PDA

View Full Version : Knicks: Thomas hints Rose could be gone soon

kriD
10-29-2006, 07:45 AM
Knicks: Thomas hints Rose could be gone soon

Sunday, October 29, 2006
BY DAVID WALDSTEIN
Star-Ledger Staff

Jalen Rose has not been part of the Knicks rotation, and isn't a part of their future, either. The only question remaining is how long until the tie is formally cut. It could happen in a couple of days, based on signals given by Isiah Thomas.

Rose, who has seen only token minutes all preseason, didn't play against the Nets Friday night, and wasn't even at the Knicks open practice yesterday at Fairleigh Dickinson University.

A smile and a wave were all Thomas could muster when asked if Rose was still going to be a member of the team. If he's not, the most likely scenario is that the Knicks could be negotiating buyout of his contract, which has one year and $16.9 million remaining.

A Knicks spokesman said Rose wasn't at practice yesterday because of "personal reasons," but did not elaborate. When asked yesterday if Rose would be a part of the rotation, Thomas indicated something was brewing.

"I'll let you know in a couple of days," he said.

As he walked out of the Rothman Center gym for the bus, Thomas was asked directly if Rose would still be a part of the team. He paused, smiled and gave the two-finger peace sign as he walked away.

Clearly, something is going on, and considering Rose's hefty contract, and his age -- he will be 34 in January -- a trade seems unlikely, especially with teams having their rosters set as the regular season approaches.

Although it appears to be a colossal waste of money, Rose wasn't going to play this season and the Knicks were going to have to pay him anyway. If he gets bought out, he doesn't sit around and become a distraction to team, and his money would come off the books at the end of the season for salary cap purposes.

That's what Thomas did with Maurice Taylor earlier this month, and with Shandon Anderson two years ago. Anderson ended up in Miami and won a championship, and Taylor signed with the Kings a few months ago.

Despite playing only four preseason games (42 minutes total) and taking just two shots (he went (0-for-2), Rose never complained all camp, and said he had no problem with how Thomas had handled his situation.

"It's not about me," he said recently. "It's about the team. I have complete faith in Isiah that whatever he does will be in the best interests of the team."

The Knicks held their annual open practice in front of an estimated (by the Knicks) 1,500 people at FDU's Rothman Center in Hackensack yesterday as part of their effort to fill the void the Nets would leave if they eventually go to Brooklyn. But Brooklyn's Stephon Marbury pointed out the Knicks already have a strong fan base in New Jersey.

"We're already here," Marbury said. "If they leave, that's even better. But we're already established here."

Assistant coach Brendan Suhr, a star at nearby Fair Lawn High School in the late 1960s right after Mike Fratello, said he was fortunate enough to attend a similar Knicks event in 1969 at McGuire Air Force Base, when Walt Frazier and Willis Reed were playing.

"The only difference was that I was the only one there," he said. "They were practicing and my friend was officiating the scrimmage, so he brought me along. I've always remembered that, and I still kid Walt about it."

Suhr grew up a Knicks fan, and said the area still pulls for the team, despite the relocation of the Nets in the 1977.

"It's a great market," he said. "It's a large part of our fan base."

Thomas said part of the reason the Knicks gave up 138 points Friday night against the Nets was because he didn't want to show opponents some defensive wrinkles like zones and the press.

"We didn't necessarily use a full defensive or offensive menu during the exhibition season," he said. "Hopefully as the regular season rolls out we'll be able to display some of that."

Kelvin Cato did not attend practice for "personal reasons."... Jerome James stayed at the Knicks facility to get treatment for his plantar fasciitis.

MavKikiNYC
10-29-2006, 08:18 AM
Larry Brown wanted to get rid of Maurice Taylor and Jalen Rose.

They bought out Taylor and appear on the verge of getting rid of Rose.

I think Larry Brown deserves overtime.

spreedom
10-29-2006, 01:08 PM
Didn't Larry Brown also want to get rid of Jerome James, Jamal Crawford, Stephon Marbury, and Quentin Richardson?

MavKikiNYC
10-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Didn't Larry Brown also want to get rid of Jerome James, Jamal Crawford, Stephon Marbury, and Quentin Richardson?

Yes, sorta, definitely, and not necessarily.

FINtastic
10-29-2006, 02:55 PM
I bet Larry Brown wanted to get rid of Isiah too.

MavKikiNYC
10-29-2006, 03:05 PM
I bet Larry Brown wanted to get rid of Isiah too.

No doubt about that.

spreedom
10-30-2006, 12:27 AM
I'm glad Isiah got rid of "Next Town" Brown instead.. at least with Isiah, the Knicks will be interesting to watch, as opposed to boring, as Brown coaches.. oh well, they'll be brutal either way. At least that's 2-80 guaranteed for the Mavs!

kriD
10-30-2006, 04:34 AM
Knicks Will Buy Out Contract of Rose

By THE NEW YORK TIMES
Published: October 30, 2006

Jalen Rose will be waived by the Knicks, possibly as soon as today, as the team continues its youth movement.

The team is negotiating a buyout of the final year of Rose’s contract, which calls for him to earn $16.9 million. The precise terms of the buyout are not known.

“We’re close to reaching an agreement, and my expectation is it could be done as early as tomorrow,” Arn Tellem, Rose’s agent, said last night.

Rose, 33, was became expendable after the Knicks signed small forward Jared Jeffries over the summer. They also drafted small forward Renaldo Balkman with the 20th pick.

kriD
10-31-2006, 05:59 AM
Riley: Jalen Rose is a 'very skilled player'

By Ira Winderman
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted October 30 2006, 6:00 PM EST

MIAMI -- The bloom is off Jalen Rose in New York, but that doesn't mean Pat Riley can't envision the veteran swingman blossoming in South Florida.

Unlike most cases when the Heat coach downplays free-agent prospects, Riley sounded intrigued Monday with the possibility of adding the 6-foot-8 veteran.

"He's a very skilled player," Riley said shortly after Rose agreed to a buyout with the Knicks. "He's still young, I think, at 33 years old. So he is capable. He's very capable, we know that. But he has to be at the right place at the right time."

Riley offered his comment about Rose shortly after he said a potential return of forward Shandon Anderson has been placed on the backburner.

Because Rose received a significant portion of the $17 million he was due this season from the Knicks, he would arrive with relatively little impact on the Heat's salary cap. He is scheduled to clear waivers at midday Wednesday, after which he can sign with the team of his choice.

Rose spent the NBA Finals covering the Heat for Fox Sports and reveled in the championship moment with several Heat players in the locker room in Dallas.

His ability to play both backcourt positions could help alleviate early-season questions created by the injury absence of point guard Jason Williams, as well as the lack of experience at shooting guard behind Dwyane Wade.

The NBA's Most Improved Player in 2000 while with Indiana, Rose fell out of favor in New York with Isiah Thomas' shift to coach. While he started four exhibitions, he did not start the second half of any of those games, with his conditioning questioned.

Thomas told New York media Monday that Rose still could have an impact in the league and could impact a playoff race.