PDA

View Full Version : Spurs sign James White this morning

Big Shot Rob
11-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Anyone know anything about him?

I read that the Spurs want him to learn to play defense to replace Bruce Bowen someday.

Dtownsfinest
11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Not really known for his defense but for his athleticism. Popovich can probably teach him defense but like I said in another thread go to Youtube.com. The guy is a monster when it comes to dunking. Really Vince Carter-like.

DelNegro
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM

I read that the Spurs want him to learn to play defense to replace Bruce Bowen someday.

He's an absolute freak of an athlete. The Spurs worked him out before the draft and were rumored to have tried to trade up to get him. The Pacers traded three 2nd round picks to move up to the top pick of the 2nd round to get him. That was before the Armstrong-Johnson trade which also netted the Pacers Rawle Marshall & Josh Powell. Powell & Marshall outplayed White in pre-season, the pacers had too many guys under contract so White got bit in the numbers game. Had the Pacers had a roster spot he'd definitely still be on their roster.

DelNegro
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
White's NBA draftnet bio:

Strengths: Blessed with world class athleticism/leaping ability ... Gets up with the best of them ... Very good quickness, and good first step ... Has experience after staying in college all four years ... An underrated passer, he's got good vision and plays unselfish ... Handles the ball well, at times bringing the ball up for the Bearcats ... A good defender on the perimeter with his long arms and quickness ...

Weaknesses: Still very raw. Jump shot and handle need refinement ... Has not shown the ability to add much strength to his frame ... Cannot handle contact, and rarely gets dunks in traffic ... Needs to get much stronger, improve defensively, gain consistency. Has not broken into the top notch college player that many expected ... Has a tough time with consistency and assertiveness ... Why he hasn't broken into a dominant player is anyone's guess, he has the talent, just hasn't put it together...

http://www.nbadraft.net/admincp/profiles/jameswhite.html

Dirkenstien
11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Here is a complete outlook of the guy's strengths, weaknesses, competition, and future outlook.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=71

Crap, I would have much rather signed White than JJB. Where was our management on this one?

MavsFanFinley
11-03-2006, 03:57 PM
Great move by the Spurs. They were looking for an athletic long small forward to replace Bowen soon.

I know Carlisle was torn about waiving him but Marshall outplayed him and was ready to help them now instead of White. The Spurs can afford to groom White for a year and see what he has next season.

The big question with White is whether he's willing to work on a jump shot and not just be the ridiculous dunker he is now. He has the tools to be a good defensive player and no better organization to teach him that than the Spurs.

Flacolaco
11-03-2006, 04:46 PM
...replace Bowen soon

That phrase makes my sports pants dance

Dirkenstien
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
Does anyone else know or understand why we didn't take a chance on this guy but opted for the undrafted Juan Barea instead?

*spelling

MavsFanFinley
11-03-2006, 04:57 PM
Does anyone else know or understand why we didn't take a chance on this guy but opted for the undrafted Juan Barea instead?

The Pacers drafted White and didn't waive him until the last minute on Monday. He had to clear waivers (some thought the Suns or Lakers would claim him) before he could sign with another team.

The Mavs may have contacted his agent. I don't know.

4cwebb
11-03-2006, 06:31 PM
while this guy may have the tools, I'm not too worried about him replacing Bowen or becoming a solid performer for the Spurs. If I were a Spurs' fan, I don't mind taking the gamble, but I worry whether the guy has the dedication to get this done. He's got as much raw physical talent as just about anyone in the NBA, but he's never been able to translate that into success on the basketball floor at even a college level.

MavsX
11-05-2006, 04:23 PM

i wish you would quit starting threads..get the F outta here. you retard

nashtymavsfan13
11-05-2006, 04:54 PM

Dude, leave him alone. All the threads he's started have been decent threads.

Big Shot Rob
11-05-2006, 05:42 PM

I admit--I don't know as much about basketball as most of the people who write here on a consistent basis.

I am assuming that you hate me because you're just angry the Mavs have made alot of Mav fans angry right now.

But I posted this thread in the forum for other NBA items.

What was wrong with my question?

FINtastic
11-05-2006, 05:57 PM
BSR, James is one of the finest athletes of the last 10 years. Seriously, his athleticism is second to no one. Still, with tools like that you gotta wonder why he didn't really develop into a good college player until his senior year.

nashtymavsfan13
11-05-2006, 06:17 PM
I admit--I don't know as much about basketball as most of the people who write here on a consistent basis.

I am assuming that you hate me because you're just angry the Mavs have made alot of Mav fans angry right now.

But I posted this thread in the forum for other NBA items.

What was wrong with my question?

Dude, don't worry about him, your fine. Continue posting, you posting has been fine and your threads have been fine as well. Don't listen to him, we are just all frustrated.

Big Shot Rob
11-05-2006, 08:41 PM
This has been a tough week for sports fans in Dallas. The Mavs getting off to a slow start.

And the Cowboys! I turned the station after the Spurs game ended and watched the last few minutes of the Cowboy game.

Man--I am speechless.

I don't blame people in Dallas for being pissed and frustrated.

I hate like hell to see people so upset. When do the Mavs play next and who is the opponent? For what's its worth I am pulling for yall.

nashtymavsfan13
11-05-2006, 11:15 PM
This has been a tough week for sports fans in Dallas. The Mavs getting off to a slow start.

And the Cowboys! I turned the station after the Spurs game ended and watched the last few minutes of the Cowboy game.

Man--I am speechless.

I don't blame people in Dallas for being pissed and frustrated.

I hate like hell to see people so upset. When do the Mavs play next and who is the opponent? For what's its worth I am pulling for yall.

Monday vs. Warriors.

mqywaaah
11-06-2006, 12:18 AM
Finally, the Mavs will get a W!