PDA

View Full Version : Arenas bets teammate $20,000 on 3pt contest

TheBlueVan
02-03-2007, 11:48 PM
this guy is one of the most immature players in the NBA

what a waste of talent, if he wins the nba mvp, i'll go watch hockey

http://deadspin.com/sports/gilbert-arenas/deshawn-stevenson-doesnt-care-about-his-money-233771.php

nashtymavsfan13
02-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Arenas is arrogant and immature, but he is a darn good player. His confidence is one of his main assests of him being one of the best scorers in the NBA, in addition to being a downfall on days his shot is off.

Drbio
02-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Isn't that illegal?

mqywaaah
02-03-2007, 11:56 PM
I totally agree with what Nashty just said.

MavsX
02-04-2007, 12:10 AM
gimme that

AxdemxO
02-04-2007, 12:23 AM
Whn u got money like that and feel like u dont know what to do with it, why not..its all for fun...just like many of you have a bet for the SB tomm

nashtymavsfan13
02-04-2007, 12:31 AM
Whn u got money like that and feel like u dont know what to do with it, why not..its all for fun...just like many of you have a bet for the SB tomm

We're talking more about the way Arenas acted during and after the bet more than we are talking about the bet itself.

SaltwaterChaffy
02-04-2007, 02:03 AM
Haha. I just posted the following on another board two minutes ago, so I might as well post it here.

I can't believe anyone is calling out Gilbert here. First of all, Gilbert is awesome in anything he does. Secondly, why the hell should trash talk be banned in a prop bet? Deshawn not taking advantage is not Gilbert's fault.

Arenas = my favorite non-Mav in the league.

Nash13
02-04-2007, 04:31 AM
i'm going to back up Salt.

How do you not like Gilbert Arenas? I thought his reaction to his first game winning 3 was one of the best moments in the last couple of years.

Gilbert Arenas= my favorite non-mav player in the NBA. Before our second 12win streak, i was thinking of him for MVP. I still think he's second to Dirk.

TexasSportsFan4
02-04-2007, 08:04 AM
I don't get why people say they can't stand Arenas. He's a great player, he doesn't talk trash or try to hype himself up, he just get's it done on the court. He is definitly one of my top 10 favorite players.

As for the betting thing, I could see where it would be illegal but maybe it's not since its not an actual game but a 3pt contest just between the 2.

The Crippler
02-04-2007, 08:59 AM
Arenas is hilarious.

samoan-maverickII
02-04-2007, 02:52 PM
I think Arenas just does these things to pump himself up for up coming obstacles. He's gonna need every single bit of juice he can get to beat Dirk anyways.

antoinewalker
02-04-2007, 04:43 PM
gilbert is awesome. his personality is so entertaining.

spreedom
02-04-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't get why people say they can't stand Arenas. He's a great player, he doesn't talk trash or try to hype himself up, he just get's it done on the court. He is definitly one of my top 10 favorite players.

Are you kidding me? The guy is one of the biggest self-promoters in the league.. and to me, he's clearly a stat whore who would rather score 50 and lose than score 25 and win. I wouldn't want him on my team at all. I'm content with having the best player on the league on our team, folks.

FINtastic
02-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Gilbert is the funniest player in the league. I could see myself not liking him on my team, but overall he's great for the league.

Hydhypedplaya
02-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Are you kidding me? The guy is one of the biggest self-promoters in the league.. and to me, he's clearly a stat whore who would rather score 50 and lose than score 25 and win. I wouldn't want him on my team at all. I'm content with having the best player on the league on our team, folks.

okay you obviously know nothing about Arenas. Like the poster above said he is damn entertaining and has an excellent personality.

nah-vit-ski
02-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Wow, I guess no one can have fun anymore........Lighten up people, Gil is the most entertaining player in the league.

nashtymavsfan13
02-04-2007, 09:57 PM
He is entertaining and has a good personality, but he does get childish and arrogant at times. For example, the only way to describe the end of the video clip when he's rolling around on the floor is childish. And, like someone else said, he is more in it for the stats than he is for the W. He promotes himself a lot of the time and can be very selfish at times. He's a great player, one of the best scorers in the NBA, and I like him as a player, but his arrogance and childlike behavior shouldn't just be laughed at and passed for nothing all the time.

bernardos70
02-04-2007, 10:32 PM
I see nothing wrong here. He's having fun. Not a big deal.

FINtastic
02-04-2007, 10:57 PM
Gilbert's teammates seem to like him for the most part. And Gilbert doesn't really trash any other players (he bit his tongue when kobe went off on him for having no conscience). Sure he self-promotes a bit, but it seems to be all in good fun.

FINtastic
02-04-2007, 11:08 PM
lmao, I was reading Gilbert's wikipedia entry, and I came across his ideal shoe commercial -

You know how I always throw my jersey into the stands after a game? In Washington, they just go crazy for it. So in this commercial, that's what I'm gonna do with my shoes. I've just hit a game winner, and I throw these shoes. Everyone starts to react, and you see everything in slow motion. Everyone's pushing, shoving, doing whatever it takes to try to get to these shoes. People from the 400 level, they're jumping off the ledge, they're missing the pile, hitting nothing but chairs, and you can just see in people's faces like, Ooooh, that hurt. While all this stuff's going on, one of the shoes pops out of the crowd, and a little girl gets it and she takes off. A couple of people see she has it, and they start chasing her, and she's looking back running—and then she gets clotheslined by a kid in a wheelchair. So he picks the shoe up and says—he's gonna have the only line in there—"They said I couldn't get it. Heh. Impossible is nothing." And then he rolls off.

mqywaaah
02-04-2007, 11:32 PM
And Arenas talks highly of Dirk if memory serves me correct. So to me, if you got respect for any Mav, you've got my respect in return.

spreedom
02-05-2007, 12:51 AM
okay you obviously know nothing about Arenas. Like the poster above said he is damn entertaining and has an excellent personality.

I said he's a self-promoter and a numbers guy. Tell me how I'm wrong in either of those assessments. When he got cut from Team USA, he said that he'd score 100 on both D'Antoni and McMillan.. whereas I feel a highly motivated player that cares about the wins would care more about beating the coaches, instead of getting on ESPN for scoring 50 points...

FINtastic
02-05-2007, 02:17 AM
I said he's a self-promoter and a numbers guy. Tell me how I'm wrong in either of those assessments. When he got cut from Team USA, he said that he'd score 100 on both D'Antoni and McMillan.. whereas I feel a highly motivated player that cares about the wins would care more about beating the coaches, instead of getting on ESPN for scoring 50 points...

Well ironically enough, he did beat Phoenix the night he dropped 54 points on D'antoni's Suns.

mqywaaah
02-05-2007, 02:34 AM
Ok so whos the enemy?

RePLAY
02-05-2007, 03:35 AM
last time i checked, Gilbert admited that he use to vote himself in the Allstar games for the last couple years. If thats not self promotion, i dont know what is.

Also...saying that he will score 50 and more against the coaches who rejected him for team usa...that says alot. WOuld have been better if he just said he will WIN against them. This guy is all about stats for himself.

FINtastic
02-05-2007, 10:14 AM
last time i checked, Gilbert admited that he use to vote himself in the Allstar games for the last couple years. If thats not self promotion, i dont know what is.

A ton of players in this league self-promote. At least Gilbert is honest about it, and he does it all in a very lovable way. I probably should have hated him for filling out all-star ballots for himself, but I couldn't help but laugh at it when Gilbert admitted he did it. Moreover, his great comments about giving up a season to play against Duke so he could drop 85 points on them. I hate Duke with a passion so that pretty much made him an immortal in my book.

DarenG
02-05-2007, 12:41 PM
A ton of players in this league self-promote. At least Gilbert is honest about it, and he does it all in a very lovable way.

Exactly. You know where the guy stands.

RePLAY
02-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Exactly. You know where the guy stands.

and where he stands isn't team basketball. The good thing is, he maybe end up like how MJ and Kobe was. MJ and Kobe went through the "me" stage...eventually learning to play team ball. One day arenas will realize that...but till then..he better learn to paly Defense. lol

nashtymavsfan13
02-05-2007, 08:19 PM
and where he stands isn't team basketball. The good thing is, he maybe end up like how MJ and Kobe was. MJ and Kobe went through the "me" stage...eventually learning to play team ball. One day arenas will realize that...but till then..he better learn to paly Defense. lol

I'm still not convinced Kobe understands team ball. He still isn't good at balancing his passing and his shot selection it's always one or the other with him.

StackAttack
02-05-2007, 09:17 PM
I love Gil.

nikeball
02-06-2007, 10:54 AM
a good 10 minutes spent watching at work.