View Full Version : Malone sits out Kings game

MavsFanFinley
04-05-2002, 09:56 PM
Anyone care? i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif

Mailman sits against Kings with swollen right knee

By TIM KORTE
AP Sports Writer
April 5, 2002

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Utah Jazz forward Karl Malone, nursing a swollen right knee, was scratched from the lineup for Friday night's game against the Sacramento Kings.

It was only the fifth time the 38-year-old Malone has missed a game because of injury during his 17 NBA seasons, but the second time in three weeks. He sat out a 100-97 victory at Detroit on March 15 with flu-like symptoms.

Malone is averaging 22.7 points, 8.7 rebounds and 38.2 minutes a game.

Donyell Marshall, who usually plays at small forward, was expected to replace Malone at power forward against the Kings, who have soundly defeated the Jazz three times this season.

Malone arrived at the Delta Center but was being treated for the injury and wasn't available for comment, according to team spokesman Kim Turner. An MRI exam earlier Friday revealed no serious problem with the knee, Turner said.

Malone, the No. 2 scorer in NBA history, hurt his knee three minutes into a 98-90 loss in Denver on Tuesday. Calbert Cheaney rolled over Malone's right knee, putting him on the bench about five minutes.

He returned to action and scored 15 points with 11 rebounds in 37 minutes. Malone had 24 points, eight rebounds and seven assists in the next game, a 99-87 victory over the Los Angeles Clippers on Wednesday.

Malone has missed nine games during his career, four because of league suspensions.

Until missing the game in Detroit, he hadn't sat out with an injury since April 21-22, 1989, when he missed two games with a sprained ankle.

OzMavs
04-05-2002, 10:13 PM
I don't really car too much for Malone. But from a Mavs perspective it would be nice if they could beat the Sacto.

scooterj5
04-05-2002, 10:15 PM
"NO"

MavsFanFinley
04-05-2002, 10:23 PM
I don't care either, just trying to report some news. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

OzMavs
04-05-2002, 10:35 PM
It is amazing that he has only been injured five times in his career. Especially with all the physical work he does.

Drbio
04-06-2002, 01:52 AM
Good point OzMavs. I truly dislike Malone. I really hate the guy, but he plays hard....dirty sometimes for sure....but always hard. His physical conditioning is way above average.