PDA

View Full Version : Rookie's Career Comes To An End

StackAttack
01-02-2007, 09:22 AM
http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070101bullsbrite,1,3892239.story?coll=cs-home-headlines

Andriuskevicius is never expected to play again. Pretty damn sad.

MavKikiNYC
01-02-2007, 09:37 AM
Which is why Anthony's, Robinson's and Thomas' suspensions should've been a lot, lot longer.

HexNBA
01-02-2007, 09:45 AM
That doesnt sound at all like his career has come to an end. It might, but then again he might also get to be fine in due time. Also he's not a rookie but a second year player.

Drbio
01-02-2007, 09:51 AM
Storey should have been jailed for that assualt.

HexNBA
01-02-2007, 09:55 AM
Yeah no kidding

capitalcity
01-02-2007, 10:44 AM
Another victim of the hip-hop NBA.

Murphy3
01-02-2007, 10:46 AM
This is why I find so much disgust in anyone that defended that piece of shit Carmello Anthony. Sucker punching someone like that can take away someone's livelihood and possibly even their life.

dirno2000
01-02-2007, 11:07 AM
Because the Anthony puch wasn't a sucker punch. He and Collins exchanged words as Anthony was being pulled away. As soon as he Carmello was able to get close enough, he punch him. But Collins never turned his back to Anthony. He initiated then further incited an incident that let to a physical exchange so he should have been prepared.

This as is a totally different situation as Andriuskevicius turned his head and didn't expect to get hit.

capitalcity
01-02-2007, 11:13 AM
Of course I chimed in without knowing what happened to andri - somebody wanna fill me in.

nevermind http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2717155

Video?

bernardos70
01-02-2007, 12:13 PM
They probably weren't taping the practice of the NBDL team, cc.

This is so fubared. Incredible how retarded some people can be. You have been given a golden opportunity and instead of taking advantage, you decide to throw it all away. Clearly this 'tard does not deserve to be in the NBDL, much less the NBA. Stupid thug. Awvee Storey, I'll keep that name in mind.

antoinewalker
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
This is why I find so much disgust in anyone that defended that piece of shit Carmello Anthony. Sucker punching someone like that can take away someone's livelihood and possibly even their life.melo didn't sucker punch collins. they exchanged words and collins saw melo's punch coming. he was just sticking up for his teammate who took a hard, cheap foul. collins was asking for it.

i wish andriuskevicius all the best. hopefully, he'll be able to play basketball again.

Murphy3
01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
It was a sucker punch...and 'melo is a worthless piece of shit.

Do you have any more questions?

Murphy3
01-02-2007, 01:12 PM
melo didn't sucker punch collins. they exchanged words and collins saw melo's punch coming. he was just sticking up for his teammate who took a hard, cheap foul. collins was asking for it.

i wish andriuskevicius all the best. hopefully, he'll be able to play basketball again.
He was asking for it? How f'ing stupid are you? Just because two people are mouthing and a very minor incident had previously occurred along with some mouthing doesn't mean that he was 'asking' for it. Is that your answer for everything? So, when an incident starts to cool down, the best way to then respond is to hit someone? You're an idiot.

dirno2000
01-02-2007, 01:15 PM
How can you sucker punch someone when they're looking right at you and they're aware that you're trying to hit them?

I'll answer my own question...you can't.

Murphy3
01-02-2007, 01:23 PM
Just because you're looking in someone's direction does not mean that you're expecting a punch. And that's what a sucker punch is..an unexpected punch. I've argued with many people in my life while looking directly at them. If they were to punch me, I wouldn't have had time to prepare myself for it and yes..it would have been a sucker punch.

What, do you think a sucker punch can only occur when someone is looking a different direction? Does it make Anthony any less of a pussy to take a cheap sucker punch at someone because they were looking at him instead of looking somewhere else?

kg_veteran
01-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Because the Anthony puch wasn't a sucker punch. He and Collins exchanged words as Anthony was being pulled away. As soon as he Carmello was able to get close enough, he punch him. But Collins never turned his back to Anthony. He initiated then further incited an incident that let to a physical exchange so he should have been prepared.

dirno, you are usually right on the money, but I can't understand your position here. If a bunch of people were throwing punches, then perhaps I'd agree with you. But most of the players on the floor were trying to defuse the situation, and then Anthony came flying in and hit Collins while he was just standing there -- and then he ran away!

It was a sucker punch, and a cowardly sucker punch at that.

This as is a totally different situation as Andriuskevicius turned his head and didn't expect to get hit.

It was different in the sense that Andriuskevicius was completely unaware that anyone was coming at him, but I seriously doubt that Collins knew Anthony would actually try and punch him. There is somewhat of a code of conduct in those situations, and blows are RARELY exchanged, because all of the players know what the result will be. What Anthony did was completely unexpected, and I don't know how you can honestly argue that Collins should have been ready to get punched in the face under those circumstances.

dirno2000
01-02-2007, 01:49 PM
I think we're in agreement on what a sucker punch is. I too have been in arguements where I would have been suprised and unprepared to get hit. A few times on the basketball court.

The distinction here is that the situation has already become physical and punches has already been thrown (although not landed). At that point, you have to think that if a guy is trying to get to you like Carmello was, he may hit you if he gets a the chance.

When there's violence in the air you have to be on edge. My guess is that in the situation(s) you're referencing, your friends hadn't been fighting his friends.

MavKikiNYC
01-02-2007, 01:59 PM
I think we're in agreement on what a sucker punch is. I too have been in arguements where I would have been suprised and unprepared to get hit. A few times on the basketball court.

The distinction here is that the situation has already become physical and punches has already been thrown (although not landed). At that point, you have to think that if a guy is trying to get to you like Carmello was, he may hit you if he gets a the chance.

When there's violence in the air you have to be on edge. My guess is that in the situation(s) you're referencing, your friends hadn't been fighting his friends.
Dirno, wasn't Collins being held back by a Nugget (Nájera?)? And wasn't Aguirre trying to hold back Anthony? From what I recall it looked like Anthony reached around Aguirre, and hit Collins who was being restrained by Nájera. I don't think it's clear at all that Collins was expecting anyone to throw a punch.

I think that's pretty much why anyone (with good sense) that I"ve heard comment about the incident characterized Anthony's actions as cowardly/cheap shot/and/or "sucker punch"---maybe not the prototypical snese of the concept, but taking a shot at someone who wasn't expecting it nonetheless.

BTW, I'd have been a helluva lot more forgiving if he had popped Thomas right in the face 3 or 4 times when Thomas started mouthing off to him--either before Collins' foul that started the whole thing, or afterward when Thomas was talking to him with that shit-eating expression on his face. Pop...pop.....pop.
I'd have even contributed $20 to his fine fund.

dirno2000
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
dirno, you are usually right on the money, but I can't understand your position here. If a bunch of people were throwing punches, then perhaps I'd agree with you. But most of the players on the floor were trying to defuse the situation, and then Anthony came flying in and hit Collins while he was just standing there -- and then he ran away!

It was a sucker punch, and a cowardly sucker punch at that.

It was different in the sense that Andriuskevicius was completely unaware that anyone was coming at him, but I seriously doubt that Collins knew Anthony would actually try and punch him. There is somewhat of a code of conduct in those situations, and blows are RARELY exchanged, because all of the players know what the result will be. What Anthony did was completely unexpected, and I don't know how you can honestly argue that Collins should have been ready to get punched in the face under those circumstances.

I agree that running away wasn't the most manly thing to do.

I don't think that it came out of the blue. As I recall, Carmello got in Collins' face and they exchanged words before Carmello was pulled away. He then got around Mark Aquire (not hard to do) and punched and unrestrained Collins.

I agree that there's an unwritten rule that talking is just talking. Happens in pickup games all the way up to the NBA level.

But when the situation becomes violent, all that goes out the window and you have to be prepared.

Understand, I'm not saying that Carmello should have hit him. I just don't see how it can be called a sucker punch.

dirno2000
01-02-2007, 02:13 PM
I think that's pretty much why anyone (with good sense) that I"ve heard comment about the incident characterized Anthony's actions as cowardly/cheap shot/and/or "sucker punch"---maybe not the prototypical snese of the concept, but taking a shot at someone who wasn't expecting it nonetheless.

I guess good sense is relative. Here's Bill Simmons in his chat the next day.

Bill Simmons: Agreed - bad decision and it hurt all the progress he made on and off the court in 2006. At the same time, it was NOT a sucker punch. They had been jawing at one another and Collins was clearly egging him on. The problem was that Melo punched him, then backed up 75 feet like a wuss. If you're going to punch someone, don't run away afterwards ... that was a cowardly move on his part. With that said, 15 games is ludicrous.

Dirkadirkastan
01-02-2007, 02:29 PM
BTW, I'd have been a helluva lot more forgiving if he had popped Thomas right in the face 3 or 4 times when Thomas started mouthing off to him--either before Collins' foul that started the whole thing, or afterward when Thomas was talking to him with that shit-eating expression on his face. Pop...pop.....pop.
I'd have even contributed $20 to his fine fund.

Oh shut up. Morality doesn't change just because the target is someone YOU have a beef with. Has it ever occurred to you that some players view each other the way you think of Thomas? If you think it's justified to take anger out on Thomas, then by that logic, EVERY fight is justified. Seeing you talk like this is just sickening.

MavKikiNYC
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
I guess good sense is relative. Here's Bill Simmons in his chat the next day.

Bill Simmons: Agreed - bad decision and it hurt all the progress he made on and off the court in 2006. At the same time, it was NOT a sucker punch. They had been jawing at one another and Collins was clearly egging him on. The problem was that Melo punched him, then backed up 75 feet like a wuss. If you're going to punch someone, don't run away afterwards ... that was a cowardly move on his part. With that said, 15 games is ludicrous.

Here's where I'd diverge with Simmons---if Anthony had put up his fists, signalling his intent to hit Collins, and given Collins a chance to assume a defensive posture, then let punches fly, I wouldn't think it was a sucker punch.

But Anthony knew/sensed if he did that, he'd be restrained by one of the players, coaches, referrees, or security personnel who were out there on the floor. He took advantage of the brawl-type atmosphere of the situation to get his shot off, taking Collins unaware.

The running off to the safety of his team's bench afterward merely compounded the breach of fight etiquette.

FWIW, re: good sense, I've seen (elsewhere) a couple of responses that just mindlessly endorsed what Anthony did. Not a reasonable difference on the meaning of "sucker punch".

kriD
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
Video of the brawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDXTCfZFPg

kg_veteran
01-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Video of the brawl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBDXTCfZFPg

That video makes it pretty clear that there were several people trying to stand in between Anthony and Collins, and Anthony ran around them and took a free swing while Collins was slowly walking in the general direction of his bench.

antoinewalker
01-02-2007, 05:51 PM
He was asking for it? How f'ing stupid are you? Just because two people are mouthing and a very minor incident had previously occurred along with some mouthing doesn't mean that he was 'asking' for it. Is that your answer for everything? So, when an incident starts to cool down, the best way to then respond is to hit someone? You're an idiot.

mardy collins was asking for it when he gave j.r. smith a cheap, hard foul. you don't foul someone like that and not expect anything to happen. you're an idiot if you consider that a "minor" incident. i can't believe how you're not blaming mardy collings for the whole incident. had mardy never committed the foul, the whole altercation wouldn't have happened, would you agree?

nashtymavsfan13
01-02-2007, 07:12 PM
Sad story, I hope he's able to play again. I found it nice of him to actually forgive him instead of pressing charges, even though the player who hit him should be jailed.

mary
01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
mardy collins was asking for it when he gave j.r. smith a cheap, hard foul. you don't foul someone like that and not expect anything to happen. you're an idiot if you consider that a "minor" incident. i can't believe how you're not blaming mardy collings for the whole incident. had mardy never committed the foul, the whole altercation wouldn't have happened, would you agree?

It was a hard foul, it was flagrant - it was like a hundred other hard flagrant fouls I've witnessed in the NBA. If Robinson and Anthony hadn't escelated the situation - I seriously doubt anything would came of it. Things were being handled by the refs.

Of course the foul itself was a "minor" incident - if you don't think so, you probably haven't seen alot of NBA games in your life.

Did you watch last year's playoffs AT ALL? Do you remember the clothesline Raja Bell delivered to Kobe? It was much more vicious. Bell got a game and Kobe was at least smart enough to remember he was a professional athlete, and not some school kid getting into a fight on the playground.

Collins shouldn't have even been suspended more than one or two games.

FreakNasty
01-03-2007, 12:42 AM
That was a cheap shot by Melo. Not only was Collins walking towards the bench with people in between him and melo, his hands were at his side. When your fists are down, your guard is down allowing for a cheap shot.

SaltwaterChaffy
01-03-2007, 01:32 AM
Another victim of the hip-hop NBA.

*Sigh*

chumdawg
01-03-2007, 02:16 AM
I've seen two people now say that Collins was just walking to the bench, ho-hum. I'm sorry, but if you have just created a brawl, and punches have been thrown, you better be "walking to the bench" (which he wasn't) with your defenses up.

Collins didn't get cheap-shotted. He was in the midst of a melee, and it was obvious that Anthony was more than a little perturbed. Say what you want about Anthony's behavior after the punch, but Collins should have known what might have been coming.

I, for one, thought it was a very entertaining piece of NBA action, and I would certainly be on board for more. I like hockey fights, I like baseball brawls, and I like basketball melees. And I don't cry crocodile tears for a guy who sets it off and gets what it is coming to him.

Thespiralgoeson
01-03-2007, 02:44 AM
So Carmelo Anthony is a piece of shit, huh? Then so is every NHL player ever. Seriously, this is one of the most bizarre double standards in our society. I just can't figure it out. Hockey players beat the shit out of each other every night, and people not only don't condemn this, they cheer it. Yet Carmelo Anthony throws a punch and he's a piece of shit. I just don't get it. Granted, hockey players are wearing padding, but still, doesn't mean you can't still hurt someone.

chumdawg
01-03-2007, 02:57 AM
Who is to say that people didn't cheer it when the Nuggets and Knicks ended up in a melee? I know I did.

Don't listen to sanctimonious message-board bible thumpers. Collins deserved to have his ass beat up on (and he knew it when he did what he did), so I think all is good. If I were a Denver Nugget, I'd be glad that Anthony had my back.

Murphy3
01-03-2007, 09:02 AM
So Carmelo Anthony is a piece of shit, huh? Then so is every NHL player ever. Seriously, this is one of the most bizarre double standards in our society. I just can't figure it out. Hockey players beat the shit out of each other every night, and people not only don't condemn this, they cheer it. Yet Carmelo Anthony throws a punch and he's a piece of shit. I just don't get it. Granted, hockey players are wearing padding, but still, doesn't mean you can't still hurt someone.
Big difference... the players are expecting to fight. There's an enormous difference in hitting someone unexpectedly catching them off guard than with two players squaring off knowing that they're going to go at it.

Get your f'ing head out of your ass.

Murphy3
01-03-2007, 09:08 AM
And as Mary said, flagrant fouls occur on a semi regular basis. His foul was nothing out of the ordinary as far as flagrant fouls go. Yes, he went overboard, but he didn't throw the man to the ground or do anything that would cause serious injury. Yes, I know he grabbed him around the neck, which he obvious shouldn't have done.. But, it really wasn't anything harder than what you see in the NBA.

If you think it was, it's just you trying to justify what the worthless piece of shit CAnthony did. But hey, if you want to bend the truth to justify what he did because your argument has no merit, so be it.