View Full Version : Rule has Cuban seeing red

kriD
02-12-2007, 11:47 AM
Rule has Cuban seeing red

Owner sees no reason for games to be stopped any time a player bleeds

10:12 PM CST on Sunday, February 11, 2007
By EDDIE SEFKO / The Dallas Morning News
esefko@dallasnews.com

PHILADELPHIA – From Mark Cuban's perspective, it's a bloody shame that the NBA still has remnants of an outdated, and possibly homophobic, rule on the books.

In the fallout from former NBA player John Amaechi announcing that he is gay, the Mavericks' owner may have a new mission to undertake. If players and the league are serious when they say a person's sexual orientation is no more important than the color of their eyes, then why is a piece of legislation from the Magic Johnson HIV announcement in 1991 still a major part of the league, Cuban asked Sunday.

It's time, he believes, to rescind the infection-control rule that stops games whenever a player is bleeding.

"There was still a lot of ignorance in the NBA at that point," Cuban said. "Can you imagine if they had infection control in the NFL? There's no infection control in the NFL, and they're bleeding all over each other like stuffed pigs. And there's guys who have come out and said they were gay bleeding all over each other and nobody got sick.

"I'll defer to the chancellor of David Stern University for his ruling. But is there a medical reason anymore for infection control to stop the game and clean up the jersey or tape it over? If it's really not homophobic, don't we have to get rid of it?"

Cuban admitted his new project is based on his observations, not any scientific data.

"Look, if there's a medical reason for doing what we do, fine," he said. "Keep on doing it. But my anecdotal exploration of the issue says, from the outside, if it's not an issue in football or hockey, I have a hard time seeing it be an issue in basketball."

Ancient history: Jerry Stackhouse still gets a lot of attention when he comes to Philadelphia. He was the No. 3 overall pick by the Sixers in the 1995 draft. At one point, he was featured in an advertisement wearing a hard hat when the team's new arena was being built to replace the Spectrum.

It was supposed to be Stack's House.

"I actually believed that back then," he said. "Then we had 35 players that season. And none of them were in the league two years after that year. I was young and didn't know any better. I thought we were supposed to win, but now I know that formula doesn't work now and didn't work then."

Too many young players changing from year to year remains a recipe for disappointment.

Stackhouse also said he thought it would never work with him and Allen Iverson, who arrived in 1996, being coached by Larry Brown. Moreso than his relationship with Iverson, Stackhouse believes Brown wasn't the right coach for him in his younger days.

"Our personality wasn't meant to click," he said. "At that particular time, I wasn't ready to be screamed at constantly."

Briefly: When you are having the season Austin Croshere is having, you take your highlights where you can get them. The backup forward made all four of his free throws Sunday night. That makes him 19 of 19 for the season. ... Mavs coach Avery Johnson had nothing but praise for Sixers coach Mo Cheeks, whose team was down by 30 in the third quarter but cut it to eight in the fourth. "A lot of teams would have quit in our league, and it would have went from 30 to 40," Johnson said. "But [Cheeks] kept working his guys. I must have stopped working our guys, because they stormed back." ... By shooting 52 percent against the Sixers, the Mavs improved to 12-0 when making at least half their shots.

kriD
02-12-2007, 11:49 AM
MAVERICKS PLAYBOOK

Cuban says gay player would be wealthy hero

By DWAIN PRICE
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

PHILADELPHIA - Mark Cuban sees a wealthy future for the first NBA player who comes out while he's still playing and admits he's gay. He even believes that player will become a role model.

"From a marketing perspective, if you're a player who happens to be gay and you want to be incredibly rich, then you should come out, because it would be the best thing that ever happened to you from a marketing and an endorsement perspective," the Mavericks' owner said. "You would be an absolute hero to more Americans than you can ever possibly be as an athlete, and that'll put money in your pocket.

"On the flip side, if you're the idiot who condemns somebody because they're gay, then you're going to be ostracized, you're going to be picketed and you're going to ruin whatever marketing endorsements you have."

Former NBA player John Amaechi created a national stir last week when he said that he's gay. Although Cuban acknowledged it won't be easy for someone playing in the NBA to come out, the owner believes it could lead to change.

"When you do something that the whole world thinks is difficult and you stand up and just be who you are and take on that difficulty factor, you're an American hero no matter what," Cuban said. "That's what the American spirit's all about, going against the grain and standing up for who you are, even if it's not a popular position."

Cuban invoked the name of Jackie Robinson, who broke major league baseball's color barrier, when discussing the possibility of an active player coming out.

"It's got to be somebody who's strong-willed," Cuban said. "He'll put up with some grief. But at the same time, I don't want to compare him to Jackie Robinson, but it's the analogy in a lot of ways. He becomes a role model."

No big deal?

Ever since former Lakers guard Magic Johnson announced he was HIV-positive in 1991, the NBA has employed an infectious control rule in which play is stopped whenever a player is bleeding or has blood on his jersey.

Mark Cuban said the rule has no place in the game.

"If there's no infectious control in the NFL or the NHL, where they're bleeding all over each other like stuck pigs, why is there anything like that in the NBA?" Cuban asked. "I think the fans would think it was cool if there was a little bit of blood on [a player's] jersey and he's playing."

Chuck appreciation

Small statues of former 76ers great Charles Barkley were given to the first 5,000 fans at Sunday's game.

SPOTLIGHT: JERRY STACKHOUSE'S OLD HOUSE

Before the Philadelphia 76ers opened their current arena in 1996, one of the commercials that ran on local TV featured Jerry Stackhouse wearing a hard hat with the caption: Stack's House.

Stackhouse was the third overall pick by the Sixers in the 1995 draft and played with them until they traded him to Detroit on Dec. 18, 1997. Before the trade, he thought the Sixers were going to build the franchise around him.

"I was foolish enough to think that it was for real, but when you play with 35 players that year..." Stackhouse said. "I was young and didn't know any better and thought we were supposed to win.

"But from being in this league [12 years], I know that formula that we were at at that point doesn't work now, and it didn't work then."

Stackhouse played his rookie season for the Sixers in the Spectrum. Then he played for a little over a year in the new facility -- now known as the Wachovia Center -- as Allen Iverson's teammate.

"It was kind of a blip on the radar for me," Stackhouse said of his brief Sixers career. "Obviously, it's a great memory.

"Being it's the team that drafted you, you never forget things like that. It's still a place where I have to buy quite a few tickets."

Dirkadirkastan
02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
Everyone has AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
Everyone has AIDS!

And so this is the end of our story
And everyone is dead from AIDS
It took from me my best friend
My only true pal
My only bright star (he died of AIDS)

Well I'm gonna march on Washington
Lead the fight and charge the brigades
There's a hero inside of all of us
I'll make them see everyone has AIDS

My father (AIDS!)
My sister (AIDS!)
My uncle and my cousin and her best friend (AIDS AIDS AIDS!)
The gays and the straights
And the white and the spades

Everyone has AIDS!
My grandma and my dog 'ol blue (AIDS AIDS AIDS)
The pope has got it and so do you (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
C'mon everybody we got quilting to do (AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS)
We gotta break down these baricades, everyone has
AIDS AIDS AIDS
AIDS AIDS
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS
AIDS AIDS AIDS
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS
AIDS
AIDS!!!!

Underdog
02-12-2007, 05:03 PM
Everyone has AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS!
AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS AIDS!
Everyone has AIDS!

I have to spread reputation around before I can give you more (rep, not aids...)

nashtymavsfan13
02-12-2007, 09:42 PM
Cuban should just stay out of this, it's not worth making a big deal out of. He's done a good job of keeping his mouth shut this year, no need to blow it now.

dirno2000
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
Maybe he's right, maybe he's not but this is kind of a strange cause to take on. It's not like there are multiple stop downs per game and it's affecting the flow. It's really not hurting anything.

dude1394
02-12-2007, 10:01 PM
I cannot understand what the heck cuban is even commenting on this about. It would seem to me that the reason that the NFL does NOT stop play is because they couldn't or the game would be stopped every play. When every doctor, dentist, paramedic uses gloves, why in the hell wouldn't the nba keep blood from getting all over everything.

I like cubes but this may be the stupidest thing I've ever heard someone gripe about.

WurzburgBorn
02-13-2007, 10:25 AM
Cuban probably didn't even make a big deal about this, How could he? It's hardly an issue. How does this rule hurt anyone?
Cuban just loves to talk. And especially to criticize the league. And hell, why not? I'd try to be a thorn in Stern's side too if I was in a position to be.