PDA

View Full Version : If computers ran the NBA, Shaq would be benched

birdsanctuary
10-25-2006, 11:39 PM
LINK (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=reuters-nbacomputers&prov=reuters&type=lgns)

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Shaquille O'Neal may be one of the best basketball players on the planet, but he should have been benched in this year's National Basketball Association championships.

Or so concludes a new statistical measurement developed by Lenovo Group Ltd. the world's third-largest personal computer maker. Introduced by Lenovo and the NBA on Monday, the statistic is supposed show which five players combine to make the best team on the court at any one time.

In June's NBA finals, for instance, the Lenovo Stat showed the best combination for the champion Miami Heat included Dwyane Wade, James Posey, Gary Payton, Antoine Walker, and Alonzo Mourning.

Missing from the list is O'Neal, the 7'1" Miami Heat center who is an 11-times NBA All-Star and named one of the 50 Greatest Players in league history. But it was with Mourning -- rather than O'Neal -- that the Heat had the greatest point advantage during the championships, according to the Lenovo Stat.

Lenovo is launching the statistic as part of a new multi-year marketing partnership with the NBA. Under the partnership, Lenovo will place notebook and desktop computers in all 30 NBA arenas for use by coaches and referees.

NBA Commissioner David Stern, who said the statistic would give coaches "enormous additional data," declined to comment on the conclusion about O'Neal.

"Shaq is a friend of mine," he joked.

birdsanctuary
10-25-2006, 11:41 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Shaq benched in just about every critical moment of Finals 06?

Apparently so is Dwayne Wade...:D

nashtymavsfan13
10-25-2006, 11:44 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, wasn't Shaq benched in just about every critical moment of Finals 06?

Apparently so is Dwayne Wade...:D

Lol, genius :D

Five-ofan
10-26-2006, 12:06 AM
Because 82games.com hasnt been doing this for years or anything....

BTW- the reason mourning has a better +- is that most of his minutes were when van horn played which not coincidentally is when the mavs sucked the most...

nashtymavsfan13
10-26-2006, 12:26 AM
BTW- the reason mourning has a better +- is that most of his minutes were when van horn played which not coincidentally is when the mavs sucked the most...

Lol, figures. But I would say Mourning was more productive than Shaq overall, especially on the defensive end. Really, the only thing Shaq did was take some of the defensive focus off Wade for awhile.

Five-ofan
10-26-2006, 12:27 AM
Lol, figures. But I would say Mourning was more productive than Shaq overall, especially on the defensive end. Really, the only thing Shaq did was take some of the defensive focus off Wade for awhile.
He took ALL of the defensive attention off wade for the first 5 games.

nashtymavsfan13
10-26-2006, 12:30 AM
He took ALL of the defensive attention off wade for the first 5 games.

I wouldn't say ALL of it, but yes he took a lot of it off Wade.

mqywaaah
10-26-2006, 12:37 AM

Figures.

birdsanctuary
10-26-2006, 01:14 AM

The only plus minus-ing Shaq did to help Miami win it all was adding that elbow to the side of Nowitzki's head subtracting Dirk as the finals MVP.

MavsX
10-26-2006, 07:34 AM
this is crap stern is just afraid of shaq giving him the beat down