PDA

View Full Version : Guess where Van Gundy is coaching next

grbh
04-02-2002, 11:36 PM
Before clicking on this link, try to guess where Van Gundy will be coaching next. See if you are right.

Van Gundy's new job (http://msn.espn.go.com/nba/news/2002/0402/1362430.html)

MavsFanFinley
04-02-2002, 11:58 PM
I heard about it on Sportscenter.

I didn't bother to read the article, but is this a joke? It doesn't make sense to me. i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif

grbh
04-03-2002, 01:04 AM
I don't know. It seems pretty odd. Obviously he could get an NBA job if he wanted one, and one would think a coach would like to coach in the high exposure and more lucrative NBA.

All I can think of is that he wants to coach for a while without being in the spotlight he was in New York.

Rhylan
04-03-2002, 01:06 AM
Well, if there ever was a way to get out of the spotlight......

nekked
04-03-2002, 08:02 AM
he may be trying to screw the knicks. since he left when he was still under contract, the knicks would probably get compensation if he went to another nba team. other than colleges, who wouldn't hire him if they knew it was temp., this was about the only way to go and not benefit the knicks in some way.

ocelot_ark
04-03-2002, 10:22 AM
What a joke...why waste all your coaching talents on the WNBA? You've GOT to be kidding me JVG!

Rhylan
04-03-2002, 11:42 AM
Something SportsCenter said was that the considerably shorter WNBA schedule is consistent with Van Gundy's statement that he wanted to spend more time with his family. Think about it, if he still wants to coach, it might not be such a bad way to take it easy for a few years.

MavsFanFinley
04-03-2002, 01:44 PM
Is Jeff Van Gundy ready to return to coaching? And will it be in the WNBA?

The Washington Mystics strongly deny a report which said Van Gundy, who resigned as Knicks coach in December, is expected to be named head coach of the team. The Orlando Sentinal, which reported the story, cited sources in both leagues.

"Although Jeff Van Gundy is an excellent coach, the article written by the Orlando Sentinel is unfounded and the information reported within is untrue," said Susan O'Malley, the president of Washington Sports and Entertainment. "Unfortunately, the reporter's source was not the proper one, the Mystics. We have taken this time to find a coach we believe is the perfect fit for this team and we expect to make an announcement within the next few days."

Dyani Gordon, a Mystics assistant director for public relations, told ESPN that the Mystics are not in talks with Van Gundy about a coaching position or about any other position within the organization.

Van Gundy said on WFAN radio today that he learned of the report by seeing his name appear on ESPN's bottom line and that he called the Orlando reporter Tim Povtak about the story. Van Gundy said Povtak told him he went with the story because he had two sources and that it was too late in the night to bother Van Gundy. Hearing that, Van Gundy told Povtak he had two sources but not the right source.

Knicks spokesman Joe Favorito told the New York Post that general manager Scott Layden was unaware of any negotiations Van Gundy has had with the Mystics.

The Knicks have to give permission for Van Gundy to coach another NBA team because he still had a year left on his contract. It's unknown exactly how that works with a WNBA team -- a league's that's run by the NBA.

Van Gundy compiled a 248-172 record in just more than six seasons with the Knicks, taking them to the NBA Finals in the lockout-shortened 1999 season, when they lost to the San Antonio Spurs.

Since leaving the Knicks, Van Gundy has done some television commentary -- he is scheduled to work Wednesday's Lakers-Nets game on TNT as a color analyst. He also had been rumored as a possible replacement for Lenny Wilkens in Toronto.

"Maybe he decided it was time to coach some players who would listen to him," one NBA source was quoted as saying in the Sentinel story.

The Mystics, who have two of the top five picks in the upcoming WNBA draft, have led the league in attendance the past three seasons, but they have struggled on the court, which is why a high-profile coach has been a priority for them. They also talked with Pat Summit, the legendary women's coach at the University of Tennessee.

grbh
04-03-2002, 03:18 PM
Beat me to it. According to the New York Daily News Van Gundy believes it was an April Fools joke.

MavsFanFinley
04-03-2002, 04:32 PM
<< Beat me to it. According to the New York Daily News Van Gundy believes it was an April Fools joke. >>

Well, it was a bad one at that, if true. i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Drbio
04-03-2002, 08:19 PM
Actually...it hit national news so it worked pretty well....LOL

I got suckered too...

grbh
04-03-2002, 08:46 PM
Heck, I believed it. Dr. Bio it was kind of similar to that CNN story you posted the other day. I saw that on ESPN and I assumed it was a reputable story. The press sucks.

Drbio
04-04-2002, 07:40 PM
grbh- it happens to the best of us.i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif