PDA

View Full Version : Refs swayed by Wade?

HexNBA
12-01-2006, 03:14 PM
Pistons: Notebook
Chris McCosky / Detroit News wire services

Refs swayed by Wade?

Rasheed Wallace fired up a shot and then threw himself to the floor. Then he got up, faked a limp and did it again.

"Working on my D-Wade flop," he said, laughing.

The dead-on impersonation of some of Heat guard Dwyane Wade 's theatrics actually had the entire team laughing during Thursday's shoot-around.

But Wade's flopping, and subsequent trips to the free-throw line didn't seem funny during the Pistons' 87-85 victory Thursday night.

"You can't do nothing to D-Wade," Wallace said. "If you say 'boogety-boogety booh' to him, that's a foul. If you give him a hard look, that's a foul."

Heading into Thursday, Wade had attempted a league-high 163 free throws -- 11.6 per game. He made 10 of 13 Thursday. Chauncey Billups leads the Pistons with 111 attempts.

But the Pistons aren't the only ones who think Wade might get a little extra protection.

"He gets all the calls, that's what makes him special," Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace said.

Said SuperSonics coach Bob Hill : "It's unbelievable what he gets away with."

Wade has taken the high road, telling the Miami Herald, "It doesn't bug me as long as the calls don't stop."

But Heat coach Pat Riley said the complaints are a not-so-gentlemanly form of gamesmanship.

"I think they are just playing a scam," Riley told the Herald. "They're just whining. I think everybody's just complaining to try to think they can get an edge and hope they will influence the officials in some way.

"Dwyane deserves what he gets. There isn't anybody in the league that attacks the basket more."

The Pistons' plan entering Thursday's game was to attack Wade first.

"One of the big keys for us is Rip (Hamilton )," coach Flip Saunders said.

"He's been very aggressive and has made Dwyane guard him and he's kind of wore him down. He's actually gotten Dwyane in foul trouble in a couple of games, chasing Rip around."

Usually Lurkin
12-01-2006, 03:28 PM
"Dwyane deserves what he gets. There isn't anybody in the league that attacks the basket more."
right, which explains all the touch fouls on the perimeter. pat riley is a boob.

snoop
12-01-2006, 03:49 PM
he is the new jordan, gets calls nobody deserves

FINtastic
12-01-2006, 04:09 PM
And in other news, scientists have discovered that the world might not be flat...

Dirkadirkastan
12-01-2006, 04:16 PM
"He gets all the calls, that's what makes him special," Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace said.

What a gem from Gerald Wallace.

Flacolaco
12-01-2006, 04:19 PM
This is never going to change. The league enjoys doing things to spite people. Let's just stop talking about it.

Big Boy Laroux
12-01-2006, 04:34 PM
ha ha, that's a great quote from gerald wallace.

wade's flopping really is comical. and not just because he gets calls. he had the #1 play in some top 10 thing for last week. the play was him driving and hitting a reverse layup. no big deal. except he fell, and then slid like 20 feet on the floor. thank god there was no foul call. and you know why there wasn't? i replayed it a few times. he wasn't touched by ANYONE. AND he landed on his feet after the layup! then he just "fell". ridiculous.

V2M
12-01-2006, 04:49 PM
he is the new jordan, gets calls nobody deserves

Please don't insult Jordan by putting him in the same sentence as Wade. Jordan did get a few respect calls but more than 90% of 'em were genuine. Also I don't remember Jordan ever trying to fall down without contact... which Wade does at least 5 or 6 times a game!

bernardos70
12-01-2006, 04:59 PM
New sig time. Thanks, Gerald Wallace

GP
12-01-2006, 05:04 PM
ha ha, that's a great quote from gerald wallace.

wade's flopping really is comical. and not just because he gets calls. he had the #1 play in some top 10 thing for last week. the play was him driving and hitting a reverse layup. no big deal. except he fell, and then slid like 20 feet on the floor. thank god there was no foul call. and you know why there wasn't? i replayed it a few times. he wasn't touched by ANYONE. AND he landed on his feet after the layup! then he just "fell". ridiculous.

I always liked Dewayne Wade, especially when he was in college. Right now, his theatrics just make the Heat unwatchable for me. Really, I can hardly stand to watch any NBA game right now. I think Wade gets some sort of perverse satisfaction of "gaming" the officials and the opposing players. He also craves the spotlight and attention from the media and the fans and will do anything to get it. I think he might have some sort of personality disorder.

Five-ofan
12-01-2006, 05:17 PM
Please don't insult Jordan by putting him in the same sentence as Wade. Jordan did get a few respect calls but more than 90% of 'em were genuine. Also I don't remember Jordan ever trying to fall down without contact... which Wade does at least 5 or 6 times a game!
Jordan didnt get quite the calls wade is right now but jordan did get way more calls than you seem to remember.

hey BBL, did it look something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lX_qMS9bRY

that play is just hilarious now that im over it. He jumps, lands with no contact fallls and then pushes off with his feet so he will slide backwards and gets a call. Seriously you would fail an acting class for overacting if you did all this crap...

EricaLubarsky
12-01-2006, 05:25 PM
that wasnt the most obvious botch job. There was also that Daniels one, and the one where he jumped out of bounds and acted like he was pushed even though you could see the fans through about a foot of space between him and the next player

Flacolaco
12-01-2006, 05:27 PM
or the classic one where he rams into Dirk who is just standing there with his arms down at his sides and it's Dirks fault. that one's my favorite.

Five-ofan
12-01-2006, 05:41 PM
or the classic one where he rams into Dirk who is just standing there with his arms down at his sides and it's Dirks fault. that one's my favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk&mode=related&search= oh you mean that?

V2M
12-01-2006, 05:58 PM
Jordan didnt get quite the calls wade is right now but jordan did get way more calls than you seem to remember.

Probably... I just remember Jordan getting some calls of doubtful nature but I don't recall seeing him fall down without contact like Wade does multiple times every game...

untitled
12-01-2006, 06:31 PM
that wasnt the most obvious botch job. There was also that Daniels one, and the one where he jumped out of bounds and acted like he was pushed even though you could see the fans through about a foot of space between him and the next player
That and the Terry one above are the two that stick out in my mind. By that time (Game 6), I was paying close attention to contact on Wade and couldn't believe what I was (or wasn't) seeing on all those "fouls". The Dirk foul doesn't seem as bad to me b/c he was turning, not standing still when Wade ran into him- however, the kicker is that Wade extends his arm so that contact may not have occured otherwise.

Captain Disaster
12-01-2006, 06:36 PM
Apparently, the players and coaches around the league all know that the Mavs got robbed!

purplefrog
12-01-2006, 06:49 PM
When you play against Wade you just gotta figure he is going to get somewhere in the vicinity of 15 fts/game. The great news is that despite the help he gets from the refs, Miami is very beatable. What are they now, 6-9? Oh, yeah and I had great pleasure in seeing Diane miss the last second shot against Detroit last night that would have tied the game. Made my day.

FINtastic
12-01-2006, 06:53 PM
What are they now, 6-9?

That's still good enough for the 7th seed right now. Man the east sucks.

WurzburgBorn
12-01-2006, 07:04 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI...elated&search= oh you mean that?

hey BBL, did it look something like this. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6lX_qMS9bRY

Just watched both those videos.
And I tried really hard to block that stuff out.
I'm going to go throw up now.

TheBlueVan
12-01-2006, 08:14 PM
i am so glad that wade signed the extension w/ the heat. he deserves to be chained to that aging dinosaur for the rest of his career.

nashtymavsfan13
12-01-2006, 08:35 PM
Just watched both those videos.
And I tried really hard to block that stuff out.
I'm going to go throw up now.

Me too, it's truly pathetic how he gets calls like that. Players that flop over everything just make me sick now. Players are even doing it now in high school basketball! They see players like Wade do it, and do the same thing. It's sickening. I hate Wade, and I hate the refs for giving in to it.

Nice quote by Gerald Wallace, and it looks like the whole league is starting to notice this about him.

Tokey41
12-01-2006, 09:30 PM
This is just me... but I think replacing those dinosaur referees might help. Why are most of those refs old men anyway? Last time I checked your eyesight gets worse with age. Just another reason to hate the elderly I guess.

Anyway we have some great quotes regarding Wade there, the list of complaints is building.

scorched03
12-01-2006, 09:32 PM
man. freaking everywhere i look. world cup floppers (c ronaldo), nba (divac, wade, ginobli). what the heck. since when did all these grown STRONG athletes fall/trip/flail helplessly over some small indiscenable bump.

all this is beyond me.
and while on this, elbows by shaq didnt draw any fouls.

no excuses in football. ask like a wuss and someone like roy williams take you out cuz hitting was allowed. although seahawks wish they could have taken out a ref in the super bowl (chop block off an interception by hasselback is the dumbest call ever)

My solution: Anti Foul Rule. If said player is retarded and thinks he is an actor rather than a world class athlete, other team gets a free throw and the ball. This is verified by the crowd on instant reply to show how big of a loser the player is by holding flop scorecards of 1 to 10.

Then: No blood no foul. This only takes effect in final 2 minutes of every game and officials must leave the court. Players play on, but stop only when blood is drawn by opponent which eliminates worthless potential game changing calls in final 2 minutes. Penalty for official remaining in the game is to eat his/her whistle and tar and feather himself. Exception: Ejection for touching another man's jewels ala Reggie Evans as this violates every Man Law possible (althought that Brokeback looking cowboy might not agree)

Then: ESPN live poll on refs phrased as "Is this _________'s last game as a Ref?"
---------------------
Anti Foul Rule and no blood no foul can be taken into football and soccer also to eliminate refs ejecting players randomly, or other game changing calls in moments such as the Super Bowl or World Cup.

seriously. if everyone in the arena held up flop scorecards, you think dwade, ginobli would dare flop

Flacolaco
12-01-2006, 11:49 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5y8nI1PPYOk&mode=related&search= oh you mean that?

yes.

yes, this is the one.

I watched this over and over again for 2 weeks after the finals.

this is one of the funniest calls in the history of sports.

She_Growls
12-02-2006, 12:24 AM
Apparently, the players and coaches around the league all know that the Mavs got robbed!

BINGO!!! Enough said....

V2M
12-02-2006, 12:32 AM
But Heat coach Pat Riley said the complaints are a not-so-gentlemanly form of gamesmanship.

"I think they are just playing a scam," Riley told the Herald. "They're just whining. I think everybody's just complaining to try to think they can get an edge and hope they will influence the officials in some way.

Sure... after watching the finals, the coaches & players of the entire league have come together to scheme up a plan to thwart the genius that is DWade?!

nashtymavsfan13
12-02-2006, 03:20 AM
Here he's not even touched: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fydhtOSlfW0&mode=related&search=

And how the hell is this not a charge? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PuukM40T974&mode=related&search=

mqywaaah
12-02-2006, 03:37 AM
Rasheed Wallace fired up a shot and then threw himself to the floor. Then he got up, faked a limp and did it again.

"Working on my D-Wade flop," he said, laughing.

Priceless. :D One of the reasons why I like that man, cracks me up often. :D

Big Boy Laroux
12-02-2006, 11:27 AM

wow, honestly, i had blocked that specific play from my memory... that makes me want to vomit.

dude1394
12-02-2006, 12:11 PM
wow, honestly, i had blocked that specific play from my memory... that makes me want to vomit.

oh my god...what a bitch flopper.

Flacolaco
12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
They can't change the past obviously, but geez....doesnt someone owe the mavs and apology or something?

why are we still looking at these? this is driving me crazy all over again.

disgusting.

sike
12-02-2006, 11:42 PM
"He gets all the calls, that's what makes him special," Bobcats forward Gerald Wallace said."
dang...its nice to see that other people are saying this

bernardos70
12-03-2006, 01:59 AM
"My solution: Anti Foul Rule. If said player is retarded and thinks he is an actor rather than a world class athlete, other team gets a free throw and the ball. This is verified by the crowd on instant reply to show how big of a loser the player is by holding flop scorecards of 1 to 10."

This is already done in soccer. If the ref believes the player flopped to get a call, then he gets a technical foul called and usually a yellow card.

The flopcards would be the icing on the cake.

mkat
12-03-2006, 02:30 AM
"My solution: Anti Foul Rule. If said player is retarded and thinks he is an actor rather than a world class athlete, other team gets a free throw and the ball. This is verified by the crowd on instant reply to show how big of a loser the player is by holding flop scorecards of 1 to 10."

This is already done in soccer. If the ref believes the player flopped to get a call, then he gets a technical foul called and usually a yellow card.

The flopcards would be the icing on the cake.

ginobli would never be able to play.

EricaLubarsky
12-03-2006, 02:59 AM
ginobli would never be able to play.
is that a bad thing?

Flacolaco
12-03-2006, 03:41 AM
is that a bad thing?

I contacted "The Academy" and they said yes it is a bad thing; he will never win an Oscar for his performances if he isn't allowed to play anymore

HexNBA
12-08-2006, 01:50 PM
From a Chris Sheridan chat on ESPN (http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=13808)

Steve (Richmond, VA): So, is it now okay for star players to blatantly foul guys at the end of close games, like Wade did last night, or is it only that way when Bob Delaney and Luis Grillo are blowing (or not) the whistles?

SportsNation Chris Sheridan: (1:38 PM ET ) The NBA has a serious problem brewing with the way Dwyane Wade is being judged by a different set of rules. Other players really, really resent it, and it detracts from Wade's aura to have him be a favored-status player whose stats are padded by free throws off phantom fouls. I was at a Heat-Grizzlies game last weekend in Memphis when D-Wade got two gift FT's off a blatantly late whistle, and Dahntay Jones _ the player whistled for the foul _ was so incenced he showed up the referee by waving his arms at him dismissively _ exactly the kind of gesture that's supposed to earn you a technical foul this year. But the refs wouldn't blow the tech on Dahntay, apparently because they were so ashamed of the call.

HexNBA
12-08-2006, 01:51 PM
From the Sports Guy's latest NFL poll (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/061208)

Anyway, I thought Drew Brees should have been named Sports Illustratred's Sportsman of the Year and would have been more upset until I realized that it's not 1977 and SI's opinion doesn't matter that much anymore. Brees exemplified everything you'd ever want from a sportsman in a given year: He took an enormous gamble by signing with the Saints last spring when they were in shambles; he fought back from a serious injury and ended up playing his position about as well as it could be played; he gave himself to a wounded city, played a huge role in its ongoing recovery process and turned a below-average team into a playoff contender; and his consistency from week to week was remarkable. With the possible exception of Roger Federer, was there a more memorable, inspirational, talented and influential sportsman in 2006 than Drew Brees? I say no. Of course, Dwayne Wade won the honor. And you know what? It was a gutsy choice by the new editor of Sports Illustratred, Mr. Bennett Salvatore.

scorched03
12-08-2006, 10:37 PM
its really a shame. with his jumper, d and seemingly all around ability... he doesnt need to flop.

vlade, the smoker with 1 inch vert, yes i can see flops. dwade - no. for goodness sake's use your god given physical abilties.

Drbio
12-08-2006, 11:10 PM
I'm watching Denver-Miami right now and the Wade bias seems worse than the Finals. It's sickening.

scorched03
12-12-2006, 11:47 PM
aww. dwade is soooo tough.

Wisdom Teeth Removal To Sideline Wade
12th December, 2006 - 5:30 pm
SI.com -
The removal of two wisdom teeth will force Dwyane Wade out of Miami's lineup on Wednesday versus Phoenix.

Wade had the procedure done on Tuesday.

"Tooth problems can bring a grown man to his knees," Wade said after scoring 37 points to lead Miami to a 99-77 win over the Toronto Raptors on Monday night. [READ]