PDA

View Full Version : He's a Baller

rmacomic
02-07-2007, 01:13 PM
John Amaechi, who played at Penn State and for five seasons in the NBA, will announce he is gay in an upcoming book.
http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c303/rmacomic/nba_maninmiddle_195.jpg

The cover for "Man in the Middle," John Amaechi's upcoming book.
The book, published by ESPN Books (owned by the Walt Disney Company, parent company of ESPN), is entitled "Man in the Middle." It is due to be released later this month.

Amaechi, born in Massachusetts but raised in England, would be the first NBA player to come out publicly. Few other men's professional major sport athletes have announced they are gay. Among them are football player Esera Tuaolo, baseball player Billy Bean and baseball umpire Dave Pallone.

Amaechi, a 6-10 center, played for Cleveland, Orlando and Utah during five NBA seasons. He averaged 6.2 points and 2.6 rebounds before retiring from the league in 2003.

He is currently known in Britain as a television personality and for helping fund the Amaechi Basketball Center in Manchester.

He played collegiately at Penn State after transferring from Vanderbilt.

Amaechi will also be the subject of ESPN's "Outside the Lines" on Sunday (9:30 a.m. ET). The book will also be excerpted next week on ESPN.com and in the next issue of ESPN The Magazine.

Anyone want to comment on this one?

HexNBA
02-07-2007, 01:20 PM
Good for him?

mkat
02-07-2007, 01:27 PM
who cares?

rmacomic
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Espn is making a big deal about it. Honestly I was surprised there wasn't a thread already.

fluid.forty.one
02-07-2007, 01:30 PM
The title of the thread made me laugh.

dude1394
02-07-2007, 02:00 PM
Man in the middle....hmmmm..

Grammaton Cleric
02-07-2007, 02:04 PM
Man in the middle....hmmmm..

Manwich...

SaltwaterChaffy
02-07-2007, 05:50 PM
http://the-op.com/images/122-amazon-man.jpg

Usually Lurkin
02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
is there really a gay baseball player named Billy Bean?

Kirobaito
02-07-2007, 09:58 PM
is there really a gay baseball player named Billy Bean?
Not to be confused with the A's General Manager and former baseball player Billy Beane.

The gay Billy Bean is one of the panelists on the GSN show "I've Got a Secret".

mqywaaah
02-07-2007, 11:10 PM
What turns men into manwich lovers?

TheTao
02-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Sports: derided by some for its disconnect from "real life", its ability to divert attention from real problems: war, poverty, racism, etc. Yet, here it is, we have the forum, the playing field, where society confronts social injustice. Jackie Robinson breaking down the barriers. Still waiting for a gay man to do the same. Amaechi helped open the door of the closet a little more, but who will it be that destroys the cage? Years from now "don't ask don't tell" will be an anachrohism, but who will be the icon--the Michael Jordan, the Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.--of the historic change? My guess: an active NBA player, who plays through the drama, with the nation's spotlight on him, scrutinizing him down to the sweat on his brow...The nation still awaits this strong, proud, gay MAN that can look unflinchingly into the eyes of oppression: he IS self-determination and destiny, throwin' down a tongue waggin' in your face tomahawk jam, as he soars into history......

bradleywillcrushyou44
02-08-2007, 12:51 AM
i hear he wasn't afraid to get physical down low

Darth Ape
02-08-2007, 10:47 AM
I remember John Amaechi very well.

He loved to drive it hard to the hole where he sometimes would finish off with a smooth finger roll.

I'm sure his fans were quite surprised to see his cross-over.

Flacolaco
02-08-2007, 10:55 AM
i hear he wasn't afraid to get physical down low

Well done sir

rmacomic
02-08-2007, 12:11 PM
I just remembered something.
Wasn't Dennis Rodman gay? Or half-gay? Doesn't that count. He was open about it before he retired as well.

chumdawg
02-08-2007, 12:13 PM
Well, was Dennis Rodman actually human? I think that's why it doesn't count.

rmacomic
02-08-2007, 12:17 PM
Well, was Dennis Rodman actually human? I think that's why it doesn't count.
They called him The Worm. Maybe Rodman reproduces Asexually.:p

kg_veteran
02-08-2007, 01:34 PM
I don't get it. Sexual orientation is not supposed to be anybody's business, until somebody wants to "come out", at which point it is supposed to be something everybody cares about.

MavKikiNYC
02-08-2007, 02:48 PM
I don't get it. Sexual orientation is not supposed to be anybody's business, until somebody wants to "come out", at which point it is supposed to be something everybody cares about.
Unfortunately it's still an issue, particularly in professional sports, whether the athlete publicizes his/her sexuality or not, and in some cases, whether the athlete is even gay (or not). You can cite a lot of examples in pro sports--Jeremy Shockey's comments regarding the possibility of having a gay teammate; Terrell Owens' comments implying that Jeff Garcia was gay (though he's not); the anonymous letter (attributed to Roy Williams among others) filled with anti-gay slurs sent by Cowboys' players to DMN reporter Jean-Jacques Taylor after Taylor wrote a a mildly critical article regarding player performance versus player salaries.

As for Amaechi, I don't think his book is merely an announcement of his sexuality. Rather, he has a perspective about being gay and trying to perform in a professional sports league. The fact that NO active players in any American major sports league publically acknowledge their homosexuality makes his perspective unique. Something tells me, though, that he isn't out of the NBA today because he's gay, but because he wasn't committed to the sport. He says as much himself in the book.

Penn State and Rene Portland recently reached a settlement with a former player (Jennifer Harris). Portland, who has publicly proclaimed that she will not allow lesbians to participate on her team, mistakenly thought Harris was a lesbian. Portland accused the player of being a lesiban and harrassed the player before finally kicking the player of the team. PSU's own internal investigation found the coach guilty of creating a hostile environment and violating the university's anti-discrimination policies. With all that, Portland was not fired and remains coach at Penn State today.

Something tells me the issue hasn't gone away.

Former Player, Penn State Coach Settle Lesbian Bias Suit

Posted: February 5, 2007 - 2:00 pm ET
(State College, Pennsylvania) A former player on Penn State's women's basketball team has settled a discrimination suit she brought against coach Rene Portland.

The announcement of the settlement was made Monday by the National Center for Lesbian Rights which represented Jennifer Harris, and attorney's for Portland. Details of the agreement have not been made public by agreement between the parties.

The lawsuit also named athletic director Tim Curley and the university as defendants.

"Penn State, Mr. Curley and Coach Portland have disputed Ms. Harris' allegations and have denied any liability with respect to the complaints filed against them," a statement from Portland said. "Ms. Harris has agreed to permanently withdraw and end her legal actions against all parties."

Harris contended in the suit that Portland discriminated against her because the longtime coach perceived her to be a lesbian. Harris is not gay.

The lawsuit said that "believing Jennifer was a lesbian, Ms. Portland tried to force her to leave the team, humiliating, berating and ostracizing her."

In 2005 Harris transferred to James Madison University`.

Penn State last year conducted its own internal investigation of Portland. It concluded that she violated school policies with alleged hostile treatment of Harris. The university fined Portland $10,000 and said she would be dismissed for any future violations.

Portland disagreed with that finding, called the school's investigation flawed and maintained that Harris' departure was purely related to basketball.

The lawsuit was to have gone to trial this spring.

Portland is one of the most successful women’s basketball coaches in the United States, collecting seven conference championships and eight conference tournament titles in her career. She is the sixth winningest NCAA Division I coach of all-time with nearly 700 career wins.

Harris, meanwhile, has been sidelined at James Madison University due to a persistent ankle injury.

Although she underwent successful ankle surgery on January 19th, she is likely to be out for the remainder of the season.

As a freshman at Penn State, Jennifer Harris, a guard, contributed off the bench, averaging 9.7 minutes a game.

In her sophomore year, she earned a larger role, starting 22 of the 34 games and averaging 25.8 minutes. That year Harris scored 313 points and averaged 10.4 points per game, the third highest total on the team after two seniors. She had 42 assists, 45 free throws, and 76 rebounds.

kg_veteran
02-08-2007, 03:06 PM
It's one thing to require government not to discriminate against homosexuals; I think it's another thing to criticize players for not wanting to play with homosexual teammates. I don't think homosexuals have a right to be liked, any more than a heterosexual person does. They should be treated fairly (that is, not harassed or abused physically/mentally/psychologically), but it seems to me that much more is afoot here.

MavKikiNYC
02-08-2007, 03:21 PM
It's one thing to require government not to discriminate against homosexuals; I think it's another thing to criticize players for not wanting to play with homosexual teammates. I don't think homosexuals have a right to be liked, any more than a heterosexual person does. They should be treated fairly (that is, not harassed or abused physically/mentally/psychologically), but it seems to me that much more is afoot here.
Does that apply equally to professions outside professional sports? Should employess in other fields be able to express revulsion at having to work with homosexual co-workers?

Not related to basketball, but there's a fairly interesting case here in NYC getting some publicity about an attorney at one of NY's oldest, largest, and most prestigious law firms who was fired after filing a complaint about derisive and abusive comments made to him by his superiors about his close workling relationship with another associate. Both attorneys were high-performers in the firm with excellent performance reviews--one was gay, one was not.

The problems arose when senior partners took exception to what they imagined was going on between the two (even though there was no relationship), declared the imagined relationship "unnatural", and made it clear that they would not tolerate such a relationship between employees (though some of the partners themselves had had relationships with employees of the firm, whom they eventually married--we all know how that works).

Things took the usual trajectory--first the firm tried to marginalize the complainant; then they tried to manufacture a "management problem" to justify terminating him. Now there's a lawsuit.

In 2007, in one of the most (nominally) tolerant, progressive cities, sexual orientation remains an issue.

kg_veteran
02-08-2007, 03:40 PM
Does that apply equally to professions outside professional sports? Should employess in other fields be able to express revulsion at having to work with homosexual co-workers?

I guess that all depends, doesn't it? Are we talking about a co-worker, or a supervisor/employee relationship? Insofar as the law is concerned, anyway.

Not related to basketball, but there's a fairly interesting case here in NYC getting some publicity about an attorney at one of NY's oldest, largest, and most prestigious law firms who was fired after filing a complaint about derisive and abusive comments made to him by his superiors about his close workling relationship with another associate. Both attorneys were high-performers in the firm with excellent performance reviews--one was gay, one was not.

The problems arose when senior partners took exception to what they imagined was going on between the two (even though there was no relationship), declared the imagined relationship "unnatural", and made it clear that they would not tolerate such a relationship between employees (though some of the partners themselves had had relationships with employees of the firm, whom they eventually married--we all know how that works).

Things took the usual trajectory--first the firm tried to marginalize the complainant; then they tried to manufacture a "management problem" to justify terminating him. Now there's a lawsuit.

In 2007, in one of the most (nominally) tolerant, progressive cities, sexual orientation remains an issue.

And I'm sure that the heterosexual affairs (perceived or actual) didn't result in termination. Yeah, that sounds like a different thing altogether than whether teammates (co-workers) should be required to like the fact that they are working with a homosexual.

blahblehblah
02-08-2007, 03:52 PM
Yeah, that sounds like a different thing altogether than whether teammates (co-workers) should be required to like the fact that they are working with a homosexual.
I dont think anyone is advocating a rule or law which requires any teammates or co-workers to LIKE working with a homosexual anymore than anyone is advocating a rule or law which REQUIRES any person to LIKE working with a person of color or a women or an elderly person or a disabled person. The only thing as far as I can see is people advocating non discriminatory practices in the workplace and society in general, regardless of race, gender or sexuality. I dont know where you get the idea anyone is trying to force a law or rule requiring people to actually like/enjoy/look forward to working with someone of different sex/race or sexuality.

kg_veteran
02-08-2007, 04:48 PM
I dont think anyone is advocating a rule or law which requires any teammates or co-workers to LIKE working with a homosexual anymore than anyone is advocating a rule or law which REQUIRES any person to LIKE working with a person of color or a women or an elderly person or a disabled person. The only thing as far as I can see is people advocating non discriminatory practices in the workplace and society in general, regardless of race, gender or sexuality. I dont know where you get the idea anyone is trying to force a law or rule requiring people to actually like/enjoy/look forward to working with someone of different sex/race or sexuality.

Do you believe that the NBA, or NBA teams, have practices which discriminate against homosexual players?

rmacomic
02-08-2007, 04:56 PM
Do you believe that the NBA, or NBA teams, have practices which discriminate against homosexual players?
Only when they run the cunnilingus drill.;) :p

blahblehblah
02-08-2007, 05:15 PM
Do I personally believe so? In short, I dont know. I would probably guess that there are elements of discrimination, in terms of lack of understanding and uses of slurs and such which would constitute a discriminatory and hostile work environment. However I'm not aware of any overt practices the NBA has which discriminates against homosexuals or for that matter african americans or any other minorities, but I'm certain people like Ameichi giving their perspective and views on the matter helps sheds light on the matter.

Is it possible certain coaches or players treated Amaechi inappropriately due to his sexual orientation thereby creating a discriminatory work environment. Is it possible these instances or recollections are all false and that Amaechi's accounts are made up? Is it possible that the answer falls somewhere in between? The answer to all this is, I dont know, which leads to the point as MavKikiNYC eloquently pointed out, is that Amaechi's perspective offers a unique and insightful perspective on the matter of homosexuality in Mens professional sports.

kg_veteran
02-08-2007, 05:35 PM
Unique perspective? Yeah, I guess so. Newsworthy? I really don't think so.

dude1394
02-08-2007, 05:37 PM
Amaechi, born in Massachusetts

Well duh.. :)

FINtastic
02-11-2007, 03:14 AM
I just came up with a good Skip Shot for this -

I thought this was they N-B-A not the N-B-Gay.

Rock me.

chumdawg
02-11-2007, 03:38 AM
Cue the wild Norm laugh.

untitled
02-13-2007, 08:49 PM
Just read this article from ESPN Magazine which contains an excerpt of the book. I found some of it pretty interesting, including the parts about Jerry Sloan and his players' opinion of him. If what Amaechi says is true, Sloan sounds like a complete asshole.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?page=espnmag/amaechi

Nemesis
02-13-2007, 09:44 PM
I remember John Amaechi very well.

He loved to drive it hard to the hole where he sometimes would finish off with a smooth finger roll.

I'm sure his fans were quite surprised to see his cross-over.

haha..

The Crippler
02-14-2007, 11:33 PM
did y'all hear what Timmy Hardaway said today on Dan Lebatard's show? Man, even if you believe that crap, you're best served keeping it to yourself. Hardaway's always been an idiot though...

SaltwaterChaffy
02-14-2007, 11:40 PM
Hardaway is a moron. Good luck finding a job, buddy.

capitalcity
02-15-2007, 12:09 AM
Hardaway is a moron. Good luck finding a job, buddy.I think he already flamed out. Wasn't he part of the ESPN studio crew before ABC got the exclusive deal? Like 2003?

I just have this faint memory of him butchering the english language whilst staring at the wrong camera.

capitalcity
02-15-2007, 12:17 AM
wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ESPN_National_Basketball_Association_coverage)

...NBA Shootaround is ESPN's main studio program, airing before each NBA Friday telecast. Shootaround and other in-game studio programs originally consisted of Kevin Frazier and Tim Hardaway on Fridays with Stuart Scott replacing Frazier on Wednesdays. After horrible reviews for Hardaway, ESPN brought in Greg Anthony to replace him on Friday nights. Frazier and Anthony became ESPN's main studio team and worked most of the playoffs. For the 2003 Eastern Conference Finals, ESPN used ABC's halftime team of Mike Tirico and Sean Elliott for all the games...

The Crippler
02-15-2007, 12:34 AM
I wonder if Timmy Hardaway hates Rudy Gay also?

jthig32
02-15-2007, 12:39 PM
If anyone cares to read it, I think this is a fantastic article by Chris Broussard: (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2764353&name=broussard_chris)

dude1394
02-15-2007, 12:46 PM
If anyone cares to read it, I think this is a fantastic article by Chris Broussard: (http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=2764353&name=broussard_chris)

Bravo..and well said.