PDA

View Full Version : Iverson on way out of Philly

kriD
12-08-2006, 07:37 AM
BAD ANSWER

IVERSON ON WAY OUT OF PHILLY

[By Peter Vecsey / New York Post]

December 8, 2006 -- THE Allen Iverson Period in Philadelphia is rapidly dragging to an undignified conclusion.

According to two agents whose clients play for the 76ers, Iverson went to team president Billy King this past Tuesday and demanded to be traded, something he professed repeatedly over the years he'd never do.

According to two general managers King contacted yesterday, the 76ers are aggressively attempting to accommodate their forlorn franchise player, whose prohibitive salary (currently $17.1 million with $19M and $20.8M remaining) makes him a difficult sell despite a 31-point average - at least if the Sixers hope to harvest relatively equal value.

At the same time, emphasized one of those GMs: "A.I. is not the only player Billy is looking to move. His second breath is about Chris Webber." And that's not where the conversation stops.

Everybody is gladly available. Andre Iguodala or Sam Dalembert may have to be surrendered in order to move Webber ($20.7M/22.3M next season) or A.I. "But the big push is on to deal Iverson."

That's not solely because he wants out, but because his attitude leaves management no other option. If he were going along with the program, the 76ers would hide and wait for the right opening.

The night after filing for divorce, Iverson essentially put his effort on cruise control in Chicago as the Bulls exterminated the 76ers, 121-94, vaulting to a 39-16 first-quarter spread and winning the subsequent three.

Imagine how competitive it would've been had the Sixers not held a team meeting that afternoon.

A convulsive back was cited as the explanation for Iverson's 25-point (7-17) seven-assist, seven-turnover, defensively-felonious performance. Don't be foolish enough to fall for it. Or Maurice Cheeks' counterfeit contention the 76ers' spirit is "still there," players "still are trying" and "no one has given up."

Iverson, indeed, gave up. "If you know your leader doesn't care, how are we supposed to play with the guy?" steamed a teammate to his agent.

According to the same agent, Iverson told King he likes Cheeks as a person "but not as a coach." In other words, "either he goes or I go."

Despite numerous people in Philadelphia and Portland (where Cheeks coached for three seasons and 55 games) believing Maurice is overmatched on the sidelines, he has the full support of Chairman Ed Snider and King.

As yet another GM points out: "The [76ers] didn't make the playoffs last year and didn't do anything of consequence during the offseason to improve. Regardless of what you may think of Cheeks' coaching acumen, how can be his fault?"

Iverson may not blame Cheeks for the 76ers' worst record in the Atlantic Division, but there's no question they've got differences that aren't going away. One of them pertains to Iverson's lack of attention to detail, lack of respect for authority and unwillingness to practice hard.

Following a conflict at workout last week, Iverson stormed out of the building. That evening he failed to show for a mandatory team function for corporate sponsors and prime season ticket holders.

The announced reason was "after-effects of dental surgery." One of the aforementioned agents contends Iverson told teammates earlier in the day he planned to blow off the event and was simply going to take the fine. For whatever it's worth, Iverson apologized to everyone he stiffed.

Last but certainly not least, it's time to try to figure out Iverson's destination. That is, if it's humanely possible to re-route him. I have to believe there are plenty of teams that would take the plunge because they're desperate for help in the stands, as well as the standings . . . as long as the cost isn't excessive. All it takes is one.

Eliminate the Knicks from the git-go; there's not a chowder clam's chance of the 76ers taking Stephon Marbury or Steve Francis off Isiah Thomas' Dead Sea payroll.

Why wouldn't the staggering Celtics still be interested? The 76ers can do a lot worse than accept several of their young players along with, say, chronically injured Theo Ratliff, who would be allowed to retire gracefully.

The Hawks, too, possess a surplus of young talent at several positions, though the startling play of Tyronn Lue is packing them in (four sellouts in eight home games) so far.

Denver's George Karl expressed interest at one point last season. Andre Miller, Linas Kleiza and Joe Smith might pique the 76ers' interest.

Or how great would it be to see Iverson and Kevin Garnett paired in Minnesota, giving them the opportunity to win their first championship in concert. That way the 76ers could acquire Randy Foye, the object of their affections last June (in Celtics trade talk) and maybe Mike James. That way Minnesota could dump a particularly burdensome contract or two, either Marko Jaric or Troy Hudson.

The Pacers, too, are looking to do something big, reveals a league source. Larry Bird is unhappy with his team's chemistry, meaning Stephen Jackson and Jamaal Tinsley aren't fitting into Rick Carlisle's system. Another $4M-to-$5M piece would have to be included.

MavsX
12-08-2006, 07:54 AM
interesting...

Dirkadirkastan
12-08-2006, 12:25 PM
FOX should make a sitcom out of this.

sike
12-08-2006, 12:54 PM
he is still one of the greatest individual players of the previous generation

Flip41
12-08-2006, 12:56 PM
The mavs should really consider trading for Iverson. I think that they can do one this trade without giving up youth. The mavs have the players and expirings to get this done. Plus if Dirk goes down Iverson could more than pick up the slack. A couple of years or a year ago Iverson was getting alot of assists per game so he can distribute the ball. His attitude is the only thing that worries me.

I am really having a problem liking this team right now. I do not know what it is. It might be Anthony Johnson, who I do not think is very good. It might be that Dirk is not really taking games over like last year. This might be by design and if it is, it is not good. Dirk is turning into KG. He is passing more than he needs to. I am not a Dirk groupie or anything like that, he is just the best player on this team. He needs to take over games like everyother star in this league except for KG, who defers to whoever. If this is what needs to be expected from Dirk (deferring) then why not upgrade the talent around him.

Jason Terry has not been the player of last year through these first 19 games. It seems he is heading for a down year. This is not something that the Mavs need as the window of opportunity is only so big. I do not know how to fix this as I am not a basketball genious.

That is all I got for now.

Windmill360
12-08-2006, 01:00 PM
uh. no hes not coming here. its too late for that. maybe in a couple of years.

Windmill360
12-08-2006, 01:02 PM
The Knicks would be stupid enough to pick him up though.

Flacolaco
12-08-2006, 01:21 PM
lol... yeah the Knicks.

Keep him in the Eastern conference for the love of god....but not the heat. or the Pistons.

I guess I'm not going to be happy with wherever he goes...

sike
12-08-2006, 01:28 PM
I actually like AI...from a distance

Nash13
12-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Anybody that wants to say 'Hello' to Iverson wants to say 'Goodbye' to Devin.

So i say: 'Hello'.

Flip41
12-08-2006, 01:44 PM
I think I might leaning to the hello side too.

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 02:01 PM
I just can't see A.I. fitting in here, How many shots does he throw up per game?
151-366 in 15 games so far this season. Dirk 150-305 in 19 games this season. He's already shot 61 more times with only one more going in, and he's played 4 fewer games.
How many shots will AI take away from Dirk? How many times will he throw up 30-40 shots a game to push up his stats? If AI came out and said, "I want to go to Dallas and do whatever it takes to get a ring" then maybe, but until then no thanks.

Darth Ape
12-08-2006, 02:02 PM
The rumor is that Denver is interested. They'd probably be able to get him for pennies on the dollar.. Kenyon Martin + Joe Smith? Something like that.

If Denver gets him, it makes the Western Conference that much tougher to get through.

#1MavsFan
12-08-2006, 02:03 PM
I'd do it for a future 1rst, stack and filler but thats about it. However theres no way Philly does that. AI is one of the most underrated players in the league but unfortunately he wouldn't fit in with the mavs. He can score better than anyone in the league period.

#1MavsFan
12-08-2006, 02:06 PM
The rumor is that Denver is interested. They'd probably be able to get him for pennies on the dollar.. Kenyon Martin + Joe Smith? Something like that.

If Denver gets him, it makes the Western Conference that much tougher to get through.
If Denver gets him than another contender is born in the west. Melo and AI would make a sick combo and I actually think it could work quite well for them. I hope it doesn't happen and I doubt Philly trades away a superstar for Kmart and Joe Smith.

Flip41
12-08-2006, 02:07 PM
Kmart + Joe Smith? That would be the end of the GM in Philly. Two knee problem guys on one team. The people of that city would riot.

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 02:17 PM
He can score better than anyone in the league period.

Iverson career shooting 6841 made - 16253 attempts .421 percentage
Dirk 4701-10072 .467
Kobe 6007-13285 .452
Jet 3349-7606 .440

Better than anyone... Beg to differ.

sike
12-08-2006, 02:26 PM
well, rmacomic, do you think JT is a better scorer than AI?

Flip41
12-08-2006, 02:29 PM
You might beg to differ but he also gets to the line frequently. I'm not going to look up the stats or anything but I just know he gets to the line. That is something the maves have been lacking.

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 02:31 PM
If you count the stats yes, and last years playoffs he was clutch.
Last years playoffs AI was...oh yeah, on vacation.
AI was clutch 2001, what 5 years ago?

Flip41
12-08-2006, 02:34 PM
I didn't say clutch, I said that he gets to the line. He has something called ref-respect. That is something that we all know about.

sike
12-08-2006, 02:37 PM
stats...especially shooting stats are not really the best way to judge the greatness of a scorer.

AI has faced double and triple teams for his career...how many of those has JT faced?

Lets be honest...AI is one of the 50 greatest players of all time. JT isn't even an all star

Flip41
12-08-2006, 02:41 PM
stats...especially shooting stats are not really the best way to judge the greatness of a scorer.

AI has faced double and triple teams for his career...how many of those has JT faced?

Lets be honest...AI is one of the 50 greatest players of all time. JT isn't even an all star

Amen

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 02:43 PM

"of all time", doesn't mean right now. Jordan is the greatest of all time, but not the greatest right now.

I haven't seen AI do anything impresive since 01. Unless you count padding stats.
I like stats.;)

Flip41
12-08-2006, 02:48 PM
Iverson has not been given alot to work with in Philly. He hasn't ever had a Robin. Kind of like Dirk who hasn't foud a Robin yet either. Padding stats is not what I would call it. He is just trying to win on a crap team. Season after season.

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 02:57 PM
If AI came here, it could work, I just think his window has closed. But hey the leauge loves nothing more than clearing the path of aging stars to the finals, SuperLakers, last years Heat.

Flip41
12-08-2006, 03:00 PM
the dude is still quick and can get around pretty much anybody. Plus yeah the NBA does love that kind of thing. And AI can get to the line(did I say that already).

atrewsfan
12-08-2006, 03:13 PM
Dallas Trade Breakdown

Outgoing
Jerry Stackhouse
6-6 SG from North Carolina
13.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 27.7 minutes

Jason Terry
6-2 PG from Arizona
17.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 3.8 apg in 35.0 minutes

Incoming
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
33.0 ppg, 3.2 rpg, 7.4 apg in 43.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: +2.9 ppg, -1.6 rpg, and +0.7 apg.

Philadelphia Trade Breakdown

Outgoing
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown

Incoming

Jerry Stackhouse
6-6 SG from North Carolina
13.0 ppg, 2.8 rpg, 2.9 apg in 27.7 minutes

Jason Terry
6-2 PG from Arizona
17.1 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 3.8 apg in 35.0 minutes
Change in team outlook: -2.9 ppg, +1.6 rpg, and -0.7 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Dallas and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Philadelphia had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the CBA).

Caveat: Terry was recently signed to a contract and as a result he cannot be traded until Dec. 15, 2006.

Terry could step in for Ollie at PG while Stackhouse could start at SG in place of Iverson or be the 6th man behind SF Iguodala and SG Green/Carney, whichever of the two would start at SG.

Windmill360
12-08-2006, 03:19 PM
It won't happen. They aren't going to trade a bunch of guys who have been on this team for so long and brougt us to the Finals last year. It would be an injustice to those guys.

Flip41
12-08-2006, 03:26 PM
I don't think they would trade Terry. As much as Harris has been in and out of the Avery doghouse he might be the one to go if such a deal were to happen.

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 03:34 PM
Anyone watching Rome is Burning?
He's going to discuss AI in a few minutes.

Flip41
12-08-2006, 03:37 PM
Let us know what the summary is.

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 03:38 PM
Ok
Rome basicly said, "Get him ot of Philly"
"he's not gonna kill himself to play for a bad team and a coach he doesn't respect"
"He will burn the place down"? not really sure what that means
and "He's going to get what he wants one way or another, he's AI"

AxdemxO
12-08-2006, 04:53 PM
If you count the stats yes, and last years playoffs he was clutch.
Last years playoffs AI was...oh yeah, on vacation.
AI was clutch 2001, what 5 years ago?

Jet has some aspects of Iverson's game. But last eyar Jet had a team with him. Iversn has neevr really had that and when he did that one year they made it to the finals. The guy avarages almost 9 assists and i think he wou;ld not take anything awaya from Dirk...i think ti would be a good fit.

AxdemxO
12-08-2006, 05:00 PM
"of all time", doesn't mean right now. Jordan is the greatest of all time, but not the greatest right now.

I haven't seen AI do anything impresive since 01. Unless you count padding stats.
I like stats.;)

IMO ( gettin reayd for madd hate) Jordan is not the greatest of all time. He one of the greatest but I personally cant just put him on top. He Played with Pippen, Rodman, Kukoc andf many others that just perfectly fit into that team especially Pippen. Without Pippen Jordan would have been another Garnett, but now tht seems to be LeBrons destiny.

some-dude
12-08-2006, 05:02 PM
Devin Harris
Jerry Stackhouse
1st Round Pick

for

Allen Iverson

Iverson - Terry - Howard - Dirk - Dampier = Instant Title Favorites.

AxdemxO
12-08-2006, 05:04 PM
Devin Harris
Jerry Stackhouse
1st Round Pick

for

Allen Iverson

I like it

rmacomic
12-08-2006, 05:22 PM
Devin Harris
Jerry Stackhouse
1st Round Pick
for Allen Iverson

Yeah that's better.
I like Harris, but he is still a liability.
I have NEVER liked Stack.
and 1st Round Pick is on my fantasy team and I think he would get more minutes in Philly.

MavKikiNYC
12-08-2006, 06:40 PM
Go to hell, you little about-to-be-washed-up runt.
Amidst Trade Rumors, Iverson Sent Home
By DAN GELSTON
AP Sports Writer
http://hosted.ap.org/photos/C/CXA10212070242-small.jpg (http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/photos/C/CXA10212070242.html?SITE=NYNYD&SECTION=BASKETBALL&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT)
AP Photo/Nam Y. Huh

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Allen Iverson's tumultuous career in Philadelphia took another turn Friday when the former NBA MVP hinted that a trade may be best after the 76ers sent him home and ruled him out of their next two games.

With his name swirling in heavy trade rumors, Iverson didn't play Friday against Washington, and 76ers president Billy King said the All-Star would not play on Saturday.

King would not say before the Sixers' game against the Wizards if Iverson had asked for a trade or if he was actively trying to trade Philadelphia's franchise player.

Iverson released a statement through his agent, Leon Rose, where he acknowledged he may have played his last game for the Sixers.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," he said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."

The Sixers said earlier in the day that Iverson, who leads the league with 31.7 points per game, was scratched because of back spasms, but he was listed simply as "out" on the game notes. King said it was not a suspension and Iverson's future would be re-evaluated after Saturday night's game at Orlando.

"We made the decision he will not be with us tonight or tomorrow because he couldn't practice yesterday or today," King said.

Coach Maurice Cheeks said Friday it was his decision to send Iverson home.

"Allen was not able to practice yesterday because of the back and today Mo made a decision not to play him tonight or tomorrow," King said. "We told him to just take the night off and tomorrow."

Iverson said he was told not to participate in shootaround, even though he said he could play. Iverson said after watching shootaround from the sideline, he was told not to come to the arena.

"In my entire career, even the doctors haven't been able to tell me not to play," Iverson said. "I've played through injury and illness. I think everyone knows how much I love being out on the court, competing and winning. That's why it was so disheartening to be told that I couldn't play, knowing that I was ready. It hurt even more to be told not to come at all."

Iverson left Wednesday night's blowout loss at Chicago in the second half complaining of the spasms and did not practice Thursday. The Sixers 5-12, have lost five straight and 12 of 14 overall entering Friday's game.

"This season has been very frustrating for everyone," Iverson said. "We've lost 12 of 14 games and nothing seems to be working. I have expressed my frustration to my teammates, however, I have continued to give 100 percent night in and night out. Apparently, it hasn't been enough to help our team win."

Iverson left a practice last week reportedly after a disagreement with Cheeks and skipped a team function for season-ticket holders later that night. He apologized and was fined by the organization.
"It happens," Cheeks said. "Sometimes coaches and players disagree."

Kevin Ollie started against the Wizards. Cheeks said he expected Iverson to finish the season in Philadelphia.

Iverson, the No. 1 pick in the 1996 draft and a seven-time All-Star, has won four scoring titles, two All-Star game MVPs and the MVP in 2001 after taking the Sixers to the NBA finals.

With his rants about practice, his run-ins with the law and former coach Larry Brown, and a failed rap career, Iverson was often a magnet for trouble away from the court.

Iverson and Brown formed a turbulent combination during the six seasons they spent together in Philly. Brown criticized Iverson for taking too many shots and accused him of being selfish at times.

Iverson often arrived late for practice or missed them entirely for various reasons. In one infamous blowup at the end of the 2002 season, he repeated "talking about practice" nearly 20 times during a rambling monologue. He now pokes fun at the memorable meltdown.

Brown and Iverson eventually reconciled and Brown named his former guard co-captain of the 2004 United States Olympic men's basketball team.

"I appreciate that in my 11 years in Philadelphia, the fans have always stood by me, supported me, and gone to bat for me," Iverson said.

birdsanctuary
12-08-2006, 07:29 PM
Let me just say that there is no way in hell the Mavericks win a championship without trading for a player of Allen Iverson's caliber.

Cuban has pissed off Stern so much, and whether or not you want to believe it the NBA front office infuences the results of playoff games in favor of marketable players. There isnt a single one among us who would deny that the superduperstars get more calls. Wade, Shaq, Kobe, Jordan, Bird, Magic... I'm sure there are more I could mention. Bottom line, unless the NBA front office "Chancellor Stern" is forced into accepting the Mavericks as the more marketable team over the team they are playing ie. Suns, Heat, Lebrons, then the Mavericks have no, ZERO chance of advancing to the Larry O'Brien.

Dwane Wade was the most marketable NBA player as of December of 2005 and the Heat went on to win the championship down 2 games to zero, winning 4 in a row. Thuggery and the disappearance of Maverick defense was partially to blame, but one game changes everything, and game 5 was pretty damn suspect. Did the NBA make a hell of a lot of money off the Heat winning, hell yes!
CLICK HERE TO SEE HOW MUCH (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26121)

As of December 2005 Iverson was 5th in jersey sales. You you really think it was a coincidence that the Champion Heat have the #1 and #5 player? Nobody's getting Lebron or Kobe...

1. Dwyane Wade
2. LeBron James
3. Kobe Bryant
4. Allen Iverson
5. Shaquille O'Neal

Superduper stars win championships, and the Mavs already have a strike against them with the Stern-Cuban feud. This isn't my idea, read below, and it's research based.
SUPERDUPERSTAR THEORY (http://www.dallas-mavs.com/vb/showthread.php?t=26500)

KFunk
12-08-2006, 08:26 PM
apparently he wants to go play with KG in Minny

u2sarajevo
12-08-2006, 08:54 PM
Ahhhhh yeahhhhh.... the marketable player=championship theory...

Windmill360
12-08-2006, 08:58 PM
The Mike James would never let that happen. Heaven forbid he upsets the Mike James. An all-star on the team other than The Mike James? Cmon. The Mike James does not believe what he's hearing.

Drbio
12-08-2006, 10:15 PM
Ahhhhh yeahhhhh.... the marketable player=championship theory...

This post saved someone from a scathing rant......

Five-ofan
12-08-2006, 11:20 PM
Iverson career shooting 6841 made - 16253 attempts .421 percentage
Dirk 4701-10072 .467
Kobe 6007-13285 .452
Jet 3349-7606 .440

Better than anyone... Beg to differ.
So eric dampier is clearly the best scorer in the nba right now....

You might want to look at jets numbers before he came to dallas before you include him in that list. I like AI alot. Would like him here depending on the cost. If its some combo of jet and stack and a pick im all over it. If we are gonna roll with a combo guard i prefer Ai to jet plus jets contract is just ugly.

Flip41
12-08-2006, 11:34 PM
According to Yahoo sports it's between boston and dallas.

V2M
12-08-2006, 11:34 PM
Mavs, C's eye A.I.
By Adrian Wojnarowski, Yahoo! Sports
December 8, 2006

Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports
The Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics have emerged as the leaders to trade for disgruntled Philadelphia 76ers star Allen Iverson, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

According to sources, 76ers general manager Billy King has targeted Mavericks guard Devin Harris – a favorite of the executive's going back to Harris' college days at Wisconsin – as a primary piece to a potential package with Dallas.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wouldn't deny that he's engaged in trying to make a deal for Iverson but wrote in an email to Yahoo! Sports on Friday night, "We wouldn't trade Devin."

King has been telling teams that he wants a combination of expiring contracts, young players and draft picks for Iverson. Sixers owner, Ed Snider, flatly said Friday night: "We'll trade him."

Several teams in the past few days have expressed interest in the 2001 NBA MVP and four-time league scoring champion, including the Denver Nuggets – who like Boston – discussed those trade possibilities with the 76ers before last June's NBA draft.

The Celtics have a deep roster of young players, including forward Al Jefferson and guards Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair and Rajon Rondo, to send to Philadelphia. Also, they have the weighty veteran contract of Theo Ratliff to help balance Iverson's contract in a deal.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, with a possible package of Ricky Davis and rookie guard Randy Foye out of Villanova, is also believed to be a factor.

What had long been a tumultuous relationship between Iverson and the 76ers reached a breaking point this week.

As the New York Post initially reported on Friday, Iverson asked King for a trade on Tuesday and the G.M. soon thereafter started exploring possible deals around the league. After missing practice on Thursday and a shootaround on Friday with apparent back spasms, Iverson said he was well enough to play in Philadelphia's game against Washington on Friday night.

However, Iverson said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks told him to stay away from the Wachovia Center and informed Iverson that he wouldn't be traveling to Orlando for a Saturday meeting with the Magic.

After getting banished for two games, Iverson issued a statement through his agent Leon Rose that sounded like he was resigned to the inevitability of a trade. More and more, it sounds like his 11-year career in Philadelphia is coming to a close.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," Iverson said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."

AxdemxO
12-08-2006, 11:38 PM
Mavs, C's eye A.I.
December 8, 2006

Adrian Wojnarowski
Yahoo! Sports
The Dallas Mavericks and Boston Celtics have emerged as the leaders to trade for disgruntled Philadelphia 76ers star Allen Iverson, league executives told Yahoo! Sports on Friday night.

According to sources, 76ers general manager Billy King has targeted Mavericks guard Devin Harris – a favorite of the executive's going back to Harris' college days at Wisconsin – as a primary piece to a potential package with Dallas.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban wouldn't deny that he's engaged in trying to make a deal for Iverson but wrote in an email to Yahoo! Sports on Friday night, "We wouldn't trade Devin."

King has been telling teams that he wants a combination of expiring contracts, young players and draft picks for Iverson. Sixers owner, Ed Snider, flatly said Friday night: "We'll trade him."

Several teams in the past few days have expressed interest in the 2001 NBA MVP and four-time league scoring champion, including the Denver Nuggets – who like Boston – discussed those trade possibilities with the 76ers before last June's NBA draft.

The Celtics have a deep roster of young players, including forward Al Jefferson and guards Delonte West, Sebastian Telfair and Rajon Rondo, to send to Philadelphia. Also, they have the weighty veteran contract of Theo Ratliff to help balance Iverson's contract in a deal.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, with a possible package of Ricky Davis and rookie guard Randy Foye out of Villanova, is also believed to be a factor.

What had long been a tumultuous relationship between Iverson and the 76ers reached a breaking point this week.

As the New York Post initially reported on Friday, Iverson asked King for a trade on Tuesday and the G.M. soon thereafter started exploring possible deals around the league. After missing practice on Thursday and a shootaround on Friday with apparent back spasms, Iverson said he was well enough to play in Philadelphia's game against Washington on Friday night.

However, Iverson said 76ers coach Maurice Cheeks told him to stay away from the Wachovia Center and informed Iverson that he wouldn't be traveling to Orlando for a Saturday meeting with the Magic.

After getting banished for two games, Iverson issued a statement through his agent Leon Rose that sounded like he was resigned to the inevitability of a trade. More and more, it sounds like his 11-year career in Philadelphia is coming to a close.

"As hard as it is to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone," Iverson said. "I hate admitting that because I love the guys on the team and the city of Philadelphia. I truly wanted to retire a 76er."

In a heartbeat...send Harris, Stack, 1st rrounder

V2M
12-08-2006, 11:39 PM
In a heartbeat...send Harris, Stack, 1st rrounder

Replace Harris with Terry and you got a deal

AxdemxO
12-08-2006, 11:59 PM
To be honest I probably wouldnt mind tht either. BUT i hope u say that because the sixers might want Terry.

If you think that Harris is more valuable to us than Terry ur are WRONG

V2M
12-09-2006, 12:07 AM
To be honest I probably wouldnt mind tht either. BUT i hope u say that because the sixers might want Terry.

If you think that Harris is more valuable to us than Terry ur are WRONG

Harris is shooting better, passing better, rebounding better and playing defense better than Terry this year... he even has better +/- numbers than Terry.

Do you want more... Harris is much younger and faster than Terry and is also a much better athlete than Terry!

AxdemxO
12-09-2006, 12:42 AM
Harris is shooting better, passing better, rebounding better and playing defense better than Terry this year... he even has better +/- numbers than Terry.

Do you want more... Harris is much younger and faster than Terry and is also a much better athlete than Terry!

Umm yee wooo hooo .....

Bottom line is Harris mite have improved a little..but he is not a better player than Terry rite now. Some day he may be, but now he is not and he is still got a lot to prove.

he had like 10 good games in his whole 3 year career and he gets all this credit, give me a break.

V2M
12-09-2006, 01:35 AM
Terry is a better player... in just your mind, at this point!

Harris is better now and will be so for the rest of their careers!!

nashtymavsfan13
12-09-2006, 01:43 AM
I still think Terry is better than Harris. I'd rather see the ball in Terry's hands more often than in Devin's.

Windmill360
12-09-2006, 01:57 AM
Avery said on Galloway today that last year Terry had the ball in his hands 60% of the time and now its down near 15% due to Harris and Johnson handling the ball more. 15%!!! This is coming from Avery's mouth. He said that Terry needs the ball more.

kriD
12-09-2006, 02:35 AM
A.I. outta here? Iverson waiting to hear if he's heading out of Philly

By DAN GELSTON, AP Sports Writer
December 9, 2006

PHILADELPHIA (AP) -- Allen Iverson is no longer Philadelphia's headache. Then again, maybe it's the other way around.

Either way, this much is sure: One of the great players in franchise history has likely played his last game for the 76ers. Iverson wants out and Philadelphia will grant his wish.

"It's just time for him to go his way and for us to go our way," Sixers chairman Ed Snider said Friday night.

During a bizarre day, Iverson was first banished by the club for two games and then Snider said the Sixers would trade their disgruntled franchise player after he asked to be dealt. It would end Iverson's 11-year stint with the team that made him the No. 1 pick in the 1996 draft.

The A.I. era is all but over.

Team president Billy King and coach Maurice Cheeks said Iverson was sent home before Friday night's 113-98 loss to the Washington Wizards because he didn't practice a day earlier and left Wednesday's blowout loss at Chicago with back spasms. King said the move was not a suspension and Iverson's future would be re-evaluated after Saturday night's game at Orlando.

"Allen was not able to practice (Thursday) because of the back and today Mo made a decision not to play him tonight or tomorrow," King said. "We told him to just take the night off and tomorrow."

Snider confirmed that Iverson did ask this week to be dealt.

"We're going to trade him," Snider said. "At a certain point, you have to come to grips with the fact that it's not working. He wants out and we're ready to accommodate him."

Snider said Iverson has "probably" played his last game with the Sixers, ending a career that placed him with Julius Erving, Charles Barkley and Wilt Chamberlain among the team's greats.

"I really didn't see it coming because Allen says all the right things, and I thought that he really was behind Mo and what we were trying to accomplish," Snider said. "Obviously, he's not."

Iverson, whose off-court behavior and coaching clashes often overshadowed his gritty, highlight-reel play, released a statement through agent Leon Rose stating that he told the Sixers he was healthy enough to play.

Iverson said he was told not to participate in shootaround and instead watched from the sideline. He joined the Sixers in the huddle, then was told by Cheeks not to come to the Wachovia Center.

Philadelphia 76ers' Allen Iverson, reacts during game against Winterthur FC Barcelona at the Palau Sant Jordi in Barcelona, Spain, in this Oct. 5, 2006 file photo. Iverson's tumultuous career in Philadelphia took another turn Friday when the 76ers sent him home and ruled him out of their next two games, and the former MVP hinted that a trade may be best for both sides. With his name swirling in heavy trade rumors, Iverson didn't play Friday against Washington, and 76ers president Billy King said the All-Star would not play on Saturday.

"In my entire career, even the doctors haven't been able to tell me not to play," Iverson said. "I've played through injury and illness. I think everyone knows how much I love being out on the court, competing and winning. That's why it was so disheartening to be told that I couldn't play, knowing that I was ready. It hurt even more to be told not to come at all."

Iverson, who is second in the NBA in scoring at 31.2 points per game, left Wednesday night's 121-94 loss at Chicago in the second half, complaining of back spasms, and didn't practice Thursday. The Sixers are 5-13 and have lost six straight and 13 of 15 overall.

"This season has been very frustrating for everyone," Iverson said. "I have expressed my frustration to my teammates, however, I have continued to give 100 percent night in and night out. Apparently, it hasn't been enough to help our team win."

Even with the Sixers sinking toward another lottery-bound season, Snider said Cheeks' and King's jobs were safe.

The losses and Iverson's petulance also have led to a splintered relationship with Cheeks. Iverson left a practice last week reportedly after a disagreement with Cheeks and skipped a team bowling function for season-ticket holders later that night. He apologized and was fined by the organization.

"It happens," Cheeks said. "Sometimes coaches and players disagree."

The foundering Sixers missed the playoffs last season for the second time in three seasons, leaving King to proclaim at the NBA draft lottery it was time to "change the culture." It has changed, but arguably for the worse.

Iverson reportedly was nearly dealt last offseason to Boston, and complained the trade talk took a toll on him and his family. A late July visit from King finally assured Iverson he wasn't going anywhere, and Iverson repeated a familiar pledge in training camp that he wanted to end his career with the Sixers.

"I always wanted to stay here because of the loyalty, but it's all I know," he said then.

Iverson, the No. 1 pick in the 1996 draft and a seven-time All-Star, has won four scoring titles, two All-Star game MVPs and the league MVP award in 2001 after taking the Sixers to the NBA finals.

"He's one of the greatest basketball players of all time, he has incredible talent, he's done a lot of great things for this organization and we wish him well," Snider said.

AxdemxO
12-09-2006, 02:45 AM
Terry is a better player... in just your mind, at this point!

Harris is better now and will be so for the rest of their careers!!

Hay budd why dont you start a poll on this and we can see. You are losing it if you think Harris is better than Terry rite now.

kriD
12-09-2006, 03:00 AM
Hay budd why dont you start a poll on this and we can see. You are losing it if you think Harris is better than Terry rite now.
As a PG? Absolutely.
Overall? Not yet.

Five-ofan
12-09-2006, 03:23 AM
why is that people think polls prove they are right?

kriD
12-09-2006, 03:35 AM
Green resume pursuit of Iverson

By Steve Bulpett/ Celtics Notebook
Boston Herald Sports Reporter
Saturday, December 9, 2006 - Updated: 12:56 AM EST

The Celtics are very much back in the hunt for Allen Iverson. According to league sources, the Celts were on the phone to the 76ers as soon as they learned that Iverson and Philadelphia had reached a point of no return.

The Sixers kept Iverson out of last night’s game against Washington, and team chairman Ed Snider said he would be traded. Sources say Philly president Billy King is well aware of the Celtics’ interest in finding a deal that works for both sides.

Danny Ainge had no word on a possible trade last night, saying, “I don’t comment on trade rumors.”

But it was known that the Celts had spoken to Philadelphia management about what they had to offer for Iverson. The fact the talks had slowed later last night had some in the league thinking the 76ers have another deal in the works, but word is the Celtics are willing to discuss a number of different packages.

The Celts believed they were close to a deal for Iverson this past summer, but the best of those scenarios included Utah, which now has the best record in the NBA and would likely be loath to upset what it has going.

Count Paul Pierce in favor of getting Iverson.

“Sure. Why not?” he said before a 116-111 loss to Phoenix. “I think we can mesh well together. Any time you have two guys of that caliber of play and they play together, things would work out. They’d find a way.

“It would definitely provide some excitement to get a caliber of player like Allen Iverson. Who would want to turn that down? I think it would be a thing about respect. You’ve got two All-Stars on one team, and it would be a respect factor. I have a lot of respect for his game, and I’m sure he has a lot of respect over the years going against each other.”

Looking at the Iverson situation overall, Pierce said, “I think eventually something will happen. I think he’s a great player and he deserves better.”

Some may believe Pierce deserves to play on a winning team, but don’t look for him to ask out of Boston - as Iverson evidently has asked out of Philadelphia.

“I think we’re in two different situations,” Pierce said. “Philly has really tried to rebuild around Allen Iverson with the (Chris) Webber trade, focusing on that duo. And they see that it really didn’t work out; whereas us, we’re focusing on helping our younger guys grow. It’s totally two different scenarios - the patience of a young team compared to a team that’s probably already peaked.”

Celtics coach Doc Rivers on the Iverson rumors: “He’s not on our team. I have no reaction.”

TheBlueVan
12-09-2006, 08:20 AM
AI needs to get out in the west somewhere

how about AI and kobe? oh the drama

birdsanctuary
12-09-2006, 12:50 PM
To me this looks like a deal is to be or not to be for the Mavs. Boston would make the playoffs, but would they really have enough to match with Chicago or Detroit, Lebrons or Miami when Shaq is back? I think not...

That said, Hunter is a pretty crappy GM, he might be stupid enough to bring in Ratliff and Telfair and blow up the franchise. If he wants to improve the 76ers he needs at least 3 quality players now, and possibly a large expiring contract. Stack would definitely be a plus and give them a solid 6 man. Harris would be the guy, I'd want if I'm serious about rebuilding my team. That still leaves the deal 6-8 million short. This could be made up with DJ or maybe a #1.

If you moved AI for Harris, I think JET would be more effective taking over Stack's role. The Mavs should make this deal now, allow for 4 months for the new team to gell and gear up for a championship run...

spreedom
12-09-2006, 03:05 PM
Stack, Jet/Devin (one or the other), and a first or second rounder would be an okay deal to me.. otherwise, I'd rather not give up a bunch of huge pieces to our team...

kriD
12-09-2006, 03:17 PM
David Aldridge | Iverson can be dealt if right cards played

By David Aldridge
Inquirer Columnist

Well, we knew it would happen sooner or later, so now is as good a time as any.

We told you on draft night in June that Allen Iverson wouldn't make it through the season with the 76ers. And now, the fuse has been lit. It's just a matter of when it goes off, and we can all get on with our basketball lives.

Does it really matter if it's Iverson who's stoking the fire, as the New York Post reported yesterday, or if it's Billy King serving as the catalyst? Iverson has asked to be traded before, and King has tried to accommodate him before. Last time, it was King instigating trade talks and Iverson reacting.

Bottom line: We're back to where we've been a half dozen or so times in the last few years.

At least there's a potential market for Iverson, small as it may be. There is no interest anywhere in taking on the last 19 months and $43 million of Chris Webber's deal.

"No one's taking Webber," an Eastern Conference coach said yesterday.

So, Iverson. We're way, way past the point of equal value; this is a salvage operation from here on out. Where can King turn? Here's where he's likely placing calls:

1. Denver: This nearly happened in February, when the Sixers almost pulled the trigger on a deal that would have sent Iverson to the Nuggets for a package including Kenyon Martin. King denied that any talks with Denver got serious, blaming loose lips on the Nuggets.

Believe whomever you want.

But the Nuggets still have interest. With Martin shelved for the rest of the season, Carmelo Anthony is seeking a true second scoring option. Yes, J.R. Smith has been better than advertised, but George Karl, who has coached the likes of Gary Payton and Anthony Mason over the years, won't be intimidated by Iverson, and he is intrigued by playing his high-octane style with Iverson and Anthony flying up and down the court.

The Denver package would almost certainly include guard Andre Miller - whom the Sixers don't especially like, but desperation makes for strange conversions - and either of two veteran forwards, Eduardo Najera or Joe Smith. To make the deal work cap-wise, Philly would have to take a body or two from the pile of Julius Hodge, DerMarr Johnson or Jamal Sampson.

They're talking.

2. Boston: You all know how close things got around the draft, when the Sixers, Celtics and Jazz nearly pulled off a three-way deal that would have sent Iverson to Beantown, Carlos Boozer (and Boston's first-round pick) to Philly, and Wally Szczerbiak to the Jazz. Discussions have cooled considerably since then, with the Sixers still reluctant to move Iverson within the division and Utah certainly no longer taking calls about Boozer.

Without a third team, however, a deal with Boston is far less likely. Boston's not trading Paul Pierce, and the Sixers aren't much interested in Szczerbiak. The Celtics aren't wedded to all of their young players (Gerald Green and Delonte West are the current untouchables, with rookie Rajon Rondo an almost), but they no longer have contracts with enough loot to make a one-on-one deal possible.

That could change if Philly could coerce a team like, say, Minnesota to get involved along with Boston. (No, not for Kevin Garnett; think Ricky Davis and Mark Blount.)

They've talked. They'll probably talk again.

3. Indiana: The disappointing Pacers are looking to shake things up, and Larry Bird has always been an Iverson fan. The question, though, is whether Indiana, reeling from numerous public relations disasters involving its players, can bring A.I. to town. If they answer yes, they'd want to keep Jermaine O'Neal (otherwise, what's the point of the deal?), so the trade would have to involve point guard Jamaal Tinsley. The Sixers would certainly also ask for rebounding machine Jeff Foster. But would the Pacers also part with second-year forward Danny Granger or Marquis Daniels, the former Maverick?

Hear they're talking, but don't know how seriously.

4. Memphis: Any trade talks involving the Grizzlies have been on hold - at least that's what Jerry West has been saying - while the majority interest in the team was being pursued by former Duke player Brian Davis' group.

But it looks as if the Davis purchase may come a cropper, with the league taking the unusual step of publicly rebuking Davis last week for not providing all of the financial information the league needs to consider his bid.

If the faucet is eventually turned back on, the Grizzlies - 28th in the league in attendance through Thursday, at just more than 15,400 per game - desperately need someone who can fill FedEx Forum on a more regular basis.

5. Sacramento: A long shot, but if the Kings really are shopping Mike Bibby (not for Iverson, just shopping him), you have to give them a call.

6-29. Atlanta, Golden State, blah, blah, blah: We don't see another player out there now, but it takes only one phone call to change that.

birdsanctuary
12-09-2006, 03:19 PM
Philly has too many roster spots... It's gonna be real hard to do a 2 for 1 unless we get back a scrub.
http://cache.deadspin.com/sports/stephenanangry.jpg
Philly will have to throw in Steven A. Smith to make the deal work. Are you sure you want him?

Nemesis
12-09-2006, 05:48 PM
We're talkin bout Iverson here...Iverson...We're talkin bout Iverson....This ain't Michael Jordan...it's Iverson...We're talkin bout Iverson...+...+ N(We're talkin bout Iverson here) + N(Iverson) +N(This ain't (fill in any shooting guard w/ any respect for authority))

Simon2
12-09-2006, 06:13 PM
This is weird. Its practically Harris or JET vs Iverson. Is it that complicated? Iverson is a stud. The two are good but they aren't great. AI is great. AI and Dirk = Championship

Nemesis
12-09-2006, 06:16 PM
just like Dirk, Walker, Lafrenz, Jamison = SUCK

Five-ofan
12-09-2006, 06:18 PM
just like Dirk, Walker, Lafrenz, Jamison = SUCK
Is dirk a perimeter oriented pf? I dont see your point. Yes 4 perimeter oriented pfs was doomed to fail. Dirk and AI doesnt even remotely have the same problems.

Nemesis
12-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Nothing good can come from it. I don't need a point or an argument. You won't get what you think you will get.. There is a reason he was shunned from the Olympic team.

Five-ofan
12-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Nothing good can come from it. I don't need a point or an argument. You won't get what you think you will get.. There is a reason he was shunned from the Olympic team.
yeah and that worked out so well for the olympic team. He was the best player on the olympic team he was on playing pg .

Nemesis
12-09-2006, 07:04 PM
The Olympic team didn't do good because 1) USA isn't as b-ball dominant as we were when professionals were first allowed to play. A.I. not being on the team has exactly nothing to do with it. 2) They got beat this year mainly because of the differences in Pro and Olympic sport rules and styles. Teams overseas are used to those rules. It didn't matter what team they played in the 90's.. we were so dominating that those rules had no effect. Again, A.I. has nothing to do with it.

Tokey41
12-09-2006, 07:04 PM
How come no one believes me when I say a veteran perrenial all-star WILL play his ass off if he gets shipped to a good team? I know Iverson will, and as much as we like Harris here do you really think he will EVER be as great as AI (even at his age now?). Harris and Stack with a first rounder seems like a good idea... but hey if they want Terry instead thats ideal. Doubt it, Harris has much more trade value and the sixers would want a player like him instead.

In conclusion... one or two championship year is better than several almost championship years. AI would help this team immensely, if you disagree then you obviously value Harris and Stack far too much or don't respect AI's superstar status.

Drbio
12-09-2006, 07:24 PM
agreed Tokey.

birdsanctuary
12-09-2006, 08:15 PM
How come no one believes me when I say a veteran perrenial all-star WILL play his ass off if he gets shipped to a good team? I know Iverson will, and as much as we like Harris here do you really think he will EVER be as great as AI (even at his age now?). Harris and Stack with a first rounder seems like a good idea... but hey if they want Terry instead thats ideal. Doubt it, Harris has much more trade value and the sixers would want a player like him instead.

In conclusion... one or two championship year is better than several almost championship years. AI would help this team immensely, if you disagree then you obviously value Harris and Stack far too much or don't respect AI's superstar status.

You my friend, are correct. I think we will offer Devin Harris, Stack and Ager for AI & a scrub, and I think we'll get him...

kriD
12-11-2006, 03:13 PM
Stephen A. Smith | Deal is all that matters now

By Stephen A. Smith
Inquirer Columnist

Here's what we know: Allen Iverson is gone.

Here's what we care about: Whatever the 76ers will get for him.

Here's what we'll hear: "It's his fault! It's their fault!" Coming from both sides.

Perhaps we'll care in the days and weeks to come.

Today, the primary concern should be preventing Iverson from becoming Charles Barkley, Part II, making sure the Sixers don't let go of their latest mercurial star for a bag of cheap beans thrown in the trash after Thanksgiving.

As Iverson's departure from Philadelphia appears imminent, there will be plenty of time to dissect this franchise.

We'll all ponder one day what life would be like for the Sixers right now if they had traded Iverson years ago when former coach Larry Brown insisted it was best for the franchise. We'll wonder what would have become of the coaching careers of Randy Ayers, Chris Ford, Jim O'Brien or even Mo Cheeks if they were faced with the challenge of coaching someone else instead of Iverson.

Questionable decisions by Billy King, the Sixers' president and general manager, will come into focus, as will those of team chairman Ed Snider, who some - not me, though - believe should fire himself. But none of that matters now.

What matters is that at least nine teams from the Eastern Conference called the Sixers yesterday. What matters is that Dallas, Chicago and the Clippers have potential deals the Sixers should want.

King's imagination can capitalize on potential deals with Minnesota, Boston, Denver, Sacramento or Golden State if any of those teams are willing to play ball. His knack for politics may even position him to pull off a heist with Chicago or Dallas. Perhaps the biggest plus of all is that King and the Sixers are no longer concerned with the 6-foot guard out of Georgetown who said, "As hard as it may be to admit, a change may be the best thing for everyone."

Said one Sixers source: "There was a time when Billy [King] cared about sending Iverson to a contender, just out of gratitude for all he's meant to this franchise. That time has passed. He ain't thinking about A.I. anymore. At least not on that level."

With that in mind, knowing the Sixers are in search of youth and fiscally sensible contracts, here's the lowdown:

Bulls: Chicago could send the expiring contracts of forwards P.J. Brown and Michael Sweetney, with guard Ben Gordon and a first-round pick to Philly for Iverson. Their brass will meet today but appear unlikely to make such a move.

Dallas: The Mavs could send the expiring contracts of Jerry Stackhouse and Austin Croshere, along with point guard Devin Harris. Problem? Owner Mark Cuban loves Harris and doesn't want any debate as to whether it will be Dirk Nowitzki's team.

Boston: Coach Doc Rivers is willing to surrender anyone other than Paul Pierce for Iverson. That includes Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair and forward Al Jefferson, if necessary. But Danny Ainge is running the show, and it's unclear what he'll be willing to do. Plus, Wally Szczerbiak or Theo Ratliff would have to come to Philly in order to make a deal work.

Golden State: Mike Dunleavy Jr., Troy Murphy or Jason Richardson would have to come to Philly to make a deal happen, but the Sixers would love to get their hands on Monta Ellis. The Warriors say they're not about to part with Ellis, but everyone talks that nonsense before a deal gets done.

Timberwolves: They barely have anyone the Sixers want, outside of Villanova product Randy Foye. Minnesota swears it's not about to let him go. We'll see.

Clippers: The Sixers shouldn't even talk to them unless they're willing to part with Corey Maggette and Shaun Livingston, which they are not willing to do.

Grizzlies: Eddie Jones' expiring contract is about the only asset the Grizzlies have to offer. Mike Fratello's toupee will fall off trying to coach Iverson.

Kings: Mike Bibby is owed $28 million over the final two years of his contract, but rumors have swirled he could opt out. Plus, Ron Artest loves Iverson. A long shot, of course, but you never know with the Kings' owners, the Maloof brothers.

Of course, there is always the possibility of multi-team deals, or a remote possibility that Iverson could be bought out of his contract. But that's venturing into the absurd, especially for a franchise with a few employees holding on by the skin of their teeth.

In time, we'll know where Iverson's going and what the Sixers have gotten for him.

Save the hostility for then. Not now.

kriD
12-11-2006, 03:15 PM
Source: Sixers looking to pull off trade by Tuesday

By Chris Sheridan
ESPN.com

Allen Iverson's 11-year tenure in Philadelphia is on track to end as soon as Monday night.

A source close to Iverson has told ESPN.com that Sixers brass met Sunday to go over the various trade proposals that have come in over the past few days. One or two three-team trade proposals were expected to be explored Monday, and the source said the Sixers were inclined to pull the trigger shortly thereafter -- either Monday night or Tuesday.

While the Sixers are apparently looking to pull the plug on the trade quickly, Iverson will be inactive for Monday's game against Portland.

The source indicated the Minnesota Timberwolves were not seriously in the running, and the attention being paid to Denver and Boston was being overblown.

"The offers are better than what was out there last summer," the source said.

The source said the Sixers seemed determined to avoid having the Iverson divorce linger anywhere near as long as last year's protracted Ron Artest trade saga in Indiana, which dragged on for nearly seven weeks before he was dealt to Sacramento for Peja Stojakovic.

"The best offers are the ones that come at the beginning," a well-placed Pacers source told ESPN.com on Saturday, looking back on that drama and comparing it to what's happening in Philadelphia with Iverson.

Sixers chairman Ed Snider has already said definitively that Iverson will be granted his wish and be traded, something Iverson asked for last Monday -- a day after the Sixers lost by 11 at home to Minnesota as Ricky Davis jawed with front-row spectators while scoring 14 fourth-quarter points to lock up the win.

Amid speculation that Davis, or Mike James, and rookie Randy Foye might be the centerpieces of a deal that would send Iverson to Minnesota, Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor on Friday night told the St. Paul Pioneer-Press: "There's no trade. It isn't that I don't like him, just money-wise it wouldn't work out."

And although Taylor backed off those comments somewhat on Saturday, ESPN.com's source, who because of his closeness to Iverson was being kept abreast of all developments, indicated the 76ers weren't enamored of either Davis or the additional pieces they'd have to take back from Minnesota to make the salaries match.

Unlike last year's Artest saga, when his relatively small salary ($6.8 million) gave the Pacers a myriad of options to consider, the Sixers have a limited number of proposals to sift through due to the number of players it would take, in most cases, to have salaries that add up within the range ($13.75 million to $21.5 million) of what is needed to match Iverson's salary (he makes $17.2 million this season, $19.1M in 2007-08 and $21.1M in 2008-09) for the trade to work under NBA rules.

The Celtics have the advantage of being able to add Theo Ratliff's $11.7 million contract into the mix, while the Memphis Grizzlies would be one of the few teams able to offer Philadelphia cap relief for next summer through Eddie Jones' expiring $15.7 million contract -- if not for the inconvenient fact that team president Jerry West's hands are tied because of the pending sale of the team, precluding him from making trades.

Dallas also could offer a package starting with two expiring contracts (Jerry Stackhouse and Austin Croshere), as could New Orleans (Desmond Mason and Mark Jackson add up to almost $13 million), while the Charlotte Bobcats are far enough under the salary cap to take back Iverson in a trade in which the salaries would not have to even come close to matching.

Another team that can't be totally dismissed is the New York Knicks, who are in the unique position of being able to take back both Iverson and Chris Webber in a trade. Because the salaries of Iverson and Webber add up to nearly $38 million, the Knicks would have to offer at least $30.4 million worth of contracts back -- a total that could be reached with a package of Steve Francis, Quentin Richardson, Malik Rose and Channing Frye.

And although the Sixers would prefer to trade Iverson to a Western Conference team, they're going to take the best offer that's out there, East or West, even in their own division -- and they're going to do it soon.

birdsanctuary
12-11-2006, 08:24 PM
Phil Jackson said. "I think certain teams know what he would do for them and other teams say `No, thank you' right at this time. Teams just can't go out and afford a player like him if they're not ready to make perhaps the next step to a championship."

mkat
12-11-2006, 08:34 PM
i'd hate to have TO AND Iverson in the same city. reeks of desperation.

Windmill360
12-11-2006, 11:23 PM
BREAKING NEWS!!! AI a NUGGET!!

http://img186.imageshack.us/img186/9059/iversonnuggetscopyrightmu5.jpg

gotcha

rmacomic
12-11-2006, 11:28 PM
gotcha
Yes you did sir.:eek:

Windmill360
12-12-2006, 01:46 AM
Celtics, Warriors And Kings Lead Hunt For Iverson
12th December, 2006 - 12:27 am
Newsday -
Boston was in the hunt for Allen Iverson on Monday, with a deal that would include Al Jefferson and Theo Ratliff with his $11.7-million contract.

Jefferson said neither Rivers nor general manager Danny Ainge had spoken with him about it. "I don't want it to happen, especially my name involved in it," Jefferson said. Told after the game that Jefferson doesn't want to be traded, Rivers said: "He won't be. I try to stay out of it because I have to coach the players and I don't want to lie to the players. But I'm pretty comfortable in saying that Al will be here."

The Sixers reportedly want to include forward Chris Webber, who has $43 million remaining on his contract, but teams are backing away at that idea.

Golden State and Sacramento also appear to be among the teams most likely to acquire Iverson.

Indiana emerged Monday as a strong player, with discussions centering around Jamaal Tinsley and Stephen Jackson.

Dallas and New Orleans have enough expiring contracts to make a deal attractive to the Sixers, and Charlotte is well under the salary cap and needs a franchise player to sell tickets. [Iverson has already shot down a deal to Charlotte] Memphis could offer the expiring contract of Eddie Jones, but any major moves are on hold because the team is up for sale. Speculation has gone away from Minnesota, Dallas and Denver, three of the early favorites to land him..

"So far, there's been what, 35 teams linked to it in a 30-team league?" Rivers said. "If he couldn't play, I don't think there would be a lot of comments about him."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/43701/20061212/celtics_warriors_and_kings_lead_hunt_for_iverson/

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v176/jorge3000/MaverickIversonDebut.jpg<--- wont happen.

Poor Batboy (Bibby). I feel sorry for his sorry ass.

Windmill360
12-12-2006, 01:58 AM
Has anyone looked into when our trade restrictions expire? (Still thinking a trade will not go down, I'm just throwing it out there.)

birdsanctuary
12-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Next Friday December 15th

A deal for Croshere, Stack and Devin could happen anytime, there are no restrictions on their contracts...

MavsFanFinley
12-12-2006, 10:18 AM
I wonder what young players they're talking about? I'm positive Ellis or Biedrins would not be included. So that makes me think Pietrus and/or Diogu.

Golden State The A.I. Favorites Amongst 10 Teams?

12th December, 2006 - 8:38 am
Boston Globe -

According to a league source, Golden State is the front-runner for Allen Iverson, offering a package that would include guard Baron Davis and a couple of young players.

According to another league source, the Celtics remain on the list of teams in contention for Iverson's services, along with Minnesota, Indiana, Chicago, Denver, Charlotte, Sacramento, Dallas, and the Clippers.

"He would be upset if that happened," said Pierce about Davis being traded to the Sixers. "Going to Philadelphia? He's a California guy all the way."

dude1394
12-12-2006, 10:46 AM
Get it done nellie...save us from ourselves. :)

Then chum can cozy up to AI's gangsta self.

MavsX
12-12-2006, 11:03 AM
damnit!

Dirkenstien
12-12-2006, 11:16 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2693389

I have a feeling the Mavs are going to nab this one. We have the pieces to make it happen and the pieces to make Philly want it to happen

u2sarajevo
12-12-2006, 11:26 AM
I don't think we are getting him.... but all the publicly announced things from Philly sure seems like they are targeting us, and more specifically Devin Harris:

1. They want a young stud - check (talking Harris here)
2. They want expiring contracts - check (Cro, brick)
3. They want to trade by today? (which would force us to trade now - Devin Harris - instead of waiting until Friday when Terry becomes tradeable) I realize that is a stretch because if they don't want Terry they just say so....

Do we have the "most" expiring contracts of the teams? I think that would be pretty valuable to them.

dalmations202
12-12-2006, 11:34 AM
AI, Terry, AJ2, Buck does not seem like a good guard rotation to me. I just don't see it defensively. It seems like it hurts offensively as well since AI and Terry both couldn't initiate the offense.

I don't think this would work with AJ's offense. Not if Howard was still pushing to be the guy as well.

mkat
12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
you don't trade terry. when he gets back in his groove, he's your SG. You already have 3 PGs (Harris, AJ2, Terry). You get Iverson, and lose Terry, that means you're starting Buck at the 2. Why do that? That's a waste of talent. If you do the deal, you do Harris-Stack-Cro. It's the only one that really makes sense. I'd hate to see harris go, though. I think it'll be kinda like a Nash thing in the future and come back and bite us in the ass.

purplefrog
12-12-2006, 08:38 PM
Has anyone looked into when our trade restrictions expire? (Still thinking a trade will not go down, I'm just throwing it out there.)

JET can't be traded until December 15!!!!!! Does JET and Cro (or Stack) work???

I actually believe Cuban when he says "no way" because starting over again with the chemistry deal would be a real challenge. Question for all you 76ers experts..... Has AI ever been able to play with another superstar? I can't really remember......

u2sarajevo
12-12-2006, 08:48 PM
Has AI ever been able to play with another superstar? I can't really remember......Who would that have been? Glenn Robinson? Chris Webber? KEITH Van Horn? He never has had that in his Pro career.

Windmill360
12-12-2006, 08:51 PM
He has never really had a super start on his team.

dude1394
12-12-2006, 10:14 PM
The bigger question is has he ever played team ball in his life?

Drbio
12-12-2006, 10:34 PM
The bigger question is has he ever played team ball in his life?

Not too bad in the Olympics.

AxdemxO
12-12-2006, 11:41 PM
I like the Mavs jersey on him. I am hoping we get him...we'll c.

Dirkenstien
12-13-2006, 10:30 AM
A trade with the Mavs makes the most sense but I see this as becoming at least a three tem deal, otherwise it probably would have been done by now.

I think [ Stackhouse, Croshere and Harris for Iverson ] is a fair deal for both teams. Philly gets two expiring contracts (equal to the amount of Iverson's contract) and they get a very good developing PG to take Allen's spot. Also, this allows them to re-sign Harris, Iguodala, and go after a top free-agent after next year when Chris Webber's contract is up.

Dallas gets another star to put on the court with Dirk as we make our way towards another title run. Furthermore, and most importantly, our starting lineup goes un-touched thus maintaining the chemistry there.

Our new lineup:

Diop/ Damp/ M'Benga
Dirk/ George/
Howard/ George
Terry/ Buckner/ Ager
Iverson/ A.Johnson

Philly's new lineup:

C: Dalembert/ Hunter
PF:Webber/ Croshere
SF: Iggy/ Korver
SG: Stackhouse/ Willie Green
PG: Harris/ Ollie

V2M
12-13-2006, 10:41 AM
A trade with the Mavs makes the most sense but I see this as becoming at least a three tem deal, otherwise it probably would have been done by now.

I think [ Stackhouse, Croshere and Harris for Iverson ] is a fair deal for both teams. Philly gets two expiring contracts (equal to the amount of Iverson's contract) and they get a very good developing PG to take Allen's spot. Also, this allows them to re-sign Harris, Iguodala, and go after a top free-agent after next year when Chris Webber's contract is up.

Dallas gets another star to put on the court with Dirk as we make our way towards another title run. Furthermore, and most importantly, our starting lineup goes un-touched thus maintaining the chemistry there.

Our new lineup:

Diop/ Damp/ M'Benga
Dirk/ George/
Howard/ George
Terry/ Buckner/ Ager
Iverson/ A.Johnson

Philly's new lineup:

C: Dalembert/ Hunter
PF:Webber/ Croshere
SF: Iggy/ Korver
SG: Stackhouse/ Willie Green
PG: Harris/ Ollie

I'd be happy with this deal... and I'd be happier if we could somehow ship Terry instead and keep Harris.

Dirkenstien
12-13-2006, 10:52 AM
I'd be happy with this deal... and I'd be happier if we could somehow ship Terry instead and keep Harris.

Well that really depends on what Philly wants. Do they want someone to be able to come in and help them compete right away with the downfall being no financial flexibility? Or do they want financial flexibility and the opportunity to be very good in two years?

Personally, I'd rather keep Terry. I think his outside shooting would tremendously compliment Iverson's penetration and ability to draw double teams. I think Philly would rather have Harris as well.

mkat
12-13-2006, 11:37 AM

please elaborate.

for the record, shipping terry would be a HORRIBLE idea.

rakesh.s
12-13-2006, 12:18 PM
Sounds like a deal with Golden State is almost done --

Baron Davis and Biedrins for Iverson and Hunter.

I think this is a horrible deal for the Warriors, because Biedrins is going to be a top 3 center in a year or two. They're giving up way too much. I can't imagine Nellie getting along with Iverson either -- do you see him chewing Iverson out like he does with all his other players?

MavKikiNYC
12-13-2006, 01:00 PM
Warriors working to land Iverson

By MITCH LAWRENCE
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Allen Iverson's departure from Philadelphia might be coming very soon, as Sixers GM Billy King told another Eastern Conference executive last night that he has "two deals on the table, ready to go."

One of the deals King was strongly considering is with Golden State, for point guard Baron Davis, center Andris Biedrins and a third unidentified player. In addition to Iverson, the Warriors would get backup center Steven Hunter. While a source close to one of the players involved called the deal "done," the Sixers remain quiet about where they will be sending Iverson.

"It makes sense for the Sixers to make the deal with Golden State," an Eastern Conference executive said last night. "It's the situation the Pacers were in last year with Ron Artest. It's better to get those guys out of your conference, unless you're getting a blockbuster in return."

Meanwhile, the Warriors' opponents last night, the Kings, took themselves out of contention for Iverson, according to co-owner Joe Maloof. The Pacers and Celtics were regarded as the teams in the East trying hardest to get Iverson. But a league official said that his conversations with the Pacers strongly indicated that they are just about out of the running, since they don't want to part with Danny Granger or any other players King wanted.

Since announcing last week that they are trading their disgruntled superstar, the Sixers have been holding out for a deal that will get them a combination of the following: players with expiring contracts, so they can avoid paying the luxury tax next season; a good young player; and draft picks. Earlier yesterday, they reportedly rejected the Clippers' offer of Corey Maggette and Cuttino Mobley, with Mobley's deal having three more years to run at nearly $30 million.

Earlier in trade talks, Golden State had been trying to move veterans with long-term deals, including Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy and Adonal Foyle. But the Sixers asked for Biedrins - a third-year player who turns 21 in April - Monta Ellis or Mickael Pietrus. If the deal with Golden State goes through, it will allow Iverson to play in Don Nelson's freewheeling offensive system. The Warriors feel that Iverson would give them a great chance to get into the playoffs for the first time since 1994.

MavKikiNYC
12-13-2006, 01:05 PM
Sounds like a deal with Golden State is almost done --

Baron Davis and Biedrins for Iverson and Hunter.

I think this is a horrible deal for the Warriors, because Biedrins is going to be a top 3 center in a year or two. They're giving up way too much. I can't imagine Nellie getting along with Iverson either -- do you see him chewing Iverson out like he does with all his other players?
Very interesting dynamic, to be sure, if that scenario plays out.

The players left behind--Murphy, Duneleavy, Foyle, etc.--know they're not wanted.

Biedrins leaves, and Nelson reinforces the idea that he not only has no idea what to do with young big-man talent, but that he doesn't even want them on the team.

And then, yeah, that will be interesting to watch---overweight, old white man, chewing the a$$ of a braided, tattooed, gangstuh. Sparks fly. Hilarity ensues.

At least they both hate to practice.

Windmill360
12-13-2006, 02:10 PM
I dont really understand Golden State but ok...

chumdawg
12-13-2006, 02:18 PM
There...is no WAY...that deal happens.

Windmill360
12-13-2006, 02:25 PM
There's also a Denver deal where the Sixers get Nene, and JR.

Edit: and Najera

MavsX
12-13-2006, 02:36 PM
Najera gets traded like a bitch. Hes been traded so many times..i feel bad for him..its like no one wants him...or that hes not good enough

Dirkenstien
12-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I don't think that Philly/Golden State deal helps either of them. Iverson going to Denver for Nene and Najera is a scary thought. If for no other reason, Cuban should get his a$$ in the bidding process to keep this from happening.

Tokey41
12-13-2006, 02:50 PM
Why would they want Nene? A $60 million contract from a crappy player is not appealing at all. Also why would Philly want Biedrins when they have a decent young center?

We do make the most sense, that lineup of Harris, Iggy, Dalembert, Korver... and the high draft pick(s) they will probably get seems like a nice young core to build around for years to come.

Nash13
12-13-2006, 03:14 PM
If Dallas doesn't get AI, then i hope the GS deal happens. They would suck harder than the 76ers, and would have Ape and Chum running to be Mavs fans again.

Darth Ape
12-13-2006, 04:07 PM
Golden State is giving up too much in that scenario. Give them Baron Davis and Jrich. That should be enough. If they insist on a young player, throw in Pietrus.

untitled
12-13-2006, 05:57 PM
Golden State is giving up too much in that scenario. Give them Baron Davis and Jrich. That should be enough. If they insist on a young player, throw in Pietrus.
But, how is JRich, Davis, and Pietrus not too much? That seems like too much to me, but then again, I primarily watch the Warriors when they play, and beat, Dallas- so my opinion may be too high of them.

WurzburgBorn
12-13-2006, 06:04 PM
Just watched Steven Smith on sportscenter. He thinks AI is going to Miami. lol

Windmill360
12-13-2006, 06:19 PM
Dallas has been out of the sweepstakes since last week. League executives say that four Western conference teams are still interested: Denver, Golden State, Minnesota, and L.A. Clippers.

TheBlueVan
12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
i heard the same thing about AI going to miami. if he does, it will take an act of God to keep them from riding the refs to another championship and a "team of the ages" tag

rakesh.s
12-14-2006, 11:29 AM
miami is just silly..they're not trading snaq and they're not trading wade.

Who does philly get in return? payton, walker and kapono? Give me a break.

and miami is in the leastern conference..does philly want to play against him 4 times/year?

Flacolaco
12-14-2006, 12:09 PM
there would likely be a 3rd team involved if Miami were to be the place

Speedy
12-14-2006, 01:00 PM
There is a long (almost 400 pages) thread at realgm about AI rumors. A poster, sixerfan1976, seems to have a source feeding him information. He makes it sound like the Mavs might have interest in helping AI to Denver with Nene coming here. I don't know if any of this is true, but it is fun to read. Here is a link to the thread. http://realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=597322&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=4464

There is light at the end of the tunnel...its almost over.

Miami's late interest is postering by Pat Riley to get someone to overpay for AI..or at least pay more than they are currently offering.

Minny has been the most active caller this morning..trying to get a three way together before its too late but its not working.....no one wants their bad contracts.

Chad Ford was dead on in his chat today when he said that Portland and Charlotte are the third teams in most scenarios that are concocted. Almost every scenario the Sixers are picking thru this morning has one or both of them involved.(Dallas the other team mentioned as third party) Sixers would be getting Magliore and/or Brevin Knight in most of these scenarios.

Denver even has floated some offers involved that include TWO first round picks.

The following teams are all out of the running for AI:
IND
BOS
GSW
LAC
SAC
MIA
CHA
MIN

Which leaves.....one team.....the soon to be winner of the AI race...the Denver Nuggets. The details are not finalized.....and may change in several variations that are being discussed......both 2 and multi team trades...but your winner is the DENVER NUGGETS, barring a last minute breakdown.

I was told a trade of AI to the Nuggets WILL happen by end of day tomorrow.

The variations.....could be a combination of the below..but this is what I was told is involved.(could be some or all...lots of variables right now)

1 to 2 first round picks.
Joe Smith and/or Eduardo Najera
Andre Miller or Brevin Knight
1 of Magliore,Croshere or some other expiring contract(still trying to find Nene 3-way opportunities)

Some, but not the front burner variations, include Samuel Dalembert.

None of the variations include Camby,JR Smith or Kenyon Martin.

I will take 5 minutes of questions...before I have to run for now.

Speedy
12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
This works in the trade checker:

AI/Hunter/Ollie to Denver

Nene to Dallas

Miller/Joe Smith/Croshere/Diop to Philly

I don't think the Mavs would take on Nene's contract with Damp here.

V2M
12-14-2006, 01:37 PM
nvm

Stranger
12-14-2006, 02:11 PM
This might be more appropriate in an Antoine Walker thread, but Paul Pierce had some comments in the Boston Globe that are worth reading:

"One question keeps coming up with every mention of Iverson possibly landing in Boston: Can Iverson and Paul Pierce coexist?

"I think it would work out with the two of us," said Pierce. "I played with the biggest jacker in league history in Antoine Walker, didn't I? He was just jacking up shots. At least Iverson might go hit them at a higher clip and get to the free throw line.""

Drbio
12-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Whoa. Did Pierce really say that?

Flacolaco
12-14-2006, 02:35 PM
Yeah we need some linkage on that one. That's hilarious though if it's true.

untitled
12-14-2006, 02:36 PM
Whoa. Did Pierce really say that?
Apparently he did, wow:

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061214/SPORTS03/612140360/1002/SPORTS

u2sarajevo
12-14-2006, 03:02 PM
Pierce is my hero for today.

Darth Ape
12-14-2006, 03:14 PM
OK pierce, then explain why since the "chucker" left, you've never sniffed the type of playoff success that you did while he played along side you. Walker seemed to be a pretty good complimentary player when he helped take Boston to the Eastern Conference Finals. And he looked like a great teammate again when he helped the Heat win a championship.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aahe101.jpg

Windmill360
12-14-2006, 03:32 PM
^^^ That picture should be illegal.

Denver pitches three-way trade for idle Iverson

By David Aldridge
Inquirer Staff Writer
Yesterday's installment of the Allen Iverson trade saga had the Denver Nuggets exploring an alternate way to obtain the 76ers' all-star guard, and the Golden State Warriors taking a step back and perhaps getting ready to drop out.

A source said yesterday that the Nuggets might be trying to involve a third team, the Portland Trail Blazers, in the deal. The proposed trade would send forward Nene to the Trail Blazers, who then would ship center Jamaal Magloire to the Sixers.

The Nuggets would send another player, possibly former Sixer Joe Smith, to the Sixers, and the Sixers would direct Iverson to Denver.

Magloire and Smith would give Sixers general manager Billy King what he wants: contracts in their last season. The 6-foot-11 Magloire, in his seventh NBA season, is making $8.3 million. Smith, a former No. 1 overall pick, is making $6.8 million.

Nene is making $10 million in the first year of a five-year contract, but as a base-year player, the Nuggets can take back only $6.35 million in salary.

The source also said the Warriors might be out of the running for Iverson. The West Coast team was believed to have offered guard Baron Davis.

With King unavailable for comment, there was no indication whether a deal was near. Iverson was on the inactive list for the fourth straight game.
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/43743/20061214/nuggets_working_on_a_three_way/

u2sarajevo
12-14-2006, 03:34 PM
He sure didn't help his teammates Nash(aka The Chosen One) and Dirk win a Championship. I also seem to remember that God's gift to Basketball Coaching was leading that team.

:p

Stranger
12-14-2006, 03:36 PM
Sorry to neglect the link before... the full article from the Boston Globe is here (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2006/12/14/iverson_unlikely_to_wear_green/)

MightyToine
12-15-2006, 12:49 PM
OK pierce, then explain why since the "chucker" left, you've never sniffed the type of playoff success that you did while he played along side you. Walker seemed to be a pretty good complimentary player when he helped take Boston to the Eastern Conference Finals. And he looked like a great teammate again when he helped the Heat win a championship.

http://www.onlinesports.com/images/phf-aahe101.jpg

Darth Ape is my hero.

(Don't know if you should be flattered or scared...lol) :rolleyes:

MightyToine
12-15-2006, 12:52 PM
He sure didn't help his teammates Nash(aka The Chosen One) and Dirk win a Championship. I also seem to remember that God's gift to Basketball Coaching was leading that team.

Well that team didn't do with Nellie back then what they do now with AJ : PLAY TEAM DEFENSE!

Perhaps if they played the type of "D" that time that they play now, they would've gotten farther than just Sacramento.....

But oh well....Things worked out for the best, I suppose. Dallas got rid of Walker, Walker won a Championship, and I got to gloat about it. Yup. Life is good. :cool:

bernardos70
12-15-2006, 03:35 PM

Jamison clearly was hindering that team........ Yup, Jamison alone ruined the greatest roster in Basketball history.

MavsX
12-15-2006, 06:30 PM
I don't like darth ape.

Windmill360
12-15-2006, 10:00 PM
If a trade goes down and we are the third team I hope we get Najera. Najera > Croshere + AJ.

FINtastic
12-16-2006, 12:08 AM
And he looked like a great teammate again when he helped the Heat win a championship.

He did?

FINtastic
12-16-2006, 12:12 AM
This is an interesting read. Looks like Iverson's trade value is close to nada:

Not good to be the King

December 15, 2006

Across the seasons of the Philadelphia 76ers' slide into the NBA's sludge, the sobering truth about general manager Billy King's fitness for the job has exposed itself decision by decision, defeat by defeat. With his franchise in shambles and his leverage to move Allen Iverson crumbling, the countdown to a disastrous deal ticks loudly throughout the league.

There's a reason that the trade talks for Iverson have dragged for a full week now, longer than the Sixers ever wanted. The thing is, everyone else doesn't just want to steal Iverson out of Philly; they expected to do so.

Mostly, front offices think they can get over on King.

And why wouldn't they? With his owner, Ed Snider, King has cast the Sixers in the most vulnerable of positions to peddle Iverson. By banishing him last Friday, they've done nothing but make teams reluctant to offer the best possible packages for Iverson. King wanted a bidding war for Iverson. So far, it hasn't been close.

As it's turned out, these negotiations aren't about who's offered the most for Iverson, but who's offered the least embarrassing package.

"Philly may regret the way they did this," said one NBA executive who has made some trades in his career. "They have painted themselves into a corner unnecessarily. If they planned to trade him, why sit him down? I think that only diminishes his value."

That's a belief shared throughout the league. For some to dismiss the exiling of Iverson on the basis that it doesn't matter that the Sixers keep losing – nine straight games and 13 out of 14 – does nothing but enable the losing culture of the King regime. The franchise's credibility has been chipped away layer by layer these past several years, until now when it's been fully exposed for what it's become – the biggest joke in the league.

Try this today: Put every NBA G.M., coach and roster into a pool. Allow the rest of the owners to draft them. Tough to manage, but it's true that Philadelphia might be the one team that gets all three of those entities taken last.

Through the bad contracts and draft picks and trades, through the revolving door of coaches, King has remained blessed with an engaging, earnest disposition that's carried him within and outside his organization. He's a survivor. And make no mistake, he isn't alone among his peers. If Kevin Garnett and Paul Pierce were demanding trades in Minnesota and Boston now, Kevin McHale and Danny Ainge would be under this kind of scrutiny.

Still, King has a chance to make a last stand on this trade – bringing back expiring contracts, young players and draft picks – to fortify a bid to keep his job. And what comes with it but word that Larry Brown is holding his hand on the trade, serving as a "consultant" to the Sixers.

For goodness sakes, the biggest decision he'll ever make as Philadelphia G.M. and King decides to deliver the message that he isn't strong enough to make it on his own? Brown was responsible for hiring King with the 76ers, and now it looks like he's unsure what to do without him.

"What does he need Larry Brown for?" one league executive wondered Thursday night. "If you're the G.M., do the deal."

Denver has been in the middle of these negotiations from the beginning, trying to dump its overpaid and damaged good, Nene, on the Sixers. In the beginning, the Nuggets tried to package the likes of Julius Hodge with him. The longer trade talks drag on, the less inclined suitors like Denver will hang in and risk disruption of its locker room psyche.

The Sixers are believed to have been offered the ever-intriguing young Clippers guard Shaun Livingston over the summer for Iverson – with Corey Maggette – but King didn't go for it. They'll never get Livingston now. Part of that was ownership's reluctance to trade the franchise's most valued asset at a time when selling the team was a possibility.

Surely still, that wasn't the first chance King had to get maximum value for his superstar. Besides waiting too long to trade him, they decided to do it all wrong.

That's the reason, one league source says, the Pacers are determined to keep one foot in the talks with Philadelphia. Indiana executives Donnie Walsh and Larry Bird are insisting they want to grab Iverson if he's there to be stolen. That's where Billy King has backed himself into now, where salvaging his lost cause with Allen Iverson looks like one more losing proposition in Philly.

Flacolaco
12-18-2006, 11:21 AM
According to Ben Maller at http://www.benmaller.com/nba_rumors_notes

Hard to believe the way they've been playing, but 76ers sources said Phoenix has inquired about Allen Iverson. The Suns want to deal Marcus Banks, and Kurt Thomas is no longer vital with Amare Stoudemire playing again at a high level.

crap

Dr.Zoidberg
12-18-2006, 11:30 AM
According to Ben Maller at http://www.benmaller.com/nba_rumors_notes

crap

I don´t think that will happen. Why should they trade for Iverson if they already have one of the best point guards in the league with Nash. How would that work?

Flacolaco
12-18-2006, 11:40 AM
I dont think it will happen either, but it's not exactly a pleasant idea for a maverick fan

Dr.Zoidberg
12-18-2006, 11:53 AM
Neither Nash nor AI are bench players. And if AI would come to the Suns they have to play together in the starting lineup. That´s too much speed with too less rebounding and defense. No way such a system would work out.

V2M
12-18-2006, 12:14 PM
Neither Nash nor AI are bench players. And if AI would come to the Suns they have to play together in the starting lineup. That´s too much speed with too less rebounding and defense. No way such a system would work out.

Since when did the Suns start caring 'bout rebounding & defense?!

Dr.Zoidberg
12-18-2006, 12:23 PM
Since when did the Suns start caring 'bout rebounding & defense?!

Thats what I mean! They are already bad enough at it.

V2M
12-18-2006, 12:28 PM
Thats what I mean! They are already bad enough at it.

They are bad enough for a reason... they don't care 'bout 'em! They just care 'bout speed & scoring which AI can certainly deliver... in spades!!

WurzburgBorn
12-18-2006, 07:48 PM
Updated: Dec. 18, 2006, 8:35 PM ET
Riley, Heat pull out of Iverson biddingAssociated Press

MIAMI -- Cross Miami off the list of potential landing spots for Allen Iverson.

Heat coach Pat Riley said Monday that the defending NBA champions have pulled out of the running for the disgruntled Philadelphia 76ers superstar, who is out of action and on the sidelines while awaiting to be traded.

Miami had been mentioned as a possible destination for Iverson, but Riley squashed any hope of a deal that would have brought one of the NBA's leading scorers to South Florida.

"We are out of the Allen Iverson conversation," Riley said Monday before the Heat played the New Orleans Hornets. "This isn't going to move forward. We have discussed every scenario. It never became formal offers.

"It's time for us to move on."

Riley said he was aware that Philadelphia contacted 28 of the 30 NBA teams. Talks between the Heat and Sixers never turned into serious offers or specific scenarios, he said.

"I thought it was in the best interest of the franchise to at least explore it," Riley said. "As of today, we're done with it."

Riley pulled the trigger on a blockbuster trade two summers ago that brought All-Star center Shaquille O'Neal. Teamed with guard Dwyane Wade, the Heat reached the Eastern Conference Finals and then won the franchise's first NBA title last season.

Adding Iverson to the mix would have created a dazzling backcourt and given the Heat a much-needed scoring boost while O'Neal recovers from a knee injury.

It won't happen, though.

"Scenarios and discussions always turn into offers," Riley said. "When you have 28 teams talking, it can get complicated, and then you start trying to match up the dollars. We just decided to move out."

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

dude1394
12-18-2006, 07:50 PM
All Riley cares about is money.

Thespiralgoeson
12-19-2006, 12:03 AM
All Riley cares about is money.

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to dude1394 again."

aexchange
12-19-2006, 06:17 AM
when the hell were the heat ever really in it? they have a bunch of mismatched crap up and down their roster.

who cares???

MFFL
12-19-2006, 09:18 AM
This is an interesting read. Looks like Iverson's trade value is close to nada:

Here's a garbage offer from us. The extra players from Philly is simply to balance roster spots. I read that Philly had a full roster and would have to make cuts that would cost them financially if the trade didn't balance roster spots.

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Austin Croshere
6-9 PF from Providence
8.2 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 22.9 minutes
Greg Buckner
6-4 SG from Clemson
6.7 ppg, 2.9 rpg, 1.7 apg in 24.0 minutes
Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston
9.2 ppg, 2.2 rpg, 4.3 apg in 26.4 minutes
DJ Ilunga-Mbenga
7-0 C from Congo (Foreign)
1.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.1 apg in 5.6 minutes
Maurice Ager
6-5 from Michigan State
No games yet played in 2005/06
Incoming
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
Alan Henderson
6-9 PF from Indiana
2.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes
Louis Williams
6-2 PG from South Gwinnett (HS)
1.9 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 5.0 minutes
Bobby Jones
6-7 from Washington
Ivan McFarlin
6-7 from Oklahoma State
Change in team outlook: +11.6 ppg, -5.2 rpg, and +0.6 apg.

Outgoing
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
Alan Henderson
6-9 PF from Indiana
2.5 ppg, 2.7 rpg, 0.2 apg in 10.3 minutes
Louis Williams
6-2 PG from South Gwinnett (HS)
1.9 ppg, 0.6 rpg, 0.3 apg in 5.0 minutes
Bobby Jones
6-7 from Washington
Ivan McFarlin
6-7 from Oklahoma State
Incoming
Austin Croshere
6-9 PF from Providence
Greg Buckner
6-4 SG from Clemson
Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston
DJ Ilunga-Mbenga
7-0 C from Congo (Foreign)
1.7 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.1 apg in 5.6 minutes
Maurice Ager
6-5 from Michigan State
Change in team outlook: -11.6 ppg, +5.2 rpg, and -0.6 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Dallas and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Philadelphia had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

MFFL
12-19-2006, 09:19 AM
Otherwise we can offer THIS garbage offer.

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Maurice Ager
6-5 from Michigan State
Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston
Greg Buckner
6-4 SG from Clemson
Austin Croshere
6-9 PF from Providence
Incoming
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
Change in team outlook: +8.9 ppg, -7.2 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

Outgoing
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
Incoming
Maurice Ager
6-5 from Michigan State
Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston
Greg Buckner
6-4 SG from Clemson
Austin Croshere
6-9 PF from Providence
Change in team outlook: -8.9 ppg, +7.2 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
Due to Dallas and Philadelphia being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Dallas and Philadelphia had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Flacolaco
12-19-2006, 09:32 AM
we should've won by more last night. l

et's break up this team and trade for iverson. last nights 20 point win was awful. winning 18 out of the last 21 is unacceptable.

we need iverson soon. this is getting ridiculous.

MFFL
12-19-2006, 10:48 AM
we should've won by more last night. l

et's break up this team and trade for iverson. last nights 20 point win was awful. winning 18 out of the last 21 is unacceptable.

we need iverson soon. this is getting ridiculous.

Maybe if we had Iverson last season we wouldn't have had the worst collapse in NBA Finals history.

I see no evidence that we have gotten any better so why do we expect different results. Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

Usually Lurkin
12-19-2006, 11:01 AM
Maybe if we had Iverson last season we wouldn't have had the worst collapse in NBA Finals history.

I see no evidence that we have gotten any better so why do we expect different results. Remember the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Maybe if we'd had Iverson last season we'd have relied on him instead of Dirk to get us past the Spurs. Maybe if we'd had him, the mavs wouldn't have made the leap they did - because he wouldn't have wanted to practice with the new guys or with the new coach or with a system that was new to everybody. But we would all probably own cool jersey's with the number 3 and some gold trim on them!

MFFL
12-19-2006, 11:07 AM
The problem is that some of you guys want to try and win with the group that has shown that they can't get it done. There is NO reason to assume these guys can make the next step. NONE.

I don't want to waste the best years of Dirk on a bunch of second stringers like Howard and Terry.

jthig32
12-19-2006, 11:12 AM
The problem is that some of you guys want to try and win with the group that has shown that they can't get it done. There is NO reason to assume these guys can make the next step. NONE.

I don't want to waste the best years of Dirk on a bunch of second stringers like Howard and Terry.

If you think failing once means a team can't get it done then you don't watch sports. There are plenty of examples of teams needing nothing more than experience and small tweaks to get over that final hurdle.

MFFL
12-19-2006, 11:23 AM
If you think failing once means a team can't get it done then you don't watch sports. There are plenty of examples of teams needing nothing more than experience and small tweaks to get over that final hurdle.

The NBA is different. There are so few players needed to win a championship that the talent of the individual players is more important than the talent of the roster. Miami had maybe eight players who made a contribution.

Name an NBA team that has won after a little experience a small tweak. And did those teams have a superstar who was gaining that experience?

Name an NBA team with one star that has beaten a team with two stars.

jthig32
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
The NBA is different. There are so few players needed to win a championship that the talent of the individual players is more important than the talent of the roster. Miami had maybe eight players who made a contribution.

Name an NBA team that has won after a little experience a small tweak. And did those teams have a superstar who was gaining that experience?

Name an NBA team with one star that has beaten a team with two stars.

The most obvious answer to the first question is Isaiah's Pistons.

The VERY obvious answer to the second question is the Pistons of '04.

Flacolaco
12-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Pistons vs Lakers?

defense. defense defense defense.

defense and Dirk.

MFFL
12-19-2006, 11:30 AM
The VERY obvious answer to the second question is the Pistons of '04.

Didn't that team have FOUR All-Stars last year?

We only have ONE.

jthig32
12-19-2006, 11:34 AM
Didn't that team have FOUR All-Stars last year?

We only have ONE.

Ok, please. Don't let All Star selections determine stars. That's just silly and you know it.

Thespiralgoeson
12-19-2006, 11:39 AM
Otherwise we can offer THIS garbage offer.

Dallas Trade Breakdown
Outgoing
Maurice Ager
6-5 from Michigan State
Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston
Greg Buckner
6-4 SG from Clemson
Austin Croshere
6-9 PF from Providence
Incoming
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
Change in team outlook: +8.9 ppg, -7.2 rpg, and +0.2 apg.

Outgoing
Allen Iverson
6-0 PG from Georgetown
Incoming
Maurice Ager
6-5 from Michigan State
Anthony Johnson
6-3 PG from Charleston
Greg Buckner
6-4 SG from Clemson
Austin Croshere
6-9 PF from Providence
Change in team outlook: -8.9 ppg, +7.2 rpg, and -0.2 apg.

Successful Scenario

I think any deal potential deal between the Mavs and Sixers has to involve Stackhouse and his expiring contract or the Sixers won't be interested.

I think the Wolves had a last year guy like Stackhouse, AI would be in Minnesota by now.

Flacolaco
12-19-2006, 11:41 AM
in 04 they had 1 all star didnt they? Ben Wallace?

Usually Lurkin
12-19-2006, 11:44 AM

Last years team had enough to get it done. They were on a playing field that was not level. Sure, there is a chance that that field remains unlevel (ala pacers, jazz v. Jordan) for a few years, but last years finals was such an obvious show of poor sports by the NBA that I don't think they'll repeat it, and with their experience, I'm willing to bet this years mavs would win in the same situation, despite the bias.

You might gamble that AI would get the ref love to put the mavs past whoever they might come against, but I think that's a big gamble. The refs might decide the opposite, and punish his thug image (ask Stern how much he would like Cuban to win by promoting a street-thug attitude). More of a gamble, to me, though, is the possibility that he makes the team worse by taking the ball out of Dirks hands more than any other co-star would or should, and by bringing a practice-ain't-important attitude that is antithetical to everything that we know of about who the Mavs are.

MFFL
12-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Ok, please. Don't let All Star selections determine stars. That's just silly and you know it.

Really?

The starting five is voted by fans but the rest of the roster is chosen by professionals who are employed in the NBA.

u2sarajevo
12-19-2006, 11:48 AM
The fact that some of you are wondering how to get around the refs makes me wonder why you bother watching the NBA? If it's going to be decided by people not actually playing the game why bother?

If I thought that way I certainly wouldn't watch.

Usually Lurkin
12-19-2006, 12:09 PM
The fact that some of you are wondering how to get around the refs makes me wonder why you bother watching the NBA? If it's going to be decided by people not actually playing the game why bother?

If I thought that way I certainly wouldn't watch.

I'm absolutely convinced that the Mavs were flat out cheated last spring. But I still watch because I love to watch basketball, and someday (soon, hopefully) the games will be called fair.

If you can watch today's NBA and think that reflove isn't an important factor in the game, you are only watching half the game - and why would you bother to watch at all if you are only going to watch half a game ;) ?

u2sarajevo
12-19-2006, 12:12 PM
It all sounds like bitterness to me because our team lost.

I understand there were non-fouls called in their favor but I can point that out in every game. Alot of people think that the fact that the non-calls mostly favored a single player it was an obvious hijacking by the refs. I saw it as a player that was dominating and taking over, therefore he got the calls (ie... he had the ball most often).

Usually Lurkin
12-19-2006, 12:19 PM
It all sounds like bitterness to me because our team lost.

I understand there were non-fouls called in their favor but I can point that out in every game. Alot of people think that the fact that the non-calls mostly favored a single player it was an obvious hijacking by the refs. I saw it as a player that was dominating and taking over, therefore he got the calls (ie... he had the ball most often).
Wade's ft attempts almost doubled over previous series' (already obscenely high) ft totals. If he was getting poor calls in his favor as a matter of statistical distribution (just because he had the ball most) shouldn't he have had calls go against him (phantom charges, travelling, defensive non-calls, double dribbles, etc.) twice as often, balancing it out?

On the other hand, Dirk was beaten like a rug, and Devon couldn't buy a call.

Flacolaco
12-19-2006, 12:24 PM
I agree with u2. last year....Wade took over. (how did we go from Iverson to this?)

but there's more than one way to skin a cat (so to speak). That's one way to win(the dominating superstar), Another way is the system Avery has in place. Team defense. Dirk Nowitzki. They can get it done.

Adding Iverson is an unknown that is just too risky.

MFFL
12-19-2006, 12:32 PM
in 04 they had 1 all star didnt they? Ben Wallace?

Didn't they make a mid-season trade for another All-Star talent? Rasheed Wallace.

Thespiralgoeson
12-19-2006, 02:48 PM
I agree with u2. last year....Wade took over. (how did we go from Iverson to this?)

Wade did take over... and so did Steve Javie.

Adding Iverson is an unknown that is just too risky.

What? How exactly is adding a top 5 player "too risky?"

Are you honestly telling me that we have a better chance with Devin Harris than we would with Allen f*cking Iverson? Seriously.

Usually Lurkin
12-19-2006, 03:33 PM
it's easy to take over when all calls go against the other team. If the defender gets called for a foul even when he's scrambling out of your way, you'll take it to the rim without worry. If the defender gets called for a fould every time you fall down, then you'll probably shoot every jump shot possible, and just drop to the ground afterward. It's easy to take over when the refs give you those second chances.

u2sarajevo
12-19-2006, 04:16 PM
So UL.... you keep watching the NBA hoping that this year the ref's will let us win?

Flacolaco
12-19-2006, 04:23 PM
So UL.... you keep watching the NBA hoping that this year the ref's will let us win?

it's his "christmas wish"