PDA

View Full Version : Nuggets dealing Boykins, Hodge to Bucks for Blake

dirt_dobber
01-11-2007, 02:29 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2727760&campaign=rss&source=ESPNHeadlines
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

The Denver Nuggets need some breathing space from luxury-tax territory. The Milwaukee Bucks need backcourt scoring to counter their injury crisis.

That's why the teams, according to NBA front-office sources, are combining on a trade featuring Earl Boykins that will be announced later Thursday.

Now 10 games into the Allen Iverson Era, Denver has agreed to send Boykins and little-used guard Julius Hodge to the Bucks for guard Steve Blake.

The surging Boykins has scored 20 points or more in eight of his 10 games alongside Iverson, but his shots and minutes were certain to dwindle when Carmelo Anthony returns from suspension on Jan. 22. Denver couldn't resist the opportunity to trade him now given that Boykins will soon be its odd man out and more so because this move ensures that the Nuggets will not be paying luxury tax at season's end.

The Nuggets, sources say, had hoped to keep Boykins for a few more games while Anthony completes his 15-game ban. But they had to make the trade immediately because Milwaukee's $4.3 million injury exception created by Bobby Simmons' season-ending ankle and foot surgeries -- its only mechanism for taking back Boykins' contract in this exchange -- expires Friday.

Boykins' arrival will be a welcome boost to the Bucks, who have lost leading scorers Michael Redd (knee) and Mo Williams (shoulder) to injuries in the past week. Redd is expected to miss at least a month, with Williams sidelined two to three weeks. Charlie Villanueva (shoulder) is also out indefinitely and Simmons didn't play a single game this season before it was determined that he'd need two operations.

The Bucks are hoping Boykins' scoring can help keep them in the playoff hunt until Redd and Williams return. The 5-foot-5 dynamo makes $2.95 million this season and is scheduled to earn $3 million next season but has the right to decline his player option and become a free agent July 1.

Milwaukee, sources said, also managed to extract an estimated $700,000 from the Nuggets to pay the remainder of Hodge's $1.2 million salary.

Blake, meanwhile, will get an opportunity to win some back-up minutes in Denver's backcourt, with the Nuggets admittedly looking for pass-first facilitators who can play with Iverson, Anthony and swingman J.R. Smith. The Nuggets also created a $2.95 million trade exception through this transaction because, with Blake being swapped for Hodge, Denver sent out more salary than it received in the trade. The trade exception is good for one year.

TheBlueVan
01-11-2007, 02:54 PM
AI strikes again!

mary
01-11-2007, 03:04 PM
This would be a good deal for the Nuggets.

Steve Blake...would that be THE Steve Blake that lit up the Mavericks last year and forced an OT against them?

bernardos70
01-11-2007, 04:06 PM
Steve Blake originally from Portland, no? If so, good little player.

nashtymavsfan13
01-11-2007, 04:07 PM
Terrible trade by the Nuggets imho. Boykins has been playing great and they could have gotten more.

MavsX
01-11-2007, 04:11 PM
hes so short, hahahaha

he looks so funny out there on the court..too bad he can dunk

some-dude
01-11-2007, 05:37 PM
Terrible trade by the Nuggets imho. Boykins has been playing great and they could have gotten more.

He's gonna be lucky to get much time when they have AI, JR, and Carmelo out on the court...let alone be effective. So for the Nuggets it was #1) A salary dump move, and #2) They get a pass-first ballhandler with decent defense.

And realistically, Boykins and Hodge were no more important to the Nuggets success than Blake will be.

FINtastic
01-11-2007, 05:41 PM
This might be a decent move for the Nuggets. Talent-wise they obviously got the worse end of the bargain. However, Boykins just wasn't going to get enough shots when AI, JR, and Melo were all on the court together, which would leave him pretty ineffective. Blake is a very good passer which will come in handy considering all the scorers the Nuggets have.

StackAttack
01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
...Boykins has been playing awesome. I know once Melo gets back he wouldn't have been getting as many points on the board, but 10-12 PPG is all you need from a guy who's going to ultimately be a bench player. Even if you were going to deal him...Steve Blake?

nashtymavsfan13
01-11-2007, 06:47 PM
He's gonna be lucky to get much time when they have AI, JR, and Carmelo out on the court...let alone be effective. So for the Nuggets it was #1) A salary dump move, and #2) They get a pass-first ballhandler with decent defense.

And realistically, Boykins and Hodge were no more important to the Nuggets success than Blake will be.

I realize he wouldn't be getting many shots, but a 12 ppg type scorer off the bench is still solid. Yes they wanted to dump salary, but they could have done that and gotten more talent in return. Blake's an ok player, but they lost a lot of talent in this trade and I think they certainly could have done better.

some-dude
01-11-2007, 06:59 PM
I realize he wouldn't be getting many shots, but a 12 ppg type scorer off the bench is still solid. Yes they wanted to dump salary, but they could have done that and gotten more talent in return. Blake's an ok player, but they lost a lot of talent in this trade and I think they certainly could have done better.

The Nuggetts success wont hinge on whether or not they have Earl Boykins. They have their core set in stone, and they needed a back-up PG, who can relieve Iverson for 8-10 mins a game, and still play the offense aka getting melo, jr, camby the ball.

Boykins could do that at times, but he was looking to shoot the ball too much and was the sure fire odd man out when Melo returns. Might as well trade him now, get a decent player back, and save some money. Plus, Blake's contract is an expiring contract.

nashtymavsfan13
01-11-2007, 07:01 PM
The Nuggetts success wont hinge on whether or not they have Earl Boykins. They have their core set in stone, and they needed a back-up PG, who can relieve Iverson for 8-10 mins a game, and still play the offense aka getting melo, jr, camby the ball.

Boykins could do that at times, but he was looking to shoot the ball too much and was the sure fire odd man out when Melo returns. Might as well trade him now, get a decent player back, and save some money. Plus, Blake's contract is an expiring contract.

I don't mind their thinking but they could have done better than what they did. I think they lost a lot more talent than they needed too.

dude1394
01-11-2007, 10:35 PM
Iverson hated boykins. He had to go.

Drbio
01-11-2007, 11:09 PM
This might be a decent move for the Nuggets. Talent-wise they obviously got the worse end of the bargain. However, Boykins just wasn't going to get enough shots when AI, JR, and Melo were all on the court together, which would leave him pretty ineffective. Blake is a very good passer which will come in handy considering all the scorers the Nuggets have.

I agree. The Nugs have been trying to move Boykins for 2 years with little interest. Boykins has played well during that time as well. However, he would be the odd man out soon with little likelihood of minutes. Good team move.

dmavs1980
01-11-2007, 11:19 PM
George Karl=Nellie

twelli
01-12-2007, 12:45 AM
Boykins is always fun to watch. I would be happy as a Buck's fan.

I hope the Nuggets fail miserably in the playoffs. I can't stand them (except for NA HA RA RA RA of course).

Same goes for Utah.