PDA

View Full Version : Biggest blunders by a sports franchise Front Office...

Big Shot Rob
02-12-2007, 12:33 PM
1. Spurs Front Office skipping its chance to draft Josh Howard

(maybe eclipsed only by a team's passing on Michael Jordan)

Any others come to mind?

I was also thinking of Minnesota's decision to unload a boatload of draft picks to Dallas Cowboys in exchange for Hershel Walker.

As you might imagine--while watching the Spurs take a nosedive, my mind has been on ways that a franchise decision-maker screws up royally...:mad: :eek:

jthig32
02-12-2007, 12:34 PM
Way too many draft mistakes to mention. They happen all the time.

Heck, the Bucks drafting Dirk and trading him for Traylor? Historically bad.

The list is endless.

WurzburgBorn
02-12-2007, 12:52 PM
In the Josh Howard draft, the Pistons selected Darko when they could have had Carmelo or Bosh.
The Mavs picked Sam Perkins over Michael Jordan if I recall.
Yeah. Lots of mistakes.

mcsluggo
02-12-2007, 12:53 PM
jeez man, could you PLEASE dump the knee-pads. Youve been on the site long enough that you can drop the constant fawning and stroking of the mavs-fans nuts.

Josh Howard was taken LAST PICK in the first round. Letting him slip does not reach ANY lists of "Biggest blunders by a sports franchise Front Office... ". He was quite the steal for the Mavs, a great pickup.... but similar to taking Bowie over Jordan?

c'mon now, step away from the crackpipe, stand up and say "I AM a spurs fan" and resist the urge to continue to felate any mavs-fan that happens to wander by just so you'll be liked on this board.

Here, I'll give you an example:
I AM a kings fan. And even though the Kings now suck donkey anus, I am STILL a kings fan. I'll avoid trolling around and rubbing salt in the wounds of the poor pathetic fans of the first-place Mavs, in the spirit of not trolling, but otherwise... suck it.

to answer the original question (even though I now realize it wasn't REALLY a question, just a rhetorical way to allow you to slip back down onto your hands and knees...):

Golden State hiring Gary St Jean to be manager... and then KEEPING him for 5 or 6 years: THAT is a true world class blunder.

Joey
02-12-2007, 12:58 PM
Mavs picking Detlif Shrempf (spelling?) over Karl Malone...

Joey
02-12-2007, 12:59 PM
jeez man, could you PLEASE dump the knee-pads. Youve been on the site long enough that you can drop the constant fawning and stroking of the mavs-fans nuts.

Josh Howard was taken LAST PICK in the first round. Letting him slip does not reach ANY lists of "Biggest blunders by a sports franchise Front Office... ". He was quite the steal for the Mavs, a great pickup.... but similar to taking Bowie over Jordan?

c'mon now, step away from the crackpipe, stand up and say "I AM a spurs fan" and resist the urge to continue to felate any mavs-fan that happens to wander by just so you'll be liked on this board.

Here, I'll give you an example:
I AM a kings fan. And even though the Kings now suck donkey anus, I am STILL a kings fan. I'll avoid trolling around and rubbing salt in the wounds of the poor pathetic fans of the first-place Mavs, in the spirit of not trolling, but otherwise... suck it.

to answer the original question (even though I now realize it wasn't REALLY a question, just a rhetorical way to allow you to slip back down onto your hands and knees...):

Golden State hiring Gary St Jean to be manager... and then KEEPING him for 5 or 6 years: THAT is a true world class blunder.

While I appriciate the idea behind this post, that was way uncalled for.

Usually Lurkin
02-12-2007, 01:04 PM
screw you Kings fan. Take your troll-bait back to your left coast bulliten board, you hoser. We don't need you here flaming the fans of Texas teams. Your team sucks, so you suck to! you're on my ignore list, now, you bell lovin' cow!

Usually Lurkin
02-12-2007, 01:13 PM
oh, and to the subject of the original post, this might be better in the "other sports" section.

I'd list:
anything having to do with Isaiah Thomas.
trading Babe Ruth.
Minnesota's under the table deal with Smith that ended up crippling the team for years.

alexamenos
02-12-2007, 01:21 PM
Dallas Mavericks' Front Office, 1987-1997..........a solid decade of sustained blunderdom.

Stranger
02-12-2007, 01:23 PM
The Mavs picked Sam Perkins over Michael Jordan if I recall.

Thankfully that one's not on us: it was the Trailblazers who picked Sam Bowie over MJ. The funniest thing is the comments of the Chicago GM (Rod Thorne, I think) after the draft. He practically apologized to the fans for not being able to get a big man, saying Jordan was the best they could do since the top centers had already been taken.

mcsluggo
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
While I appriciate the idea behind this post, that was way uncalled for.

no, it was entirely called for....

but there probably should've been a few more :)s and ;)s to make it seem less A-hole-ish

Dirkadirkastan
02-12-2007, 01:31 PM
I wouldn't worry about it too much, mcsluggo. BSR is a nice guy so he simply cannot be the troll you describe, but he's also a Spurs fan, which means he is suicidal. These kinds of threads are exactly what you would expect from that combination.

mkat
02-12-2007, 01:36 PM

hindsight is 20/20...same with jordan.

Flacolaco
02-12-2007, 01:45 PM
The banning of drbio is one of the biggest blunders in the history of dm.com's front office

;)

Thespiralgoeson
02-12-2007, 04:10 PM
In the Josh Howard draft, the Pistons selected Darko when they could have had Carmelo or Bosh.

I still don't buy this bullshit. Darko is only 21, and an athletic freak. For all we know, he may end up being better than both of them. Now it's common sense that Carmelo and Bosh would've been smarter choices in hindsight, because they were NBA ready. Darko OTOH had just turned 18 and had very little playing experience. A mistake? Probably, but in no way shape or form was this some kind of historic blunder. If you can even remember the summer of 03, just about every scout and GM, and pretty much everyone in the basketball world was sure he was going to be a star. In fact, the general consensus was that he would've been picked first overall in just about any draft that didn't include LeBron.

Besides, for all intents and purposes, this is rookie season. The first 2 1/2 years in Detroit hardly count. Darko had the bad luck of being drafted by a championship contending team that couldn't afford to let him play and learn, and had Larry rookie-hating-asshole Brown as his coach. The whole experience in Detroit not only wasted his first two years, but also decimated his self-esteem. I think he's only now starting to recover. And again, he's friggin 21!

Darko would have been MUCH better served had he been drafted by a bad team that planned to build around him, as LeBron, Carmelo, and Bosh were.

WurzburgBorn
02-12-2007, 04:55 PM
What would have served Darko best is not relevant to the fact that it was a mistake for Detroit to draft him instead of Bosh or Melo, whom I think we can NOW be very close to certain will never be better than Carmelo or Bosh. Yes, of course this is hindsight! I live in 2007, not 2004. I didn't realize we were restricting this to talking about front office blunders that everyone knew were mistakes at the time. Of course nobody could be certain at the time Darko was drafted that Bosh ande Melo were better picks.

It's obviously more difficult to find moves that were clear mistakes at the time. Atlanta passing on Paul definitely comes to mind as a recent example.

mavsman
02-12-2007, 08:34 PM

No way is that a big blunder. Det was no Malone, but he finished a respectable 16-year long NBA-career as a 3-time all-star. Joe Kleine and John Koncak were drafted ahead of him. Think Olowakandi, Jonathan Bender or even Kerry Kittles being drafted before Kobe and Nash.

Big Shot Rob
02-12-2007, 09:14 PM
Josh Howard is a real jewel. He will be an essential component of the Mav's quest for a championship.

BTW--I don't need lectures from King's fans.

I have always stated that the Spurs are my hometown team--the team that I love--but that if and when they are eliminated from contention, I am pulling for Avery Johnson and the Mavs for many reasons. First--AJ is a spiritual man born into abject poverty who along with his best friend for many years, David Robinson, would minister to anyone about the need to have faith, to be men of God, and to be an example to others.

Second--I am a Texan. When all is said and done, I am proud that all three Texas teams are great teams and that people hate coming to Texas, where they have to face the Mavs, the Rockets and the Spurs. As much as we are rivals, I personally know tons of San Antonio Spurs fans who pulled for the Mavs in the finals last year. I also know many Mavs fans who pulled for the Spurs when we were in the finals as well.

I could be ugly and post with equally distasteful remarks that you posted to me. I decline the opportunity.

Dtownsfinest
02-12-2007, 11:14 PM
Didn't the Spurs draft Tony Parker and Manu Ginobilli late in the first round? Different years of course but I mean you can't have all of the steals in the draft. Not to mention Manu and Tony Parker are decent players to say the least lol.

Big Shot Rob
02-12-2007, 11:26 PM
I agree--the Spurs Front Office was magnificent with its drafting of Parker and Manu.

I admit that I am perhaps a little more sensitive to this thing about Josh Howard. Prior to the draft, Tim Duncan urged the FO to draft Josh if he was still available.

The coach at Wake Forest--who coached both Duncan and Howard--stated that Josh and Tim were the two best people he's ever coached--both very adaptable, intelligent, and both took a coach's words to heart as they developed their skills.

Spurs fans like me watch as their beloved team gets older by the second and lament opportunities we had to get Howard. When the Spurs refused and instead did something pretty weird (forgot exactly--drafted Barbosa to go to Phoenix, I think), Duncan was pissed like you would not believe.

But it is true--every FO has both pluses and minuses. If the Spurs were not deteriorating this year so quickly, the fact we passed up on Howard to maximize cap space to make an attempt to get Jason Kidd would not be discussed so much.

Amir
02-13-2007, 06:20 AM
There are many blunders, but the most recent one is without any dount Detroit picking up Milicic when they could have got Carmelo or Chris Bosh.

Usually Lurkin
02-13-2007, 06:57 AM
The spurs passing on Howard is more obviously a mistake than many late round surprises because it's fairly easy to imagine that with him (even as a role playing starter) they'd have another championship, and would still be ahead of the Mavs, their biggest rival. Instead, they were beat out of the playoffs by their rival, and are old, and are on the decline, and have no hope left. A true reversal of fortune.

StackAttack
02-13-2007, 07:15 AM
We picked Samaki over Kobe.

Usually Lurkin
02-13-2007, 07:26 AM
ouch.

weren't there stories that Kobe wasn't going to play for anyone but the Lakers - that he'd withdraw if anyone else drafted him? (or did I make that up?)

digit
02-13-2007, 07:31 AM

uhh, that hurts...Samaki Walker on draft night: "The sky is the limit for Samaki Walker..." okayyyyy

mcsluggo
02-13-2007, 08:18 AM
The Kobe (non)-pick by a bunch of teams also has to come with a big asterisk. Kobe's agent made the credible threat that he was going to go play in italy (where he spent a healthy chunk of his childhood) if he wasn't selected, or traded to one of his a-list teams. This was before drafting teen-age phenoms was the norm. To take an attitude spewing 18 year-old who ASSURED you that he didn't want to be there would have been playing russian roullette with bullets in 5 chambers for any GM not in Philly, NY Chi, or LA.

In retrospect, sure, he is Kobe... but today he'd probably be Kobe in one of the places he wanted to go in the first place, and if somebody else had drafted him, THAT team today would have an ex-GM and a handfull of draft pics from Chi/NY/LA/or/Philly.

Big Shot Rob
02-13-2007, 04:40 PM
That's one of the reasons why David Robinson is held in such high esteem in San Antonio.

When Robinson was drafted, he could not come immediately due to military commitments.

The Lakers made it known that since he would essentially be able to make a choice to go somewhere else because of the delay. I remember this is why then Mayor Henry Cisneros and a lot of other folks in San Antonio made a strong pitch to David when he came for one of his earliest visits.

The rest is history. David stayed true to the team which drafted him and put the city on the map/

Like I stated--this is only one of the multitude of reasons why David Robinson is so beloved in San Antonio (and, coincidentally, why Shaq is so detested to some of us--the way he went out of his way to belittle David Robinson.

MavsX
02-13-2007, 04:57 PM
My donkey of the year is the entire houston texans for passing up on reggie bush~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nemesis
02-13-2007, 05:01 PM
Dick Motta wrote the book that all these blunders will be in.

(see the mid-80's for reference of stupidity and fixations on 7 foot stiffs)

Tokey41
02-13-2007, 07:05 PM
Darko over Melo, Bosh, and Diane Wade. Darko's a decent player but not a franchise player like those guys.

But blunders in general and not just drafts... how about Denver handing out contracts as of late? Nene? Kmart!? A little too eager with the cash. Also anything Isiah Thomas touches.

scorched03
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
football: mario williams over vince and bush and leinart.
steve young from bucs trade, montana lasting til 3rd round, brady til 6th round. jerry rice a 3rd rounder, hershel trade

basketball? drafting 1 spot ahead of JOHN Stockton, terrance stansburry. trading jason kidd for a solid pro, but finley isnt a hall of famer. sam bowie over jordan (drexler/jordan combo would have rocked), elton brand for chandler, letting nash walk only to see 2 straight mvp's, arenas was a 2nd round pick.

baseball? trading babe ruth. ortiz leaving as a free agent, pedro martinez for scrubs. a scrub catcher for liriano, bonser, and johan santana. expos had tons of bad deals in the 80's and 90s like Randy Johnson.

the list is endless and all teams all sports have sucked and blundered away something before. especially when drafting, its common to jack up alot. its trading away studs for crap that gets a team in trouble and I have never seen the spurs do that, so I'm not sure where this criticism is coming from other than some fan hate on the spurs.

spurs got parker at end of a round (although arenas would have been better), ginobli was hidden for awhile as a 2nd round pick. not bad picking on their part.

mavs got lucky with josh.

alexamenos
02-14-2007, 09:38 AM

good one, and a blunder that could be recognized without the benefit of hindsight.

....i've often said that it's just as well that the Texans didn't get the number 1 pick this year since they'll pass on the best two players anyway.

nikeball
02-14-2007, 02:25 PM
steve young from bucs trade, montana lasting til 3rd round, brady til 6th round. jerry rice a 3rd rounder, hershel trade

As a huge Jerry Rice fan, i had to correct you in saying that he was a first rounder (16th pick)..49ers traded first two picks to NE for him..(also swapped 3rd round picks) .. the cowboys were actually going to take him as well...imagine that.

but the biggest blunders for YEARS AND YEARS by a sports franchise front office has had to be until recently the LOS ANGELES CLIPPERS. there should be no contest.

Big Shot Rob
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
That Mario Williams pick...wow--I forgot about that one.

Funny thing is that i most of these situations, there was not general sentiment at the time that the picks made were bad.

Except that Mario Williams pick. Imagine--you could have Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Reggie Bush...and you take Mario Williams?

And the rationale--because you already invested heavily in David Carr?

And the next year--Carr dumped?

Sheesh--

I don't feel so bad anymore. As much as the failure to pick Josh Howard really hurts--Houston Texan fans forever will kick themselves for not taking one of the big three--they should have taken Vince--wow--what an awful decision...

Big Shot Rob
02-14-2007, 03:31 PM
That Mario Williams pick...wow--I forgot about that one.

Funny thing is that i most of these situations, there was not general sentiment at the time that the picks made were bad.

Except that Mario Williams pick. Imagine--you could have Vince Young, Matt Leinart or Reggie Bush...and you take Mario Williams?

And the rationale--because you already invested heavily in David Carr?

And the next year--Carr dumped?

Sheesh--

I don't feel so bad anymore. As much as the failure to pick Josh Howard really hurts--Houston Texan fans forever will kick themselves for not taking one of the big three--they should have taken Vince--wow--what an awful decision...

mcsluggo
02-14-2007, 04:01 PM
That's one of the reasons why David Robinson is held in such high esteem in San Antonio.

When Robinson was drafted, he could not come immediately due to military commitments.

The Lakers made it known that since he would essentially be able to make a choice to go somewhere else because of the delay. I remember this is why then Mayor Henry Cisneros and a lot of other folks in San Antonio made a strong pitch to David when he came for one of his earliest visits.

The rest is history. David stayed true to the team which drafted him and put the city on the map/

Like I stated--this is only one of the multitude of reasons why David Robinson is so beloved in San Antonio (and, coincidentally, why Shaq is so detested to some of us--the way he went out of his way to belittle David Robinson.

David Robinson was one of my not_on_my_team favorites. Grant Hill is another (we just raise our athletes "nice" in Northern VA).

But is it true that he had a choice of where to go, since he didn't report immediately? Kobe threatened to go to Italy to force a TRADE if he was drafted somewhere he didn't want to go, not to use up the draft pick's tenor. (For instance, the Kings dropped a 2nd rounder on Dejan Bodiroga (speeling?), the Yugo phenom and held the rights to him for YEARS... he just never elected to come to the nba)