PDA

View Full Version : Mav fans--this is your chance--your new job--GM of the San Antonio Spurs...

Big Shot Rob
02-02-2007, 01:10 AM
To all Mav fans--

I know you guys are excited knowing that the Spurs suck this year.

And the Spurs fans are leaping off the ledges in droves.

But I was wondering--

If you were the Spurs GM--what moves would you try to make.

Would you keep your draft picks and expiring contracts. In other words--live and die with the current roster and pretty much concede the division to the Mavs or the Suns.

Or would you make a move before the trading deadline.

fluid.forty.one
02-02-2007, 01:11 AM
Make a move, Duncan won't be Duncan forever.

Dirkadirkastan
02-02-2007, 01:12 AM
Are you asking how badly we'd screw up that team to pave the way for our own?

nashtymavsfan13
02-02-2007, 01:13 AM
I would probably trade Udrih and Barry for Maggete and play this season out. Then at the end of the season I rebuild, especially the bench. Trade for more draft picks and become younger. Build the team around Tony Parker and move Manu.

Big Shot Rob
02-02-2007, 01:15 AM
Are you asking how badly we'd screw up that team to pave the way for our own?

No--seriously--as an exercise--imagine you were at the decision-making center of the organization.

Dirkadirkastan
02-02-2007, 01:19 AM
No--seriously--as an exercise--imagine you were at the decision-making center of the organization.

I'd start by getting rid of Bowen. And Horry. The big 3 still have a couple years as a core left in them though.

Oh yeah and get a center. It's pretty funny that at the time San Antonio thought that by shipping off their centers they'd be engineering a killing machine specifically targeting Dallas.

shaw-xx
02-02-2007, 01:27 AM
^ Get rid of Bowen and Horry.

Mister Hanky
02-02-2007, 01:36 AM
Bowen, Horry and Finley should prolly retire and Oberto should get more minutes.

jleefilled
02-02-2007, 02:01 AM
I'd try to make a move if I were the Spurs. Obviously, you keep Duncan and Parker. Ginobili is expendable, but I'm not sure how much you can get in return for him. Basically, the Spurs need to invest heavily in youth and just wait until it pans out. With the Mavericks, it was a three year project of waiting for Josh Howard and Devin Harris to start maturing as a players. If it takes three years, Duncan will be 33 and in all likelihood still productive. Should everything go right, I think there might be a two or three year window for the Spurs to win a championship with Parker in his prime and Duncan near retirement.

Mister Hanky
02-02-2007, 02:11 AM
Ginobili is expendable?

He is one of the most reliable players on that team. I'm confused.

ballin_boi
02-02-2007, 02:16 AM
I'd make the following moves...

SA gets:
Austin Croshere

Dal gets:
Tim Duncan

and

SA gets:
Dampier
Stack

Dal gets:
Parker
Ginobili

Dallas New Lineup for the next 3-5 years.

C - Duncan/Diop/Mbenga
PF - Nowitzki/Duncan/Mbenga
SF - Howard/Ginobili/George
SG - Ginobili/Terry/Buck (Terry still gets more mins. at SG than Gino)
PG - Parker/Harris/Johnson

Dynasty anyone?

jleefilled
02-02-2007, 02:30 AM
Ginobili is expendable?

He is one of the most reliable players on that team. I'm confused.

Okay, maybe it would be better to keep Manu, but still, sometimes you have to have to make tough decisions if you're thinking to rebuild.

Five-ofan
02-02-2007, 03:08 AM
I would make a really hard look at myself. Are we a tweak away from winning one more with duncan? Or do we need to face facts that we arent winning it right now and work towards something else. I would then formulate two plans of action. BTW how the heck does that deal get maggette Nashty? I think hes a perfect fit for them but i dont think the clips even think about doing that deal. I go for an athletic wing player because this team definitely needs someone with a hop in their step. I would try maggette but if that didnt work, i would go after someone like trevor ariza. My pipe dream would be gerald wallace since he doesnt really fit the bobcats plans that well anymore(with the drafting of ammo and such) and he can opt out after this year(he will) but i dont see how you could get him.

Once i realized none of those were likely to happen, i would do the unthinkable and begin to think about giving up duncan and gino and rebuilding. If i decide to do that, the first phone call i make is to the chicago bulls and then the boston celtics.

The first idea i would have involves the celtics whom im fairly certain would love almost any deal involving Duncan. I would actually prefer this to the bulls deal but i dont think they would do it since they suck right now(though im quite certain they would make the playoffs after this) Duncan+necesarry filler for Jefferson, greene, one of the young pgs,perkins ratliff and a first.

The bulls may not be willing to give up all of their young depth to get pau gasol, but i guarantee you they do it for tim effing duncan. I would then try to do one of these deals to chicago,
kirk hinrich, Luol Deng, thabo sefalosha, Tyrus thomas, and pj brown along with the knicks first for tim duncan and some of those older guys they need to get rid of(like horry and fin and so forth to make cap numbers work). This drives san antonio fans absolutely nuts but in the long run it could be a good idea. Pj brown gives you cap space and the spurs have a history of good luck in lotteries with dominant big men in them. This gives you a lineup of
Parker
Gino
Deng
Thomas
Pj Brown/oberto

then i start looking at trading manu ginobili. Orlando desperately needs a two guard. Darko, trevor ariza and hedo and a first for Gino and Oberto.

Gives you this final lineup
Parker/kirk
Kirk/hedo/thabo
Deng/Ariza/Thabo
Tyrus/Draft pick
Elson/butler/draft pick

You are extremely young and athletic now and have 3 first round picks one that hopefully nets you a guy like oden or durant.

Im pretty sleepy and this is radical as hell and i came up with this in about 10 minutes but its something to think about. You are giving up roughly the next two years though you would probably still make the playoffs this year. But in about 2/3 years, you could be on the verge of something special. (plus this deprives the mavs of one contender)

The other idea i would have involves the celtics whom im fairly certain wouldnt turn down any deal involving Duncan. I would actually prefer this to the bulls deal but i dont know if they would do it since they suck right now(though im quite certain they would make the playoffs after this) Duncan+necesarry filler for Jefferson, greene, one of the young pgs,perkins ratliff and a first.

edit- i know they arent going to give up on the season when they have the 3rd best record in the nba.

Usually Lurkin
02-02-2007, 08:10 AM
I'd make a speech.
"Tim, it's time you did something Admiral. Maybe your knee, maybe your back. We're the Spurs. We only need one ping pong ball."

dalmations202
02-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Personally, I'd try to trade Ginobili and filler for a threat at the sf. IE, a Kirilenko, or Lewis. Or take a shot by trying to trade for another big like Brad Miller. This year they are basically toast though because they can't keep up with the speed of the Mavs, and Phoenix.

Your core is Parker, TD. You have about 3-4 years available to win with TD. He is the inside force. Parker is the slashing speed PG. Ginobili is good as well, if you could find a defensive minded SF (who could guard 2-4) and be a spot up shooter (offensive threat --Not Bowen) -- you would be set with Ginobili as the SG. Problem is, you have to give to get.

Horry, Fin, Barry are all good players, but they need to be 10-12 --- not 6-8.

In the offseason, you try to replace what these three bring. Fin/Barry the offense and Horry the athletic frontline tweener who can shoot the 3.

Just a shot in the dark that I might take a look at, if NY would: Ginobili/Williams for Crawford/Jefferies. NY gets Ginobili and expiring -- SA gets younger talent (might work).

DevinHarriswillstart
02-02-2007, 09:47 AM
What assets do you have? Gin, Parker, Duncan have monster contracts.....Bowen, Horry, Finley, Barry are just about done.....what do you have to offer that teams want? Young Udrih might be one of your more valuable players to trade, young pg with lots of upside are quite valuable in this league...(Philly wanted Harris for Iverson).....

I would shop Manu to be honest....I'm not sure who wants that contract, but he is young with versatiliy. I'm not sure what you woudl replace him with though???? I just think the Spurs need a new bench which is tough to do in the middle of a season.

TripleDipping
02-02-2007, 09:55 AM
The Spurs will not get anyone of quality unless either Ginobili or Parker are traded. Out of those two, Ginobili is the expendable one.

Tokey41
02-02-2007, 10:34 AM
Ask around to the following teams: Atlanta, Boston, Charlotte, Orlando, Chicago, and possibly Portland. I think if your offering any of Duncan/Gino/Parker they will listen. Really you just need younger players. Building a team around Parker would be a good idea but moving Manu and Duncan for as much young athletic depth as possible might just be your best bet.

Your bench is pretty much done, send them to Miami where old used up basketball players go to die. I'm not sure how much value you can get out of them, but who knows? A young project might be worth it down the stretch.

alexamenos
02-02-2007, 11:46 AM
To all Mav fans--

I know you guys are excited knowing that the Spurs suck this year.

And the Spurs fans are leaping off the ledges in droves.

But I was wondering--

If you were the Spurs GM--what moves would you try to make.

Would you keep your draft picks and expiring contracts. In other words--live and die with the current roster and pretty much concede the division to the Mavs or the Suns.

Or would you make a move before the trading deadline.

first I'd advise parker to schedule his wedding for a time when it won't conflict with Spurs B-ball, like late may or early june.....

2nd i'd trade duncan and ginobilli to Dallas for anthony johnson and next year's 2nd round pick...

3rd i'd advise Horry and Bowen to spend more time working on their retirement portfolios and less time three-point shot...

cheers

DarenG
02-02-2007, 03:46 PM
That's difficult because most of the pieces the Spurs could move, I don't think anybody wants anymore (Bowen, Horry). You would have to move one of the big 3. Duncan is untouchable. You could move Parker or Manu. However, if you move one of the big 3 then I think the Spurs are saying they give up. Listen to what Pop has been saying. He thinks come playoff time they will be right there. In a 7 game series this team will still be dangerous. To think they won't is stupid.