PDA

View Full Version : Gasol out three months

seelenjaeger
09-02-2006, 08:14 AM
... after injuring his foot in the last seconds of the WCC Semifinal against Argentina.

alby
09-02-2006, 08:25 AM
comfirmed 3 months?

nashtymavsfan13
09-02-2006, 09:03 AM
Wow, that's a pretty long time. Is it confirmed?

Darke
09-02-2006, 09:46 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/wbc2006/news/story?id=2569672

Gasol has a partial fracture in his left foot, but the report didn't say how long he will be out, just that he won't play in the final.

seelenjaeger
09-02-2006, 10:00 AM
German media reports three months, if itīs really a middel-foot injury that sounds about right, but you need to take a look at how severe the fracture is.

nashtymavsfan13
09-02-2006, 11:51 AM
Ouch, that sucks for the Grizzlies. Do you think they'll still make the playoffs?

u2sarajevo
09-02-2006, 11:53 AM
Ouch, that sucks for the Grizzlies. Do you think they'll still make the playoffs?3 months would put him back December 1st.... only a month into the season.

nashtymavsfan13
09-02-2006, 11:54 AM
3 months would put him back December 1st.... only a month into the season.

That's true, but it could still hurt their record, and hemay not come back 100% for awhile.

fluid.forty.one
09-02-2006, 12:35 PM
It's not like memphis would win a playoff game with him 100% anyway.

samoan-maverickII
09-02-2006, 02:29 PM
I didnt see them making the playoffs with Gasol anyway. West is too strong and they got weaker.

dude1394
09-02-2006, 05:17 PM
Really tough for memphis. Gasol is a really nice player.

HexNBA
09-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Bad break for the Grizzlies

bradleywillcrushyou44
09-03-2006, 04:50 AM
could have been dirk

kriD
09-03-2006, 07:57 AM
Gasol out up to 3 months

Grizzly suffers partial fracture, won't begin practice in team camp, to be re-examined here

By Ronald Tillery [/ Memphis Commercial Appeal]
September 3, 2006

So much for the Grizzlies getting off to a fast start to the 2006-07 season.

The prospect of that lessened Saturday given All-Star forward Pau Gasol could be unable to play for up to three months with a partial fracture in his left foot sustained early Friday in the semifinals of the world championships in Japan.

Gasol's injury was confirmed in a statement released by the Spanish Basketball Federation.

"The player is not supporting any weight on the injured foot. The national team's medical services has submitted to his club (Memphis) a medical report, as well as the exam results, so they can evaluate the therapeutic steps to be taken," the release said.

Following the initial concern and disappointment, Grizzlies officials were on the same page with what should happen next.

They want to see Gasol in Memphis as soon as possible.

Now that the Grizzlies' worst fear has been confirmed, the organization will ask Gasol to expedite his return to the United States.

Gasol will require surgery following an examination by the team's doctor.

"Is this the same thing that happened two years ago?," Grizzlies coach Mike Fratello said Saturday.

"You have to get him back and let our people look at him."

Gasol underwent X-rays and an MRI exam Saturday at the Kato Orthopedic Clinic in Saitama, Japan, according to the Spanish release.

The 7-footer was hurt Friday near the conclusion of Spain's 75-74 semifinal victory against Argentina.

He'll sit out today's final against Greece, and is certain to miss the Grizzlies' training camp that begins Oct. 3.

If the Grizzlies' diagnosis is the same as Spain's, then Gasol's injury (fractures of the fifth metatarsal) is something from which he can recover and resume playing at a high level.

Just ask Grizzlies president Jerry West.

He suffered the same injury as a prep athlete in West Virginia.

"It's not an injury that normally ruins a person's career," West said. "It'll be a healing process. We have confidence in his age, and our doctors say that he'll be able to play and play at a high level when he comes back."

Speaking about the prospect of playing without Gasol, West opined: "He's one of the few gifted low-post players in the league."

Fratello said it was too soon to determine how the Griz would compensate without Gasol during the early part of the season.

"You're losing an all-star player, a guy capable of getting double-doubles and who was playing very well in the tournament," Fratello said. "It leaves a tremendous hole at the four and five positions. Obviously, other people have to be ready to assume more of a responsibility with this."

Gasol's absence -- much like two seasons ago -- will present more of an opportunity for veteran forwards Stromile Swift and Brian Cardinal. Both played well when Gasol missed about two months with a left foot injury during the 2004-05 season.

The void at power forward could also allow Fratello to accelerate the development of younger players such as Hakim Warrick, Lawrence Roberts and rookie Alexander Johnson.

"We have some very good young players," West said.

"When you lose your best player, it always hurts. I can tell you that we didn't have a good feeling about it (when the injury happened)."

Gasol spoke with the media following the original diagnosis. His immediate reaction was centered on not being able to help Spain capture gold.

"I will try to be with my teammates for whatever they need, but what really hurts me is not to be able to be on the court physically in order to help as I have done in the past in this tournament," Gasol said. "I hope that against Greece we will play a great game. ... A gold medal around my neck would take away all the pain that I'm currently feeling."

kriD
09-03-2006, 08:06 AM
We play the Grizz twice in November... :D

dude1394
09-03-2006, 10:05 AM
Hope all goes well for him.

alby
09-03-2006, 03:44 PM
We play the Grizz twice in November... :D

:D

nashtymavsfan13
09-03-2006, 05:52 PM
could have been dirk

Thankfully it wasn't!

nashtymavsfan13
09-03-2006, 05:55 PM
Pau Gasol: Needs Foot Surgery

RotoWire.com Staff - RotoWire.com
Sunday, September 3, 2006

Update: Gasol will require surgery to repair a fracture of the fifth metatarsal in his left foot, according to nba.com.

Recommendation: No timetable has been set as to how long Gasol will be out, but this does not sound good at all. We will continue to monitor the situation as the team releases further details later in the week.

Tokey41
09-03-2006, 09:45 PM
Well at least this bodes well for us having to play them twice before they get him back, I like to think on the bright side of things for our team. I like Gasol though, awesome player... awesome beard.

spreedom
09-03-2006, 11:14 PM
The Grizzles are first round playoff fodder at best anyway.. if they're lucky, this will "propel" them into the lottery where they can get a nice high pick.

nashtymavsfan13
09-04-2006, 12:47 AM
Well at least this bodes well for us having to play them twice before they get him back, I like to think on the bright side of things for our team. I like Gasol though, awesome player... awesome beard.

Lol, I hate his beard, he looks like a hobo.

chumdawg
09-04-2006, 12:54 AM
He looks like a rabbit.

bernardos70
09-04-2006, 02:00 AM
His teeth are like that of an englishman: proper rubbish.

alby
09-04-2006, 02:07 AM
i dont think they are a playoff team anymore anyways w the loss of battier and eddie jones being another year older imo

mqywaaah
09-04-2006, 11:19 AM
Same thoughts here

capitalcity
09-04-2006, 12:09 PM
http://www.catanna.com/paulgrin2.jpg

Tokey41
09-04-2006, 05:12 PM
The beard makes him look tougher, hell maybe it even makes him tougher... he used to be really soft as I recall. Dirk should get one like that! Then he'd be unstoppable for sure.

Drbio
09-04-2006, 05:13 PM
The beard makes him look tougher, hell maybe it even makes him tougher... he used to be really soft as I recall. Dirk should get one like that! Then he'd be unstoppable for sure.

I think he looks a lot like Paul MCCartney in that pic. Plus, I always thought he looked kind of gay.

nashtymavsfan13
09-05-2006, 01:24 AM
Is that a pic of Paul McCartney? If not, than he really does look similar to him.

Darke
09-05-2006, 07:50 AM
That's McCartney not Gasol^^

MavsX
09-05-2006, 10:46 AM
sucker!

Tokey41
09-05-2006, 06:10 PM
He didnt look too gay when Spain owned Germany though, in fact he looks like the third best international basketball player in the NBA next to Dirk and AK-47. Im sure someone might bitch about me not giving Manu props (or maybe not on this board) but he had one good year and even then it was mostly his acting that made him look good.

dude1394
09-05-2006, 08:07 PM
Well I think he's the second or third best international player, dirk being way above still. But he still could look gay? :)

MavsX
09-06-2006, 11:22 AM
i think i'm just sick of his jesus-beard

Tokey41
09-06-2006, 11:46 AM
No doubt Dirk is head and shoulders above the rest... and okay he does look a little gay, still think hes a great player though. Dont know how much the Grizz will win with just him, I guess we'll see how that new guy Gay (oh wow that worked out) plays.

kriD
09-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Grizzlies' Gasol out four months after foot surgery

Associated Press

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis Grizzlies forward Pau Gasol will be sidelined for four months after surgery to repair a broken bone in his left foot.

The 7-foot Gasol is scheduled to leave for his native Spain on Monday for a two-week trip and begin rehabilitation upon returning to Memphis, the Grizzlies said Friday. He broke the bone last week while playing for Spain during the World Championship in Japan.

The Grizzlies start preseason play Oct. 10 at Houston, and their first regular-season game is Nov. 1 at home against New York.

nashtymavsfan13
09-09-2006, 01:42 AM
No doubt Dirk is head and shoulders above the rest... and okay he does look a little gay, still think hes a great player though. Dont know how much the Grizz will win with just him, I guess we'll see how that new guy Gay (oh wow that worked out) plays.

This made me lol :D

alby
09-10-2006, 02:12 AM
four months

Updated: Sep. 8, 2006, 6:16 PM ET
Grizzlies' Gasol out four months after foot surgery

MEMPHIS, Tenn. -- Memphis Grizzlies (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/clubhouse?team=mem) forward Pau Gasol (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3513) will be sidelined for four months after surgery to repair a broken bone in his left foot. The 7-foot Gasol is scheduled to leave for his native Spain on Monday for a two-week trip and begin rehabilitation upon returning to Memphis, the Grizzlies said Friday. He broke the bone last week while playing for Spain during the World Championship in Japan.
The Grizzlies start preseason play Oct. 10 at Houston, and their first regular-season game is Nov. 1 at home against New York.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press