PDA

View Full Version : The annual "Phil Jackson takes a shot at the Jazz" thread

rakesh.s
11-26-2006, 01:31 AM
http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/43411/20061125/referees_in_utah_felt_dubious_to_jackson_from_the_ start/

Los Angeles Times -
Phil Jackson blamed referees Leroy Richardson, Derrick Stafford and Derek Richardson for Andrew Bynum's four point effort, a day after the Lakers' 114-108 loss in Salt Lake City.

"The big key with Drew is they wouldn't let him play," Jackson said Saturday. "They called a walk on him that wasn't a walk. He was fumbling the ball around and they were smacking him around. It was just a roughhouse game.

"It was one of those nights in Utah that you know you're going to get," Jackson said. "The league throws out some referee corps that you're dubious about to start with and, you know, the game ends up to be like that. [Utah Coach] Jerry [Sloan] plays into that well. He gets a technical and gets them intimidated and things get a little bit rough. But these [players] know that that's what it's going to be like out there and if they don't, then it's a real good learning experience."

--------------

I have to say - I love Phil Jackson. Every year, he takes a shot after they play a road game in Utah.

Is there something between Phil and Jerry Sloan that has carried over from their playing days?

chumdawg
11-26-2006, 01:59 AM
Start a blog, Phil. Get fined a few hundred grand. Then you can be like everyone else.

Drbio
11-26-2006, 03:03 AM
Or piss and whine about a great owner for years and years like a broken record all while posing as a Mavs fan while secretly beating off to Nash and Nellie in other cities.

dude1394
11-26-2006, 04:12 PM
When stern and the nba let jackson or timmah call out the referees with absolutely no recourse, it really shows some hypocrisy going on.

bernardos70
11-26-2006, 05:47 PM
Don't forget Tracy McGrady's opinion of the finals.

kg_veteran
11-26-2006, 08:11 PM
When stern and the nba let jackson or timmah call out the referees with absolutely no recourse, it really shows some hypocrisy going on.

I agree. As Hubie Brown pointed out the other night during the Spurs game, the "zero-tolerance" policy is really a "lower tolerance" policy, with much of the lower tolerance being directed toward Cuban and the Mavs.

To Avery's credit, the players seem to have adjusted and aren't complaining that much. Dirk is the only Maverick (other than Avery) with more than one technical foul this season. Amazingly, he already has four.

I haven't noticed any Mavs complaining in postgame comments, but I suspect if Dirk had made the same comments Duncan made after Friday night's game, a fine would have ensued.

Captain Disaster
11-26-2006, 10:14 PM
I think that the Mavs should just suck it all up and go out and beat the sh*t out of everyone else and win the title despite that idiot!

Drbio
11-26-2006, 10:18 PM
I think that the Mavs should just suck it all up and go out and beat the sh*t out of everyone else and win the title despite that idiot!

That would be nice.

Flacolaco
11-26-2006, 10:19 PM
Kudos to Phil for once, for speaking his mind.....did the league let him have it yet?

MavsX
11-27-2006, 12:19 AM
yeah what b.s.

Dirkadirkastan
11-27-2006, 01:27 AM
I agree. As Hubie Brown pointed out the other night during the Spurs game, the "zero-tolerance" policy is really a "lower tolerance" policy, with much of the lower tolerance being directed toward Cuban and the Mavs.

Wrong. The "zero tolerance" policy is really a "double standard" policy, with some retaining their original behavioral rights while others get completely stripped of theirs.

sike
11-27-2006, 11:05 AM
and they can.

Sturn is a scared little girl.

EricaLubarsky
11-29-2006, 08:04 PM
Phil Jackson fined for criticizing refs
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/11/29/jackson.lakers.fined.ap/index.html?eref=si_nba

NEW YORK (AP) -- Phil Jackson was fined $25,000 by the NBA on Wednesday for criticizing referees Friday night after the Lakers' 114-108 loss to Utah.

Jackson was quoted in several newspapers about the way the officials -- Derrick Stafford, Derek Richardson and Leroy Richardson -- handled second-year center Andrew Bynum.

In the second quarter, Bynum was called for traveling and moments later he was whistled for a foul when he thought he drew a charge against Matt Harpring. The 19-year-old Bynum approached the referees, but teammate Kobe Bryant intervened.

"The big key with Drew is they wouldn't let him play," Jackson said following the game.

Jackson called the matchup a "roughhouse game" and it was "one of those nights in Utah that you know you're going to get."

"The league throws out some referee corps that you're dubious about to start with and, you know, the game ends up to be like that," he said.

Each team was called for 26 fouls.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

chumdawg
11-29-2006, 11:40 PM
Make it a quarter million!

MavsX
11-30-2006, 01:42 PM
yeah really......ohhhhhhhhhhh 25 k..big deal...through some real fine numbers out you panzy stern!