PDA

View Full Version : Don Nelson rips his new team

Darth Ape
11-02-2006, 06:16 PM
http://mercextra.com/blogs/kawakami/2006/11/02/don-nelson-welcome-to-the-real-warriors/

NELSON opening statement: Well, so much for good starts. Iím obviously very disappointed with our performance and our energy and whatever else went on out there. I just didnít expect that kind of performance.
We reverted back to the way we played last year and looked like the same team or worse. Started off with the free throwsĖthatís disappointing enough.
I think the team is telling me that Iím going to have to make some changes in the line-up or changes in the way that weíre approaching some things. Defensively, rebounding-wise, almost any way you can cut it, we were poor tonight.

Weíve been dodging bullets, probably, in training camp, playing against line-ups that were less than NBA quality in the pre-season and maybe I got a false impression here of the team.
But no more. Iím wide awake. Donít know exactly whatís going to happen. But I think we need to seriously think about what weíre doing and how weíre playing with whom.

QUESTION: You were making a lot of line-up changes. Were you happy with any personnel group you put out there?
NELSON: We had no bursts of energy. We just didnít do any of the things weíve been working on for over a month now. We reverted back to stand around and watch one guy dribble, dribble, dribbleÖ
Whatever I tried, I mean, nothing worked. I didnít know where to go. Thatís one of the first times in my coaching career, I just didnít know what to do. I didnít know what play call to make, I didnít know what line-upÖ Whatever I tried was wrong. That was very frustrating for me.

QUESTION: Theyíve played like this before. Is it possible that this is just how these players play?
NELSON: Geez, I hope not. God, I donít know.
Thatís something weíll have to evaluate. But we should evaluate that over a period of time. Maybe youíve already done it, I donít know. I havenít.
Iím certainly not making excuses, but weíve had a couple guys who havenít played for a while. And they were terrible.
I like the energy J.R. tried to create, but his game is far from where he wants it to be.
And Murphy was just terrible. Other than the reboundingĖmissed his free throws, missed wide-open lay-ups. His timing has gone south.
Maybe I shouldíve anticipated that.
(Pause.)
Dunleavy was a disaster. Didnít rebound, didnít guard, didnít do anything.
Baron Davis, as much as he tried to do some things, was a negative. He pounded the ball too much, he didnít run the break, he didnít move crisply. Just tons of things.
I didnít like Monta Ellisí energy. He didnít really turn it up the way I want him to play until the end of the game.
(Another pause.)
So anyway, I hope it doesnít get any worse than this. This is a bad start for us. And we will re-group and we will be ready for the next game. Thank you.

MavKikiNYC
11-02-2006, 06:19 PM
Because they didn't play defense?

dirno2000
11-02-2006, 06:44 PM
It takes a lot of nerve to talk about defense when your starting front line is Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and Micael Pietrus.

chumdawg
11-02-2006, 07:13 PM
Wow. That's an assripping if I've ever seen one!

fluid.forty.one
11-02-2006, 07:30 PM
That's awesome

MavKikiNYC
11-02-2006, 08:55 PM
Nellie may have a different demeanor than Larry Brown, so he may be able to deliver that kind of critique without losing them from the get-go.

But I'll be surprised if some of the Warriors players (Baron Davis, for example) take that kind of public dressing down all season long.

Maybe there's a reason Nellie's trying to wheedle his retirment fund out of Cuban after all.

birdsanctuary
11-02-2006, 09:30 PM
God, I really do miss Nellie...

I'd hate to be the Jailblazers, GS is gonna beat them by 50 after this fire Nellie lit under his players' asses...