PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal unveils new free-throw motion

mqywaaah
10-14-2006, 02:05 PM
O'Neal unveils new free-throw motion

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted October 13 2006

MIAMI The one-armed man was back at it at Heat practice Thursday, shooting free throws with the ball balanced on the palm of his right hand, with his left arm removed from the process.

Center Shaquille O'Neal continued to downplay the change to his motion that led to a pair of swishes in his only attempts in Tuesday's exhibition loss to the Pistons, but it's obvious this is nothing close to the form that led to career-worst .461 and .469 inaccuracy in his two seasons with the team.

LocalLinks

"I'm just practicing something different," he said.

The altered style not only has removed the hitch from his delivery, but also lofts the ball on a higher, more forgiving arc. Neither O'Neal nor coach Pat Riley would divulge how the change came about.

"It ain't nothing that I really thought about," O'Neal said.

"It looks a little nicer," Riley said.

Riley often had to remove O'Neal during tight situations in last season's run to the title, including the dramatic Game 5 overtime victory against Dallas in the NBA Finals. He said it is a strategy he would prefer to avoid.

"I hope that he gets it up there a little bit this year," Riley said. "We'll work with him and talk with him, if we have to, and show him film on it."

While O'Neal swished several consecutive shots after Thursday's practice at AmericanAirlines Arena, there also were several wayward attempts that bounded harshly off the rim.

"I think the more you talk about it, the worse it gets," Riley said.

LMAO funniest thing I've ever read in awhile. :D What a lost cause.

chumdawg
10-14-2006, 03:20 PM
I often putt one-handed.

mqywaaah
10-14-2006, 03:24 PM
Shaq confuses himself by shooting the FT one handed and practicing with himself two handed. LOL

nashtymavsfan13
10-14-2006, 04:06 PM
Shaq confuses himself by shooting the FT one handed and practicing with himself two handed. LOL

Way TMI.....

Five-ofan
10-14-2006, 04:40 PM
Just shoot em like everyone else does you fat moron. I know he has big hands and all but his biggest flaw is that he shoots the ball with no arc not that he shoots it with 2 hands.

SaltwaterChaffy
10-14-2006, 05:36 PM
He's got a screwed up wrist from a child hood injury. That's why he shot-puts the ball, not because he's a "fat moron."

EricaLubarsky
10-14-2006, 06:47 PM
He's got a screwed up wrist from a child hood injury. That's why he shot-puts the ball, not because he's a "fat moron."
Josh Howard who?

JHo had his legs serverly broken and in casts for months or years and he's a near allstar talent. Shaq had one wrist messed up as a child and he can still claim its what is holding him back?

SaltwaterChaffy
10-14-2006, 07:29 PM
Erica,

You're right, every human being's body operates in the exact same way. I forget these things some times.

jthig32
10-14-2006, 07:50 PM
Josh Howard who?

JHo had his legs serverly broken and in casts for months or years and he's a near allstar talent. Shaq had one wrist messed up as a child and he can still claim its what is holding him back?

Holding him back from being a top 5 center of all time? I'm unsure of your point here.

I honestly have no clue what Josh's condition has to do with Shaq's.

EricaLubarsky
10-14-2006, 08:14 PM
salt was excusing Shaq for his freethrows because when he was a baby one of his wrists was messed up. I honestly think that it is a crock of you-know-what to say that Shaq sucks at shooting FTs becuase he messed up his wrist when he's been a top player in the NBA for years. I also think its crap when people say "well he has large hands". Bradley had bigger hands and shot well for any NBA player.

Some BS injury years ago doesnt mean a damn thing and salt water wouldnt have gone sarcastic had he not been slapped with the truth-- players must and do overcome childhood inuries to be good at weak parts of their game.

Five-ofan
10-14-2006, 08:19 PM
ericas right on this one. I would love to know how you think his wrist is still affected but doesnt affect him in other parts of his game. Thats a bs excuse.

Murphy3
10-14-2006, 09:06 PM
I"ve always heard that he doesn't have normal range of motion in his wrists because of his injury. I'm not sure whether or not that's the case...just what I've always heard.

chumdawg
10-14-2006, 09:32 PM
I don't know what the big deal is about this. *Nobody* shoots free throws with two hands. The shooting part, I mean. If Shaq doesn't need the other hand there to support the ball as he cocks his wrist, then he doesn't need it at all.

Ever watch Magic Johnson shoot? His left hand wasn't near as active as most.

jthig32
10-14-2006, 09:36 PM
ericas right on this one. I would love to know how you think his wrist is still affected but doesnt affect him in other parts of his game. Thats a bs excuse.

Other than a free throw, the man never shoots outside of 10, and you can't see why a problem with his wrist would affect longer shots, but not shorter shots?

Free throws are the only time he shoots something resembling a set shot, something not a dunk, hook or drop of some sort.

twelli
10-14-2006, 09:45 PM
Is free-throw shooting really about technique? Don't think so.

I think it's more about how you are able to settle down at the line during a game with your body in high gear and all the people watching you. If body and mind finds a balance within those few seconds before the free throw you make them with three fingers if you need. So practicing is just for finding a routine that you feel comfortable with. I remember Shaq saying that he makes most of his free throws in practice. I think he needs some help in the "How to settle down" department more than anything.

jthig32
10-14-2006, 09:59 PM
Is free-throw shooting really about technique? Don't think so.

I think it's more about how you are able to settle down at the line during a game with your body in high gear and all the people watching you. If body and mind finds a balance within those few seconds before the free throw you make them with three fingers if you need. So practicing is just for finding a routine that you feel comfortable with. I remember Shaq saying that he makes most of his free throws in practice. I think he needs some help in the "How to settle down" department more than anything.

While you are right in that free throws are a lot about concentration, all the concentration in the world won't help you if you have poor technique. Any basketball coach alive will tell you that you have to get a routine down, and do taht routine exactley the same every single time you shoot a free throw.

Beyond that, there are most certainly important technique points, such as the ultimate arc. 5-0 was right when he referenced how flat Shaq shoots the ball. There is no room for error.

MavsX
10-14-2006, 10:59 PM
shaq has the worst all time FT percentage

twelli
10-14-2006, 11:19 PM
While you are right in that free throws are a lot about concentration, all the concentration in the world won't help you if you have poor technique. Any basketball coach alive will tell you that you have to get a routine down, and do taht routine exactley the same every single time you shoot a free throw.

Beyond that, there are most certainly important technique points, such as the ultimate arc. 5-0 was right when he referenced how flat Shaq shoots the ball. There is no room for error.

Sure, in theory, you have to have routine you need to stick to. But even without a routine the average NBA player should knock down at least 75% of his FTs under any circumstances. These guys do this EVERY SINGLE day. How hard can it be? It's all mental. As strong as Shaq is physically, I think he is not cold-blooded enough to make those free-throws in games.

People who like to make jokes and try to be funny, are usually a bit insecure from the inside...

...trust me, I know... : > )

chumdawg
10-14-2006, 11:47 PM
If Shaq learns to make free throws at a decent clip, the league just gets less entertaining. I don't think we want that, now do we?

It's a shame he is too proud to shoot them underhanded. He could probably make those at a 70% clip.

V2M
10-14-2006, 11:49 PM
O'Neal needs to just retire and join the Police full-time!

Five-ofan
10-14-2006, 11:53 PM
shaq has the worst all time FT percentage
Ben Wallace? Bo outlaw? Chris Dudley? No I didnt look it up just people i would have guessed were lower. Wilt was pretty awful too.

Murphy3
10-15-2006, 12:00 AM
Yep, Shaq's worst year's FT% is higher than Dudley's CAREER FT%. Shaq also has a career FT% significantly higher than Chamberlain's. Wilt shot 38% from the FT line one year.

Ben Wallace isn't nearly as good of a career FT shooter as Shaq. Wallace is at 41.9% while Shaq is at 52.8%. And yeah, Bo Outlaw is a little worse than Shaq for his career also.

nikeball
10-15-2006, 12:55 AM
FT is why shaq will never be the most dominant player ever.

nashtymavsfan13
10-15-2006, 03:16 AM
FT is why shaq will never be the most dominant player ever.

Or MJ.

SaltwaterChaffy
10-15-2006, 04:25 AM
Erica,

I would retort, but Murph pretty much covered it. Thanks for the reply!

Five,

The range of motion one would use for shooting a free throw is completely different from Shaq's normal shooting motions of a)dunk, b) lay-in, c) baby hook. Shaq's not often shooting jumpers or even set shots.

mqywaaah
10-15-2006, 11:30 AM
Well the phrase fom sublime to ridiculous comes to mind.