PDA

View Full Version : O'Neal Calls Nash's MVPs 'Tainted'

Thespiralgoeson
02-25-2007, 07:14 AM
O'Neal Calls Nash's MVPs 'Tainted'

24th February, 2007 - 5:43 am
Arizona Republic -
Shaquille O'Neal considers Steve Nash's MVP awards to be "tainted."

After Miami's loss in Dallas on Thursday, O'Neal was engaged in an MVP discussion as it related to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki. O'Neal questioned how the media picks MVPs and said the award has been "tainted" the past two seasons. O'Neal was the runner-up for Nash's first MVP in 2005.

O'Neal repeated "tainted" references to reporters.

"I don't know what to say," Nash said. "I'm sorry he feels that way."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44866/20070224/oneal_calls_nashs_mvps_tainted/

DevinHarriswillstart
02-25-2007, 08:06 AM
O'Neal Calls Nash's MVPs 'Tainted'

24th February, 2007 - 5:43 am
Arizona Republic -
Shaquille O'Neal considers Steve Nash's MVP awards to be "tainted."

After Miami's loss in Dallas on Thursday, O'Neal was engaged in an MVP discussion as it related to the Mavericks' Dirk Nowitzki. O'Neal questioned how the media picks MVPs and said the award has been "tainted" the past two seasons. O'Neal was the runner-up for Nash's first MVP in 2005.

O'Neal repeated "tainted" references to reporters.

"I don't know what to say," Nash said. "I'm sorry he feels that way."

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/44866/20070224/oneal_calls_nashs_mvps_tainted/

I know what to say Nash.....he's right.

Shaq doesn't have much room to talk about "tainted" though. If he thinks the MVP award is tained, then what the hell was that finals sherade?

vjz
02-25-2007, 10:41 AM
Wow, that was classless, Shaq.

spreedom
02-25-2007, 10:47 AM
Good thing it's a completely baseless claim with very little merit whatsoever.. if he feels so strongly that it was a "tainted" award, why not at least give a reason why?

Shaq just wants to stay in the headlines.. and he certainly isn't going to do it with his play alone. That's all this is about.

V2M
02-25-2007, 11:30 AM
Shaq doesn't have much room to talk about "tainted" though. If he thinks the MVP award is tained, then what the hell was that finals sherade?

Not to mention his all-star berth this year...

And1
02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Shaq never seems to learn to keep his mouth closed. Especially after last year's finals saying they would repeat:rolleyes:

Thespiralgoeson
02-25-2007, 05:28 PM
Can't say I don't agree with him though. I took Nash's first MVP with a grain of salt, but last year's vote was absolutely ridiculous.

Thespiralgoeson
02-25-2007, 05:28 PM
*mods please delete

dirno2000
02-25-2007, 05:45 PM
While I agree that the Nash selection last year was ridiculous, I find it odd that there's no direct quote in the story. I'd like to read his statment in context.

Thespiralgoeson
02-25-2007, 05:51 PM
While I agree that the Nash selection last year was ridiculous, I find it odd that there's no direct quote in the story. I'd like to read his statment in context.

Yeah, I feel the same way. Unfortunately, that article is the only piece I can find on the comment. If I find a direct quote, I'll be sure and post it.

Stranger
02-25-2007, 06:12 PM
Shaq's got more reason to complain than most, as he's got only one MVP award to show for probably the best NBA career since Jordan.

Stranger
02-25-2007, 06:21 PM
Yeah, I feel the same way. Unfortunately, that article is the only piece I can find on the comment. If I find a direct quote, I'll be sure and post it.

I got this from a thread in the Mavs section. It seems to suggest that Shaq was implying that a Dirk MVP would be similarly "tainted." I didn't necessarily get that from the comments myself.

"Shaq shoots, misses on MVP

By Jennifer Floyd Engel
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

DALLAS -- Do not expect Shaq to sport his "Dirk for MVP" T-shirt anytime soon.

He seemed rather ambivalent about the campaign Thursday.

"I don't know," he deadpanned when asked if Dirk Nowitzki was a legit MVP contender. "I don't know how y'all give the award. That award has been tainted the last couple of years."

There was a mild attempt on my part to prod Shaq to define tainted. It failed. The interview traveled down typical, humorous paths, as usually happens with Shaq, until he stood to leave, looked back at me and started again with the tainted talk.

"Tainted. You know what I mean by tainted, you are a smart young lady," Shaq said."

mary
02-25-2007, 06:27 PM

This is just from someone's blog, so take it for what it's worth.

Defending Shaq, guessing on Wade

I know Shaquille O'Neal is never afraid to say something controversial, but this time his words were somewhat misunderstood.
The other night -- after a frustrating loss, mind you -- Shaq was asked about Dirk Nowitzki and his MVP worthiness. He said, "I don’t know. I don’t know how y’all get that award. That award’s been kinda tainted the last four or five years, so I don’t know what y'all vote for."
Now, Shaq has been saying that for a long time, not just the last couple of years. Also, he said the last "four or five years." Yet, in Phoenix, Steve Nash was told that Shaq said the award was tainted the last two years, which would have implied that Nash doesn't deserve it. Nash replied "I'm sorry he feels that way." But Shaq was hardly singling out Nash.
So there.

If that's correct, it looks like he was misquoted.

http://blogs.herald.com/miami_heat/2007/02/defending_shaq_.html

DarenG
02-25-2007, 07:56 PM
You mean SHAQ is making a stupid comment about losing out on the MVP 2 years ago and his own teammate losing out to Nash last year? Wow big surprise. There is no bias in his comments at all.

:rolleyes: