PDA

View Full Version : Pistons win sweepstakes, will sign Webber Tuesday

kriD
01-15-2007, 11:49 AM
Pistons win sweepstakes, will sign Webber Tuesday

By Marc Stein
ESPN.com

Chris Webber is headed to Motown.

Webber told ESPN.com that he has chosen to sign with the Detroit Pistons and is flying home Monday to spend Martin Luther King Day with family members.

He can officially sign with the Pistons on Tuesday after clearing waivers.

Webber has been at the center of speculation since being waived by the Philadelphia 76ers on Thursday, with the Lakers, Pistons, Heat, and Mavericks listed among the top candidates for Webber's new home.

"There has been nothing that has turned him against Detroit," Webber's agent, Aaron Goodwin, said in the Detroit News prior to Webber's decision. "Detroit has been professional and aggressive in their pursuit. They have let Chris know how badly they want him, and that's been from Joe (Dumars) to Flip (Saunders) and down to the players.

"Nothing has turned negative against Detroit, other than other Eastern Conference teams not wanting him to go to Detroit," Goodwin said in the News.

The Pistons are 21-14 and in second place in the Central Division.

Webber talked with the Lakers on Saturday.

"It was a good conversation both ways," said Lakers coach Phil Jackson, quoted in the Los Angeles Times on Monday. "He's got a decision to make. He didn't give me any indication. I just told him that he could help us ... He wants significant minutes. I said, 'I don't know what that converts to, but you can have an influence on the team.' That's all any player can really want."

mkat
01-15-2007, 02:38 PM
lucky them.

that'll put them over the top.

aexchange
01-15-2007, 03:53 PM
lucky them.

that'll put them over the top.

LOL.

Drbio
01-15-2007, 04:27 PM
CWebb vs Rashweed at a practice near you.

Darke
01-15-2007, 06:28 PM
http://www.nba.com/pistons/news/webber_070115.html

Quote:

"It’s now likely that the Pistons will attempt to trade one of their spare big men, with Dale Davis, because of his favorable contract, being the easiest to move. Speculation over a possible trade partner includes Minnesota, which is trying to move swingman Marko Jaric; Toronto, which might be willing to deal former Michigan State star Morris Peterson; and Houston, where coach Jeff Van Gundy has been at odds with one-time Pistons draft choice Bonzi Wells." Quote-End

Hm, if they get Wells too, that would be bad. If those characters can play together without ego-clashing they would rule the East.

rakesh.s
01-15-2007, 08:37 PM
bonzi got spree'd

he turned down a 5 year 40 mill deal and now he can't get off the bench with a minimum contract...ouch. Sucks to be him.

The mavs should get Dale Davis and play him as the backup, if Diop doesn't have the fire in him.

MavKikiNYC
01-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Getting SheWebb isn't like kissing your sister.

It's like kissing your sister's a$$.

4cwebb
01-16-2007, 05:35 AM
bonzi got spree'd

he turned down a 5 year 40 mill deal and now he can't get off the bench with a minimum contract...ouch. Sucks to be him.

The mavs should get Dale Davis and play him as the backup, if Diop doesn't have the fire in him.

I haven't been following Mavs' games closely in the past couple of weeks...has Diop not been getting the job done? I wouldn't think that swapping him for Dale Davis would be an even trade for the Mavs.

Agreed on Bonzi, although I may characterize it a bit differently --- Bonzi really "spree'd" himself.

Edit: And, I'm glad that CWebb joined the Pistons...whether or not he will be able to make a real contribution remains to be seen, but at the very least he will have the opportunity to do so...it seemed that was the most important factor in his decision, and I don't think any "contenders" in the West were willing to guarantee him that opportunity (not that I blame any of them).

Steve13
01-16-2007, 11:12 AM
bonzi got spree'd

Nah

He is on the bench because he is currently injured and may play tonight. He has struggled since the start of the season getting back into shape. Hense the bad start. Then he got hurt again.

bernardos70
01-16-2007, 01:03 PM
Pistons win sweepstakes, will sign Webber Tuesday

Win?

AxdemxO
01-16-2007, 02:51 PM
Come on guys Webber mite not be what he once was but i cant stand when people start acting madd ignorant. I bet the same people that think Webber is a waste of time for Detroit now, thought the same about Sheed when they got him a cup years back, well he lead them to a title and Webber mite not do that but he will help them get further.

bernardos70
01-16-2007, 03:41 PM
Will he though? Webber is on his last leg, he's suffering Divac-itis. That's when you jump and you somehow defy the laws of physics and actually get lower than where you were whilst just standing. He's got zilch left in his tank. Bad comparison.

Steve13
01-16-2007, 04:16 PM
Webber averaged 20 and 10 last season and 11 and 8 this year in limited minutes and had problems with the coaching and the team in general. Make no mistake, Webber can still give the pistons a good 15 and 10 a night. on the decline or not.

MavKikiNYC
01-16-2007, 04:32 PM
... I bet the same people that think Webber is a waste of time for Detroit now, thought the same about Sheed when they got him a cup years back, well he lead them to a title and Webber mite not do that but he will help them get further.
Lead? Weed FOLLOWED on that team. He was barely the fourth best player on that team. He contributed, yeah; but he sure as hell didn't lead nothin' nowhere.

He also had a stupid foul the following year v. the Spurs that pretty much cost the Pistons that series

Webber won't make even that splash.

AxdemxO
01-16-2007, 04:39 PM
Ummm Sheed is the most talented player on that team. Sheed is a Dirk type player that just doesnt try and doesnt want to be the number one guy. But he has many skills that Dirk has.

HE WAS THE REASON THE WON IT

AxdemxO
01-16-2007, 04:41 PM
I said Webber will not help them as much as Sheed did, but he will help.

nashtymavsfan13
01-16-2007, 07:45 PM
Please don't compare Sheed to Dirk.

SaltwaterChaffy
01-16-2007, 10:18 PM
Sheed does have a similar skill set to Dirk, a comparison isn't insane.

What Rasheed did/does much better than Webber is defend. Webber may have gotten 20/10 last year, but he gave up at least that many points on the defensive end. He is absolutely horrendous right now, because he can't move laterally. I don't see how Webber fits into the defensive concept of the Pistons, but he will help them offensively. Flip is an offensive coach first, so they'll utilize his skills well. Whether it helps the team remains to be seen.

Flacolaco
01-18-2007, 09:58 AM
I guess I just assumed the Pistons were on top in the East....

but Cleveland is # 1 in the east this morning, and their 23-15 record would be good enough to get you 7th place in the western conference.

wow

kriD
01-31-2007, 12:27 PM
Webber: Glad to be an ex-Sixer

"It was probably the first time I didn't enjoy basketball," he said of his time in Philadelphia.

By Marc Narducci
Inquirer Staff Writer

WASHINGTON - Freed from the 76ers, Chris Webber wants this to be clear: He is happy playing basketball again now that he is with the Detroit Pistons.

But the mere mention of his former team wiped the smile off his face as the forward prepared for last night's game with the Washington Wizards.

He called his stay with the Sixers the most difficult part of his 14-year career.

"It was probably the first time I didn't enjoy basketball," Webber said, standing by the locker room at the Verizon Center.

Webber said he appreciated that Sixers president and general manager Billy King finally bought out his contract earlier this month and gave him his release.

"I'm really happy they let me go," Webber said. "I was really used to winning, and being in a situation where a lot is going on besides winning is tough."

Apparently it was not just the lack of winning that bothered Webber.

"When I was there, I definitely wanted to be away," he said. "... I definitely had to get away for my sanity."

Webber, 33, said he was frustrated even before the beginning of this season.

"I actually talked to some people this summer about not playing basketball again, about retiring, just because of how it was inside the situation there," he said. "It was tough and I am glad I made it out of there."

Webber did not specify what made things so tough, but it was clear that he did not like the fact that many in the organization thought his skills had suddenly diminished. He said before this season he was told that his minutes would be cut so the Sixers' younger players could play more.

Last night might have reminded Webber of his Sixers days. He had six points and six rebounds in nearly 28 minutes in a 104-99 loss to the Wizards. Webber did not play the final 4 minutes, 52 seconds as Detroit attempted to make a comeback.

He averaged 20.3 points, 9.9 rebounds and 38.6 minutes per game last season. His critics pointed out that he allowed even more points than he scored.

In 18 games this season for the Sixers, he averaged 11.0 points and 8.3 rebounds while shooting 38.7 percent from the field.

Webber was acquired by the Sixers in a blockbuster trade with Sacramento on Feb. 23, 2005. The Sixers made the playoffs that season, losing to Detroit in the first round.

Last year the Sixers did not make the playoffs. They are 14-32 this season, with the third-worst record in the NBA.

Webber said he enjoyed playing with Allen Iverson, but wished the combination could have produced more wins.

"That is the sad part: that we led the league in scoring duo last year, and we lost," he said. "That kind of hurt us because our goal was to have a great individual season together, but to win... . We didn't win, and I have to blame myself first."

Entering last night, Webber had played six games for his new team and the Pistons were 4-2. He said he signed with Detroit instead of Miami because he wanted to play on a team that he felt had a chance to win a championship.

"He makes everybody dangerous and that is what good passers do," Wizards coach Eddie Jordan said. "He is going to fit in very well with that team."

In his first six games with Detroit, Webber averaged 11.8 points and 8.0 rebounds, shooting 55.4 percent from the field.

In Detroit, he will be expected to do less but win more. The bottom line is that Webber is playing with a better supporting cast, allowing him to recapture his passion for the game.

"I can't even explain the feeling I have," Webber said. "It's a great feeling, and I'm happy."

jacktruth
01-31-2007, 12:41 PM
"It was probably the first time I didn't enjoy basketball," he said of his time in Philadelphia.

Really? The first time?

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/chriswebberissad/

mqywaaah
01-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Really? The first time?

http://www.angelfire.com/hero/chriswebberissad/

LOL Damn good site. :) Cracked me up. Hilarious!