PDA

View Full Version : Pau-er Brokers

kriD
01-21-2007, 02:22 PM
PAU-ER BROKERS

GASOL, ONCE UNTOUCHABLE, CAN SUDDENLY BE HAD

[By Peter Vecsey / New York Post]

January 21, 2007 -- EARLIER this season, I revealed Boston had offered Memphis its choice of any combination of Celtics for Pau Gasol. Michael Heisley, a lame-duck owner at the time whose pending sale of the team recently ruptured, responded by anointing the franchise forward "untouchable."

Well, guess what, Heisley's uncompromising stance has been rewritten on dust in the wind.

Sources throughout the NBA disclose the 7-foot Gasol, an elite post-up performer, as tough a cover as there is within 15 feet of the rim, suddenly is eminently obtainable. Distressed at management's rebuilding-with-adolescence mood, the 27 1/2-year-old has asked to be traded to a playoff-positioned ensemble that, of course, would be instantly transformed into a legit title contender.

The offended Grizzlies aim to oblige.

I put this out there with utter certainty. Infallible informers report Grizzlies president Jerry West has explored prospective trade arrangements with at least three teams regarding Gasol. In order to protect my sources, the only one I'm willing to identify for the time being is the Bulls.

That may be enough. Obviously, Gasol's low-dock dealing (averaged 18.5 points on 50.5 field-goal accuracy his first five seasons as a pro before missing most of this season due to foot surgery) is what Chicago's off-shore drilling outfit needs.

The Bulls also own what Memphis wants, namely Luol Deng ($2.6 million) and Ben Gordon ($3.86M). In order to satisfy salary/transaction specs, Chicago would have to include P.J. Brown ($8.56M). I'm told the Grizzlies are prepared to add Hakim Warrick ($1.2M) to a pot that so far does not include draft picks; Gasol currently is on the books for $12.8M and is owed $63M over the next four seasons.

That's as far as the exchange of ideas has progressed, so I'm told. As enthralled as Bulls vice president John Paxson surely must be by the opportunity to fill his team's lone conspicuous cavity, people in the organization claim he won't pull that particular trigger.

"Giving up Gordon and Deng would be very difficult," a Bulls insider insisted. "John will never go there. Not even if Scott Skiles and the rest of the coaching staff is beating on him to make that swap, which isn't the case."

As rapper DMX woofs, "Bad decisions lead to last decisions." Parting with the pair might prove to be just that bad, the same Bulls insider feels.

"Does Pau get you to the promised land minus both those players? We doubt it. He's an All-Star-caliber player, no question. But we're not sure he can be the best player on a playoff team expected to accomplish something significant," the insider said.

If the Bulls go strictly by what the Grizzlies failed to accomplish (0-12) in three straight playoff trips with Gasol as their leading scorer (20 ppg), I suppose that answers that. Rather than surrender both Gordon and Deng, I suspect Paxson prefers to roll the dice and hope inside force Tyrus Thomas matures faster than your average NBA toddler.

But don't misunderstand; this negotiation is only in its infancy. What's more, now that Gasol's availability is public, the bidding for his services figures to take a quantum leap.

rakesh.s
01-21-2007, 03:52 PM
gasol is not a franchise player..maybe in the euroleague he is. The only team he can help is probably New Jersey and I would trade Vince Carter if it came down to that.

Carter can stink it up in Memphis and then opt out at the end of the year.

NJ will automatically have a better frontline with Gasol.

TheBlueVan
01-21-2007, 05:27 PM
how about RJ for gasol? id be afraid of the spurs going for him, but, yet again, they have no one to trade

MavKikiNYC
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
gasol is not a franchise player..maybe in the euroleague he is. The only team he can help is probably New Jersey and I would trade Vince Carter if it came down to that.

Carter can stink it up in Memphis and then opt out at the end of the year.

NJ will automatically have a better frontline with Gasol.

"Does Pau get you to the promised land minus both those players? We doubt it. He's an All-Star-caliber player, no question. But we're not sure he can be the best player on a playoff team expected to accomplish something significant," the insider said.

I was not the insider quoted here, but this is pretty much what I would've said.

Gasol = Nice player, but not a franchise player. Overrated by many.

I think that the Nets' Richard Jefferson is scheduled to have ankle surgery this year, so if they have any playoff pretensions at all this year, they keep Carter.

Drbio
01-21-2007, 05:31 PM
Pao would make the Mavs, spurts, suns or lakers (and several other teams) instant finals contenders. I would love to see how he and Dirk could complement each other. It won't happen but I'd like to see it.

rakesh.s
01-21-2007, 07:03 PM
I was not the insider quoted here, but this is pretty much what I would've said.

Gasol = Nice player, but not a franchise player. Overrated by many.

I think that the Nets' Richard Jefferson is scheduled to have ankle surgery this year, so if they have any playoff pretensions at all this year, they keep Carter.

they're not going anywhere with carter and he's going to opt out and sign somewhere else for the max at the end fo the year.

All you need is one good big man in the east and you're in teh playoffs...Gasol, even minus RJ, would get NJ to the playoffs.

MavKikiNYC
01-21-2007, 07:28 PM
they're not going anywhere with carter and he's going to opt out and sign somewhere else for the max at the end fo the year.

All you need is one good big man in the east and you're in teh playoffs...Gasol, even minus RJ, would get NJ to the playoffs.
I'm not a fan of Carter, but ...I think that he gives them a better shot at the playoffs right now than Gasol does.

What am I missing on Carter? Seems like everybody (but me) has read something somewhere that indicates he's a lock to go elsewhere at the end of the year.

I think that the Nets are more likely to trade Kidd than to let Carter walk for $$$--Kidd is older, the knee has diminished his production somewhat, the contract, the personal issues. Nets would want to keep a marquee player like Carter for ticket sales--yeah, there are people who pay good money to see dunks (yawn) by an underperforming player on a poor-performing team.

Gasol? Uhm....let's just say that I don't think he markets well in Brooklyn.

Drbio
01-21-2007, 07:35 PM
The prevailing thought is that NJ is going to blow up the team. Maybe that is wrong.

Murphy3
01-21-2007, 07:47 PM
Why would they trade Gasol for Carter?

rakesh.s
01-21-2007, 10:30 PM
What am I missing on Carter? Seems like everybody (but me) has read something somewhere that indicates he's a lock to go elsewhere at the end of the year.

I think that the Nets are more likely to trade Kidd than to let Carter walk for $$$--Kidd is older, the knee has diminished his production somewhat, the contract, the personal issues. Nets would want to keep a marquee player like Carter for ticket sales--yeah, there are people who pay good money to see dunks (yawn) by an underperforming player on a poor-performing team.

They've had Carter for the first half of the season, and they're sub .500.

Carter is approaching 30 years of age, and this is his last shot at a big contract. Orlando has cap space, a promising big man and solid pieces. Carter is from Daytona Beach...You do the math.

Why would they trade Gasol for Carter?

Carter will fill seats in Memphis and if he opts out at the end of the year, they're on the fast track to rebuilding.

NJ cannot rebuild if they plan on getting a title with Kidd.

On the other hand, they could trade Kidd for an expiring deal AND let carter walk. Then they can build around jefferson. I highly doubt they do this, because there is no point guard out there that they will get in return, or draft, that is going to be anywhere near Kidd's level. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that Phoenix won't trade Nash.

Murphy3
01-21-2007, 10:31 PM
Not a good enough reason.. gotta get more for Gasol than Carter.

rakesh.s
01-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Not a good enough reason.. gotta get more for Gasol than Carter.

yeah okay..why don't you suggest something else then? One line replies with no explanation isn't a good enough for me.

Gasol is 0-12 in the playoffs. Vince Carter was one last second basket shy of the NBA finals. Safe to say...Vince is a better player than Gasol. Switch this up to euroleague and it's Gasol all the way.

Murphy3
01-21-2007, 11:25 PM
Vince plays in the east. I don't really think that you can compare what a player does in the east compared to what a player does in the west.

And hey, I'm not the one throwing out trade ideas. If you don't want them criticized, come up with something better.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that Gasol's heads and tails better than Carter.. not at all. It's not completely a case of who the better player is. But why would Memphis want to trade for a guy that's likely to quit on his team and then leave after the end of the season anyways?

rakesh.s
01-21-2007, 11:31 PM
Vince plays in the east. I don't really think that you can compare what a player does in the east compared to what a player does in the west.

And hey, I'm not the one throwing out trade ideas. If you don't want them criticized, come up with something better.

A win is a win..if you're a good player, you'll figure out how to win. I don't care what conference you play in, if you can't win A game in the postseason, you suck and are not a franchise player, which is what you're making him out to be.

Hell giving up Vince for Gasol might be too much, but it fills a need for New Jersey.

Now, I'm not going to sit here and say that Gasol's heads and tails better than Carter.. not at all. It's not completely a case of who the better player is. But why would Memphis want to trade for a guy that's likely to quit on his team and then leave after the end of the season anyways?

Because his contract comes off the books if he walks, and all you need to rebuild on the fly is cap space...just ask Orlando.

Murphy3
01-21-2007, 11:35 PM
Um, no.. a win is not a win regardless of conference. I don't think that Gasol is a legit superstar in this league.. but neither is Carter. Why give up Gasol for a half a season of Carter? I don't see the logic in it.

I can see why NJ would do it, but not Memphis. It'd free up Richard Jefferson more for NJ and they'd have an inside presence. It would bring in a probable bad seed to Memphis. No thanks.

rakesh.s
01-21-2007, 11:38 PM
Um, no.. a win is not a win regardless of conference. I don't think that Gasol is a legit superstar in this league.. but neither is Carter. Why give up Gasol for a half a season of Carter? I don't see the logic in it.

I can see why NJ would do it, but not Memphis. It'd free up Richard Jefferson more for NJ and they'd have an inside presence. It would bring in a probable bad seed to Memphis. No thanks.

like i said...cap space.

Orlando did the same thing by giving up Francis for Penny Hardaway and Trevor Ariza and now they're a contender.

Memphis sucks, and they're going to possibly get the no. 1 pick in the draft. Get Oden and sign Chauncey Billups (with the cap space you have after Carter walks) and you're going to have one hell of a team.

Murphy3
01-21-2007, 11:43 PM
Well, I suppose if you actually think that Billups would sign there....

I don't, but we'll have to agree to disagree on that point until the off-season comes around.

Murphy3
01-21-2007, 11:46 PM
personally, I'd rather have the high draft pick AND Gasol. But, that's just my opinion. Or, move Gasol for someone that fits into your long term plans. I understand wanting to clear the cap space, but I just don't think Billups ends up in Memphis.

dirt_dobber
01-22-2007, 10:50 AM
Gasol ready for trade; Griz listening

The Commercial Appeal
http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/grizzlies/article/0,1426,MCA_475_5296526,00.html

Pau Gasol seems to be ready to leave. He has been mentioned in a deal that could bring Chicago Bulls guard Ben Gordon and forward Luol Deng to the Griz.

West talks with Bulls about deal, but Grizzlies not in fire sale mode
By Ronald Tillery

January 22, 2007
LOS ANGELES -- Grizzlies center Pau Gasol won't say as much but his actions and agent have delivered the message.

The 7-footer wants out of Memphis. Pronto.

Given Gasol's play and the feelers his agent, Arn Tellem, have lobbed around the NBA recently, the Grizzlies are suddenly forced to consider their future without someone they've deemed the franchise player.

Gasol made trade overtures before and after Mike Fratello was fired, according to team insiders. The Spaniard dodged the question when asked Sunday if he's demanded a trade at any point this season.

"I don't want to comment on that right now because I don't want it to be a distraction to me or the team," Gasol said. "It's not beneficial to anybody. Whatever happens is yet to be seen."

Reached Sunday while traveling, team president Jerry West acknowledged a reported conversation with the Chicago Bulls.

West characterized the discussion as cursory to reveal Gasol's availability on the trade market. Bulls general manager John Paxson, however, never mentioned players that he would offer for Gasol.

"The conversation was brief," West said. "But we're not giving him away. This franchise won't give him away. Period."

Gasol, who has four years and more than $60 million left on a maximum contract, is one of the few skilled post players in the league. Still, a Gasol deal with the Bulls could be consummated if they were willing to part with guard Ben Gordon and forward Luol Deng.

Even Griz majority owner Michael Heisley softened his past stance on keeping Gasol, saying he seconded West's sentiment.

Gasol, like anyone on the roster, can be had at the right price.

"If we trade Pau we're looking to substantially improve the team for the future or we would be looking to get more picks in this draft," Heisley said. "If we can improve the team, we would trade Pau. But there's a difference when you've made up your mind like with Jason Williams and Bonzi Wells. Pau Gasol is not available in that sense. I don't make trades. But if Jerry came to me with a trade that would improve this team, Pau will be traded. Jerry is always exploring possibilities."

Heisley also had this message for potential suitors.

"If you think Pau is on a fire sale list, you're crazy," Heisley said. "I like the young man a lot. There's no question he's the only franchise-type player we've got. ... Whether you trade Pau or not depends on what's brought to you."

Privately, the organization is growing dissatisfied with the effort Gasol has brought to work. The perception is that Gasol's lackadaisical defensive and rebounding performances coupled with inconsistent offense are by design to emphasize his desire for a trade.

Asked his thoughts on the team's direction, Gasol sounded concerned.

"I don't really know the direction of the franchise," he said before adding that he ultimately wants to play for a winner.

"Everybody wants that," Gasol said. "Personally, to me, it's really important to be in that situation and have a chance to grow."

dalmations202
01-22-2007, 11:06 AM
I don't think Jerry West lets Pau stay in the West.

IMO, Charlotte should be trying very hard to get him. Pau/Okafor/Wallace would be fairly formidable. It would probably cost May and draft picks + filler, but that might work out for both teams.

sike
01-22-2007, 12:49 PM
Pao would make the Mavs, spurts, suns or lakers (and several other teams) instant finals contenders. I would love to see how he and Dirk could complement each other. It won't happen but I'd like to see it.
I got news for ya big bio, all those teams you mentioned are already finals contenders ;)

MavKikiNYC
01-22-2007, 12:58 PM
I don't think Jerry West lets Pau stay in the West.

IMO, Charlotte should be trying very hard to get him. Pau/Okafor/Wallace would be fairly formidable. It would probably cost May and draft picks + filler, but that might work out for both teams.
Jerry West would require Okafor in return. At least.

Also, Paxson has already rejected Gordon/Deng for Gasol. At least that's the posture he's assumed.

Five-ofan
01-22-2007, 01:03 PM
pau for jason richardson and mike pietrus. and a first.

Dirkenstien
01-22-2007, 01:39 PM
I doubt Pau will be traded because Memphis wants too much for him. Also, correct me if I'm wrong because I haven't seen much of him but isn't he just a sub-par defender at best?

sike
01-22-2007, 02:02 PM
pau for jason richardson and mike pietrus. and a first.
that is a lot.

Five-ofan
01-22-2007, 02:05 PM
that is a lot.
i think it works for both teams and it makes the warriors scary as hell

Davis
Ellis
Harrington
Pau
Biedrins

You have size, you have athletecism, you have alot.

bring Jackson off the bench.