PDA

View Full Version : AP: Salmons to Kings

Drbio
07-25-2006, 08:33 PM
SACRAMENTO, Calif. -- Guard John Salmons (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3624) signed a multiyear contract with the Sacramento Kings (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=sac) on Monday after four seasons with Philadelphia.

The Sacramento Bee reported that the contract Salmons signed is for five years and $25.5 million.
Salmons averaged 7.5 points, 2.7 rebounds and 2.7 assists for the 76ers last season, playing all 82 games. The 6-foot-7 swingman has been a steady contributor in Philadelphia, and the Kings could use him at three positions next season.
"We feel he's still an emerging player in the NBA," said Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations. "He'll add to the youth and overall skill level of our backcourt."
The Kings also signed two rookie free agents who excelled on their summer league team: Guard Pooh Jeter and center Justin Williams.

MavsFanFinley
07-25-2006, 10:40 PM
I'm a little surprised that Bonzi didn't accept the Kings offer. Now they'll explore sign/trade deals for him.

spreedom
07-25-2006, 10:52 PM
Yawn.. I doubt he'll be a significant contributor..

DelNegro
07-25-2006, 10:55 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. After adding Salmons they're flirting with the luxury tax and they'll definitely go over if they take on more salary via S&T. They may just let Bonzi walk and accept that they "traded" Bonzi for Salmons.

Dirkenstien
07-25-2006, 10:59 PM
I wouldn't be so sure. After adding Salmons they're flirting with the luxury tax and they'll definitely go over if they take on more salary via S&T. They may just let Bonzi walk and accept that they "traded" Bonzi for Salmons.

That would appear to be the best move unless they can find a serious bidder with something to offer. Bonzi is a talent though so this situation has me a little nervous...hopefully all will play out wonderfully and he'll find his way to a lower level Easter Conference team.

DelNegro
07-25-2006, 11:17 PM
That would appear to be the best move unless they can find a serious bidder with something to offer. Bonzi is a talent though so this situation has me a little nervous...hopefully all will play out wonderfully and he'll find his way to a lower level Easter Conference team.

Yeah I saw enough of Bonzi in the playoffs this year so I definitely wouldn't mind seeing him winding up in the east. I think he will too because most of the good teams in the west have already used some or all of their MLE which is the most Bonzi's going to be able to get.

Bonzi might just sign a 1 year deal somewhere though and try the free agency game again next offseason when there will be more teams under the cap then there were this year.

HexNBA
07-26-2006, 06:55 AM
Who the hell offers a guy more money after he walks out on a deal? "So your guy had a deal for $23mm with Toronto, but he bailed out on it and now he has absolutely nothing because the Sixers rescinded their offer sheet..I'll give you $25mm!". I'd start my offer at like $19mm, what choices does the guy have? Oh GMs..

DelNegro
07-26-2006, 08:52 AM
Who the hell offers a guy more money after he walks out on a deal? "So your guy had a deal for $23mm with Toronto, but he bailed out on it and now he has absolutely nothing because the Sixers rescinded their offer sheet..I'll give you $25mm!". I'd start my offer at like $19mm, what choices does the guy have? Oh GMs..

Perhaps some teams said exactly that.......and then lost him to the team that said "we don't care that you backed out on a deal, you're a hell of alot cheaper than Bonzi Wells is".

George Gervin
07-26-2006, 09:55 AM
Bonzi Wells will be an Atlanta hawk next year.. He will state at his press conference that his main goal was to come to a winning situation and that money played little in his decision.

V2M
07-26-2006, 11:51 AM
May be he backed out only after getting a behind-the-scenes offer from the Kings... a la Carlos Boozer!