PDA

View Full Version : McGrady leaves game with a familiar feeling

dirt_dobber
12-10-2006, 07:12 AM
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bk/bkn/4391554.html

McGrady leaves game with a familiar feeling
Back spasms force early exit, but pain not as bad as last year, he says

WASHINGTON - With that familiar pain shooting through his back, Tracy McGrady knew just what had gone wrong.

He had felt that pain too often before to wonder. So he stood in the spot he landed, bending over slowly, the back spasms that had stolen so much of last season from him seizing him again.

"Spasms. Back spasms," McGrady said. "I lost my footing a little bit, and it shot spasms through my back immediately."

McGrady missed 35 games last season. Spasms knocked him out beginning with the regular season's first practice, and a back injury ended his season on March 8.

With roughly seven minutes left in Saturday's 114-109 win over the Wizards, McGrady landed on Gilbert Arenas' foot, immediately reached for his lower back and had to be helped off the court.

He left the arena hunched over and moving carefully but saying the pain was not as severe as last season.

"I think it's a little different," McGrady said. "The pain level is definitely different. Before, it was to the point I really couldn't tolerate the pain. I feel pretty good walking around right now. I just can't extend my body all the way up because of the spasms in my back. But I'm going to get on the treatment tonight, tomorrow and Monday and see how I feel.

"Last year, it was really painful. It was hard to either sit down or stand up and walk around. This is definitely different from what I went through last year. I'm real confident I'll be back on the court Tuesday."

Given the unpredictable nature of spasms, the Rockets could not estimate that McGrady would be ready to play Tuesday against the Lakers or be out much longer. But his teammates spoke of the possibility of another stretch without him.

"Obviously, it's not good," coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "But I don't want anything to detract from what the guys did tonight. And Tracy he played on the fourth game in five nights an energetic, really good game. We'll see where he is in the coming days.

"We're happy with the win, but you know. We'll see."

jonathan.feigen@chron.com
By JONATHAN FEIGEN
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

TheBlueVan
12-10-2006, 07:49 AM
the beginning of the end, spasms are chronic sometimes. TMac will never be the same player

birdsanctuary
12-10-2006, 09:47 AM
This reminds me of Larry Bird in the last few years. Chronic back spasms are not good...

Windmill360
12-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Not long before Nash gets the same feeling.

nashtymavsfan13
12-10-2006, 04:31 PM
This is why I'm not worried about the Rockets.

FINtastic
12-10-2006, 05:27 PM
Tracy was a darn good player and seemed like a decent dude. It's sad to see a career like his get derailed by back problems.

dude1394
12-10-2006, 06:17 PM
This is why I'm not worried about the Rockets.

I'm worried about 'em in the short run but not the long run. T-mac unfortunately is done.

Tokey41
12-10-2006, 06:59 PM
Seriously, if you didn't see this coming your either a Rockets homer or stupid. Mcgrady IS done, and for the record... he was overated anyway.

Dirkadirkastan
12-10-2006, 07:03 PM
He had his 35 seconds of fame.

tmac1yao11
12-11-2006, 06:44 PM
We still have Yao who can dominate by himself. And it now looks like Bonzi might be back on the ship again. I wont fret just yet.

dude1394
12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
We still have Yao who can dominate by himself. And it now looks like Bonzi might be back on the ship again. I wont fret just yet.

Better start.

WraithXx
12-12-2006, 07:43 AM
the game where Tracy had like 11 points in 13 seconds or whatever it was to win at the end against San Antonio was just legendary

and he gained a lot of respect from me when we played them in the 1st round in 2005

MavsX
12-12-2006, 07:46 AM
Tracy was a darn good player and seemed like a decent dude. It's sad to see a career like his get derailed by back problems.

i knew there was a problem when i heard his name "tracy"...yeah ugh thats a girls name dude...

MavsX
12-12-2006, 07:47 AM

thats because your drunk....or and idiot...

TheDiggler
12-12-2006, 08:45 AM
Tracy and his back is a 8 year issue that never stopped him from busting up bad defenses around the league. (and the Mavs were on that last until Avery took over) Last year was really bad, but why is everyone suprised this happened....or doubting that he can't be super productive? This has been going on for the majority of his career. I'm just glad that he's not the first option........Yao is last I checked. So yes, it's frustating that it's every year, but I'll ride with his 22pts 6 and 6 any day of the week.

tmac1yao11
12-12-2006, 08:49 AM
thats because your drunk....or and idiot...

Wow so that is how you guys treat visitors?

All I am saying is that we are a deeper team this year and the loss of McGrady wont hurt as much as it did last year. We have already beaten the CAVS handily when Mcgrady went out hurt. Against the Wizards when we lost him in the 4th quarter at their place Yao more than carried us to the tune of a 23 point 4th quarter.

MavsX
12-12-2006, 09:14 AM
Wow so that is how you guys treat visitors?

All I am saying is that we are a deeper team this year and the loss of McGrady wont hurt as much as it did last year. We have already beaten the CAVS handily when Mcgrady went out hurt. Against the Wizards when we lost him in the 4th quarter at their place Yao more than carried us to the tune of a 23 point 4th quarter.

well i guess the fact of the matter is we don't care what you think or say. I don't waste my time going and posting on the rockets board, about how sweet the mavs are. Regardless you can post what you want, but you have to realize that this is our board, and you may just get hazed the entire time you're here...

tmac1yao11
12-12-2006, 09:26 AM
well i guess the fact of the matter is we don't care what you think or say. I don't waste my time going and posting on the rockets board, about how sweet the mavs are. Regardless you can post what you want, but you have to realize that this is our board, and you may just get hazed the entire time you're here...

Not sure why you would want to give some unprovoked hazing but I guess that is your perogative. I thought this was the Around the NBA forum and not the "DALLAS Mavs Only forum." I figured it was ok to give opinions in here since there was a seperate forum for it. I really could understand if I was posting this in the Dallas Mavericks game action forum. You may not care but I would be willing to bet there are those that do.

MavsX
12-12-2006, 09:50 AM
Not sure why you would want to give some unprovoked hazing but I guess that is your perogative. I thought this was the Around the NBA forum and not the "DALLAS Mavs Only forum." I figured it was ok to give opinions in here since there was a seperate forum for it. I really could understand if I was posting this in the Dallas Mavericks game action forum. You may not care but I would be willing to bet there are those that do.

regardless..take your beating like a man!

dude1394
12-12-2006, 10:51 AM

Well you gave your opinion and others gave theirs. They think you are full of it. They think that t-mac's back is going to cause the rockettes grief for many years and that he's done. Most think a max-contract guy sitting in street clothes is a problem. Somehow you think the rockettes are championship material without him.

Okay...dream on.

Dirkadirkastan
12-12-2006, 11:01 AM

Do you share the same name as this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBJhdWAmZeM

tmac1yao11
12-12-2006, 12:26 PM
Well you gave your opinion and others gave theirs. They think you are full of it. They think that t-mac's back is going to cause the rockettes grief for many years and that he's done. Most think a max-contract guy sitting in street clothes is a problem. Somehow you think the rockettes are championship material without him.

Okay...dream on.
Nope never said they were championship material without him. All I said was that I wouldnt fret yet. Even the Rocket players themselves believe that this year's team wont feel the negative effect as much as it did when he was out for 34 games due to his back injury.

http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_counting_on_improved_t-199635-34.html

HOUSTON -- The Rockets aren't sure how long Tracy McGrady will be out of the lineup with back spasms, but the team knows it won't have the NBA's two-time scoring champion Tuesday night against the Los Angeles Lakers.

Time to panic? Not quite.

Despite struggling last season when McGrady was in-and-out of the lineup, the Rockets believe they are better equipped to withstand whatever amount of time the star misses this season with his latest back injury.

McGrady missed 34 games in the 2005-06 season with recurring back problems.

"I think it would be wrong of us to think, 'Here we go again,'" Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy said. "I think Tracy is in a better place mentally and I think our team, with Yao (Ming) and Rafer (Alston) healthy and Shane (Battier added to the team), is in a much different place."

McGrady, who left Saturday's game shortly after challenging a jump shot by Washington's Gilbert Arenas, did not practice Monday and Van Gundy said he wasn't sure how much time McGrady might miss due to his back spasms.

While the news of McGrady's back problems resurfacing might have sounded off alarms around the NBA, the Rockets don't believe a significant slide down the standings is looming without their six-time All-Star.

The Rockets (14-6) will certainly miss McGrady's scoring and playmaking capabilities, but Van Gundy's bunch is healthier overall and has already proven to be one of the league's strongest defensive teams.

Houston was 7-25 when McGrady wasn't on the court in 2005-06.

"I believe we're more prepared because this is a different team," Rockets center Yao Ming said. "Last year, when Tracy was out, we didn't have Rafer Alston because he was injured and we didn't have Shane Battier. I think this is a totally different team."

The biggest change might actually be in Yao.

Besides enjoying the best start of his NBA career, the Rockets center has proven over the past month that he is more than capable of carrying the offense when McGrady is struggling -- or out of the lineup.

"It's a lot of pressure," Yao said. "But I feel like I know how to handle it."

During Saturday's win over Washington, Yao showed as much. He scored 23 of his season-high 38 points in the fourth quarter to help pull out a close win. The team played the final six minutes without McGrady.

The Rockets have won two other games this season in which McGrady didn't finish because of an injury.

"It changes our team obviously," Rockets forward Shane Battier said of playing without McGrady. "T-Mac creates so many opportunities for everyone else. We have to be precise on the offensive end and utilize Yao. We have to play off Yao a lot more."

The Rockets, however, believe they're more than capable of playing well without McGrady than they were last season.

"The good teams in this league adjust to adversity," Battier said. "Every team in this league has injuries at some point in the year. The bad teams make excuses out of it, but the good teams find a way to overcome that. We got to rally our guys and play the same way that we have over the past couple of weeks."

Can we win more without him this year than we win won without him last year? I believe so. Can we win a championship without him? Highly doubtful. I am still highly doubtful with him in the lineup that we are championship contenders. I need more of a datapoint than the first quarter of the season to call us contenders but I do believe we are headed the right direction. And with Yao playing at an MVP caliber rate helps alot.

Tokey41
12-12-2006, 01:22 PM
Opinions are great here, but its pretty clear that the majority feel the Rockets are done without him, which makes sense since this is primarily a Maverick forum.

My question to Rocket fans is... what do you suggest your team do about it? I myself have started hating Tmac over the years because it was clear to me he would never be the driving player he was... and his jumpshot didn't seem too lethal as time went on, yet everyone still praised him as amazing! But now what? I don't think Yao will ever be able to win a title as the lone star on the team.

tmac1yao11
12-12-2006, 02:44 PM
Opinions are great here, but its pretty clear that the majority feel the Rockets are done without him, which makes sense since this is primarily a Maverick forum.

My question to Rocket fans is... what do you suggest your team do about it? I myself have started hating Tmac over the years because it was clear to me he would never be the driving player he was... and his jumpshot didn't seem too lethal as time went on, yet everyone still praised him as amazing! But now what? I don't think Yao will ever be able to win a title as the lone star on the team.

Yao may not win as the lone star on the team but if we can put good shooters around him then I think he will have a good chance. We are also banking on the fact that Yao keeps improving every year.

Yao

02-3: 13.5 p, 8.2 r, 1.7 a, 1.8 b, & 29.0 m
03-4: 17.5 p, 9.0 r, 1.5 a, 1.9 b, & 32.8 m
04-5: 18.3 p, 8.4 r, 0.8 a, 2.0 b, & 30.6 m
05-6: 22.6 p, 10.3 r, 1.5 a, 1.6 b, & 34.7 m
06-7: 25.7 p, 9.6 r, 2.0 a, 1.8 b, & 35.0 m

As far as Tracy, all we can do is hope that he can at least play enough to get us into the playoffs and then after that we will see. A 70% Mcgrady is alot better than most teams first option let alone 2nd option. At least with him in the lineup he can be the dominant distributor thats gets his teammates "quality shots". It does bother me that he sits at the perimeter shooting jumpers all day without him attacking the rim but he actually had improved in that category in the last two games. He was posting up and slashing more and now we see where it got him. At least we are a deeper team this year.

Bonzi is also now off the inactive list and should see some game action tonight. In time, I believe his presence alone will keep us afloat until TMac returns. With Bonzi in the lineup that will gives two bonafide 20 pt scorers still. His offensive rebounding and post up game is what the doctor ordered as well. Our defense will keep us in most games and it will be the fact that we can execute our offensive gameplan in crunchtime.

dude1394
12-12-2006, 06:30 PM
They'll have a good chance to get into the playoffs and beat in the first round if mcgrady isn't healthy.

CheezeyBoy22
12-23-2006, 08:56 AM
Many of us in Houston feel that maybe T-Mac is probably done for his career. But after seeing what they did against the Spurs, i think everyone should consider the fight that's in the Rockets. With Yao playing like a MVP and Bonzi slowly but surely getting into shape, they have a great chance to make some noise.

With that being said, it would be stupid to make it seem like their going to make a run at the title.

Drbio
12-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Houstonians can suck t.

CheezeyBoy22
12-23-2006, 11:34 AM
Sounds like you woke up on the wrong side of the rock.

Drbio
12-23-2006, 02:34 PM
No...I had a wonderful night of rest...esp after all the beer that was consumed yesterday, but thank you for your concern.

I do however recognize that Houston fans can suck the big hairy chubby. They seem to get off on that. I've yet to meet a Houston fan who couldn't resist being the penultimate jagoff in another teams forum. They are like a tick on your ass that you cannot quite reach to get it off. They only come in to gloat when things are going well (which is very rare) and they disappear the second someone hands them their ass. They can't spell, they have no original thoughts, they usually smell like a combination of Brut by Faberge and dog vomit. Their moms are not of MILF quality and they generally lack the intelligence quotient of a roll of toilet paper. They often lack the cognitive ability of a three year old and sometimes when you are not looking they pick their noses and eat it. They are known to lick their fingers after dropping a duece, they eat yellow snow and there are at least eleven documented cases of TMac nuthuggers choking on condom wrappers. They think Juwan Howard is sexy, love to paint their faces in organic hummus and make cookies out of the downtown bird droppings. In a nutshell....Houstonians can suck it.

I'll have more anecdotal evidence later of you need it.

ty
12-23-2006, 03:20 PM
Can we win more without him this year than we win won without him last year? I believe so. Can we win a championship without him? Highly doubtful. I am still highly doubtful with him in the lineup that we are championship contenders. I need more of a datapoint than the first quarter of the season to call us contenders but I do believe we are headed the right direction. And with Yao playing at an MVP caliber rate helps alot.

You're an idiot for believing all that you read. The lamest part is you take it from a bias source...Damien Pierce, an unknown Rockets.com Staff Writer. That's just wonderful.

Also regarding your lame article, I'm quite sure Kobe was the clutch player in that double overtime game and Yao...was not.

mcgradykillsmav
12-23-2006, 05:13 PM
ya mcgrady's back keeps getting worse and worse..

Murphy3
12-23-2006, 05:25 PM
You're an idiot for believing all that you read. The lamest part is you take it from a bias source...Damien Pierce, an unknown Rockets.com Staff Writer. That's just wonderful.

Also regarding your lame article, I'm quite sure Kobe was the clutch player in that double overtime game and Yao...was not.
Ty, come on.. Let's be nice to one another...

Drbio
12-23-2006, 06:02 PM
ya mcgrady's back keeps getting worse and worse..

That's because most Houston fans hang off his front.

mcgradykillsmav
12-23-2006, 06:18 PM
That's because most Houston fans hang off his front.

geez i didn't know that you were THAT bitter about our 2 rings...

Drbio
12-23-2006, 06:21 PM
Your rings?

It's lame to come to another teams site and boast about something YOU had no part in getting. Damn lame. But that is yet another characteristic of a Houston dope. Plus...they love to live in the past when they aren't hanging off Tmac's nutsack.

Houston trolls suck at trolling too.

dude1394
12-23-2006, 06:44 PM
geez i didn't know that you were THAT bitter about our 2 rings...

Good grief troll...that was a decade ago, what in the world does it have to do with today? Your "team" is full of players who can't get out of a first round series, starting with McGrady, one of the biggest failures in the NBA.

mcgradykillsmav
12-23-2006, 08:14 PM
geez some of you guys took it personally and are throwing a hissy fit like nodicksky...

nashtymavsfan13
12-23-2006, 08:19 PM
The Rockets are screwed:

Yao injures right knee, leaves game

December 23, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Yao Ming injured his right knee and left in the first quarter of Houston's game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday night.

Yao was leaping for a blocked shot as Chuck Hayes and Tim Thomas hit the floor beneath him. Yao's knee appeared to get caught under Thomas' body and Yao immediately grabbed his knee and screamed in pain.

Trainer Keith Jones left the Rockets' bench to check on Yao and team doctors joined him. Rockets officials brought out a cart, but Yao limped off the floor, with teammate Bonzi Wells helping him

Yao is off to the best start of his career, averaging 27 points and nine rebounds. He had topped 30 points in four consecutive games before scoring 22 in Friday's 97-78 victory at San Antonio.

The Rockets were already playing without six-time All-Star Tracy McGrady, who sat out for the seventh straight game with back spasms.

bernardos70
12-23-2006, 08:31 PM
Don't worry, he's already sprained his ankles several times, he'll be back next game...... oops, wrong player. Let's see when he comes back, he is having a monster year, which unfortunately doesn't help with the trolls, but I hope all is well with him.

u2sarajevo
12-23-2006, 09:00 PM
geez some of you guys took it personally and are throwing a hissy fit like nodicksky...bye.

To other Houston fans on the board..... you can post here no problem. However I would suggest not following your fellow Rocket fan's example here of appropriate decorum for an opposing team fan on this board.

We'll put up with you, but when you resort to trying to start crap with stuff like this your just proving your intentions are to troll.... so your account will be banned.

Thanks for your attention. That's all. Play nice.

shaw-xx
12-23-2006, 09:15 PM
Well, hope Yao will be OK though.

MavsX
12-23-2006, 10:15 PM
bye.

To other Houston fans on the board..... you can post here no problem. However I would suggest not following your fellow Rocket fan's example here of appropriate decorum for an opposing team fan on this board.

We'll put up with you, but when you resort to trying to start crap with stuff like this your just proving your intentions are to troll.... so your account will be banned.

i was about to give that jackass negative rep. but i guess you gave him the 'ultimate' negative rep..

thanks u2 :)

shaw-xx
12-23-2006, 10:28 PM
i was about to give that jackass negative rep. but i guess you gave him the 'ultimate' negative rep..

thanks u2 :)
LOL, just noticed it.

tmac1yao11
12-23-2006, 11:08 PM
The Rockets are screwed:

Yao injures right knee, leaves game

December 23, 2006

HOUSTON (AP) -- Yao Ming injured his right knee and left in the first quarter of Houston's game against the Los Angeles Clippers on Saturday night.

Yao was leaping for a blocked shot as Chuck Hayes and Tim Thomas hit the floor beneath him. Yao's knee appeared to get caught under Thomas' body and Yao immediately grabbed his knee and screamed in pain.

Trainer Keith Jones left the Rockets' bench to check on Yao and team doctors joined him. Rockets officials brought out a cart, but Yao limped off the floor, with teammate Bonzi Wells helping him

Yao is off to the best start of his career, averaging 27 points and nine rebounds. He had topped 30 points in four consecutive games before scoring 22 in Friday's 97-78 victory at San Antonio.

The Rockets were already playing without six-time All-Star Tracy McGrady, who sat out for the seventh straight game with back spasms.

Now I would definitely agree we are screwed now. It just keeps getting worse and Yao was having his best year. Oden anyone?

Drbio
12-23-2006, 11:11 PM
The Rockettes always play just well enough to screw themselves out of a lotto pick. Oden won't be in Texas period without a trade. I figure Oden is probably headed to Memphis.

rabbitproof
12-23-2006, 11:12 PM
Oh man. Oden and Yao would redefine Twin Towers.

nashtymavsfan13
12-23-2006, 11:30 PM
bye.

Pwned!

Drbio
12-23-2006, 11:38 PM
Oden at any team in Texas would be freaky scary. Think about it.

dude1394
12-23-2006, 11:42 PM
geez some of you guys took it personally and are throwing a hissy fit like nodicksky...

Bad karma to come trolling on another teams message board. See what you've done to Yao!

MavsX
12-23-2006, 11:55 PM

If I was you, I would quit showing your face around here...it's just plain embarrassing. Maybe next year sucker.. oh and eat my ass.

bernardos70
12-24-2006, 12:04 AM
Wow, talk about bad Karma.

Drbio
12-24-2006, 12:10 AM
If it is karma, Bonzi Wells is screwed. ;)