points, 24.35
rebounds, 9.48
shots per game, 15.22
free throw percentage, 83.85%
field goal percentage, 52.57%
three point percentage, 48.72%
blocks per game, 1.43

greatness, pure greatness

the numbers he has put up since the break are definitely all-star numbers...if he keeps playing like this for the rest of the year, he may get some consideration for all-nba teams...no, i know he won't make it, but he'll get consideration with numbers like the ones he has put up recently

Mavs#1Fan
04-03-2001, 08:12 AM
Dirk has had only one bad stretch this year - when All Star reserves were being selected. I really think Dirk was nervous about it, and truthfully did not want to be selected.

LAM0015
04-03-2001, 09:41 AM
he wasn't great during that stretch..not at all...but i think he was nervous because he wanted to be selected...

LAM0015
04-03-2001, 11:02 AM
wow..this board is all of a sudden dead.

djb
04-03-2001, 11:20 AM
I think EvilMav2's taking a vacation i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif

dallaslaker
04-03-2001, 12:17 PM
I'm more of a lurker than a poster. Trust me, there are people around but just not posting.

LAM0015
04-03-2001, 12:18 PM
maybe i should go back to my old role as being an cocky, arrogant, dallas mavs fan. that way, people will at least have me to gripe at and voice their hso's at. maybe that'll liven things up a bit. of course, i'd keep it clean and all...
;-)

djb
04-03-2001, 12:27 PM
TheKid and Evilmav2 must be on spring break or something. Either that or they've accepted your new mother teresa persona i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

The Crippler
04-03-2001, 01:00 PM
I say be a jerk lam. It really was a little more fun.

Big Boy Laroux
04-03-2001, 03:36 PM
Hey stats man (lam), how has finley done since the break? he sure has been playing like a man possessed recently. we are definitely a TEAM to be reckoned with.

LonestarROB
04-03-2001, 03:56 PM
"we are definitely a TEAM to be reckoned with."

DA had a little piece on the Mavs on NBA Today talking about how NO body can defend the Mavs since the addition of Howard and how we can cause huge problems for other teams in the playoffs. We are definitely a team to be reckoned with.

Mavs#1Fan
04-03-2001, 05:04 PM
Finley has stepped up the last 10 games.

Season Average vs Last 10 Games:
Minutes 42.0 - 42.4
Shots 19.0 - 19.4
FG% 45.7 - 46.7
FT% 77.6 - 76.1
3PT% 32.4 - 43.9
REB 5.2 - 6.5
AST 4.5 - 4.5
PTS 21.3 - 23.5

When your best player is playing his best ball, it's easy to understand why the Mavs have 7 wins and 3 losses in the last ten games.

Mavinator
04-03-2001, 05:16 PM
Dirk's stats since the all-star break... all-star numbers? Gawd, those are MVP numbers!

Hoopsmeister
04-03-2001, 05:31 PM
Still waiting for Dirk to pull out a 40-point game. You know he has it in him--and if he does it sometime in the next 9 games that should seal the achievement of being the highest scoring European ever in the NBA

erub
04-03-2001, 05:52 PM
I don't think 24.35 pts per game is gonna get you an MVP. But shooting almost 50% from 3 pt land will definitely help. I guess loosing Davis wasn't such a bad deal after all

LAM0015
04-04-2001, 07:32 AM
there have been players that have averaged less than that and won the MVP. i don't, not in my wildest dreams, imagine that he would win it...but dirk's #'s are tremendous.

LAM0015
04-04-2001, 07:54 AM
since the all-star break

Dirk Stats
points, 24.35
rebounds, 9.48
shots per game, 15.22
free throw percentage, 83.85%
field goal percentage, 52.57%
three point percentage, 48.72%
blocks per game, 1.43

Finley Stats
points, 21.54
rebounds, 5.38
shots per game, 18.21
free throw percentage, 92.31%
Field goal percentage, 47.60%
three point percentage, 38.16%
assists per game, 4.71
turnovers per game, 2.29

The Crippler
04-04-2001, 11:22 AM
oh no...another dirk/fin comparison. i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

The Crippler
04-04-2001, 11:23 AM
give me dirk's assist #s...also give me both steal/game #s. I could look it up myself, but I'm lazy.

LAM0015
04-04-2001, 11:26 AM
there's no comparison here..just showing how well both of them have performed since the all-star break. as you can see, dirk has a slight edge on the numbers i have listed..but once you throw in steals per game, then the two players are both neck and neck. it's amazing to see two mavs playing at such a high level for such an extended period of time.

LonestarROB
04-04-2001, 11:33 AM
And I bet Howard's stats are just as good over the last 7-10 games too.

The Crippler
04-04-2001, 11:56 AM
i would like to see how much each player is roughly responsible for in each game. I say roughly, because you don't know which assists were for 3s. Since you are the stats man, could you give me a listing of the big 4s ppg and ast/gm since the trade?

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 08:32 AM
Over the last seven games, howard is averaging 16.57pts, 6.4 rebounds and is shooting 50%

crippler, kiss my a*s.

well, maybe i'll do it, but not right now. i just got traded.

TheKid
04-05-2001, 10:36 AM
I'm trying to stay away from comparison's because I'm just HYPED with the way the mavs are playing right now. This I do know though, I don't care about stats, I know FINLEY has been dominant. He's been going to the basket more which I'm loving, actually finishing with his left hand. He's been taking fewer threes and he's just playing outstanding. All of them are (except for the bench) so I don't care what stats say, I'm saying this. Dirk is great and I wouldn't trade him for ANYONE else in the NBA right. (YES I SAID ANYONE INCLUDING SHAQ) However I know this team has been playing outstanding and the MAJORITY of it has to do with how great Fin has been playing!!!! If he keeps playing like this, this team is going to go places!!!

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 01:39 PM
i understand what you're saying..yes, dirk and finley do feed off of each other...i know that. that is obvious. but, the way you make it sound is that dirk's success is almost completely responsible to michael finley's play.
this isn't correct. either of the two would have better scoring numbers if the other player was not on the team. yes (and most importantly, the team would be worse. neither of the two players have problems creating shots for themself.....so if the other was gone, the other player would, in all likeliness, score more points. my point is that dirk's success isn't completely based on finley. if anyone, it's more based on steve nash than finley.

Neither of the two players would or could lead this team to this type of record without the other. but to say that dirk's success is almost solely because of finley is rediculous. watch a game...look at his skills and you will realize that dirk is for real. he would be a key player and a key scorer on any team in the NBA. and so would finley

djb
04-05-2001, 01:44 PM
I'm not sure that's what TheKid meant. It seemed to me that he was attributing much of the team's success to the players feeding off Fin's energy and desire to win, rather then them succeeding simply because of his play on the court.

TheKid
04-05-2001, 02:04 PM
Thanks DJ, that's exactly what I meant. This is what I have seen though, during certain points in the past few games, the team has had it's periods where they could not generate anything. Fin has carried them through those dry periods. Not just from a scoring standpoint either.

Also, OBVIOUSLY I'm giving Dirk his props. Did you not read when I said I would not trade him EVEN FOR SHAQ!!!!!! Damn, what else do I have to say! However I still think Fin is the leader of this team and this team goes as he goes, it's that simple. That doesn't mean that Juwan, Nash or Dirk has not had SIGNIFICANT roles into the teams success down the stretch of the season either. I recognize that, but I just LOVE the way Fin is leading and everyone is falling in line.

djb
04-05-2001, 02:07 PM
I totally agree with you TheKid! I'm one of the guys who thinks Dirk is on pace to become the better player, but no one can argue the impact Fin's had on this team. He's the leader, and like you said, the team goes as he goes.

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 02:13 PM
i can't believe that you could watch the mavs this year and not realize that without dirk or finley, that the mavs would be doomed. apparently, you've been watching someone else all year.
yes, finley is instrumental, but so is dirk.

djb
04-05-2001, 02:18 PM
Yes and so is Nash and now Howard. No one is debating that. The original point TheKid made was that much (though definitely NOT ALL) of the team's success this year can be attributed to Fin's heart and desire to win.

The Crippler
04-05-2001, 02:46 PM
lam..."you just got traded." what does that mean?

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 03:00 PM
no, the majority of why this team is playing well isn't because of michael finley. that is not a fact. yes, finley does have alot to do with it..as do nash, dirk and howard..but finley, this year, hasn't played at a level above dirk's..and he hasn't played at a level much higher than nash. quit kissing his a*s. yes, he's definitely a major part of the team, I admit that. I like the guy as a person and as a player. he's a very good player. but stop kissing his a*s and acting like he's the god of basketball. he's arguably the best player on the team this year..but dirk and nash are nipping at his heels and it's time to realize that micha finley isn't "It" anymore for the mavericks. yes, he might be the most important but everything isn't on his shoulders anymore.

you guys are always kissing finley's a*s...and yes, you will throw the token compliment to dirk, nash, booth, or howard, ..even bradley...but the finley a*s kissing is outlandish. it's like you don't even realize that the mavs are there for other reasons besides what michael finley. REALIZE THAT IT IS A TEAM EFFORT THIS YEAR. IT IS NO LONGER "FINLEY'S TEAM". IT IS A "TEAM" NOW. FINLEY CAN SCORE 8 POINTS AND HAVE A BAD GAME AND THE MAVS CAN NOW BEAT AN ELITE TEAM. THIS IS A MULTI-FACETED TEAM THAT IS KICKING ASS RIGHT NOW. THE STARTERS ARE BASICALLY GUNNING ON ALL CYLINDERS. YOU NEED TO DIRECT YOUR ASS KISSING IN OTHER DIRECTIONS AS WELL..... NOT JUST FINLEY'S

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 03:01 PM
umm..got traded....
the company i work for wants me to run a job down by the coast. this will be in the summer when i get out of school again.

djb
04-05-2001, 03:07 PM
Haha I see your point i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif Oh and fyi, I've always thought Dirk is/will be the better player so no I don't think I'm kissing Finley's ass by saying his leadership skills and heart have greatly affected the play of the team as a whole this season. Ok so maybe saying "much" was a bit inaccurate..I take that part back.

TheKid
04-05-2001, 04:00 PM
If I'm kissing Finley's ass, you're kissing Dirk's ass. NO ONE SAID, these players have NOTHING to do with the teams success OK. I don't care what you say, take Dirk off that team, they're going to the playoffs. Take Howard off that team, they're going to the playoffs, take Nash off, they're going to the playoffs. Take Finley off, they WILL NOT go to the playoffs. Say what you want, but it's the truth. NOW, has Dirk played at an ALL-STAR level this year. YES!!!! ONE YEAR!!!!! So I'm not willing to crown him king just yet. Is he awesome, without question. Does he have the ability to be the best player on the team, YES, but he's not yet!!! Nash is NOT on Fin's level so I'm not even trying to hear that. FIN and DIRK are so much better than any other player on that team it's not even comparable. Say what you want about Nash playing this year, but I'm sorry, they would have gotten it done with out him. They weren't playing at this level last year so why should I expect them to play at this level for many years to come? As far as Juwan goes, he's made the team better, but they were playing at a high level before he got there so I'm not even considering him in this discussion.

When Finley took off, the team took off. He hasn't come down yet, now everyone is playing to his level. That's like saying the Bulls championships are because Scottie Pippen. Believe me, I'm a Pippen fan too, he had ALOT to do with the championship. They probably don't get it if he doesn't play with Jordan, but that teams greatness was because of the leadership and the sheer will to win of a certain Mr. Jordan. So you can say I'm kissing Finley's ass all you want, I'm just calling it like it is!!!!

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 04:02 PM
thank you for taking it back.

and yes, i do think that finley's leadership and heart have affected the mavs. but i also think that nash and dirk have shown similar leadership and heart all year long. no, maybe not quite at fin's level, but they have shown it through their hard work and determination as well. you must admit that.
the mavs have grown up alot this year. all i'm saying is that there are more asses to kiss than just finley's. his is being kissed enough. he's a very good player and he means alot to the mavs...but so do a handful of other players.

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 04:13 PM
the mavs have played well all season long. and yes, finley has played better recently...but guess what, dirk is playing awesome also. what is your point? nothing, that's what i thought. my point is that it takes any 2-3 of the top players on the team to be hot for the mavs have a shot at taking out the top teams in the west.

the mavs would not have a point guard that could run their team if they didn't have nash. eisley has proven that he can't run it on a consistent basis. the mavs desperately need nash to be anywhere near where they are now.

dirk is close to the same player that finley is right now..he may not be there yet, but he's very, very close. by this time next year, i'm willing to bet that it will be obvious even to the most short sighted sports fans, such as many of you, that dirk is the top player on the team.
regardless who is the best player, you're right, dirk and fin are by far the two best players on the team, and the mavs need them both. no, the mavs wouldn't be anywhere close to here without either of those two.

yes, finley has carried them at times...but so has dirk, you can't make that argument. for the mavs to beat the elite such as this last road trip, it took both playing outstanding ball.

thanks for you time...i'm right, you're less right than i am. please ask for help next time, and i'll see what i can do to help you out

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 04:15 PM
!

Hoopsmeister
04-05-2001, 04:33 PM
Um, you had me till that last post Kid. Take the leading scorer and rebounder off this team and they are going to the playoffs? Take the point guard, floor captain, assist leader off this team and they are going to the playoffs? When they didn't manage a .500 record with him off before? I don't think so.

Finley is this team's All-Star. And while we can debate Mike vs. Dirk all day in terms of who is the better player, who will be the better player, Finley is definitely the emotional heart of this team, the engine that keeps it moving forward no matter what. Without him, we wouldn't be making the playoffs either. But with him alone--without Nash and Dirk--we would be exactly where we were last year and the year before (and where teams like the Nets and Detroit are now) with a great player but sitting out of the playoffs yet again.

TheKid
04-05-2001, 04:51 PM
Just my opinion, that's all.

Mavinator
04-05-2001, 04:53 PM
Hah hah- the Pistons don't have a great player!

Hoopsmeister
04-05-2001, 05:39 PM
Nope--but they have a guy who can go for 57, something Finley has never come close to doing, even when he was the one good player on our team. Finley is a much better all-around player than Stackhouse, but he's not as good a pure scorer. And if we had no Nash, no Nowitzki, *particularly* in this year's Western conference. We'd be outside looking in like we were for the last decade.

LAM0015
04-05-2001, 11:01 PM
it was pathetic..the mavs-hawks game. if anyone has a tape of the game, go back and count the number of times finley passes the ball to dirk.....
the most selfish i've seen finley ever look

TheKid
04-06-2001, 07:20 AM
Go back to the game Lam and see how long Dirk was on the bench in the first half. The second half, Finley was hitting his shots, he was hot. When Dirk is hot, they keep feeding him. When Nash is hot, he doesn't look to pass so while you're saying everyone is kissing finley's ass, you're riding him for NO REASON AT ALL!!!

LAM0015
04-06-2001, 07:29 AM
get a clue.
they were on the court quite a bit. watch a game, please, especially before you try and make a point.
finley must be insecure. watch it closely when the mavs are playing. most of finley's passes are to howard.
finley would rather take a dumbass turn around fadeaway jumper from 18 feet than pass to an open Dirk.
pay close attention to it the next time they play. when finley gets the ball, he almost exclusively shoots or passes to howard....sometimes he dumps the ball inside to bradley or booth.
finley is scared of it becoming obvious that he's not the main guy anymore. he'd rather throw up a bad shot than pass it to a guy that is far and away a better shooter than he is. I GIVE YOU...MICAH FINPOODLE

LAM0015
04-06-2001, 07:32 AM
When other players are hot and finley is in the game, they have a hard time getting shots, unless it's howard.
yes, nash will get dirk the ball when he's hot, but finley usually won't.

yes, i admit, finley will get the ball to howard, regardless of whether or not he's hot. but get the ball to dirk?..no, he doesn't. either dirk takes the ball up court himself, or nash passes him the ball..otherwise, he doesn't see the ball on offense.

The Crippler
04-06-2001, 08:16 AM
it bad when you obsess over one thing...

LAM0015
04-06-2001, 08:37 AM
do you want to know what's bad?..i actually counted the # of times that finley passed the ball to dirk...and trust me, it wasn't much. i'll continue to track finley's insecurities as the season comes to a close.

THERE IS ONE REASON WHY FINLEY WOULDN'T COME BACK...AND IT WOULD BE BECAUSE HE'S SCARED. THAT WOULD BE THE ONLY REASON. HE WOULD BE SCARED THAT HE WOULDN'T BE THE TOP DOG ANYMORE

TheKid
04-06-2001, 08:46 AM
I have heard it all now!!!!!! OK, tell me this then. Howard has played with the Mavericks since FEBRUARY or something like that. Then who in the hell was he giving the ball to before then? He's SECOND on the team in assists behind Steve Nash. He's had more than 7 assists a game SEVERAL TIMES this year, but he's insecure about someone else being the man. Get over it LAM!!!!

The majority of things you say about basketball actually make sense, but this DOES NOT AT ALL!!!!

LAM0015
04-06-2001, 08:50 AM
he passes to himself....that's the only way he can feed his ego (that he's desperately trying to hide)

The Crippler
04-06-2001, 01:06 PM
ok, it's time I chime in on this...I, like Lam watched the game last night, and counted the # of times that fin passed to dirk. Well, folks, Lam is right, Fin only passed to Dirk ONCE!! That was in the 4th quarter when fin was in the air, he caught it and reversed the ball to Dirk. Otherwise, what I'm saying is that the only time fin passed to dirk was when fin could not get his shot off. I HATE TO AGREE WITH LAM, but he's right on this point...the rest of you are wrong. If fin keeps this up, this team will fragment like the lake show...

LAM0015
04-06-2001, 01:50 PM
that's great, the enemy himself is on my side. well, i counted 2 passes... but you're pretty close on your count.
i think the mavs organization will kiss his ass until they re-sign him. once he's resigned, then the ass kiss will calm down alot. yes, he is important to the team and they do need to re-sign him. but he does need to pass the ball to dirk when he's open...instead, he usually forces up an idiotic..stupid, moronic shot. yeah...i think that sums it up.
he's scared...that's what it is..he must be scared of losing some of the attention off of himself, why else would he freeze dirk out of the offense whenever he gets a chance?

The Crippler
04-06-2001, 02:28 PM
Re-signing fin for the max will be huge...But not for the reason that most mav fans think...a big sign and trade might be in the works for the offseason...

personally, I would welcome it. Big egos can destroy a team.

TheKid
04-06-2001, 02:28 PM
You know what you're right. He should pass more, because over the course of the season the Mavericks have SUCKED SO MUCH this year that he needs to give the ball to Dirk more right. Dirk is only leading the team in scoring (as Lam has pointed out so much), leading the team in free throws and three pointers (he's leading in all attempts and makes by the way), however. Also Finley is taking less shots than he did last year as result Dirk's scoring has went up, BUT you're telling me he doesn't pass the ball to Dirk? I see how you're taking what's happened in TWO GAMES and basing an assumption over what's happened the entire year... ALSO, Dallas is currently in fourth place in the Western conference BUT you're saying he should do something different before the Mavericks decline. Just something he's been doing ALL YEAR LONG. I'll also add, the two games you're referring to, last I checked they won those games didn't they?

Because if you want to base things off of one game. I was in Chicago, when Dallas played against the Mavericks. The game Mike scored 30 points, let me tell you something. Mike would have had a TRIPLE DOUBLE that night if Dirk made his shots. He was feeding him NONSTOP, and Dirk missed I can't remember exactly how many three pointers but atleast 6 or 7 of them. He was BROKE that game, but you know what, Finley kept feeding him. However you know who stopped feeding him that game, NASH!!!! So maybe you should watch ALL THE GAMES before you make an assumption like that.

The bottom line is this, if he's doing something so wrong, they wouldn't be winning right now. They would be losing. Fin was off lastnight right, how many assists did he have? Juwan was on lastnight and Dirk wasn't so what's the problem with him going to the hot person???? You never considered that did you? If FIN gave a damn about someone else being the man on the team, he would have taken MORE shots than he did last year, NOT LESS!!!

LAM0015
04-10-2001, 09:39 AM
he takes less shots because nash passes the ball to other people. the majority of the time finley touches the ball on the offensive side,...he shoots. simple fact.

TheKid
04-10-2001, 10:14 AM
I take it you didn't watch the game the other night.

LAM0015
04-10-2001, 10:26 AM
obviously, he must have read my posts on here and felt guilty