PDA

View Full Version : Can you believe it?? Mavericks ranked a deserving fourth by power rankings

erub
04-03-2001, 04:05 PM
ESPN Power Rankings (http://espn.go.com/nba/powerrankings/index.html)

Let's hope we can keep it up! I'm going to the Utah game on Sat., sitting on row AA, section 101!!! Gonna raise some hell!

Hoopsmeister
04-03-2001, 04:46 PM
Meanwhile over at cnn/si, Dallas actually drops from 7th to 8th. While Portland doesn't move from 6 and the kings rise from 5 to 2. I'm not actually arguing the kings ranking but how do they rise 3 in a week we beat them and we fall 2? Its not like we lost to New Jersey or even New York in that period.

Hoopsmeister
04-03-2001, 05:07 PM
Hey! I'm out of newbie status i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif

big_pth
04-03-2001, 05:09 PM
Power rankings don't mean squat. The Mavs are #5 in the West, according to the rankings that count. Wins and losses.

djb
04-03-2001, 05:20 PM
Mavs ranked ahead of the Fakers and Spazz..gotta love that i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif

madape
04-04-2001, 07:38 AM
Check out the only ratings system without a media bias: The Sagarin computer rankings. Right now, the Mavs are fourth, a little bit behind the Jazz.

Computer Rankings (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/nba0001.htm)

dallaslaker
04-04-2001, 07:50 AM
I like that computer rankings system, very interesting. I noticed that our record looks really bad vs. the Top 10 teams. However, I our team has significantly changed with the addition of Howard and Booth. WIth those two guys added, we have been a serious playoff terror. Too bad you can't look at rating AFTER they joined.

madape
04-04-2001, 11:56 AM
Actually the ratings are wieghted more towards "recent play". How recent, I'm not sure. It is interesting that the Lakers are only the eight best in recent games - also the "recent games" rating does not take into account the strength of teams that the Mavs have beaten. It would certainly be much higher if that was taken into account.

turbo.mav
04-04-2001, 11:18 PM
all that matters to me is the W-L column

ReggieThetaChi
04-07-2001, 08:31 PM
Yeah, rankings mean nothing to alot of people. If rankings were a legitimate way to show how well a team is playing, well, we would never be bitching about college football's lack of a play off system (Miami would have waxed OU, just thought I'd throw in my two cents). Like most of the fellow mavs freaks in here, the only rank that matters is the rank in the standings.