excruciating by the day.

From Champs to Chumps in just 13 months.

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 11:55 AM
The old get older, and the summer of your discontent becomes more excruciating by the day.

From Champs to Chumps in just 13 months.

and the mavs from chumps to chokers?

fluid.forty.one
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
Hey at least we made it out of the 2nd round last year. Who did we have to go through again?

fluid.forty.one
07-05-2006, 12:36 PM
genius...and yes...they are that low!

I said the same thing like 10 posts ago :(

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 12:48 PM
and the mavs from chumps to chokers?Assumptions like this imply that I give two shits about beating anybody besides the San Ant_ni_.

In actuality I only care about dashing the hopes and dreams of Spurts fans like yourself, and claiming bragging rights in the process. I'm doing just fine relishing in the San Ant_ni_ 2 steps forward, 3 steps back approach to the off-season. Watching Nazr walk, kinda like watching several FAs walk on by, has been great comedy. I hope you enjoying the rotten off-season cherry on top of a gut-wrenching playoff sundae.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the remainder of the summer...When will Luis Scola annouce he's not leaving his club team, again? Will Manu get hairplugs? Is Eva pregnant? Exciting time to be a spurs fan... Only two more months till you can root for our football team.

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 12:57 PM
Assumptions like this imply that I give two shits about beating anybody besides the San Ant_ni_.

In actuality I only care about dashing the hopes and dreams of Spurts fans like yourself, and claiming bragging rights in the process. I'm doing just fine relishing in the San Ant_ni_ 2 steps forward, 3 steps back approach to the off-season. Watching Nazr walk, kinda like watching several FAs walk on by, has been great comedy. I hope you enjoying the rotten off-season cherry on top of a gut-wrenching playoff sundae.

I can't wait to see what's in store for the remainder of the summer...When will Luis Scola annouce he's not leaving his club team, again? Will Manu get hairplugs? Is Eva pregnant? Exciting time to be a spurs fan... Only two more months till you can root for our football team.

Rotten offseason/ dashing dreams ? Losing long cotracts on guys who don't play anymore sucks. How's Bradley, Tariq and Finley doing?

Not over paying guys is bad thing how's damp been playing?

Yeah I hear ya.. the Spurs organization has never been able to build teams to win championships and the Mavs have..

Gut wrenching defeat? Nothing could be worse than choking your only opportunity to win a ring..hahahahahahah

fluid.forty.one
07-05-2006, 12:59 PM
Hey George, you wanna go find me Damp and Shaqs numbers in the 2006 finals?

And again what round did the spurs get out in... and who beat them?

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 01:01 PM
Hey George, you wanna go find me Damp and Shaqs numbers in the 2006 finals?

And again what round did the spurs get out in... and who beat them?

It does not matter if you don't win the championship!!! The 3 time NBA champs got bounced in the second rd..how did that parade go after all?

Damps contract is horrible.. considering the league is evolving away from big immobile centers.. hey that's why the Spurs let their 2 centers go ..and got rid of a long term contract..

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 01:06 PM
I'd just love to chit-chat about the ins-and-outs of spending money/saving money. Meanwhile Cuban's bank account will throw off enough interest to buy Peter Holt three times over.

Damp/Diop/DJ > Rasho/Nazr/Oberto

Damp/Diop/DJ > Bonner/Oberto/____

Congrats on saving money. Holt will be able to put a lot of cash in his pocket now that he won't have to pay the SB&T center energy bills for May or June for several seasons to come.

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 01:11 PM
I'd just love to chit-chat about the ins-and-outs of spending money/saving money. Meanwhile Cuban's bank account will throw off enough interest to buy Peter Holt three times over.

Damp/Diop/DJ > Rasho/Nazr/Oberto

Damp/Diop/DJ > Bonner/Oberto/____

Congrats on saving money. Holt will be able to put a lot of cash in his pocket now that he won't have to pay the SB&T center energy bills for May or June for several seasons to come.

and still nothing to show for cuban's billions... I guess peter can wear one of championship rings while Cubes spends and spends with 0 championships.. I guess you are soaking in the fact that you beat the Spurs but faild to win the championship congratualtions on accomplishing nothing !!!.. seriously how did that parade go?

It's freaking July for christ's sake and you are comparing rosters? get back with me in May of 07 when things start to count...

fluid.forty.one
07-05-2006, 01:35 PM
It's freaking July for christ's sake and you are comparing rosters? get back with me in May of 07 when things start to count...

Same to you.

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 01:47 PM
and still nothing to show for cuban's billionsReally?

0:32 - 101-104 - Manu Ginobili makes 24-foot three point jumper (Tim Duncan assists)

Right now you can't even remember that fleeting moment of joy you had before Dirk converted that AND-1 on your ass. And why? Because all you recall is the shot of MY team celebrating on YOUR home court. It's seered into your mind. It's overpowering. You can't bring yourself to even think about it - because the one team you didn't want to take your title punched you right in the mouth, had sex with your wife, then stole your TV... in front of your kids.

Braggin' rights at work, in the checkout line at HEB, floating down the comal, driving on I-35, not to mention the added bonus of getting over on your loser ass on my Dallas Maverick message board are all the spoils of war and something I proudly wear on my sleeve.

What to show for cuban's fat wallet? Now I, and all my Maverick brethren, can finally follow up Spurts fans taunts with a one-word response...

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 01:49 PM
Really?

0:32 - 101-104 - Manu Ginobili makes 24-foot three point jumper (Tim Duncan assists)

Right now you can't even remember that fleeting moment of joy you had before Dirk converted that AND-1 on your ass. And why? Because all you recall is the shot of MY team celebrating on YOUR home court. It's seered into your mind. It's overpowering. You can't bring yourself to even think about it - because the one team you didn't want to take your title punched you right in the mouth, had sex with your wife, then stole your TV... in front of your kids.

Braggin' rights at work, in the checkout line at HEB, floating down the comal, driving on I-35, not to mention the added bonus of getting over on your loser ass on my Dallas Maverick message board are all the spoils of war and something I proudly wear on my sleeve.

What to show for cuban's fat wallet? Now I, and all my Maverick brethren, can finally follow up Spurts fans taunts with a one-word response...

enjoy those spoils..ahahhahahahahahah

Spurs -3 world championships..3 banners..

Mavs 0

capitalcity
07-05-2006, 01:54 PM
Scoreboard.

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 02:17 PM
Scoreboard.

Banners

fluid.forty.one
07-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Hey I heard the lakers/celtics have some banners, that must mean they will be championship caliber next year.

George Gervin
07-05-2006, 02:24 PM
Ok so I guess you are all satisifed with the season because you beat the Spurs..A Spurs season is a failure if they don't win the championship so I guess we can relate to see who views what as more important beating your rival or winning the champiosnhip.. you prefer the beating your rival..... enjoy those spoils!!

DalMavs
07-05-2006, 02:57 PM
The Mavs are moving in the right direction, and did something this season that they had never done before. Of course it's something to be happy, or even satisfied about.

Ok so I guess you are all satisifed with the season because you beat the Spurs..A Spurs season is a failure if they don't win the championship so I guess we can relate to see who views what as more important beating your rival or winning the champiosnhip.. you prefer the beating your rival..... enjoy those spoils!!

sike
07-05-2006, 03:47 PM
I said the same thing like 10 posts ago :(
get out of my head!!!!

sike
07-05-2006, 03:49 PM

you're smart.

MavsFanFinley
07-05-2006, 04:33 PM
I think it's way too early to be gloating about San Antonio's off season. A lot can happen between now and the start of the season. No, it doesn't look good for them right now but to think they're staying pat is ridiculous. They knew Rasho and Nazr would be gone so it's not like they lost both centers and are sitting around like what the hell just happened here.

They have both exceptions to work with, a couple expiring contracts, and a few other trade pieces.