PDA

View Full Version : 2007 Sprite Slam Dunk Competitors

HexNBA
02-05-2007, 05:18 PM
Competitors Set for Sprite Slam Dunk at NBA All-Star Saturday Night Presented by EA Sports (http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/news/sprite_samdunk_070205.html)
NEW YORK, Feb. 5, 2007 – New York’s Nate Robinson will defend his crown in the 2007 Sprite Slam Dunk competition to be held on NBA All-Star Saturday Night presented by EA SPORTS™, Feb. 17 at Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas. Robinson will compete against three first-time entrants – Boston’s Gerald Green, who is an alumnus of the NBA Development League, Orlando’s Dwight Howard and Chicago’s Tyrus Thomas – for this year’s title.

Really, thats the best they could do? Weak.

FINtastic
02-05-2007, 05:19 PM
Yeah, I'm not that impressed with the field this year either. Normally big dudes don't really make for the most impressive dunkers in slam dunk competitions.

dirno2000
02-05-2007, 05:37 PM
I can see Howard but what's wrong with Gerald Green and Tyrus Thomas? Big name players don't want to do it and those two are among the best athletes in the league.

They should replace Howard with James White

WurzburgBorn
02-05-2007, 07:32 PM
Competitors Set for Sprite Slam Dunk at NBA All-Star Saturday Night Presented by EA Sports (http://www.nba.com/allstar2007/news/sprite_samdunk_070205.html)

Really, thats the best they could do? Weak.

Isn't Dwight Howard about the biggest name they've gotten for the dunk contest in a decade? Usually it's rookies and scrubs if I remember.

Male30Dan
02-05-2007, 07:36 PM
Amare?

mkat
02-05-2007, 07:40 PM
get Pops in there. kid's crazy.

nashtymavsfan13
02-05-2007, 09:06 PM
That's a pretty weak field, too bad Lebron and Iguodala won't do it. I'll be rooting for D12.

Tokey41
02-05-2007, 09:13 PM
Can't blame Igoudala... he got screwed last year, badly.

nashtymavsfan13
02-05-2007, 09:15 PM
Can't blame Igoudala... he got screwed last year, badly.

I agree, I don't blame him but if it were me it would make me really want to prove myself and want to win it even more.

shaw-xx
02-05-2007, 10:03 PM
Is it only me or anyone wants see Devin in it?

dirno2000
02-05-2007, 10:07 PM
Devin doesn't have dunk contest hops.

Five-ofan
02-05-2007, 10:11 PM
Am i the only one who remembers gerald greene beating josh mcroberts in the high school dunk contest a couple of years ago and doing a version of the vince dunk except he put his arm up to his ARMPIT in the rim instead of up to his elbow(he did cheat and grab the rim with his off arm though) that kid has crazy hops.

Five-ofan
02-05-2007, 10:12 PM
Devin doesn't have dunk contest hops.
devin actually tested as having a higher vert than iggy did. Devin had a 37, iggy had a 35(which is unbelievably low for him)

Five-ofan
02-05-2007, 10:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJemla9Pd38

he didnt get as high as i remembered but he was up there. thats the whole dunk contest. if james white was in this, he would EASILY win though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQFAacz_oE A warm up dunk for greene.

SaltwaterChaffy
02-05-2007, 10:49 PM
Green and Thomas are both sick leapers. Don't know how creative a dunker Thomas is, but Green is an awesome inclusion. I'm making him the favorite.

Dtownsfinest
02-05-2007, 10:55 PM
Isn't there a age restriction on entering the slam dunk competition which is why you usually only see 1st or 2nd year players in there? I'm sure Iggy would love to do it again but I don't believe he can unless there is no longer a age restriction.

And I agree with above i'd love to see James White get in it. He'd kill any competition thrown at him. Gerald Green has hops as well. Don't sleep on him. I don't have any problem with the candidates. As athletic Dwight Howard is I wouldn't rule him out either. A guy by the name of Shawn Kemp had a similiar frame.

FINtastic
02-05-2007, 11:23 PM
Tyrus Thomas strikes me as more of an in-game dunker than a creative dunk-contest dunker.

nashtymavsfan13
02-05-2007, 11:27 PM
Isn't there a age restriction on entering the slam dunk competition which is why you usually only see 1st or 2nd year players in there? I'm sure Iggy would love to do it again but I don't believe he can unless there is no longer a age restriction.

Iggy was asked for this year, but declined. As far as I know, there is no age restriction, it's just that the older guys don't want to be in it.

TheBlueVan
02-06-2007, 12:20 AM
i say we get Cro in there!

dirno2000
02-06-2007, 12:29 AM
devin actually tested as having a higher vert than iggy did. Devin had a 37, iggy had a 35(which is unbelievably low for him)

That does sound low but I think they're both one foot jumpers. Devin has had a few nice game dunks but nothing to make me believe he's dunk contest worthy.

shaw-xx
02-06-2007, 12:35 AM
I just like Devin's dunk which is fast, smooth and agile.

nashtymavsfan13
02-06-2007, 12:43 AM
Devin is not dunk contest worthy, but he can throw it down when he wants to. Iggy definetly has better hops now, something must have been wrong with him that test day/he's improved his leg strength and thus his hops since then.

Five-ofan
02-06-2007, 12:47 AM
That does sound low but I think they're both one foot jumpers. Devin has had a few nice game dunks but nothing to make me believe he's dunk contest worthy.
oh i agree i wasnt trying to say devin should be in it was just pointing out that vert numbers dont always show what someone can do in a dunk contest.

DavidDaMonkey
02-06-2007, 01:02 AM
Didn't JJB show off some short guy moves a while back? Is there a weeman division?

V2M
02-06-2007, 11:54 AM
Thomas only dunking for dough

By K.C. Johnson
Tribune staff reporter

February 6, 2007

SALT LAKE CITY -- Perhaps Tyrus Thomas will display more energy and enthusiasm during the slam-dunk contest than he did Monday in discussing his participation.

Asked if he were excited about becoming the first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event as part of All-Star weekend, Thomas barely looked up from untying his shoes.

"Not really," Thomas said. "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

Asked if an opportunity to rub elbows with some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, Thomas kept unlacing.

"I'm just into the free money," he said. "That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

Thomas makes $3.26 million.

The winner gets $35,000. The runner-up receives $22,500. Third and fourth place are worth $16,125.

Thomas' competition is Orlando's Dwight Howard, Boston's Gerald Green and defending champion Nate Robinson of the Knicks.

Michael Jordan will serve as a judge along with heavyweights Dominique Wilkins, Julius Erving, Kobe Bryant and Vince Carter. This slightly stirred Thomas.

"I might have to break out some tapes of old contests," he said. "But I'm just taking it for what it's worth."

Jordan is the event's only back-to-back winner, and his winning dunk from the foul line at the Chicago Stadium in 1988 still resonates with Bulls fans.

Copyright © 2007, The Chicago Tribune

TheBlueVan
02-06-2007, 04:50 PM
maybe thats why the bulls look like they dont give a crap some of the time

mo' money

fluid.forty.one
02-06-2007, 05:03 PM
*yawn*

HexNBA
02-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Thomas slammed after saying contest about money

CHICAGO -- The Chicago Bulls fined forward Tyrus Thomas $10,000 on Tuesday, one day after the rookie said he only was interested in the money for the NBA's slam dunk contest.

The first Bull since Scottie Pippen in 1990 to participate in the event, Thomas was quoted in Tuesday's editions of the Chicago Tribune as saying: "I'm just going to go out there, get my check and call it a day."

When asked if being around some of the game's greats could be beneficial for a rookie, he responded, "I'm just into the free money. That's it. I'll just do whatever when I get out there."

The winner of the Feb. 17 event in Las Vegas gets $35,000. The runner-up earns $22,500, with the third and fourth-place finishers getting $16,125. Joining Thomas are defending champion Nate Robinson of New York, Orlando All-Star Dwight Howard and Boston's Gerald Green.

"This fine is an appropriate response to the remarks Tyrus made concerning his participation in the slam dunk contest," Bulls executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson said in a statement.

"It is a poor reflection on Tyrus individually and a poor reflection on the Bulls organization, and I am certainly disappointed. The league office has chosen Tyrus to participate in one of its All-Star events and that is an honor that should be accepted with humility. I spoke to Tyrus this morning and am confident he understands that he made a mistake with his words and that he also understands the importance of representing the Bulls and the NBA in a positive way."

Thomas has appeared in 41 games, averaging 3.5 points and 2.7 rebounds.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

fluid.forty.one
02-06-2007, 07:34 PM
Wow. Tyrus Thomas is a moron.

FINtastic
02-06-2007, 08:04 PM
I guess I was right about not expecting much out of Thomas in the dunk contest (although I was right for the wrong reasons).

jleefilled
02-07-2007, 04:13 AM
I don't really see anything wrong with what Thomas said. Would we rather athletes lie to us all the time about the significance of events like the slam dunk competion? He probably said it because he's nervous and he doesn't want to embarrass himself anyways. What is up with the Bulls? First, the ban on head bands, and now a $10000 fine for being honest. If anything, a thing like this should be kept in-house in my view.

FINtastic
02-07-2007, 11:21 AM
Well, you would hope that a guy like Thomas would have a little pride in what he was doing. Not saying he should work himself into a nervous wreck about it, but if he's going to accept the invitation to the slam dunk contest, you would hope he is going to take it seriously.

jleefilled
02-07-2007, 12:22 PM
No doubt, but I see the fine as punishment because what he said isn't good marketing for the league. I wouldn't be surprised if the chain of command for the carrying out of the fine started with Stern himself. Does it not have Stern written all over it? I just think it could be handled much better if someone just pulls the kid to the side and lets him know that what he said is not promoting the product that keeps him paid.