PDA

View Full Version : Stoudemire expects to be "100 percent" by season opener

kriD
09-30-2006, 07:31 AM
Stoudemire expects to be "100 percent" by season opener

By ANDREW BAGNATO, AP Sports Writer
September 29, 2006

PHOENIX (AP) -- Amare Stoudemire expects to be in the lineup when the Phoenix Suns open the season against the Los Angeles Lakers on Oct. 31.

Not only that, he expects to be as dominant as he was before knee surgery sidelined him for all but three games last season.

"That's what I'm striving for," Stoudemire said Friday. "So far, so good. The past few weeks, it's been improvement, so if it can just keep improving, keep getting stronger, I should be 100 percent, no doubt about it, by the first game of the season."

The 24-year-old Stoudemire had microfracture surgery on his left knee last October, shortly after he signed a five-year, $73 million contract. He returned for three games in March but quickly abandoned the comeback. Wear and tear forced surgery on his right knee, and the forward spent the offseason rehabilitating.

Stoudemire's health dominated the talk at the team's annual media day, which marked the start of two long journeys.

The first began Friday. Immediately after their media session, the Suns left for Italy, where they will begin a 14-day trip that includes a preseason game in Rome and two more in Cologne, Germany.

The second journey begins Oct. 31, and the Suns hope it won't end until the NBA Finals.

Coach Mike D'Antoni said Stoudemire's prediction that he'll play in the opener is "realistic." But D'Antoni also believes the team will be deeper with the return of defense-oriented forward Kurt Thomas, who missed 29 games and nearly all the playoffs with a stress fracture in his right foot, and with newcomers Marcus Banks and Jumaine Jones.

"We're a better team in every way that you want to put it," said D'Antoni, himself recovering from offseason knee surgery.

Even without Stoudemire, the Suns breezed to the Pacific Division title last season and advanced to the Western Conference finals for the second consecutive time.

"There's no use lying," D'Antoni said. "We think we're one of the top four teams, and we should play for a title, and that should be our goal whether we get there or not. Obviously, what is this, 38 years and we haven't gotten one here, so it's not going to be easy.

"We're going to need some luck down the stretch and everybody kind of fit together. We've got to get Amare over the hump of coming back. He's got until Oct. 31 for the first test, and then after that we'll see."

If Stoudemire returns at full strength, he could be the piece the Suns need to end their season with a victory parade down Central Avenue.

The 6-foot-10 Stoudemire's game is based on explosiveness, and his athleticism made him a good fit in D'Antoni's up-tempo offense. Stoudemire has averaged 19.8 points and 8.8 rebounds in three-plus NBA seasons.

In Stoudemire's last action before the microfracture surgery, he put up 37.0 points per game against San Antonio in the Western Conference finals.

Point guard Steve Nash, whose flowing hair was shorn over the summer, said it may take time for the Suns to adjust to Stoudemire, and vice versa.

"It's a different team than two years ago," Nash said. "He hasn't played with this team. It's a little touchy. In the past he's been a dominant player, and we've been a dominant team, so we have to make the two complement each other."

The Suns won't count on Stoudemire until he proves his knees can stand up to the day-in, day-out grind of the NBA. Stoudemire believes he's ready. He recently underwent a magnetic resonance imaging exam to allay concerns about his right knee. Everything checked out, and Stoudemire said he practiced without pain last week.

"I'm going all out," Stoudemire said. "I"m doing moves that I've been doing pre-injury. The strength is getting back and the agility is definitely coming back."

Asked to assess his status, Stoudemire replied, "Right now, I think I'm at a cool 80 percent. I'm feeling very strong and confident with where I stand."

But he conceded he won't know if he's ready until he tests the knee in games.

"I'm definitely anxious, man," Stoudemire said. "Once I step on the court in a real, organized game, the butterflies will get to going, and once I get used to playing again, that's when it will all start to flow as water."

fluid.forty.one
09-30-2006, 10:10 AM
No way

sike
09-30-2006, 12:38 PM
where is buddy ryan when you need him ;)

4cwebb
09-30-2006, 12:39 PM
Just as an NBA fan, I seriously hope Amare is right...it'd be a shame for a man with such athletic gifts to lose them prematurely due to microfracture surgery. Prior to his injury, he was certainly a great talent to watch, and his athleticism and explosiveness for a player his size probably rivals any other big man to ever play the game.

He's certainly got age on his side when compared with other good/great players who've suffered after microfracture surgery (CWebb, Penny, etc.), but having watched those players struggle to regain their previous form, I'm doubtful that Amare will be able to do so, either. A shame, really.

nashtymavsfan13
09-30-2006, 02:07 PM
I doubt it. I'll believe it when I see it.

Thespiralgoeson
10-02-2006, 02:15 AM
The dude had a friggin microfracture. NOBODY is EVER "100 percent" after that. NOT EVER!

chumdawg
10-02-2006, 02:58 AM
He'll be back.

Now I don't know if he'll be better than ever
And I don't know if he'll be stacking his cheddar

But he'll be back.

MavsX
10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
He'll be back.

Now I don't know if he'll be better than ever
And I don't know if he'll be stacking his cheddar

But he'll be back.

haha...dude that was a haiku

MavsX
10-02-2006, 10:27 AM
break a leg amare!

alby
10-03-2006, 12:23 AM
he'll be a top frontcourt player in the league definitely

but he will never have the same quickness off the floor like he used to

nashtymavsfan13
10-03-2006, 01:44 AM
he'll be a top frontcourt player in the league definitely

but he will never have the same quickness off the floor like he used to

Exactly. This sums it up well.

bigdaddy
10-03-2006, 04:16 AM
amare won't be the same he will be far better, he now has created a jump shot/face up game and won't just depend on his quickness on the floor. he has created more skills to be a better player. his post moves and shooting will make him one of the best players around....

The Crippler
10-03-2006, 12:18 PM
amare won't be the same he will be far better, he now has created a jump shot/face up game and won't just depend on his quickness on the floor. he has created more skills to be a better player. his post moves and shooting will make him one of the best players around....

and you know this how? When he was injured, he had no post moves. I'm doubting they just sprouted out of nowhere especially with him not being able to work full speed for over a year and a half. Without the explosion off of the floor, he is nowhere near as effective as he was pre-microfracture operation.

alby
10-03-2006, 12:31 PM
his skills will be more refined, maybe yes maybe no.

but the fear he used to put in a defender when u know ur going to get dunked on wont be the same

thats what it comes down to

confidence vs fear

kriD
10-05-2006, 02:08 AM
Suns' 'big' question

By Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
October 3, 2006

TREVISO, Italy – The Phoenix Suns have been one of the most consistent franchises in NBA history. Only 12 times in their 38-year existence have they missed the playoffs, and their .551 winning percentage ranks fourth in league annals (among current franchises) behind only the Celtics, Lakers and Spurs. They've also enjoyed a host of exciting all-star players (Paul Westphal, Kevin Johnson, Charles Barkley, Tom Chambers, Walter Davis, etc.) who have helped establish a rich basketball tradition in the Valley of the Sun.

But despite their sustained excellence, the Suns have failed to accomplish the only goal that truly matters – winning a championship.

The man who was there from the beginning and has been the architect of the Phoenix franchise – Jerry Colangelo – once famously summed up his teams' near greatness by saying, "We're 21 feet away from being the Lakers – Wilt, Kareem and Shaq." Indeed, NBA championships have been dominated by superstars – usually intimidating centers – and while the Suns have had their share of stars, they have never had a truly dominating big man.

The question now, as the Suns conduct training camp here in northern Italy, is whether or not Amare Stoudemire can return from microfracture surgery in his left knee (and a year-long absence) to fill that role. Can he be the missing piece – the imposing inside presence – that carries this exciting, up-tempo club to a title?

The last time Stoudemire was on the floor in a contest that mattered – other than a quick, three-game failed experiment last March – was during Phoenix's five-game series loss to the Spurs in the 2005 Western Conference finals. Stoudemire used his ridiculous athleticism to average 29.9 points per game against Tim Duncan and the NBA's stingiest defense, and his future looked limitless. But then came the injury just before the start of last season and Stoudemire spent the past year rehabilitating.

Without him, the Suns made a remarkable run back to the West finals, ultimately losing to Dallas in six games. They begin this season's quest with a deep roster, and even though it remains to be seen if Stoudemire can rediscover his game and fit in smoothly, his comeback – combined with the return of last year's key players (Steve Nash, Shawn Marion, and Boris Diaw) – has made Phoenix a popular pick to win the NBA title next June. But there are several issues for Stoudemire and the Suns to overcome.

• The injury – Many players have undergone microfracture knee surgery, and only a few have made successful returns. Allan Houston, Penny Hardaway and Chris Webber were never the same after the procedure, having lost their explosiveness and confidence. Jason Kidd, however, has made a full recovery in the past year. Kidd, who has counseled Stoudemire on what to expect during his comeback, offers hope. The fact that Houston, Hardaway and Webber were all in the latter stages of their careers at the time of their surgeries makes Stoudemire's case more hopeful. At just 23 years old (he turns 24 in November), Stoudemire should recover more quickly from the injury and regain his explosiveness.

• The comeback – While Stoudemire's youth may serve him well physically, it may hinder him mentally. Having come straight out of high school to the NBA just 4 years ago, Stoudemire lacks life experience and maturity. Coming back from an injury like this one requires perseverance and patience – not exactly character traits of the young. Inevitably, Stoudemire will have rust and he'll have some rough moments. A player with more experience might be more able to weather the storm of frustration. Stoudemire needs to lower his expectations and continue down a patient path. Is he capable of doing so?

• His game – Stoudemire is not Duncan. He doesn't post up on the low block and use footwork and fundamentals to outmaneuver his opponent. He jumps over people and dunks on them, and he runs past them. In other words, he simply relies on his athleticism to succeed. What if it's not there right away? Can Stoudemire adjust? The right thing for him to do is to concentrate on rebounding and defense and to let his offense come later. But that's not his game. He's not a particularly good rebounder or defender. He'll want to score right away, and if he's not able to, frustration may set in.

• His team – Last season, the Suns won 54 games and made the conference finals without Stoudemire. They did it by becoming the best passing team in the league. The ball hummed around the perimeter, with the pass-first Diaw stepping into Stoudemire's role at the high post and playing an unselfish style that energized his teammates. The team knows it can win without Stoudemire, and Amare knows that, too. He was humbled by the team's success without him. If things go south, Stoudemire will feel the pressure and some blame. Both he and the team will have to fight through the inevitable adversity and stay united.

• The rotation – One of the things coach Mike D'Antoni and his staff will have to figure out is whether or not Stoudemire and Diaw can play together. Will the ball stop once it hits Amare's hands, or will he move it along? And when he does have the ball, will opponents sag off of Diaw, who is a decent shooter but not a great one? If so, the Suns won't be able to spread the floor with their three-point shooters, a staple under D'Antoni. As for Marion, he has been most successful under D'Antoni as an undersized power forward. Assuming Stoudemire and Diaw play alongside him, Marion will become a small forward, where his quickness is not quite as big of an advantage. In other words, while D'Antoni has plenty of options, he also has plenty of issues.

Stoudemire has been hampered by several setbacks during his rehabilitation, but so far in camp, he has looked relatively good. His sculpted body shows no evidence of a long layoff, although his lack of conditioning does. He appears to get winded very quickly, particularly with D'Antoni's drills all focusing on quick transitions and fast-paced offense.

Amare isn't running the floor like he can, perhaps because he isn't yet trusting his knee. In an intrasquad scrimmage on Tuesday night, Stoudemire showed flashes of brilliance, catching a lob for a huge dunk, hammering home an offensive putback and knocking down several long-range jump shots, but he clearly isn't himself yet. It will take him some time to adjust to the speed of the game, particularly the way the Suns play it.

For him to be effective, Stoudemire needs to run the floor like he did two seasons ago and play with great activity. Four days into camp, he's not doing that. In fact, if the season started today, Stoudemire wouldn't even be in the starting lineup. D'Antoni has made it clear that it's up to Amare to earn his position, and for that to happen, he'll have to make dramatic improvement in the next few weeks.

Still, there is plenty of reason for optimism – not only for Stoudemire but also for the Suns. This is a much deeper team than last season's squad, allowing Stoudemire to ease his way back in. The hope is that he can work his way back into form by January, and if he achieves that goal, it will give the rest of the NBA one more weapon to worry about when facing the Suns.

And if Stoudemire fully recovers to his once explosive self? Well, the Suns just might finally have that dominating big man – and the championship trophy – that has eluded them for 38 years.

mary
10-06-2006, 06:59 PM
Knee Problems Continue To Slow Stoudemire
6th October, 2006 - 3:36 am
East Valley Tribune - Amare Stoudemire's up-and-down comeback from two knee surgeries hit another sour note Thursday when he was unable to practice when the Phoenix Suns arrived in Rome to prepare for Friday's exhibition game against Virtus Lottomatica Roma.

Stoudemire sat out a practice Monday in Treviso and missed two days of voluntary workouts in Phoenix two weeks ago because of pain in his right knee, which he had minor surgery on in March.

But an NBA source said that Stoudemire was complaining of soreness in both knees this time, the first time he's talked about problems with the left knee —- which underwent microfracture surgery on Oct. 15 of last year — in more than a month.

Phoenix coach Mike D'Antoni said he didn't have any specifics on Stoudemire's condition, other than to say he sat out because of knee soreness.

"He said he was stiff and he couldn't go," D'Antoni said. "I don't know if the plane flight (from Treviso to Rome) had an effect or not. We're not going to push things at this point."

D'Antoni said he would have started Kurt Thomas at center and Boris Diaw at power forward in the exhibition game whether or not Stoudemire had practiced Thursday, but now is unsure if Stoudemire will play at all in Rome.

"We'll see what things look like (Friday) morning," he said.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/42516/20061006/knee_problems_continue_to_slow_stoudemire/

mary
10-06-2006, 07:02 PM

You might want to visit the marijuana legalization thread in the Political Forum...after you get done with those cheetos.

Tokey41
10-06-2006, 08:34 PM
Mr. 100% didn't practice against the European teams thus far, must be saving it all for the season...

The guy will never be the beast he was, and thats a shame if your a basketball fan and not just a Maverick fan... on the plus side he COULD develop some other aspects of his game and still be scary. I dont think he'll have enough to make the All-Star team (which I think he predicted?), I dont think the fans will justifiably vote him over Dirk, Duncan, KG, and any combination of AK-47/Gasol/Melo (breakout year)/ Marion/ or Brand. Unless he really is 100%...

kriD
10-15-2006, 05:45 AM
NBA NOTES

Stoudemire says he's almost 100 percent

FROM WIRE REPORTS

Phoenix Suns power forward Amare Stoudemire said Saturday that he's "about 100 percent" healthy after his up-and-down recovery from microfracture knee surgery.

"Right now I haven't felt any pain, no discomfort," he said. "I'm glad to be back."

The Suns returned from their European training camp Thursday and held an open practice for fans Saturday before leaving for Las Vegas, where they play the Los Angeles Lakers in a preseason game tonight.

Stoudemire's status looked shaky at best last week when stiffness in his knees forced him to sit out a practice in Italy.

Since then, he's participated in every practice and the team's two preseason games in Germany.

"I had a day off practice, and then that next day I just felt great," Stoudemire said. "Then I came back on back-to-back practices and felt even better. Then I came back for the game and felt even better. Each day I've been feeling better."

Coach Mike D'Antoni is encouraged.

"He's looking better on the court," D'Antoni said. "Every once in a while he'll explode with a big dunk. You see him running better and he's more fluid, so it has to be good news."

The 24-year-old underwent surgery on his left knee a year ago, shortly after signing a five-year, $73 million contract.

He tried to come back last March, playing in three games. Eventually, he had arthroscopic surgery on his right knee.

birdsanctuary
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Seeing is believing...

kriD
10-19-2006, 04:04 AM
Suns to Stoudemire: Shape up or sit out

By Craig Morgan, Tribune
October 18, 2006

Two weeks ago in Italy, Mike D’Antoni and Amaré Stoudemire had what amounted to a father-son chat. There was no wine offered. Just a simple message endorsed by owner Robert Sarver: If you don’t dedicate yourself to this team 100 percent, you won’t be playing. Stoudemire had just skipped another workout, complaining of pain in both surgically repaired knees.

“Mike had had enough,” said a source familiar with the situation. Two weeks have passed and Stoudemire has not missed a workout or complained of pain in his knees since, although he did minimal work at Tuesday's shootaround due to stiffness. Coincidence? Hardly.

But if you think the star forward is now a model citizen who just needs to hone his conditioning and timing, think again.

Stoudemire’s biggest hurdle in his comeback attempt may have less to do with rust and more to do with the jersey number he is wearing this season — No. 1 — and all the attitude that it embodies. As a matter of coincidence, it is the same number microfracture poster child Penny Hardaway wore in Phoenix.

For those keeping score, Stoudemire played 18 minutes in Tuesday’s exhibition loss to the Clippers, scoring eight points, grabbing six rebounds, missing on all four free throw attempts and a pair of spin moves in the lane.

For those watching closely, there were periods of lack of interest and periods of coasting. Normal fare for a preseason game, maybe, but not for a guy who needs every minute of practice time he can get after sitting out most of the 2005-06 season.

Speaking of practice, some within the organization felt Stoudemire attended Tuesday’s shootaround in body only. The mind was elsewhere.

So where does this leave the Suns as they head into a pivotal season for this incarnation of the franchise?

In one heck of a pickle.

If Stoudemire gets back to 100 percent, it’s easy. Most figure the Suns as championship material and the chemistry will come in time.

But if he’s not 100 percent — physically or mentally — what does D’Antoni do?

Does he use him as sixth man and wait patiently for him to regain his former glory?

Does he bog down a team that established its own identity in his absence in advancing to the Western Conference finals?

Can he afford to do either given the brutal start to the Suns’ schedule, which includes two games against the Clippers and one each against San Antonio, Dallas and Memphis in the first seven?

“It’s a little touchy,” said guard Steve Nash, who made it clear last season that the Amaré-less Suns were an unselfish, fluid and fun bunch to conduct.

Nobody knows if Stoudemire will rewind the clock to 2004, or if he will stay healthy the entire season.

Although the left knee will eventually need more work because microfracture is a temporary fix, not a solution, Suns doctor Tom Carter thinks the right knee will be a greater immediate issue because Stoudemire has chronic arthritis in it.

“He’s going to have to cope with periodic flare-ups,” Carter said.

And when he does, the Suns will have to walk a fine line between babying and bullying him.

“People can say what they want but nobody knows what kind of pain I have in my body but me,” Stoudemire said. “Nobody knows what I can and can’t do but me.”

Time is running out for Stoudemire and the Suns to find the answer to that latter puzzle.

Soon, D’Antoni will have to dust off his best Bono and tell Stoudemire the Suns are ready to move on: “With or without you.”

MavKikiNYC
10-23-2006, 04:57 PM
Stoudemire expects to be "100 percent" by season opener

People. Hell. Ice water.

sike
10-23-2006, 05:08 PM
looks like the kid is becoming a headcase....interesting...

MavKikiNYC
10-23-2006, 05:17 PM
looks like the kid is becoming a headcase....interesting...

Yeah, who saw that coming?

sike
10-23-2006, 05:20 PM
Yeah, who saw that coming?
you fart.

untitled
10-23-2006, 05:21 PM
looks like the kid is becoming a headcase....
Or just an asshole.

He's done what since he got that contract? Oh yeah, absolutely nothing.

Asshole or headcase - either way, bad for Phoenix.

sike
10-23-2006, 05:23 PM
looks like the kid is going sour....enough stuff like this and they sour on him pretty soon...especially if the knees cause him to be slightly above averge

EricaLubarsky
10-23-2006, 06:14 PM
OMG Amare has my dream job-- he got paid 11 million dollars to get into shape last year and didnt! Now he's getting paid 12 million this year. If he never plays again the guy is still guaranteed another 72million dollars.

MavKikiNYC
10-30-2006, 10:31 PM
October 31, 2006
Will Stoudemire Regain His Health and His Status With the Suns?

By LIZ ROBBINS (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/r/liz_robbins/index.html?inline=nyt-per)
Swinging between hope and doubt in a frustrating October, Amare Stoudemire found one true moment of comfort. He was alone.

The Phoenix Suns (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/phoenixsuns/index.html?inline=nyt-org) were completing their preseason European tour in Cologne, Germany, when Stoudemire sat outside the team’s castle hotel and directed his thoughts away from his knee injuries and toward poetry.

In a spiral notebook, he wrote six poems about faith, truth and African-American women raising children on their own. “I’ve got that in a closed book,” he said two weeks ago of the poem about the women, which he entitled “Special.” When asked when he would display his poetry, he said shyly,
“When I’m ready to reveal it.”

Stoudemire, who will turn 24 on Nov. 16, has long used basketball as a refuge from a peripatetic life, one complicated by the death of his father when he was 12 and by his mother’s periodic prison sentences. But the last year of basketball left him feeling vulnerable and more isolated than ever.
He wondered whether he would play again after having microfracture surgery on his left knee in October 2005, a procedure that has curtailed more than one All-Star player’s career. He returned to action in March but played just three games before needing arthroscopic surgery on his right knee, an injury that kept him from playing for the national team this summer.

In halting fashion — an adjective never used to describe Stoudemire before the operations — he has made it back to the court. A No. 1 pick out of high school in 2002, a quickly emerging 6-foot-10 force in the league until his knee troubles, he begins this season as the backup to Kurt Thomas (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/t/kurt_thomas/index.html?inline=nyt-per).

Stoudemire knows he needs his teammates now. But how much they need him and how soon they can all get into sync will determine whether Phoenix can break through in the N.B.A.’s talent-laden Western Conference.

“I think he understands that around the All-Star break, or March, and really going down the stretch, that’s when we’ll need him,” Suns Coach Mike D’Antoni said in a telephone interview on Sunday.
The Suns’ Steve Nash became a two-time league most valuable player last season by rallying two big men — Boris Diaw and Thomas — in Stoudemire’s absence and teaming them with Shawn Marion, Leandro Barbosa and Raja Bell to get the Suns to their second straight conference finals. No longer revolving around Stoudemire’s pick-and-roll, the Suns relied on ball movement and Thomas’s defensive intensity.

For a team that revolutionized the league by running, first with Stoudemire and then without him, the Suns do not want to be caught waiting around while he makes incremental progress.
“Our game is a little different than it was,” Nash said in a recent interview in Phoenix, “so it’s going to take time to fit him back into the system. Last year, we were pretty close without him.”

Stoudemire could see that. “There probably wasn’t the highlights that I sometimes bring,” Stoudemire said, “but as a team, they played great basketball. They hit the open shots, spaced the floor well; Boris came in and had a great year.

“Whatever works for the team, I’m definitely down for it,” he said of the possibility of becoming the Suns’ sixth man. “I see myself as a great fit once I get to that point where I can be consistent.”
Stoudemire often needed extra days off after being given extended playing time this preseason. Last week, he reported discomfort in both knees and wondered whether the Suns might be growing impatient with him.

By Sunday, Stoudemire felt pain free, D’Antoni said. “He understands until he proves it, everybody has doubts,” D’Antoni said. “We’re not going to give up on him. We believe in him.”

D’Antoni said he had no timetable for increasing Stoudemire’s minutes. “I don’t think there’s any magic formula,” he said. “It’s just a matter of what’s pain, what’s soreness, and understanding what you can play on and what you can’t. He’s going to have good days and bad.”

Thomas said: “I think we’re better with him, without a doubt. It’s going to give us depth. Last season, we played seven guys. In the long haul, that’s only going to help.”

The Lakers (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/sports/probasketball/nationalbasketballassociation/losangeleslakers/index.html?inline=nyt-org)’ Kobe Bryant (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/b/kobe_bryant/index.html?inline=nyt-per), who is also returning from knee surgery, said in an interview this month that there should be no debate about Stoudemire’s impact. “I’m sure people in Phoenix are talking about whether the Suns are a better team without him,” Bryant said. “That’s silly. He’s a phenomenal talent.”

By the time the Suns reached the 2005 conference finals against San Antonio, Stoudemire was leaping out of the gym, averaging 37 points a game in that series. “And I was only getting better,” Stoudemire said. “I’m trying definitely to get back to that.”

The Suns’ window of opportunity — Nash turns 33 in February — would seem to be narrowing.
Stoudemire’s success ultimately depends on his reintegration with the team, which the Suns know cannot occur just on the court. Encouraged by team officials, Stoudemire has been trying to socialize more with his teammates after a rehabilitation that heightened his isolation last season.

In Italy, during training camp, he joined teammates at an Italian soccer game. “I’m doing more, just to fit that bond,” Stoudemire said.

Off the court, Stoudemire has a core of advisers to support him through unsettling family issues. His mother, Carrie Stoudemire, is serving a three-year prison sentence in Arizona for driving while impaired.

Carrie moved Stoudemire and his half-brother from Florida to New York when they were young. “I went to something like five elementary schools, six middle schools, six high schools,” he said.
Each time, sports eased his alienation. “I was always good at something, whether it be riding skateboards, riding trick bikes or just playing basketball,” he said.

Maybe a jersey change will help him recapture his easy dominance. Stoudemire said he wanted to honor his foundation’s motto, “Each One Teach One,” by switching from No. 32 to No. 1 this season.
He hopes for a new start, and a new finish.

dude1394
10-30-2006, 10:53 PM
Man I get tired of hearing about this guy.

spreedom
10-30-2006, 11:30 PM
What a drama queen..

nashtymavsfan13
10-31-2006, 01:26 AM
What a drama queen..

Reminds me of Wade...

sike
10-31-2006, 01:56 AM
Wade has tons of class....maybe he got Amare's portion.

Flacolaco
10-31-2006, 09:55 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the Suns success depends more on Steve Nash's ability to sustain his crazy level of play with his old back and tired legs, than Amares ability to regain his form?

MavsX
10-31-2006, 10:30 AM
Man I get tired of hearing about this guy.

yeah dude....boring!

MavsX
10-31-2006, 10:31 AM
Am I the only one who thinks the Suns success depends more on Steve Nash's ability to sustain his crazy level of play with his old back and tired legs, than Amares ability to regain his form?

YES YOU ARE THE ONLY ONE

bvolt3000
10-31-2006, 05:33 PM
my phoenix season prediction:
solid start
amare returns and make big push
amare slows down becomes flaky
nash falls apart-out for season
might reach second round of playoffs

jayC
11-03-2006, 10:46 AM
Amare's entire game is built on explosion to the rim. He needs to learn more post moves. Two years ago you could argue he was the most dominant young player in the NBA.

Dwight Howard maybe that young stud.

MavsX
11-03-2006, 11:06 AM
i am so sick of hearing about amare, and him expecting to be 100%. F*CK OFF! take your gimp knee back to the old folks home, maybe you and curtis martin can share war stories...i hate this shit