PDA

View Full Version : Darrell Armstrong engineers win

dirt_dobber
01-23-2007, 12:55 PM
Energetic veteran has 16 points while guiding Pacers past Bulls
http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070123/SPORTS04/701230393/1004/SPORTS

By Mike Wells

Darrell Armstrong darted into the lane, intercepted a pass and was immediately fouled hard enough to send him to the floor.

The 38-year-old Armstrong quickly hopped up, pumped his fist and flashed a smile at the fans sitting along the sideline, signaling the end of any possible comeback for the Chicago Bulls.

Armstrong, who threw his body around the court all night, calmly made both free throws and went to the other end of the court and leaped for the final rebound of the game.
It was that type of night for the full-of-caffeine, always-talkative Armstrong. Filling in for the injured Jamaal Tinsley, Armstrong was two rebounds shy of his first triple-double as the Pacers held off the Bulls 98-91 in front of a sparse crowd of 13,233 at Conseco Fieldhouse on Monday night.

"I tell people I can still play this game," Armstrong said as he iced both ankles. "I can still pick up full court. I still can do what I used to do. I just don't look to score as much as I used to. My role is to be a defender, put pressure on the ball, get guys the ball and knock down open shots if I have them."

Armstrong finished with 16 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds in a season-high 34 minutes to help the Pacers end a four-game losing streak and move a game over .500 at the midpoint of the season.

The Pacers had to withstand a 21-point second-half effort from Bulls guard Ben Gordon. The Pacers led by as many as 20 points in the third quarter only to have Chicago get within four in the fourth quarter.

Forward Jermaine O'Neal led five Pacers in double figures with 22 points and 10 rebounds. Danny Granger added 19 points.

"We obviously had to withstand a strong run by Chicago," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "Ben Gordon (31 points) is one of the great scorers in this league right now. He was able to get on a roll and we had to dodge some scud missiles to win the game. . . . I give our guys a lot of credit for hanging in and getting through it. There were certainly opportunities for us to fold, but we stayed tough. Darrell Armstrong had a great game for us."

Armstrong, acquired from Dallas last summer to give the Pacers added veteran leadership, continues to show he has enough left in his 38-year-old legs to step in when called.

Armstrong said he had a dream he would get his first NBA triple-double when he found out there was a possibility Tinsley (sore back and illness) wouldn't play.

Armstrong, who said he had a quadruple-double while playing in the United States Basketball League, drew two key charges, including Kirk Hinrich's sixth foul, late in the fourth quarter.

"I've been around the NBA for a long time and Darrell Armstrong is Kevin Garnett in a 5-10 body," Carlisle said. "He gives that kind of energy. He has that kind of unbridled enthusiasm for the game and for his teammates. He's a guy that was written off so many times before he got to this league. He's got a heart as big as Conseco Fieldhouse."
Tinsley's return to the lineup is up in the air, and Carlisle and Armstrong both said they don't want Armstrong to have to log heavy minutes.

"If we had a game tomorrow night, I'd be sitting out," Armstrong said, laughing. "I feel good. I would love to have a break. I can't go nine to 12 straight minutes like I used to back in the day. Eight to nine minutes is great to go through. I know Jamaal is out, but my body feels good."

dirt_dobber
01-23-2007, 12:57 PM
I miss the little guy with the big heart.

and I love the quote by Carlisle...............

"I've been around the NBA for a long time and Darrell Armstrong is Kevin Garnett in a 5-10 body," Carlisle said. "He gives that kind of energy. He has that kind of unbridled enthusiasm for the game and for his teammates. He's a guy that was written off so many times before he got to this league. He's got a heart as big as Conseco Fieldhouse."

kg_veteran
01-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I miss the original Super Spare.

Arne
01-23-2007, 02:55 PM
I miss the little guy with the big heart.

and I love the quote by Carlisle...............

There's no way Armstrong is 5-10... he's over 6' that's for sure!

Rhylan
01-23-2007, 03:38 PM
No way he's over 6'.

mqywaaah
01-23-2007, 10:52 PM
Thats the Super spare that I know! Kudos!

Drbio
01-23-2007, 11:08 PM
DA wouldn't be 6' tall if he stood on a chair.

antoinewalker
01-24-2007, 01:26 PM
darrell armstrong sucks.

Arne
01-24-2007, 02:38 PM
DA wouldn't be 6' tall if he stood on a chair.
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/darrell_armstrong/index.html

kg_veteran
01-24-2007, 03:20 PM
http://www.nba.com/playerfile/darrell_armstrong/index.html

They used to list Barkley at 6'6", too, and he wasn't any more than 6'4".

Steve13
01-24-2007, 09:15 PM
DA is doing a good job on wade tonight while scoring at the other end

miami blew a 19 point lead in the 3rd and are now tied