PDA

View Full Version : Pat Riley To Take Leave Of Absence

StackAttack
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
Just reported on Cold Pizza.

Steve13
01-03-2007, 01:37 PM
iami Heat coach Pat Riley will take a leave of absence from the defending champion Miami Heat, NBA sources said Wednesday.

Riley informed the team of his decision Wednesday morning. No immediate successor was named.

The Heat are playing the Los Angeles Clippers Wednesday before leaving on a six-game Western Conference trip.

But insiders say Riley grew overwhelmed with the Heat's losing, at times this season frustrated with the declining level of play and apparent interest of several players. Riley called the Heat the poorest defensive team he's ever had with players frequently missing games with injuries.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/cs-070103smithriley,1,4346410.story?coll=cs-bulls-headlines

StackAttack
01-03-2007, 01:40 PM
Thanks for that link. Wow. I thought it may be something un-basketball related.

THE RETURN OF STAN VAN GUNDY

EDIT: Apparently Miami radio is reporting that Riley's having knee surgery followed by hip surgery and will return after he heals. Ron Rothstein's taking over.

Steve13
01-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Yeah just seen that. I thought he had quit due to the team problems but It is only down to having hip surgery

or Is it?

TripleDipping
01-03-2007, 01:57 PM
So, did he quit because of the chicken shit factor or is he coming back after the surgeries?

u2sarajevo
01-03-2007, 01:58 PM
hip surgery. right.

He doesn't wan't his legacy tarnished.

StackAttack
01-03-2007, 01:59 PM
I guess he's supposed to come back after surgeries, but I really doubt his need for surgery is bad enough for him to just stop coaching during the huge slump his Heat's going through. The losing definitely played a role in his leave of absence.

Steve13
01-03-2007, 02:00 PM
Will be interesting how It pans out and If he does return or not.

StackAttack
01-03-2007, 02:01 PM
http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-riley010306,0,7438723.story?coll=sfla-sports-front

Riley takes leave of absence from Heat

By Ira Winderman
Sun-Sentinel.com
Posted January 3 2007, 1:25 PM EST

For the second time in four years, Heat coach Pat Riley has stepped down at midseason.

A team spokesman confirmed Wednesday that Riley would hand over the team to assistant coach Ron Rothstein because of health issues.

The spokesman said the departure is open-ended, with Riley recently suffering from knee pain, in addition to ongoing hip problems.

A press conference was scheduled for later Wednesday afternoon at AmericanAirlines Arena.

Riley was not immediately available for comment, but spoke earlier in the week about the knee pain that had him hobbled in recent days.

"I've got floating chips," he said. "I've got three or four things that have been floating in there for years. If I get it done, it'll be a day. There's just going to scope it and flush it out.

"I had an MRI the other day. It showed all these lose parts in there and there a little flap I think it exacerbated. Lately it's been locking up and staying there."

Riley previously stepped down as coach Oct. 24 2003, handing the reins over to assistant Stan Van Gundy. He then resumed coaching in December 2006, after Van Gundy resigned citing family reasons.

Rothstein filled in twice for Riley last season, when Riley attended to the death of his mother. Riley then returned to guide the team to the 2006 NBA title.

Rothstein served as the Heat's inaugural coach in 1988 and also coached the franchise's entry in the WNBA, the Miami Sol. He rejoined the franchise as an assistant coach in 2003.

TripleDipping
01-03-2007, 02:10 PM
What a convenient way to chicken out. Riley is crafting a nice little win-win situation for himself.

dirno2000
01-03-2007, 02:33 PM
I'm sure his knee and hip will feel a lot better when (if) Shaq is healthy and in shape.

DubOverdose
01-03-2007, 04:39 PM
There's no way he'll coach the team again unless they turn it around while he's gone. He's just another lame piece to the shitty Heat puzzle.

Dirkadirkastan
01-03-2007, 04:45 PM
First the Heat suck a big one, then Wade conveniently has a boo-boo and needs a band-aid, then Riley quits due to "health issues" that "have been floating in there for years."

Eighteen days until we blow their sorry asses out of the water on national television!

FINtastic
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
I'm sure his knee and hip will feel a lot better when (if) Shaq is healthy and in shape.

So you are saying Riley is going to have knee problems for the rest of his life?

Dirkgreatness
01-03-2007, 04:46 PM
Yep, he'll prob wait till the team starts winning games and everybody is healthy THEN he'll steal the team from whoever is coaching and then he'll lead the heat to GLORY..... Do the Heat have to be such drama queens?

Nemesis
01-03-2007, 05:55 PM
Yep, he'll prob wait till the team starts winning games and everybody is healthy THEN he'll steal the team from whoever is coaching and then he'll lead the heat to GLORY..... Do the Heat have to be such drama queens?

I will go on record as saying this won't happen unless monkeys fly from D-Wade's ass. Then anything is possible...or relative.

She_Growls
01-03-2007, 08:29 PM
How convenient; I use to think that Riley had class.

V2M
01-03-2007, 08:42 PM
Least deserving champions... ever!

Dirkgreatness
01-03-2007, 08:50 PM
I will go on record as saying this won't happen unless monkeys fly from D-Wade's ass. Then anything is possible...or relative.

yep, i agree.

RePLAY
01-04-2007, 03:25 PM
Riley will become very healthy all of a sudden one week b4 the playoff.;)

MightyToine
01-04-2007, 11:24 PM
First the Heat suck a big one, then Wade conveniently has a boo-boo and needs a band-aid, then Riley quits due to "health issues" that "have been floating in there for years."

Eighteen days until we blow their sorry asses out of the water on national television!

Shaq and Wade would be back with the Heat by then.....

V2M
01-05-2007, 10:26 AM
Shaq and Wade would be back with the Heat by then.....

That's precisely how we'd want it... there's no fun in beating the Heat without those two!

dirno2000
01-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Pat Riley's only comments since taking a leave of absence as Miami's coach came on his radio show. Talking about his underachieving team, he said. "They simply don't want to work. . . . If we were 25-2, would I have done it (taken leave of absence)? Probably not."

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepublic/sports/articles/0114nbainsider0114.html

EricaLubarsky
01-14-2007, 05:18 PM
Talk about a loser. The guy has no credibility and no motivation. Quitting on a team is pathetic. Any other coach would be canned.

dirno2000
01-14-2007, 05:19 PM
I'm suprised that he admitted it.

Windmill360
01-14-2007, 05:21 PM
He's only there to take the credit of another coach's work. what a wuss.