PDA

View Full Version : Lakers/Spurs game

Steve13
01-28-2007, 06:05 PM
80-80

27 seconds remaining. Radmanovic just tied it with a three.

fluid.forty.one
01-28-2007, 06:11 PM
Is it bad that I loved watching Ginobli take that shot to the face?

Mavs Rule
01-28-2007, 06:12 PM
Kobe fouling twice in the last 2.7 of regulation, and not called for it.

Bookit
01-28-2007, 06:14 PM
80-80

27 seconds remaining. Radmanovic just tied it with a three.

Funny how Duncan got away with an OBVIOUS foul on Kobe's dunk attempt. That guy get away with more fouls than anybody in the league. I think that would have been his 6th foul too.

Steve13
01-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Lakers up 92-91

Spurs ball with 30 secs left. does it matter who wins this game for us?

Bookit
01-28-2007, 06:20 PM
Lakers up 92-91

Spurs ball with 30 secs left. does it matter who wins this game for us?

Your kidding right? We want the Spuz to lose always.

Mavs Rule
01-28-2007, 06:22 PM
Spurs obviously since they are in our division and somewhat close. That said I have always disliked the Lakers from way back.

Bookit
01-28-2007, 06:23 PM
I just can't stand to see the Spuz win, ever. Remember, they always get rolling on this rodeo road trip.

Bookit
01-28-2007, 06:24 PM
Kobe is tough in the Staples Center.

dude1394
01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
Damn that is some cold blooded stuff.

Mavs Rule
01-28-2007, 06:25 PM
FIN you dog!

fluid.forty.one
01-28-2007, 06:26 PM
Oh my... Finley!

Bookit
Finley never did that with the Mavs. I was sure it would clank off the back iron.

The Crippler
Fin dawg! Always good to see him do good.

dude1394
And then mike gives it to them right in the gut.

Wonder if the spurts board is going to be calling for his head today. Man he was 4 feet back from the line.

dude1394
01-28-2007, 06:27 PM
Finley never did that with the Mavs. I was sure it would clank off the back iron.

Ah come on. Mike could always hit a wide open 3. It was when he had to put it on the floor that he had such a horrible time.

Bookit
01-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Ah come on. Mike could always hit a wide open 3. It was when he had to put it on the floor that he had such a horrible time.

Ok, he RARELY hit a 3 pointer late. Maybe back in the 90's but not in the last 4 or 5 years here in Dallas.

shaw-xx
01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
LA deserved to win. - -

fluid.forty.one
01-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Dammit

Steve13
01-28-2007, 06:30 PM
fin the hero. spurs win by 2

dude1394
Weird that it looked like the lakers were trying to get a 3 and the spurts seemed to be pushing them out.

The Crippler

I know you're joking Bookit, but Finley did hit quite a few game winners for us in the regular season. Especially the 00-01 season...

Yes, he also missed his share because for some reason, Nellie had an aversion to drawing up a play to get an open shot in the last seconds. It was always Finley iso on top and let him get enough space to get his jumper off.

Thespiralgoeson
01-28-2007, 06:35 PM
Wow. I can honestly say that was the most entertaining afternoon game I've seen in years. The last time I had that much fun watching an afternoon game was in 2003 when the Mavs beat the Kings in OT at ARCO.

Usually Lurkin
01-28-2007, 06:41 PM
ugh. good game, but I was rooting for the Lakers because I'll be rooting for the Spurs when they play the Suns in a bit.

dude1394
01-28-2007, 06:45 PM
I know you're joking Bookit, but Finley did hit quite a few game winners for us in the regular season. Especially the 00-01 season...

Yes, he also missed his share because for some reason, Nellie had an aversion to drawing up a play to get an open shot in the last seconds. It was always Finley iso on top and let him get enough space to get his jumper off.

Which was part of my point. having him make his own shot was a problem, getting him a wide open 3 was fine.

Big Shot Rob
01-28-2007, 07:17 PM
As a Spurs fan, I recall the words of MLK--

KEEP HOPE ALIVE

I have hope against the Phoenix Suns.

Is there any way to have a betting section for SA versus Phoenix?

Dirkadirkastan
01-28-2007, 07:18 PM
I just can't stand to see the Spuz win, ever. Remember, they always get rolling on this rodeo road trip.

They better get on a roll enough to beat PHX. If the Mavs capitalize on their upcoming easy schedule, the Spurs won't gain any ground.

DubOverdose
01-28-2007, 07:52 PM
I only saw the final play of regulation and OT, but DAMN that was entertaining! Probably some of the best ball that I've seen all season.

shaw-xx
01-28-2007, 08:21 PM
As a Spurs fan, I recall the words of MLK--

KEEP HOPE ALIVE

I have hope against the Phoenix Suns.

Is there any way to have a betting section for SA versus Phoenix?
I really wish you beat the Suns though I doubt... :o

Dtownsfinest
01-28-2007, 09:34 PM
I'm still sitting here in shock on how the Lakers gave that lead up in the 4th quarter. The announcers harped on it but time after time the Spurs kept getting their own misses. Eventually you knew the Spurs were going to come back but it would've been difficult had the Lakers capitalized on their lead. But it stayed in the 6-9 point range and it bit them in the ass. Good to see my favorite player in the L(Yea its Finley) getting a great game out of him. He's been playing well these last couple of games but damn had it not been for his 3's the Spurs would've been down by double digits and probably would've never came back. And that last 3 was just insane. The Spurs have a lot of faith in Finley. I was for sure the Spurs were going to live and die by Ginobilli going to the rack in closing minutes.

jacktruth
01-28-2007, 09:55 PM
I don't watch many non-mavs games, but caught this one today. When I'm watching impartially, I really see better how predictably bad NBA officiating is. The spurs are falling too far behind, enter some bad calls in thier favor so people don't change the channel. . .lead cut to 4 pts. Oops now they tied and after all, we are in LA. . .let's make it one phantom call for the Lakers. Now the spurs can win the game with a shot. Ignore the foul on Horry behind the arc. . .

It's really pathetic and appears just a few shades from the WWF.

The Crippler
01-28-2007, 10:29 PM
it is very pro wrestling-like, no disputing that fact...

DarenG
01-29-2007, 10:55 AM
The Spurs will be fine. The playoffs is where it counts (just ask last years Miami team). The Spurs are going to be tough come playoff time for any team to beat. I also thought this game was sort of boring except the last few minutes of the 4th and the OT.

RePLAY
01-29-2007, 01:01 PM
Crazy game...a nail biter for sure

dirt_dobber
01-30-2007, 12:35 PM
Kobe suspended tonight vs. Knicks

Kobe Bryant was suspended by the NBA for Tuesday night's Lakers game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden for striking the Spurs' Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant hit Ginobili with 2.7 seconds remaining in the Lakers' eventual overtime loss to the Spurs. However, the Lakers guard was not ejected and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss..

================================================== ===============
I'm suprised they are'nt going to be playing the suns, minus their marquee player

dirno2000
01-30-2007, 12:37 PM
Kobe suspended tonight vs. Knicks

Kobe Bryant was suspended by the NBA for Tuesday night's Lakers game against the Knicks at Madison Square Garden for striking the Spurs' Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant hit Ginobili with 2.7 seconds remaining in the Lakers' eventual overtime loss to the Spurs. However, the Lakers guard was not ejected and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss..

He did the exact same thing to Dirk last year and nothing happened.

Usually Lurkin
01-30-2007, 12:50 PM
??? That was the play where Kobe launched a desperation attempt, and Manu collapsed with his hands on his face? It looked as accidental as the elbows Shaq threw in the finals.

RePLAY
01-30-2007, 01:10 PM
what a bullshit suspension

dude1394
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
Looks like a decent suspension to me, he threw his arm back to keep ginobbli from the ball it seems.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a7TGrVIu3o

MavKikiNYC
01-30-2007, 01:12 PM
F*cking hilarious.

Scarcely a word about this during the game. I thought they were just going to sweep it under the rug.

Strangely, however, the league acts as Kobe comes into the Garden with the NYKs on the ropes, and trying to stay out of a death spiral.

And Bryant always packs the Garden. But the tickets are already sold. LOL....Knicks fans screwed again!

BTW, that cheap shot should merited 2-3 games because of Bryant's past history.

RePLAY
01-30-2007, 01:20 PM
F*cking hilarious.

Scarcely a word about this during the game. I thought they were just going to sweep it under the rug.

Strangely, however, the league acts as Kobe comes into the Garden with the NYKs on the ropes, and trying to stay out of a death spiral.

And Bryant always packs the Garden. But the tickets are already sold. LOL....Knicks fans screwed again!

BTW, that cheap shot should merited 2-3 games because of Bryant's past history.

Hahah...history of what? Raja Bell clotheslined him and got the same suspension. Kobe was trying to draw a foul by flinging his arms in the air, when he got blocked. He even came to see if Manu was alright. If anything he should have been call for a looseball foul. But a suspension...give me a break.

dirt_dobber
01-30-2007, 02:10 PM
Kobe Bryant said Tuesday he was "shocked" to receive a one-game suspension for hitting Manu Ginobili in the face on Sunday.

Bryant said he unintentionally elbowed Ginobili and felt "terrible" about the play. However, Bryant said he can't believe he was suspended.

"I haven't seen a precedence for this. There's unintentional elbows that take place in a game all the time," Bryant told reporters at Madison Square Garden.

Bryant hit Ginobili while trying to defend a shot with 2.7 seconds remaining.

"I'm blown away by it. It makes no sense," Bryant said.

Bryant's suspension also surprised Lakers coach Phil Jackson.

"I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player," Jackson said.

Bryant was not ejected for the incident and finished with 31 points in the 96-94 loss.

With Bryant suspended, the Lakers will open an eight-game road trip without their leading scorer.

Bryant is averaging 28.4 points, 5.5 assists and 5.4 rebounds.

source; http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2748084

dirt_dobber
01-30-2007, 03:05 PM
The elbow that Shaq threw to Dirks head in the game 1 of the Finals,
while incidental... just as this was, was far worse than what Kobe did.
I really think it affected Drik's play inside throughout the series that
those rat-bastards won.

#1MavsFan
01-30-2007, 03:52 PM
How is this suspension worthy but Bowen's "incidental" contact every time a player shoots isn't? The NBA doesn't know what it's doing with these suspensions. How can they suspend a player for accidentally making very little contact but do nothing to players like Bowen who practically go out and try to injure an NBA star.

RePLAY
01-30-2007, 03:57 PM
the league is a joke...if this sets a precedent....then this will change the game completely

Mavs Rule
01-30-2007, 04:02 PM
I remember the last 2.7 very well as I commented on it early in the thread as it was happening. I couldn't believe both fouls that Kobe made were not called. He was laughing at Horry because he knew he had fouled him, but was not called for it. The NBA doesn't like showboaters. Then on the next play for the game winner, he followed through on his shot intentionally and to the right knowing that Gino was there. You could see that it was intentional and malicious, and he deserves this suspension.

ponky
01-30-2007, 04:06 PM
Hahah...history of what? Raja Bell clotheslined him and got the same suspension. Kobe was trying to draw a foul by flinging his arms in the air, when he got blocked. He even came to see if Manu was alright. If anything he should have been call for a looseball foul. But a suspension...give me a break.

Yes, it was a ridiculous suspension, especially when it's given the same weight as throwing a punch (KG a couple of weeks ago). Clearly a mistake and an accident since he was trying to get the foul but it wasn't intentional.

Bookit
01-30-2007, 04:23 PM
Kobe did something similar to a Mav(help me remember) during that game in LA where Kobe went for 62.

RePLAY
01-30-2007, 04:24 PM
I remember the last 2.7 very well as I commented on it early in the thread as it was happening. I couldn't believe both fouls that Kobe made were not called. He was laughing at Horry because he knew he had fouled him, but was not called for it. The NBA doesn't like showboaters. Then on the next play for the game winner, he followed through on his shot intentionally and to the right knowing that Gino was there. You could see that it was intentional and malicious, and he deserves this suspension.

Dude...i doubt Kobe even knew who blocked him. Kobe was also fouled during that dunk attempt. Kobe should have gotten called for a loose ball foul...but a suspension is uncalled for.

RePLAY
01-30-2007, 04:25 PM
Kobe did something similar to a Mav(help me remember) during that game in LA where Kobe went for 62.

He did it to Dirk.

Bookit
01-30-2007, 04:26 PM
He did it to Dirk.

I think it was in the very same place on the floor too. Of course no call and no suspension then.

Big Boy Laroux
01-30-2007, 04:30 PM
i agree with Mavs Rule. I do think it was intentional. And i thought the same thing when he did it to dirk. i don't think it warrants a suspension, but it definitely should have been a foul. it was obviously intentional. No one swings their arms like that as a follow-through to a shot, or by "accident".

Bookit
01-30-2007, 04:39 PM
Its possible that Stu Jackson has debated whether to suspend Kobe over a similiar incident(Dirk or somebody else) and decided against it but realized, with this latest elbow, that enough is enough.

fluid.forty.one
01-30-2007, 05:22 PM
Shouldn't be suspended.

RePLAY
01-30-2007, 05:24 PM
i agree with Mavs Rule. I do think it was intentional. And i thought the same thing when he did it to dirk. i don't think it warrants a suspension, but it definitely should have been a foul. it was obviously intentional. No one swings their arms like that as a follow-through to a shot, or by "accident".

he PURPOSELY flung out his arm...but he "accidently" smacked him in the face.

untitled
01-30-2007, 05:49 PM
Intentional or not, it hardly seems worthy of a suspension. If throwing a punch equals a one game suspension, this certainly does not.

StackAttack
01-30-2007, 06:10 PM
Bullshit.

Usually Lurkin
01-30-2007, 06:14 PM
it was elbows by shaq in the finals. plurals.

It's not necessarily that this gets a suspension, its that nobody knows what in the world is going on. It's just bizarre inconsistency. The lesson is, if you get hit in the face, drop to the floor and hold your face until you get a timeout, you might be able to get someone suspended. Don't just play through, because you might not even get a foul call. But don't flop cause you might get fined or t'd up, or they'll make you wear an orange tie with Stern's picture on it.

Dtownsfinest
01-31-2007, 10:02 AM
From what i've seen it looked accidental but Kobe tried to draw the foul and hit Ginobilli so it looked a lot worse than Kobe intended. Players do it all the time to get the refs to see that there was contact. The suspension is worthy IMO.

jacktruth
01-31-2007, 12:06 PM
It looked intentional to me. I wouldn't have called it though, because I don't like Ginobili.

"I have been a little disappointed with how Kobe has been treated as a premier player," Jackson said.

I guess Phil didn't see the 2 fouls that weren't called on Kobe in the last minute of the game. This league really is a joke.

dude1394
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Wonder where Phil Jackzen got the idea that referees call things differently on different players.
http://www.thnews.com/article.php?id=1497
Former NBA official reflects on career at Tip-Off Club

NORTH LITTLE ROCK — Joe Kleine was trying hard to be diplomatic.

The former NBA player was in his usual spot at the front of the room, welcoming the guest speaker at the Downtown Tip-Off Club. But this week was different.

‘‘This is a sad day,’’ said Kleine, a former Arkansas Razorback. ‘‘I mean, you’ve got to be kidding me. We’re going to honor an official?’’

But that was just a playful jab. Former NBA official Gary Benson was greeted warmly Monday, and he delighted the audience with amusing anecdotes from his 17 years in the league.

For example, his first regular-season game was a Celtics-Knicks matchup at Boston Garden, and Benson had the audacity to call traveling against Larry Bird.

‘‘Larry Bird comes up to me and says, ’Hey rookie, you can’t call traveling on me,’’’ Benson recalled.

Moments later, Bird hit three straight 3-pointers. Then he sought out Benson again — with a different message:

‘‘Hey rookie. Just remember — I’m good, you’re not.’’

Benson, 50, was born in Fayetteville and went to college at Ouachita Baptist. He retired two years ago because of knee problems, but not before accumulating a wealth of stories about his clashes with the stars.

And not all of them involve Benson being put in his place. Occasionally, an official does have the upper hand.

‘‘This is called selective officiating,’’ Benson explained, drawing a laugh.

Benson described a time Bill Laimbeer started complaining after a call went against him. A short while later, Laimbeer was whistled for a 3-second violation — then an offensive foul.

‘‘He looks at me and says, ’I got the message,’’’ Benson said.

Benson’s run-ins weren’t limited to players, of course. In 2000, he was involved in what he calls his ‘‘Mark Cuban situation’’ — the Dallas Mavericks’ owner waited outside the officials’ locker room after a loss, upset about the officiating.

‘‘Am I mistaken or did No. 30 just hand them the game? Nice game No. 30,’’ Cuban said.

Benson, who wore No. 30, had called Dallas’ Shawn Bradley for a foul when he swung his elbows after grabbing a rebound late in the game. Cuban was also upset at what he felt was a missed goaltending call.

‘‘It wasn’t goaltending,’’ Benson said Monday. ‘‘The tape backed us up.’’

Sometimes, Benson said, a coach is happy to be thrown out of the game — perhaps he needs to vent or shake things up. Chuck Daly was once tossed — but after hearing why he was ejected, Daly responded oddly.

‘‘He says, ’I know it and I just want to thank you very much for that!’’’ Benson said.

Benson explained why officiating might seem inconsistent at times. For example, more contact is allowed around the basket than on the perimeter.

‘‘It’s a man’s game in the paint,’’ Benson said.

Benson said a referee wants to be absolutely certain the call is correct if a player fouls out.

‘‘When that sixth foul occurs,’’ Benson said. ‘‘God rest his soul — Ray Charles needs to see it.’’

Benson did plenty of traveling during his officiating days. He was asked after his speech where referees can expect the most trouble.

Benson didn’t single out any one city, but he said certain regions are difficult.

‘‘In the winter,’’ Benson said. ‘‘All cities up north are the worst cities to referee in.’’