PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Livingston's Severe Knee Injury, out 8-12 months

nashtymavsfan13
02-27-2007, 11:12 PM
No thread on this yet? This is huge for the former #4 pick. He is out for the rest of the season and could be out all of next season as well.

Livingston out for season with major knee injury

By BETH HARRIS, AP Sports Writer
February 27, 2007

LOS ANGELES (AP) -- Clippers point guard Shaun Livingston will be out 8-to-12 months after tearing three of the four ligaments in his left knee while driving to the basket against Charlotte.

"It's probably the most serious injury you can have to the knee," Clippers physician Dr. Tony Daly said Tuesday. "He might miss all of next year."

Livingston had an MRI exam Tuesday which revealed tears in the anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament and lateral meniscus.

He also dislocated his patella, besides the previously diagnosed dislocation of his tibia-femoral. As a rookie in 2004, he dislocated his right knee.

Livingston was driving to the basket on a fast break Monday night, went up for a layup, and his left knee contorted as he collapsed in pain. A team doctor had to pop his knee back into place to alleviate the pain.

"He came down on the leg without any contact with anybody. It's a freak accident, that's for sure," said Daly, who has rarely seen anything similar in 24 years of practice.

He said the injury is more commonly associated with contact sports such as football and rugby.

Daly will solicit various medical opinions over the next two weeks, after which Livingston will have arthroscopic surgery, the doctor said. It wasn't yet decided if all three ligaments would be repaired at once.

Daly said Livingston did not tear an artery or damage any of the nerves in his knee, which can be serious complications.

"If everything goes well, he could be back playing as soon as eight months," Daly said. "My nature is to be conservative. I've seen people who've had this done by other people and it hasn't worked out."

Livingston, a three-year veteran who was drafted by the Clippers out of high school, has been hampered by injuries and has yet to play a full season in the NBA.

He sat out two games in January with a sprained right ankle. He missed 39 games during his rookie season because of a dislocated right knee, and another 12 that season because of torn cartilage in his right shoulder. Last season he sat out the first 21 games with a stress reaction in his lower back.

Livingston, who has been sharing point guard duties with Sam Cassell, was averaging 9.5 points and 5.2 assists.

untitled
02-27-2007, 11:40 PM
Did anyone see the video? Holy crap! That hurt me just watching it!

Here's the link: (WARNING: NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrA0bWPlhU

MFFL
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
And yet he never cried. He cursed REALLY loudly but never cried. Kinda makes Wade look like a wimp.

untitled
02-27-2007, 11:55 PM
A pic with a good view of the damage:

http://www.latimes.com/media/photo/2007-02/28129964.jpg

OUCH.

rmacomic
02-28-2007, 12:05 AM
OMG!!! This guy is a real man for taking this without a tear. Dwade I'm looking at you, bitch!!!!

Edit: !!!!

nashtymavsfan13
02-28-2007, 12:21 AM
No tears, and no wheelchair. He did need a stretcher, but who wouldn't? He sat up the whole time, no tears, just some screams when it first happened. DWheelchair is a wuss.

chumdawg
02-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Please. They don't bring wheelchairs for guys like Shaun Livingston.

Sorry, Shaun, but it's true.

Thespiralgoeson
02-28-2007, 02:58 AM
Damn this really, really sucks. Not a fan of his or anything, but I never want to see someone suffer such a severe injury. I hope he can come back 100% someday, but with knee injuries, especially bad ones, you just never know. He may never be the same player again.

seelenjaeger
02-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Carreer ending injury. He΄ll never come back, and has to be happy to walk relatively painfree for the rest of his life.

Dirkenstien
02-28-2007, 09:14 AM
This is proof that Diva Wade is a huge WIMP. The commercial imaging is over. If Livingston can take a hit like that and not shed a tear then there is absolutely no reason Diva has to cry and be carried away on a wheel chair for a dislocated shoulder.

My sympathies to Livingston and the Clippers organization...hopefully he'll be able to come back and play.

mary
02-28-2007, 10:16 AM
Did anyone see the video? Holy crap! That hurt me just watching it!

Here's the link: (WARNING: NOT FOR THE SQUEAMISH)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDrA0bWPlhU

Wow, that is VERY painful to watch.

Windmill360
02-28-2007, 11:06 AM
Man... this guy is so injury prone it's not even funny.

Murphy3
02-28-2007, 07:45 PM
My roommate in college had virtually the same injury... no long term pain for him. He was able to return to football in 7-8 months.

nashtymavsfan13
03-01-2007, 01:47 AM
Age defiance

By Dan Wetzel, Yahoo! Sports
February 28, 2007

It was gruesome and grotesque and almost impossible to forget – Shaun Livingston, his left knee virtually torn in half, crumpled and writhing in pain Tuesday.

There is virtually nothing positive that can come from a potential career-ending injury to the likable, determined Los Angeles Clippers point guard.

Yet perhaps Livingston can serve as a reminder to the supposedly sound, wise voices who always are telling these young athletes about the benefits of staying one more year in college, the ones defending the NBA's ridiculous age limit, the ones more concerned about their own entertainment or profit than the fact that even the brightest of basketball futures rides on a single, skinny ligament.

Because while the NBA's window of opportunity closes, colleges never do. Because while you might get just one shot at draft day millions, an education is there forever.

If the TV announcers and establishment defenders, when imploring the stay in school mantra, always are going to bring up some bust from past – are we still talking about Korleone Young? – then let Livingston serve as the unfortunate (yet fortunate) poster child for the other side, the take the money and run route.

He turned down a scholarship to Duke in 2004, choosing at age 18 to jump to the NBA where his fabulous yet fragile body was drafted fourth by the Clippers. He had a contract that guaranteed him more than $10 million in salary even before Reebok signed him to an endorsement deal worth millions more. The kid from Peoria, Ill., instantaneously was set for life.

Yet there still were those who cried he should have gone to college. And if he had they'd have begged him to stay and play the same way they do right now with Kevin Durant and Greg Oden.

But it seems Livingston never was meant to last. The body that allowed him that insane crossover at 6-foot-7 always was cursed. In three seasons in the NBA he's been a hobbled medical mess – dislocated right knee, sprained right ankle, torn cartilage in his right shoulder, a stress reaction in his lower back.

Then came Tuesday, when the knee just ripped apart while he went for a simple layup. He tore his anterior cruciate ligament, posterior cruciate ligament, medial collateral ligament and lateral meniscus. It is a wonder the thing stayed on.

“It's probably the most serious injury you can have to the knee," Clippers physician Tony Daly told reporters. "He might miss all of next year. It's a freak accident, that's for sure.”

The freak part was there was no contact to set off the injury. There was no awkward cut on the floor. There was so reason for it to happen. This, essentially, was what the 21-year-old's knee was destined to do. This is what his body was about.

And so all Livingston can do is rehab, pray and rest assured that he not only made the wisest choice of his life when he jumped to the league but also that David Stern hadn't decided that his marketing plans were more important than Livingston's individual rights.

Had Livingston gone to college, he never would have gotten out, each injury serving as a red flag to the NBA that would have kept him from being drafted. And eventually Livingston's knee was destined to fail him. It just would have been in Cameron Indoor rather than the Staples Center.

Instead he got when the getting was possible, and smart, savvy and mature, he then protected his money. One of his business advisors said Wednesday that Livingston has perhaps $6 million in bank. He is set to earn additional NBA and shoe company millions while he rehabs over at least the next eight to 12 months.

He probably will play again. But even if he doesn't, even this is a worst-case scenario and he never sees another minute in the NBA, he forever has changed the economic realities of his family.

And, of course, that worst case would include the chance to do what so many think is the best case to begin with – go to college. Livingston still can get all the education the world can offer because the SAT doesn't care much about lateral quickness.

So maybe you should hear about Shaun Livingston when the college announcers are barking their self-serving slop about how the NBA's age minimum is such a great thing for these young stars, for the game. Or how another year is always the good, safe option.

The age rule may be good for a lot of people, but college players aren't among them. Having institutions take the freedom of choice away from individuals never can be a positive.

Especially when the risks are so great, the money so grand and a college education always, eventually, a possibility.

bobatundi
03-02-2007, 11:33 AM
Since he went pro I've been waiting for a big injury to this guy--there's no way somebody that skinny can survive in the NBA. As skilled as he was, Livingston just didn't have any muscle. If I remember correctly, he was the only guy drafted who was unable to lift a single rep on the bench press at the pre-draft workouts.

Hope he's able to come back to the game some day. Apparently he's been hit by the curse of the Duke PG without having ever set foot on campus.

mqywaaah
03-02-2007, 08:36 PM
You know, when you think about it. Wade did look like a wimp.I mean, considering that Livingston's injury was more realisticaly painful compared to Diva's. Damn the gayness. I feel awful for Shaun. This is the worst case scenario for the NBA. Worst thing that could ever happen to anyone. I'd cry like hell if that was me.

bobatundi
03-02-2007, 08:42 PM
I'm going to disagree with "worst thing that could ever happen to anyone." I can think of many thousands of things that are worse. I'll just start with one--Death. Shaun Livingston is not dead. He's not even critically injured. Yes, he may never play ball again. He might walk with a limp. But he will recover, and he has more money in the bank already than most of us will make in our lifetimes. Let's keep some perspective here.

mqywaaah
03-02-2007, 10:15 PM
Ok I agree with your point. Let me rephrase what I said, One of the worst things that could happen to anyone. Sure Livingston has alot of cash, but I dont think he's thinking the same thing. He may able to walk again but there is the doubt that he may not play the same. That just flat out sucks if I was in his shoes. He does have the riches but what about achieving his goal? His dream and his passion of playing the sport that he loves the most. I just wish he turns out ok. Poor guy. What a waste of talent if ever it is a career-ending injury. And at such a young age too! It's a shame that these kind of things happen.

Big Boy Laroux
03-03-2007, 05:40 PM
i agree, that injury footage actually made me hurt... he tore everything there is to tear in a knee... probably the worst basketball injury i've ever seen, personally.

and not to derail the thread any further, but again, why did wade need a stretcher for a hurt shoulder? if your image is supposed to be "i'm so tough! i fall down and get up!", you better walk your ass off the court if your legs still work.

mary
03-03-2007, 06:18 PM
If anyone still wants to see the video, its been taken off of youtube (copyright), but it can still be viewed here (http://broadband.nba.com/cc/playa.php?content=video&url=http://boss.streamos.com/wmedia/nba/nbacom/news/livingston_injury_070226.asx)

JamesVE
03-03-2007, 07:38 PM
That video makes me cringe

I dislocated/broke/shattered my left elbow 5 years ago (falling for a pump fake and getting undercut), and I'm pretty sure I just about crapped myself. Remembering my pain, I cant imagine how painful that knee was. Definitely makes Wade look like a wuss .

I feel bad for Livingston. Even if it's repaired he probably wont be quite the same ever again. My elbow still gives me problems, and its not as crucial as a knee in basketball. Poor guy :(

Tokey41
03-03-2007, 08:46 PM
Stupid Wade... he got so much attention for his toughness at driving to the hoop but one physical hit and he crys, then you have this brutal injury and not one tear. You can't defend Wade's toughness, you know Shaun's hit hurt a hell of a lot more.