PDA

View Full Version : Isiah picks on ESPN's Anthony

dirt_dobber
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Isiah picks on ESPN's Anthony
BY FRANK ISOLA
NY DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/story/463044p-389613c.html

Saying that Greg Anthony should "never ever be in a position to question myself on anything about basketball because I do remember the kind of player he was" Isiah Thomas yesterday criticized the ESPN analyst for comments Anthony made on draft night after Thomas selected South Carolina forward Renaldo Balkman with the 20th pick in the draft.

"This so-called former Knick, who on draft night with millions of people watching had the audacity to take me to task on a player that I'm pretty sure he had never seen before in his life," Thomas said. "But he stands on national television and he talks about a kid that he has absolutely no idea about. I'm glad that all of New York doesn't think like Greg Anthony."

Thomas' impromptu rant about Anthony came after when he was asked about Balkman, who has enjoyed a good preseason and has been embraced by the fans and teammates alike. Quentin Richardson has already given Balkman the nickname "Taz" - short for Tasmanian Devil. Balkman's aggressive, non-stop playing style has already been a hit at the Garden, where a few years ago fans fell for another energetic player with braided hair.

Even if Balkman's offensive game is nowhere near that of Latrell Sprewell, he has impressed. Thomas compares Balkman favorably to Dennis Rodman, the coach's former Detroit Pistons teammate.

"He definitely makes you notice," Thomas said following yesterday's practice in Greenburgh. "I said I wanted to have a blank canvas and he definitely put some paint on the canvas. We'll see where it goes from here. We do understand this is exhibition. But things he does on the floor are very unique. He's a different kind of player, different kind of talent."

Of course, the crowd's reaction on draft night to Thomas' decision to select Balkman ranged from "boo" to "who?" That same crowd also went after Thomas, the Knicks GM/head coach, with the obligatory chant of "Fire Isiah" and "Where's Our Draft Pick?" a reference to Thomas trading away the Knicks' lottery selection to Chicago in the Eddy Curry deal.

What Thomas remembers most about that June night were comments made by Anthony, who called the pick "befuddling" and later surmised that Thomas selected Balkman and Mardy Collins in the first round because they are clients of Leon Rose, the agent who represents LeBron James. One month later, James re-signed with Cleveland.

Anthony's ESPN colleague, Jay Bilas, was also critical of Thomas, calling the pick a "stunner" and saying that Balkman was a "second-round draft pick." Thomas has a beef only with Anthony, however, and suggested that the former point guard betrayed the organization that originally drafted him.

"I thought he was very unfair to the Knicks organization," Thomas said. "It's different had he not wore a Knicks uniform. The guy claimed to have been a Knick and to treat the Knicks the way he treated us that night.... I know a Piston never would do that. A Celtic would never do that and a Laker never would do that. Just goes to show you what we're dealing with."

Thomas has not addressed the issue with Anthony but admitted, "I would love to speak to him. I would love to see him."

Attempts to contact Anthony yesterday were unsuccessful.

Before going to ESPN, Anthony did some work for MSG Network on the Knicks' television and radio broadcasts. Yesterday, Thomas said that if it were up to him, he would not allow Anthony to work for the club.

"My vote is definitely against him," he said. "Let's make that understood."

dirt_dobber
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
I can't stand Isiah. He questions that Anthony should be more loyal since he was once a knick, but I applaud him (GA) for his objectivity.

As a GM Isiah has made so many boneheaded moves it is laughable, and his track record as coach is just as bad.

dirt_dobber
10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Should we resurect the "Knick's to the lottery thread"

kg_veteran
10-19-2006, 07:41 PM
Isiah Thomas was a great player, but he is horrible at everything else basketball-related. His comments about Anthony are petty and childish. I don't necessarily think Greg Anthony is a basketball genius, but for Isiah to proclaim that he was right and Anthony was wrong when Balkman hasn't played a single regular season game is incredibly premature. For Isiah to imply that because he was the better player that he is smarter than Greg Anthony is completely nonsensical.

Plus, it is an understood fact that Isiah is a terrible GM, so I think Anthony should be given the benefit of the doubt, even if he didn't know a thing about Balkman. It can be presumed that when Isiah makes a draft pick that deviates from conventional wisdom, it is bad rather than good.

Hitman
10-20-2006, 10:54 AM
Isiah Thomas was a great player, but he is horrible at everything else basketball-related. His comments about Anthony are petty and childish. I don't necessarily think Greg Anthony is a basketball genius, but for Isiah to proclaim that he was right and Anthony was wrong when Balkman hasn't played a single regular season game is incredibly premature. For Isiah to imply that because he was the better player that he is smarter than Greg Anthony is completely nonsensical.

Plus, it is an understood fact that Isiah is a terrible GM, so I think Anthony should be given the benefit of the doubt, even if he didn't know a thing about Balkman. It can be presumed that when Isiah makes a draft pick that deviates from conventional wisdom, it is bad rather than good.

KG - Actually, Isiah's draft picks have been very good. And I saw Balkman play live on Tuesday night, and I can tell you...the guy is good. Now, according to a lot of sources the Knicks could have gotten him with their 2nd pick, and if that is the case, it is another blunder on Isiah's part. However, we will never really know if that is the case at all.

But yes...Isiah is very petty and childlish in his remarks. He is hanging on by a threada dn when he is fired he will never get another job in the NBA.

kg_veteran
10-20-2006, 11:10 AM
KG - Actually, Isiah's draft picks have been very good. And I saw Balkman play live on Tuesday night, and I can tell you...the guy is good. Now, according to a lot of sources the Knicks could have gotten him with their 2nd pick, and if that is the case, it is another blunder on Isiah's part. However, we will never really know if that is the case at all.

I don't think Sweetney (that was Thomas, right?) was a very good pick, but yes, the rest of his picks have worked out well. Still, other than Balkman I don't really think he has defied conventional wisdom in any of his other picks. My point was, if Isiah goes out on his own and makes an unusual pick, I see no problem with presuming he doesn't know what he's doing.

If Balkman turns out to prove that notion wrong, so be it.

But yes...Isiah is very petty and childlish in his remarks. He is hanging on by a threada dn when he is fired he will never get another job in the NBA.

Let's hope so. He has proven to be terrible at both coaching and general management.

EricaLubarsky
10-20-2006, 02:11 PM
Anthony was saying what we ALL were thinking. The Knicks fans were booing for g-d's sake. Isaiah is a terrible motivator and a terrible leader and this is just some of that showing.

jacktruth
10-20-2006, 02:59 PM
It doesn't matter if Balkman ends up in the hall of fame. The fact is that NOBODY was going to take Balkman in the first round, and he could have at minimum, traded down to the first pick in the second round and got more value from the pick.

dirno2000
10-20-2006, 03:36 PM
It’s not that easy to move from 20 to the first pick of the 2nd round. Those teams at the top of the 2nd would really have to like a player to give up a future one (the likely asking price if there were not players involved) to move up in the weakest drafts in history.

If you like a guy and you think he can contribute, why not take him at 20? Maybe you can get him in the 2nd round but you can’t know that. Nobody’s going to show you their board and everybody lies on draft day anyway.

Isiah’s been such a train wreck as the Knicks GM that he now gets ripped for everything he does. It’s rare to see a team take so much heat for the 20th and 29th picks in the draft. When you get to that section of the draft, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and , as has been mentioned, he’s actually done a pretty good job with the draft.

MavKikiNYC
10-21-2006, 09:32 PM
Sweetney was a Layden pick.

Thomas blows.

Thespiralgoeson
10-22-2006, 12:53 AM
Isiah Thomas is a dickhead.

mqywaaah
10-22-2006, 09:14 AM
Amen!

alby
10-22-2006, 07:42 PM
knicks will make the playoffs

book it

chumdawg
10-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Itís not that easy to move from 20 to the first pick of the 2nd round. Those teams at the top of the 2nd would really have to like a player to give up a future one (the likely asking price if there were not players involved) to move up in the weakest drafts in history.

If you like a guy and you think he can contribute, why not take him at 20? Maybe you can get him in the 2nd round but you canít know that. Nobodyís going to show you their board and everybody lies on draft day anyway.

Isiahís been such a train wreck as the Knicks GM that he now gets ripped for everything he does. Itís rare to see a team take so much heat for the 20th and 29th picks in the draft. When you get to that section of the draft, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and , as has been mentioned, heís actually done a pretty good job with the draft.Voice of reason. It's like everybody assumes that Thomas could have traded down ten or fifteen spots and picked up something of value. Well, maybe not.

It's also like everyone assumes that Thomas could have selected a franchise savior at 20 or 29 in the draft. Go back and look at picks in that range. For every Josh Howard, there are probably forty guys now unemployed.

Thomas is now, simply put, damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. He's just damned. But I don't mind the pick. And I suspect that if he can stick around long enough, Thomas just may make something of that franchise. They do have an extraordinary amount of money to spend--way, way, way more than the next-highest team--so you would count them out at your own peril.

Thespiralgoeson
10-23-2006, 07:48 PM
Oh I for one am not saying anything bad about the pick. I just think he's a dickhead personally.

ty
10-25-2006, 12:30 PM

book it

starrrrrrrrbury

what a good man to make cheap shoes

MavKikiNYC
10-25-2006, 12:40 PM

book it

Meh.

Like being valedictorian on the short bus.

FINtastic
10-25-2006, 03:27 PM
And I suspect that if he can stick around long enough, Thomas just may make something of that franchise. They do have an extraordinary amount of money to spend--way, way, way more than the next-highest team--so you would count them out at your own peril.

So you are going with the "Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while" strategy.

MavKikiNYC
10-27-2006, 01:18 PM
Isiah sees how to Spur a rebirth

BY MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER Considering all that has gone terribly wrong for the Knicks during his tenure as team president, Isiah Thomas would have to qualify as one of the last people you'd want to consult on how to rebuild a pro basketball team into a championship contender.

San Antonio's Gregg Popovich definitely could present a winning blueprint. Miami's Pat Riley and Detroit's Joe Dumars certainly could shed some light on how to restock a roster and win a title. As for Thomas, the only championship jewelry he can show is from his playing days in Detroit. But that didn't stop him from weighing in on the subject yesterday after the Knicks' practice in Greenburgh.

"I think probably the best way to do it is the way San Antonio did it," he said. "You start with (David) Robinson and then (Tim) Duncan."

Not that that's an original idea, mind you.

"When you start with those two and then it's like, whatever you do is right for the next 10years," Thomas added. "It's a combination of everything. And every situation is different because it depends on the market you're in. It depends on the contracts of the players. You definitely want to have good drafts. Every year you've got to have good drafts. You've gotta have good trades. It's a combination of everything.

"And you've got to get lucky. You've got to get lucky."

Lucky, one would assume, as in having Kobe Bryant accept the chance to play in New York for just the mid-level exception, starting at $5 million. That approach, of course, did not work three summers ago for Thomas, who inherited a bad situation and made it worse.

If Thomas was inclined to avoid answering the rebuilding question, he merely could have pointed to the job the Nets have done under Rod Thorn. Not that long ago, they, and not the Knicks, were the laughingstock franchise of the NBA.

While Thomas gambled his rebuilding plan on Stephon Marbury and Eddy Curry, Thorn swung one of the brilliant deals of all time in trading Marbury for Jason Kidd. Since then, the Nets have bolted past the Knicks with their greatest stretch of success in the NBA.

Tonight, the vast differences between the two teams again will be evident as the Knicks wrap up their preseason schedule at the Meadowlands.

"We're not a veteran team that's been together for five or six years like New Jersey," Thomas said. "You know you're going to see (Richard) Jefferson, Kidd and (Vince) Carter and (Nenad) Krstic and (Jason) Collins, if not it's (Cliff) Robinson. We're not that far along yet."

Under Thomas, the Knicks still are in no-man's land. The team has regressed in each of his last two seasons as team president, while its payroll has continued to expand. That has all happened as Thomas has failed to procure the franchise talent to get his team turned around. As he himself admitted, "I don't see us coming into the arena with one guy designated to carry the load."

If he had such a talent, he really could give you a tip or two on rebuilding.