PDA

View Full Version : Melvin Ely to San Antonio

dirt_dobber
02-13-2007, 02:09 PM
The Charlotte Observer reports that the Bobcats are finalizing a deal that will send Melvin Ely to the San Antonio Spurs.

Ely requested a trade some time ago, so it looks like he's about to get his wish. Heading to a veteran team that isn't focused on developing its young players should provide a boost for Ely, but he's still a long shot to have any fantasy value in San Antonio. There's no indication on what Charlotte will receive in return, but Beno Udrih is reportedly on the market, and he would give the Bobcats another young player with upside.

Height: 6'10' Weight: 261 DOB: 5/2/1978 Age: 28

Source: Charlotte Observer

aexchange
02-13-2007, 02:14 PM
this is a nice deal for san antonio. they get a nice young athletic big. don't see a lot of downside to this. they still need an athletic swingman under 30.

dirt_dobber
02-13-2007, 02:17 PM
SA needs a lot of help, I would trade AJ2 for Udrih

alexamenos
02-13-2007, 02:28 PM
my first thought.....

....who the hell is Melvin Ely?

Nash13
02-13-2007, 03:05 PM
I've mostly been against the Spurs last few transactions, but this is a good one. I've watched a few bobcats games, Ely can score when he wants to. He's very active and agressive. Although i don't see how this helps them when they match up against Dallas.

EricaLubarsky
02-13-2007, 03:22 PM
If people were upset about DJ going down, then they should be upset about Ely going to the Spurs for so cheap. The guy is head and shoulders above DJ and may even be better than Diop

dirt_dobber
02-13-2007, 03:35 PM
That a lot of praise EL, I don't remember seeing him play
it will be interesting to see how this works out for the Spurts.

Will he be the new "Dirk stopper" for SA. (ha ha ..... as if)

Dirkenstien
02-13-2007, 04:00 PM
Solid roster move for San Antonio but I'm not sure how much this affects the Spurs most glaring weakness; that being their over-aged athleticless backcourt.

AxdemxO
02-13-2007, 04:30 PM
I though it was interesting, the guy is young and actually can play some basketball. It will be interesting to see what he does for them. The gave up William who i didn't even know was on their team..so I think they got a good deal even if it doesn't work.

DelNegro
02-13-2007, 05:06 PM
The Spurs get a guy who might help them in return for a guy who they knew wouldn't. Zero risk, a potentially decent reward.

kg_veteran
02-13-2007, 05:10 PM
If people were upset about DJ going down, then they should be upset about Ely going to the Spurs for so cheap. The guy is head and shoulders above DJ and may even be better than Diop

Last year, maybe.

I think this is a good move for San Antonio, because it is a zero risk move (as DelNegro pointed out). That said, there's a reason that Ely is playing 10 mpg in Charlotte this year. I'm not sure what it is, but Charlotte is 18-33. In the East.

I have my doubts about Ely's ability to help the Spurs.

DelNegro
02-13-2007, 05:14 PM
I have my doubts about Ely's ability to help the Spurs.

In terms of playoff matchups, against the Mavs or Suns he probably doesn't. Against the Jazz, Rockets or Lakers though he could be useful.

Nash13
02-13-2007, 10:39 PM
there's a reason that Ely is playing 10 mpg in Charlotte this year.

There's actually three reasons: Emakor Okafor, Sean May, Primos Brezec. And they put Wallace at the 4 sometimes, so it's a loggam up front, which is weird, bc they suck.

Dtownsfinest
02-14-2007, 12:43 AM
Not sure what to think. I mean from the outside looking in it looks like a good move. Even if it is just 6 fouls look who they gave up? Eric Williams. Hell has he even played this year for them? Ely does show signs of potential. It took Eric Dampeir a while to finally get it to click and at times i'm not even sure if it has really even clicked for him. But if i'm the Spurs I like going into the postseason with Ely, Oberto and Elson as my 5's. I still haven't understood why Elson and Oberto haven't shown more consistency especially playing alongside Duncan. That shoudl benefit Ely tremendously.