View Full Version : Riley on edge after debacle

kriD
11-23-2006, 11:55 AM
Riley on edge after debacle

Coach warns players: Cuts may be coming

By Ira Winderman
South Florida Sun-Sentinel
Posted November 23 2006

SAN ANTONIO As the deficit mounted, as Pat Riley found himself unable to find answers for his team's growing questions, the Heat coach allowed himself a moment of exasperation.

After calling a second-quarter timeout with his team down 18 in what would turn into a humiliating 106-86 loss to the Spurs at AT&T Center, Riley slammed his portfolio against his hip.

Had the hip proven as frail as his team, perhaps this would not have been his mess to heal. But in bypassing a hip replacement for the shot at a second consecutive title, the nightmare is becoming a daily reminder of how quickly fate can turn.

Wednesday in many ways was Riley's breaking point.

"I'm damned if I'll allow people to crap on this franchise," he said after loudly expressing similar disgust directly to his players in a postgame locker room diatribe that included threats to cut players and eat contracts. "I've been the good daddy. That's history now."

With injuries increasing and his team's spirits sagging, Riley could only grimace as the Heat fell to 4-7, with its fifth loss in its past six games.

"I'm going to have to find a solution," he said, summarily discarding injuries.

Yet five days after losing center Shaquille O'Neal to a significant knee injury, and a day after losing forward James Posey to a minor calf ailment, Riley rounded out his three-man inactive list with point guard Jason Williams.

Having delivered the rare dose of optimism with last Friday's return from offseason surgery, Williams announced before Wednesday's game that the discomfort in his right knee had returned.

Against that backdrop of doom, the Heat opened 0 for 5 from the field, fell behind 8-1, went down 21 in the second quarter, trailed 57-38 at halftime, and saw its deficit reach 29 in the fourth quarter.

That's when Riley entered the locker room and let loose with the type of vitriol he never needed last season, after coach Stan Van Gundy endured the team's 10-10 start.

"We don't even have respect for winning," power forward Udonis Haslem agreed. "It seems like we're not even putting in the effort to defend it."

Unlike in previous debacles this month, Riley exhibited little restraint with his irritation. When the second half started, Antoine Walker and Alonzo Mourning were on the bench, with Dorell Wright and Earl Barron on the court.

For Mourning, it was an out-of-sorts evening, with defensive miscues compounding his impulsive offensive decisions.

For Walker, it was practically a self-imposed exile.

After challenging Riley to give him a greater role in the O'Neal-less offense, Walker found himself on the bench 1 minute, 17 seconds into the opening period, after picking up two fouls. Another quick foul limited him to five first-half minutes. After missing 20 of his previous 29 shots entering the game, he was 0 for 4 in the first half, his only attempts of what turned into a 10-minute outing.

"It's not that we're losing," Walker said, "it's the way we're losing."

Those who got to stay and endure what has become regularly scheduled national-television degradation, exhibited their own frustration.

Guard Dwyane Wade, who opened 1 of 7 from the field, was called for a second-quarter technical foul for bouncing the ball off the basket support.

Teammate Gary Payton then got into the act by decrying the whistle on Wade. When Payton was called for a technical of his own, he turned away from Wade, toward referee Michael Smith and said, "I'm not talking to you. I'm talking to my man."

And so it went.

The Heat fell to 1-19 alltime in San Antonio, where it has not won since Dec. 23, 1996.

HexNBA
11-23-2006, 12:45 PM
Good. Screw the Heat

Big Shot Rob
11-23-2006, 01:27 PM
As much as I enjoyed watching the Spurs dismantle the Heat last night--the team that played last night was not the same team that won the NBA title.

dude1394
11-23-2006, 01:43 PM
Hope diane wade never wins another game.

mqywaaah
11-23-2006, 01:47 PM
Karma's hand is closing in on the Heat. ;)

AxdemxO
11-23-2006, 01:50 PM
As much as I enjoyed watching the Spurs dismantle the Heat last night--the team that played last night was not the same team that won the NBA title.

It was the same team, except their luck is runing ut. like i said they were never better then the Mavs they just got a few breaks. And its the breaks that in and lose games.

Big Shot Rob
11-23-2006, 01:57 PM
I won't belabor this point because some people get upset when I say this.

But in my humble opinion, the last NBA series was decided by the refs. The absolute worst example of officiating in the history of modern sports. As a Spurs fan who watched the Dallas/Heat series, I consider myself fairly objective (except for my absolute hatred towards Shaq).

Even as a Spurs fan, I spent most of the series screaming at the TV set, swearing at the refs--I cannot even imagine how it must have felt to diehard Mav fans who endured that series.

Pongo
11-23-2006, 02:27 PM
Even as a Spurs fan, I spent most of the series screaming at the TV set, swearing at the refs--I cannot even imagine how it must have felt to diehard Mav fans who endured that series.

oh... believe me, you don't want to know how that has felt.

i threw up. like... literally.
8[

fluid.forty.one
11-23-2006, 03:10 PM
F the heat.

dmavs1980
11-23-2006, 04:10 PM
Haha.I'll laugh at them go 4-78 this season.The only thing that is keeping em "alive" is Wade(who is a ballhog).

First post.Yay.

birdsanctuary
11-23-2006, 05:24 PM
I won't belabor this point because some people get upset when I say this.

But in my humble opinion, the last NBA series was decided by the refs. The absolute worst example of officiating in the history of modern sports. As a Spurs fan who watched the Dallas/Heat series, I consider myself fairly objective (except for my absolute hatred towards Shaq).

It was surreal, I remember thinking after game 2, that there was no way in hell Dallas doesn't win the series, and the 4 games of utter shock. It was one of the worst feelings I have ever felt, in sports and otherwise.

To Riley:
WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND YOU THUG PUNK!

Windmill360
11-23-2006, 05:29 PM
Wow, Riley is suprised that he has a bunch of old out of gas fools?

dude1394
11-23-2006, 05:34 PM
Wow, Riley is suprised that he has a bunch of old out of gas fools?

Hopefully the owners will fire his rear end after he starts 8-12 or so.

dmavs1980
11-23-2006, 05:55 PM
Just watch Wade and all their other high scorers get injured.Oh wait!Wade is the only "good" not great but"Good" player on that team full of people older than Stack...

nashtymavsfan13
11-23-2006, 06:11 PM

It felt horrible. I thought their was no way the Mavs would lose the series when they were winning game 3, then they couldn't close it out and then lost 3 more. Ugh :(

One of the worst feelings I've ever felt....

MavsX
11-23-2006, 10:18 PM
well if he does start cutting players...thats gonna be a lot of old guys at home without jobs...

DubOverdose
11-23-2006, 11:33 PM
Karma's hand is closing in on the Heat. ;)
Sounds like the makings of a My Name is Earl episode...

dude1394
11-24-2006, 01:36 AM
I was shocked...absolutely shocked. I felt there was no way we were not winning game 6. Still can't figure it out.

but F'em...F those heat.

Big Shot Rob
11-24-2006, 08:41 AM
I can't even begin to imagine how the Mav fans felt watching that series. I was watching the series with a bunch of Spurs fans who also felt the way that I did--that there was absolutely no way the NBA could justify the way the officiating was called in that series.

I felt horrible especially for AJ.

Everytime I think about the Heat--whenever I see them--I first think--false champions.

I know how much you guys hate the Spurs--but deep down, it had to feel just a little bit nice watching the Spurs get by nearly 30 points ahead in the game on Wednesday.

Dirkadirkastan
11-24-2006, 12:41 PM
It was the same team, except their luck is runing ut. like i said they were never better then the Mavs they just got a few breaks. And its the breaks that in and lose games.

It takes more than breaks to lose by twenty or more points, which they've done four times already.

Close games can be decided by breaks, which is how they won all the close games in the finals. In the final minute of game 3, four extra seconds ticked off the clock after a whistle was blown (during which time Wade tossed the ball in the Dallas basket). There was of course the controversial final play of game 5 and the subsequent timeout. In the final minute of game 6, Wade punched Dirk in the gut and was rewarded two free throws, then twenty seconds later Payton yanked on Terry's jersey and nothing was called.

Those, my friend, are games decided by breaks. But Miami is playing so terribly right now that the refs are unable to bail them out anymore, as much as they would like to.

dirt_dobber
11-24-2006, 05:46 PM
I don't know if Riley can be fired he has a 10% ownership stake in the franchise.
It may even be 15%, he would probably just resign and name someone else
head coach.

Then tank the season, win the NBA lotto and draft Oden. Making Stern smile!

mnmpeanut
11-24-2006, 11:51 PM

http://www.nba.com/media/heat/hpg0506_barron_050808.jpg

mqywaaah
11-25-2006, 02:12 AM

Yeah. Thanks to Carson Daily. ;)

sike
11-25-2006, 03:32 AM
Good. Screw the Heat
AMEN... rep love for hexy!

MavsX
11-25-2006, 11:45 AM
your team sucks son

kriD
11-25-2006, 12:12 PM
NOTEBOOK

Riley considers trade to land veteran guard

BY MICHAEL WALLACE
mwallace@MiamiHerald.com

For the first time this season, Heat coach Pat Riley publicly acknowledged that his search for a boost to get his struggling team going might extend beyond the team's roster.

Injuries and inconsistent play have hampered the Heat through a 4-7 start heading into Friday's game against the Orlando Magic. Along the way, Riley has changed his starting lineup, his strategy and, he said, his patience level with the team's sporadic play.

Next could be a roster change, possibly at point guard, where Jason Williams and Gary Payton are battling knee injuries and Dwyane Wade has, at times, been overextended while logging extensive minutes at both guard positions.

Asked before Friday's game if it might be time to consider a roster move to land a veteran point guard, Riley said: ``Probably. Yeah. I think, probably. You've gotta do your due diligence. And plus, I'm not going to make any kind of lateral move.

"It's gotta be somebody who can play. I can play Dwyane there. I'd rather have a 50 percent Dwyane as a point guard than somebody who can't play.''

Riley shook up the lineup Friday, starting Wade at point guard, Dorell Wright and Jason Kapono on the wings and Udonis Haslem and Alonzo Mourning in the post.

Wright and Kapono started in place of Payton and Antoine Walker, who had been mired in a 5 for 33 (15.1 percent) shooting slump over four games entering Friday.

Riley already has gotten a close-up look at two potential veteran point guards the Heat might consider pursuing.

Seattle Sonics reserve Earl Watson has been unhappy with his inconsistent playing time.

Memphis' Damon Stoudamire and Atlanta's Tyronn Lue might also be attractive options because both are playing on short, relatively inexpensive contracts and fit Riley's win-now, rebuild-later philosophy.

''We've got a long list,'' Riley said.

V2M
11-25-2006, 03:49 PM
Funny... I think the only tradeable piece he got is Wade. :)

mqywaaah
11-25-2006, 11:35 PM
You under estimated the Riley-magical touch. eeeyuck!

Thespiralgoeson
11-26-2006, 01:48 AM
Damon Stoudemire, Earl Watson, Tyron Lue.... yeah, any one of those guys will solve the Heat's problems... :rolleyes:

dude1394
11-26-2006, 04:26 PM
He needs to fire himself.