PDA

View Full Version : Shaq no fan of NBA's new ball

kriD
10-03-2006, 03:27 AM
Shaq no fan of NBA's new ball

Tim Reynolds
Associated Press

MIAMI - Heat center Shaquille O'Neal is no fan of the new basketballs to be used by the NBA this season, and isn't afraid to say so.

"I think the new ball is terrible," O'Neal said Monday. "It's the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made. ... The NBA's been around how long? A hundred years? Fifty years? So to change it now, whoever that person is needs his college degree revoked. It's a terrible decision."

It's only the second time in 60 seasons the NBA has changed its game balls, and the first time in 35 years.

The new model, the league said in a release, "is a microfiber composite with moisture management that provides superior grip and feel throughout the course of a game."

O'Neal, along with many of his Heat teammates, strongly disagree.

"Feels like one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store, indoor-outdoor balls," O'Neal said. "I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can't really control it. Whoever did that needs to be fired. It was terrible, a terrible decision. Awful. I might get fined for saying that, but so what?"

Other factors cited by the league in changing the ball is so that ones used in games will be uniform throughout the league, and that the leather models needed a breaking-in period that won't be necessary with the composite.

"I don't like it, because it's different," Heat backup center Michael Doleac said. "You get used to something, you don't want to change it. ... But in three years, we'll probably all look back and not be able to imagine playing with anything else."

The new composite will be the third type of ball Heat guard Dwyane Wade will use in four months.

Last season's finals were played with the traditional leather ball, then the FIBA world championships used a ball that was slightly smaller than the NBA model - something Wade spent most of the summer getting familiar with.

"Now I've got to make another adjustment with a ball that I haven't shot with at all and it's going to be a challenge," Wade said. "That means it's going to take a lot of late nights for me, I'll tell you that, to get really adjusted to the ball because I have no choice."

Wade said the biggest complaint players have with the new ball is the slippage factor, as in how much grip will be lost when players' hands sweat and that moisture gets on the ball.

"Hopefully over time, you'll hear nothing about it and we'll all stop complaining," Wade said. "But I think rebounds are going to go up this year. All around the league, I think there's going to be a lot of bricks thrown up there early on."

EricaLubarsky
10-03-2006, 05:56 AM
An NBA champion getting fined for that? No way.

MavsX
10-03-2006, 07:26 AM
anybody got a picture of the new ball..does it look like the harlem globetrotters ball? haha

Flacolaco
10-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Are we in for a season of ugly turnovers with all this "slippage" they're talking about?

MavKikiNYC
10-03-2006, 08:34 AM
Promoting the sale of merchandise over the good of the game.

Dirkenstien
10-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Seems like players feelings about this ball are pretty much unanimous. They need to go back to the old leather model and try to modify that....just throw this new model away.

We could we be in for a tough start this season.

jacktruth
10-03-2006, 08:58 AM
I'm thinking one of the players is going to pull out an old NBA ball, playground style, at least once this season. . .

fluid.forty.one
10-03-2006, 09:13 AM
I wonder if they will only change it back if *specific* teams have trouble with turnovers and shooting %

Underdog
10-03-2006, 10:01 AM
I doubt they'll change it back - today's NBA seems very bull-headed...

Five-ofan
10-03-2006, 10:07 AM
Promoting the sale of merchandise over the good of the game.
Welcome to the party. Thats not exactly new.

dalmations202
10-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Knowing the NBA, they will keep the ball, and impose a "No Sweating Rule" to eliminate the problems with players and the ball.

WurzburgBorn
10-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I wonder if they will only change it back if *specific* teams have trouble with turnovers and shooting %

Lots of bricks...The Mavs are a pretty good offensive rebounding team...Chances are the new ball could favor the Mavs...yeah, they're gonna change it back.

Flacolaco
10-03-2006, 11:42 AM
I think Stern had the Phoenix Suns Gorilla do the testing for the new ball....

MavsX
10-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I think Stern had the Phoenix Suns Gorilla do the testing for the new ball....

haha! i love that guy!

Usually Lurkin
10-03-2006, 12:03 PM
Shaq no fan of NBA's new ball

"I think the new ball is terrible," O'Neal said Monday. "It's the worst decision some expert, whoever did it, made. ... The NBA's been around how long? A hundred years? Fifty years? So to change it now, whoever that person is needs his college degree revoked...."

This explains it:
From Steve Kerr's column (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=sk-mailbag092906&prov=yhoo&type=lgns):
...when the league designed the new ball last year, I was invited along with Reggie Miller and Mark Jackson to shoot around and dribble with it at Madison Square Garden. All three of us really liked the ball. It's a new design and it is made of composite leather rather than true leather.

Flacolaco wasn't far off with the quip about the Phoenix Suns' mascot.

alby
10-03-2006, 12:34 PM
his name is not mark cuban, he will not get fined

esp since he said "i'll probably be fined" which essentially calls out the league

jacktruth
10-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Didn't they use the new ball in the all-star game? Were there any comments from then?

Big Boy Laroux
10-03-2006, 01:25 PM
i don't think there were as many turnovers in the all-star game...

but that was probably because steve francis finally wasn't there.

alby
10-03-2006, 02:28 PM
i don't think there were as many turnovers in the all-star game...

but that was probably because steve francis finally wasn't there.

haha nice

nikeball
10-03-2006, 03:28 PM
for the one that asked for a picture of the nba ball:

http://www.nba.com/news/blackbox_060628.html

http://webspace.utexas.edu/nikeball/miscellaneous/NEWNBABALL

nashtymavsfan13
10-03-2006, 04:35 PM
I don't like the idea of the new ball, but they aren't going to switch it back.

nashtymavsfan13
10-03-2006, 07:55 PM
Despite Shaq's complaints, NBA says new ball is better

By BRIAN MAHONEY, AP Basketball Writer
October 3, 2006

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA is convinced it is playing with a better basketball this season -- no matter what Shaquille O'Neal thinks.

The league is debuting a new ball made of microfiber composite to replace the old leather balls, and O'Neal isn't impressed. The Miami Heat star blasted the ball Monday, criticizing not only the product but whoever was involved in the decision to use it.

One of those people, executive vice president of basketball operations Stu Jackson, defended the ball Tuesday -- while pointing out that Shaq has already used it.

"Sure you hear some comments that aren't as positive as the overwhelming majority of people that we tested the ball with," Jackson said in a phone interview. "That's going to happen. Everyone that handles the ball loves the grip and the feel of the ball."

Not O'Neal, who said the ball, "Feels like one of those cheap balls that you buy at the toy store, indoor-outdoor balls. I look for shooting percentages to be way down and turnovers to be way up, because when the ball gets wet you can't really control it."

Dwyane Wade had a similar complaint, but Jackson said this ball will have an improved grip once it gets wet.

"Some players have commented that they felt that the ball when it was wet, felt a little slick," Jackson said. "But if you moisturize a leather ball, it also feels very slick. But this new ball has a better grip when it's wet than a leather ball."

Even though the NBA is changing its ball for the first time in more than 35 years, its players have already had plenty of exposure to it. Jackson said the ball was sent to all teams after the All-Star break, and every player had one sent to him over the summer.

And most players were probably exposed to it even before that -- and O'Neal definitely was. The ball was used in the last two All-Star games, which O'Neal played in, and was tested in summer league and D-League play. It is also used at the amateur levels, so most players grow up using it.

"It's a better ball," Jackson said. "But as a product matter, composite balls are used in every league throughout the world. And they've been used in every level of play over the last 10 years domestically in the NCAA and also in high school."

Jackson said O'Neal would not be fined for his outburst, in which he said that the person who decided to change the ball, "needs his college degree revoked." But he did say that the change would not have been made if there were many similar complaints when the ball was tested.

"We would have pulled the ball," Jackson said.

alby
10-03-2006, 08:06 PM
they've all had exposure to it for awhile now, why speak up right before the season?

fluid.forty.one
10-03-2006, 09:54 PM
they've all had exposure to it for awhile now, why speak up right before the season?

so shaq will have an excuse when we beat the heat in the finals this year

vjz
10-03-2006, 10:51 PM
NEW YORK (AP) -- The NBA is convinced it is playing with a better basketball this season -- no matter what Shaquille O'Neal thinks.

This just makes me angry. I mean, the players actually *play* with the ball... the decision was probably made by someone who has never shot a basketball in his life.

Shaq is right, whoever made the decision should be fired.

Doesn't the NBA needs the Player's association's approval before changing balls?

Flacolaco
10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Wait...wait.... are you saying the league isn't going to do whatever it can for the Heat players??

This is destroying my whole belief system.....

MightyToine
10-04-2006, 11:45 AM
so shaq will have an excuse when we beat the heat in the finals this year

Have to GET TO THE FINALS FIRST, fluid. And I don't think the Spurs or Suns would let you this time around..... :D

Underdog
10-04-2006, 04:06 PM
Have to GET TO THE FINALS FIRST, fluid. And I don't think the Spurs or Suns would let you this time around..... :D

The season hasn't started yet, so if you have to default on numbers or speculation to prove a point, then you'll have to look at last season - you know, the one where the Mavs beat San Antonio & Phoenix? The only team who has room to talk trash before the season starts is the Heat [& the refs - they're like the freakin' Globetrotters, except not as funny!]

;)

some-dude
10-04-2006, 07:25 PM
Nash: New Balls extremely sticky

Arizona Republic - One day after Shaquille O'Neal complained about the new ball being used by the NBA, Suns guard Steve Nash added his name to the list of those not thrilled with it.

The two-time reigning league MVP said in a conference call from training camp in Italy on Tuesday that players are having a hard time. "It's a very difficult transition," Nash said. "I certainly won't have to lick my fingers. The ball sticks to your hand. It's a big transition. It's extremely sticky."

He said players are used to using the old ball's surface to make certain types of passes, as well as shooting. "All the players are having a real hard time making that transition," Nash said. "Hopefully, we'll find some common ground to normalcy and we'll get used to it. We do have a month to get it going. Right now I would say that the basketball sticks to the floor, it sticks to the backboard. It is different."
-----------

nashtymavsfan13
10-04-2006, 07:28 PM
Nash: New Balls extremely sticky

Arizona Republic - One day after Shaquille O'Neal complained about the new ball being used by the NBA, Suns guard Steve Nash added his name to the list of those not thrilled with it.

The two-time reigning league MVP said in a conference call from training camp in Italy on Tuesday that players are having a hard time. "It's a very difficult transition," Nash said. "I certainly won't have to lick my fingers. The ball sticks to your hand. It's a big transition. It's extremely sticky."

He said players are used to using the old ball's surface to make certain types of passes, as well as shooting. "All the players are having a real hard time making that transition," Nash said. "Hopefully, we'll find some common ground to normalcy and we'll get used to it. We do have a month to get it going. Right now I would say that the basketball sticks to the floor, it sticks to the backboard. It is different."
-----------

No more licking his fingers? That's one of the things that makes Steve Nash, Steve Nash. Has Dirk said anything about the new ball yet?

V2M
10-04-2006, 08:17 PM
So which is it... slick & slippery OR sticky?

kriD
10-05-2006, 01:36 AM
Has Dirk said anything about the new ball yet?
From the DMN:
"Dirk [Nowitzki] had two or three layups [in practice] and they just popped right out of his hands," Terry said.

Nowitzki, one of the NBA's biggest stars, gave a succinct impression of the new ball: a thumb's-down signal.

nashtymavsfan13
10-05-2006, 01:37 AM
Thanks kriD, it sounds like everybody but Jho dislikes the new ball.

Five-ofan
10-05-2006, 08:26 AM
So which is it... slick & slippery OR sticky?
sticky at first, slippery when wet. Its like a baiden football if you have ever used on of those.

Thespiralgoeson
10-06-2006, 03:29 PM
for the one that asked for a picture of the nba ball:

http://www.nba.com/news/blackbox_060628.html

http://webspace.utexas.edu/nikeball/miscellaneous/NEWNBABALL

I don't know about how the ball will effect the game, but do know this. That ball is ugly.

nah-vit-ski
10-07-2006, 03:22 PM
when i first heard him, i thought Shaq sounded like a whiney punk.

Free throw pecantages will go down? I think he's using that as an excuse for his % to suck ass again.

mqywaaah
10-08-2006, 04:55 AM
Im no fan of Shaq's bull. F him. Who needs his comments re the new Ball. haha

alby
10-08-2006, 09:19 AM
kobe loves it

Drbio
10-08-2006, 02:04 PM
Stern is beginning to retreat. There is a story on ESPN right now that says Stern is saying that the NBA is researching the ball and could go back to the old leather ball.

Nice retreat.

Flacolaco
10-08-2006, 11:35 PM
Stern is beginning to retreat. There is a story on ESPN right now that says Stern is saying that the NBA is researching the ball and could go back to the old leather ball.

Nice retreat.

Sterns decision making process is based on whichever way the Wade is blowing....I mean the wind. Whichever way the wind is blowing.

sorry.

mqywaaah
10-08-2006, 11:39 PM
I thought there was no looking back? Nice...

kriD
10-09-2006, 07:26 AM
Stern: NBA testing new ball; leather still an option

By Ian Whittell
Special to ESPN.com

PARIS -- David Stern has flown across the Atlantic on an NBA Europe Live tour that will have taken him to five countries by the middle of next week, but the league's commissioner has been unable to escape the raging controversy about the new basketball introduced this season.

Speaking to reporters in Paris before Sunday's exhibition game between the San Antonio Spurs and Maccabi Tel-Aviv, Stern conceded for the first time that reverting to the old leather ball is a possibility if the rigorous testing he has just ordered validates the widespread complaints about the ball -- particularly its tendency to become slippery when wet.

"We have sent out the most stringent testing crew to see what there is to the issue," Stern said when asked if returning to leather was under consideration.

"Right now our plans are to stay the course, but we will monitor it and if we find there is something to it and it is a serious issue, we will take the appropriate steps because the most important thing to us is the game.

"We have gone out and done tests. We have wet both balls. When the [old] leather ball is wet at the end of the game, it is very slippery.

"But with the new ball, all you have got to do is put in a new ball because they [Spalding's new microfiber composite balls] are all the same, all the time. One of the benefits Spalding stressed to us is that it is a better ball, it has a more modern approach to the grip that would endure.

"But the game is uppermost in our mind."

Stern went on to insist that the technology behind the new synthetic ball is sound.

"Spalding came to us and said they had a technology that will improve the ball," he said. "They said that we are the only sport, professional or college, the last sport using leather and that they had a way to improve it.

"They came to us several years ago and we said we would have to see the technology working … they wanted to launch it one year ago, but we said no. We used it in the D-League, used it in the summer league, had players test it individually and, a year later, they said they had improved it even more.

"We said, 'OK, let's go.' So that's what we did."

The change from traditional leather to a synthetic ball, the first such change made by the NBA in 35 years, has been greeted with almost universal criticism by players after a week of training camp.

Complaints have centered not only upon the ball becoming slippery, but also a "sticky" texture when dry and its tendency to wear out more quickly than the old-style ball, making it likely that more than one ball will have to be used in many games.

Underdog
10-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Maybe this season won't get ruined afterall...

fluid.forty.one
10-09-2006, 12:14 PM
I hope he changes it back.

MightyToine
10-13-2006, 12:31 AM
The season hasn't started yet, so if you have to default on numbers or speculation to prove a point, then you'll have to look at last season - you know, the one where the Mavs beat San Antonio & Phoenix? The only team who has room to talk trash before the season starts is the Heat [& the refs - they're like the freakin' Globetrotters, except not as funny!]

;)

Last Season was Last Season, Underdog. ;)

Oh and the New Ball sux.

sike
10-13-2006, 01:28 AM
Mighty Toine!!!

alby
10-13-2006, 03:20 AM
i felt the ball today during the warriors preseason game, the ball is extremely grippy.. i loved it

ty
10-13-2006, 03:26 AM
word is that steve nash will be licking sweat off players' heads rather than his fingers now

Underdog
10-13-2006, 09:55 AM
Last Season was Last Season, Underdog. ;)

Agreed - but I like to reference last year when I pull dubious claims outta my ass! ;)