PDA

View Full Version : Tim Legler's MVP choices

RePLAY
01-17-2007, 11:19 AM
This guy is a joke

In value, Nash looking peerlessBy Tim Legler
ESPN.com

The Most Valuable Player debate doesn't take long to heat up -- it's raised nightly when a crowd chants its endorsement of a favorite candidate. For example, you could hear it cropping up for Dirk Nowitzki during Tuesday's Rockets-Mavs game.
No shortage of excellent candidates here. Dwyane Wade isn't too high on the charts these days, because his Miami team is the biggest question mark in the league. But if Shaq gets healthy, and the Heat get red hot, you'll likely see Wade jump way up on my list.

Same goes for Carmelo Anthony. He's not in my current Top 10, but he has the potential to rise quickly. If the Nuggets take off when he returns starting Monday, this team has the chance to string together a bunch of wins.

One figure notably absent from MVP consideration is Clippers forward Elton Brand, whom I figured would be a leading candidate this year. He isn't. Tired legs after another summer of playing have hurt. And his team is not showing much inspiration this year.

The lesson: many are chanted for, but only one is selected. My top 10 choices . . .

1. Suns guard Steve Nash -- His best season ever. If I had a knock on him in the past, it was that he wasn't the kind of player who could take over the scoring himself. This year I think he's shown he can be a dominant scorer, all the while still incorporating new guys, who then proceed to have career years. I think he's an underrated defensive player. Very active in double-teaming. He's underated cuz he can DOUBLE TEAM!

2. Wizards guard Gilbert Arenas -- We haven't seen a scoring spree like this since the days of Jordan I swore Kobe avg a month where he had about 45 points per game then scored 81 =P-- every night you wonder if he's going to get 50. He's put up his biggest numbers against the best teams. His offense is so good, it is enough to assure that the Wiz will make some noise in the playoffs. With Caron Butler going strong, Arenas is good enough to get the Wiz to the East finals.

3. Lakers guard Kobe Bryant -- Based on talent, his team doesn't have the right to be 12 games over .500 at this point in the season. But the best all-around player in league has accelerated the development of young players -- Andrew Bynum, Ronny Turiaf, Brian Cook and Kwame Brown. Kobe's more of a leader than he's ever been.

4. Mavs forward Dirk Nowitzki -- The best player on the team with the best record. The best player in the best team isnt enough Overcame a big personal hurdle in playoffs last year in the Spurs series -- the tendency to disappear. That's carried over that right into this season. Has improved dramatically as a rebounder.

5. Spurs forward Tim Duncan -- Some thought last year's foot problems might have signaled the beginning of the end for the greatest power forward of all-time. But no. He's still the best low-post scorer in the league with his huge arsenal. Incredibly consistent and consistently great.

6. Jazz forward Carlos Boozer -- You take one of the smartest, best coached teams, with great chemistry, and give them a dominant low post player -- look out. His ability to rebound against guys 2-3 inches taller than him is remarkable. Without him, the Jazz are a nice team that plays .500 ball and you don't have take seriously. With him, a very formidable team.

7. Rockets center Yao Ming --- Injured now, but Yao has now taken the title of Best Center in the Game. This is the first year that unofficial title hasn't been owned by Shaq since his second or third year. I think this is the first year Yao expects to dominate when he goes to the arena. He doesn't just want to blend in, this year he calls for the ball more, and is tougher around the basket.

8. Cavs forward LeBron James -- I think LeBron in some way approached the season a little more casually than he did last year. So they won one playoff series? There's should still be a deep, deep hunger. Most wouldn't put him this low, but I think with the East ready for the taking, the Cavs failed to put much distance between their No. 1 East mark and the rest of a struggling conference.

9. Magic center Dwight Howard -- This guy is a combo of Karl Malone strength and KG athletic ability. When you have a dominant big man, you have a chance to compete, just because Howard is on the boards.

10. Heat guard Dwyane Wade -- The mark of a true MVP is the ability to carry a team when depleted. He was hurt himself, but when he's out there, he's carried the team. He's the foundation in a very chaotic season. Yah out of the playoffs in the east =P

Of note, Kevin Garnett's case is strong for inclusion, especially with his Wolves' clutch wins of late.

sike
01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
Kobe over Dirk at this point is dumb on any level.

oh, and Steve Nash plays along side two of the top 25 players in the league...I guess that doesn't matter to these morons...

Five-ofan
01-17-2007, 11:23 AM
timmy is a douche. I still want someone to explain to me how taking a more talented team to a worse record without better statistics leads to the mvp...

aexchange
01-17-2007, 11:33 AM
legler is still bitter the mavs released him back when the mavs struggled to win 10 games a year. this guy is an absolute bum.

RePLAY
01-17-2007, 11:46 AM
im not mad about Kobe...im mad about GILBERT ARENAS!!

DevinHarriswillstart
01-17-2007, 11:46 AM
Hahahaha Steve Nash underrated defensively? Anything for the papers. I think he may be the worst defensive player in the past twenty years. Just watch the games Legler instead of reading the papers. Watch the games and see for yourself. Say what you want about Dirk playing great on a great team leggy, too bad Nash only plays 50% of the game of basketball.

Oh wait "Double Team", I get it, sorry I thought we were talking about basketball. Decent Rodman flick though. Espn has mostly canned these guys cause noone cares what they have to say.

RePLAY
01-17-2007, 11:49 AM
Theres only 3 guys imo who deserve to be an MVP. Dirk, Kobe and Carlos Boozer.

Five-ofan
01-17-2007, 11:56 AM
Theres only 3 guys imo who deserve to be an MVP. Dirk, Kobe and Carlos Boozer.
one of these 3 is not like the others.

Flacolaco
01-17-2007, 11:57 AM
If Dirk wins MVp and no title: Im pissed about the title

If Dirk wins MVP and title: Im happy about the title

its all about the title. I dont really care about the MVP, and while Dirk may care a little, I think he wants a ring.

So let the media think what they want to think. We sound like a bunch of whiners whenever this comes up.

RePLAY
01-17-2007, 11:59 AM

tru..ill take carlos boozer out :D

aexchange
01-17-2007, 12:24 PM

please take dirk out. he doesn't belong in the same category as a rapist and a lying thief.

AxdemxO
01-17-2007, 01:10 PM
The list is messed up. I think Dirk and Nash should be tied for #1 and after tht its up for grabs.

Thespiralgoeson
01-17-2007, 03:45 PM
I wish these faggots would just get it over with and give Nash the award right now so I don't have to scoff about it later. Better yet, they should go ahead and just give it to him for the next two or three seasons.

Five-ofan
01-17-2007, 03:46 PM
I wish these faggots would just get it over with and give Nash the award right now so I don't have to scoff about it later. Better yet, they should go ahead and just give it to him for the next two or three seasons.
you should not read the new bill simmons article without a barf bag handy.

nashtymavsfan13
01-17-2007, 07:41 PM
Dirk only #4? What a joke.