PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts on Opening Day

nekked
04-01-2002, 06:06 PM
aaaahhhhhhh...opening day.

this is the first year in the last 14 that i haven't had a fantasy / roto team on opening day. its kinda weird. so used to watching specific players, its kinda refreshing watching just a regular game without having any specific interest.

as i watch the m's and the sox on wgn, one thing is perfectly clear, after one year.......i miss wimpy.

and you can put THAT on the board.

Murphy3
04-01-2002, 06:13 PM
I simply could not stand "wimpy"..and i still cannot stand the white sox broadcast team... even as i watch the game right now, i'm thinking about how lucky i am that the rangers have good, solid TV and Radio crews

it's nice to seattle getting spanked.

i agree, it's harder to enjoy a sport if you're involved in a fantasy league... they are cool for awhile but then they just become a bit of a whip

Rhylan
04-01-2002, 06:21 PM
I used to watch Wimpy and Hawk ten years ago, when I was 12, and I couldn't drive anywhere. I was too young to make a call on whether they were good or not. Besides, I had Marc Holtz on the radio, that was straight nirvana.

During the summers, in between neighboorhood games of Home Run Derby, 21, and Driveway Tennis, pretty much all we had on TV was ESPN, and WGN and TBS Cubs/Sox/Braves games. Our cable system sucked.

I'm so glad I'm old now. i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif Although I am also glad WGN exposed me to Harry Caray during all those summers.

The Boston/Toronto game was a barnburner. Pedro got knocked out of the box, then later on, I saw the great Darren Oliver blow a lead. What little I saw.. I took a small nap during the game. i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

nekked
04-01-2002, 06:25 PM
how could you not like hawk and wimpy?? wimpy wasn't great by himself, but the two together were wonderful. only eric nadel is a better storyteller than hawk, and there is no one better during a rain delay.

no matter what you think of the wimperoo, though, one thing is clear....dj really sucks.

Murphy3
04-01-2002, 07:00 PM
they are the worst in the history of sport.

never was much of HarryC fan either

Drbio
04-01-2002, 08:58 PM
never was much of HarryC fan either

oooh...blasphemy! Harry was a legend!

The Rangers rock....I love opening day...everyone, even the Royals fans, enjoy being in first and the potential that brings.

grbh
04-02-2002, 02:23 AM
You have to see Harry Carey lead the fans in the seventh inning stretch to understand the love shared between him and the fans.

Murphy3
04-02-2002, 07:52 AM
trust me, i've seen it.

i don't get it and i hope i never do.

i'll never forget one of the many times he was drunk off of his ass and was thought that a line drive was hit back to the pitcher when it was actually the catcher just throwing it back to the pitcher after a swing and a miss

nekked
04-02-2002, 08:03 AM
i wasn't much a fan of harry the announcer, but harry the character was great. the "i'm a bud man and a cubs fan" commercials were great. i think people my age didn't see alot of the big name announcers in their prime. carey, scully, buck, etc. don't really like any of them.

for some reason, i can listen to milo hamilton or skip carey for hours. both have that same monotone, dry witted delivery that goes so well with baseball. the rangers have been very lucky with their announcing teams. mark holtz was great. being in fl now, i'll miss turning on eric and vince and going outside to play with the kids.

gee, i guess i can go to a jacksonville suns game. yippee!! i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif