PDA

View Full Version : Is Matrix the MVP???

endrity
02-28-2007, 09:14 PM
The Suns are about to lose to the 76ers with Nash and STAT but without Matrix. So that makes him the MVP right? That's what we have been hearing from the media regarding Nash, so the logic should apply to everyone.

mary
02-28-2007, 09:18 PM
They'd probably be a lottery team without him.

dude1394
The Suns are about to lose to the 76ers with Nash and STAT but without Matrix. So that makes him the MVP right? That's what we have been hearing from the media regarding Nash, so the logic should apply to everyone.

Obviously...infallible logic. The sixers???

shaw-xx
Marion is MVP. ^_^

DirkGoesNuclear
02-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Only lost by 5. Quite unlucky. No biggie.

pickupyonuts
02-28-2007, 09:32 PM
haha. i knew this thread was coming when i saw that they were losing and marion wasn't playin. i only wish i got here first.

dude1394
02-28-2007, 09:35 PM
Only lost by 5. Quite unlucky. No biggie.

How many do you expect them to lose to philly by? Philly is 20-38 for gods sakes.

endrity
02-28-2007, 09:41 PM
Actually they played like shit. For Philly to hold them to 93 points, that's a lot. Sooner or later their lack of rotation is bound to catch up with them as it does every year. To be honest if D'Antoni was a better coach I think they would end up winning a championship one of these years. He has had one idea only, give the ball to Nash, and let's play our 5 best guys regardless of position. But as far as long term development of a team, in game adjustments the guy is awful. I remember last year, when Diop was effectively shuting down their lanes, he kept saying, well if we make shots we win.As if no other coach cant' say that, the problem is how do you put your team in a position to make shots.

Murphy3
02-28-2007, 09:44 PM
Actually they played like shit. For Philly to hold them to 93 points, that's a lot. Sooner or later their lack of rotation is bound to catch up with them as it does every year. To be honest if D'Antoni was a better coach I think they would end up winning a championship one of these years. He has had one idea only, give the ball to Nash, and let's play our 5 best guys regardless of position.
Well, just giving the ball to Nash isn't that bad of an idea. Remember Nellie's idea to just give the ball to Antoine Walker instead of Dirk and Nash? I do....

you
02-28-2007, 09:55 PM
Well, just giving the ball to Nash isn't that bad of an idea. Remember Nellie's idea to just give the ball to Antoine Walker instead of Dirk and Nash? I do....

That was an awful year.

endrity
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
^Yes, I agree. Man everytime I think of that year, I think how much time we lost, not only was one whole season gone, but the next one was focused on remaking Dirk the leader that he was in 03, and on redeveloping a chemistry..

left texas
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM

He has to be MVP, and Hollinger must have just put the Suns ahead of the Mavs because it was a close loss and they don't count because anyone could have lost that game!

LRB
02-28-2007, 10:05 PM
We'd kill the Suns in the playoffs if we could play the entire series back to back to back to back ...

Seriously, D'Antoni or as my wife calls him, Hitler, only played 7 players tonight and most of the regular starters were logging 40+ mintues on the 2nd night of a back to back. All those extra minutes are putting a lot more wear and tear on his guys over the course of a season than a team like the mavs or heck even SA manages their players minutes better. You'd think 2 all-stars should be plenty to put the 76ers away. Guess not.

BTW I wonder if Hollinger rates them higher losing to PHilly on the 2nd night of a back to back than Dallas opening a warehouse of whoop ass on Minny last night on the 2nd night of a back to back?

endrity
02-28-2007, 10:11 PM
Hollinger has never been a huge fan of the Suns actually, he has been one of the main opponents of Nash as MVP idea. He has said more then a few times that their stats are a little inflated because of the system they play in.

DarenG
02-28-2007, 11:44 PM
The Suns were without Diaw as well. So not having Marion and Diaw is huge for them. So the entire Marion MVP thing is stupid. Also, the system was built around Nash and for Nash so how can they be inflated? I wish people would stop baggin on him just because he doesn't play for us anymore.

At any rate, the Suns have not been a healthy team. Maybe their style is catching up to them? At any rate, I will take whatever games we can over them to secure the number 1 seed.

capitalcity
02-28-2007, 11:51 PM
Cash can suck it.

dude1394
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
I wish people would quit pretending that he's the greatest player in NBA history.

pickupyonuts
03-01-2007, 12:06 AM
The Suns were without Diaw as well. So not having Marion and Diaw is huge for them. So the entire Marion MVP thing is stupid. Also, the system was built around Nash and for Nash so how can they be inflated? I wish people would stop baggin on him just because he doesn't play for us anymore.

you do realize they don't really think marion should be mvp right? when ppl. used the excuse for nash being mvp cuz they were losing but at the time diaw and thomas. sooo i don't believe this is anything about nash.

Flacolaco
03-01-2007, 12:25 AM
As always, thanks for the laugh.

The title of this thread really made me night.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2007, 12:49 AM
I feel that Barbosa is Dallas's version of Harris. Sometimes Barbosa looks great but tonight 4-16? Ouch. You don't know what you will get out of this kid.

nashtymavsfan13
03-01-2007, 01:24 AM
This John Hollinger rankings stuff needs to stop, it's old news. Most writers think Dallas is the best team yet Dirk isn't the MVP, yet he's the opposite. He, like the rest of the writers will soon see the light.

nashtymavsfan13
03-01-2007, 01:29 AM
I feel that Barbosa is Dallas's version of Harris. Sometimes Barbosa looks great but tonight 4-16? Ouch. You don't know what you will get out of this kid.

That's always how I think of him as well, except he's further along in his progression and is a better shooter.

endrity
03-01-2007, 01:57 AM
you do realize they don't really think marion should be mvp right? when ppl. used the excuse for nash being mvp cuz they were losing but at the time diaw and thomas. sooo i don't believe this is anything about nash.

Thank you for remaking my point. I by the way think Nash is a great player, and think he deserved one MVP, 2005. I don't think he deserved it last year. It was given to him as an appology by the media for predicting the Suns would be lost without STAT. However Diaw and Thomas really stepped up, and Thomas sold his sould to the devil in their run during the playoffs. He was hitting 3s all over the floor.

chumdawg
03-01-2007, 02:37 AM
I know a few people who believe Marion is the MVP of that team. And for that matter, I believe he has a number of actual MVP votes to his credit. So the premise is not that far-fetched.

dirno2000
03-01-2007, 02:57 AM
I know a few people who believe Marion is the MVP of that team. And for that matter, I believe he has a number of actual MVP votes to his credit. So the premise is not that far-fetched.

I was one of them last year. I don't feel quite as strongly about it since Amare is back but I still contend that you can't play that style as effectively as they do without the 6'8 forward who can run like a guard, finish like a small forward and rebound like a center.

mavsfan1000
03-01-2007, 02:59 AM
That's always how I think of him as well, except he's further along in his progression and is a better shooter.
And Harris is clearly the better defender. They both are valuable to their team but Harris more in a defensive way.

EricaLubarsky
03-01-2007, 02:59 AM
how can a team have that many allstars and three people vying for "most valuable"?

why cant we just make awards for lenovo 1,2, 3, 4 and 5 man groups

1 man lenovo
1) S. Nash Suns
2) D. Nowitzki Mavericks
3) T. Duncan Spurs
4) S. Marion Suns
5) D. Harris Mavericks
6) J. Terry Mavericks
7) A. Stoudemire Suns
8) M. Ginobili Spurs
9) E. Dampier Mavericks
10) B. Bowen Spurs

2 man lenovo

1) S. Nash S. Marion Suns
2) S. Nash A. Stoudemire Suns
3) S. Marion A. Stoudemire Suns
4) B. Bowen T. Duncan Spurs
5) D. Nowitzki D. Harris Mavericks
6) D. Nowitzki J. Terry Mavericks
7) T. Duncan T. Parker Spurs
8) D. Nowitzki J. Howard Mavericks
9) S. Marion R. Bell Suns
10) S. Nash R. Bell Suns

dont mention that Dirk has a better efficiency rating, and a better +/-

mary
03-01-2007, 03:02 AM
Somebody over realgm.com (http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=585066&start=1128&sid=d2d83a8acfba47d6793cf3184d629988http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?t=585066&start=1128&sid=d2d83a8acfba47d6793cf3184d629988) had a great line.

this is why mvps should be won on the court, not off

DarenG
03-01-2007, 09:52 AM

Yes I did. What I meant was coming up with this thread as a sideways jab at Nash. The guy is a legit MVP candidate. The award is about being most valuable to your team not the best player in the league.

Thank you for remaking my point. I by the way think Nash is a great player, and think he deserved one MVP, 2005. I don't think he deserved it last year. It was given to him as an appology by the media for predicting the Suns would be lost without STAT. However Diaw and Thomas really stepped up, and Thomas sold his sould to the devil in their run during the playoffs. He was hitting 3s all over the floor.

Nash deserves the MVP any time he wins it. It was an apology? LMAO. That is the funnies thing I have ever heard. Diaw helped the low post for sure. However, Tim Thomas didn't join them until late and really didn't make an impact until the playoffs.

DevinHarriswillstart
03-01-2007, 10:33 AM
I was just about to post this. Marion for MVP!! Hahaha.....then Raja, and Amare and Barbosa...

The Suns for MVP!!!!!!!!!!!!!

alexamenos
03-01-2007, 11:04 AM

At any rate, the Suns have not been a healthy team. Maybe their style is catching up to them? At any rate, I will take whatever games we can over them to secure the number 1 seed.

what the heck is up with with Mssr. Diaw? he was finally good to go against indy, played 7 minutes, and now he's back in street clothes????

dirno2000
03-01-2007, 12:57 PM
what the heck is up with with Mssr. Diaw? he was finally good to go against indy, played 7 minutes, and now he's back in street clothes????

If I'm a Suns fans I'm terrified by the Diaw situation. Everybody thought they got a steal when he resigned for 4 years at $9MM per. Then he shows up and camp overweight and is useless for about the first month of the season. Eventually he's able to get in some semblance of shape but he's so deferential to Amare and Marion that he's a shadow of the player they thought they were signing. If that wasn't enough he now has a bad back.

DarenG
03-01-2007, 01:37 PM
If I'm a Suns fans I'm terrified by the Diaw situation. Everybody thought they got a steal when he resigned for 4 years at $9MM per. Then he shows up and camp overweight and is useless for about the first month of the season. Eventually he's able to get in some semblance of shape but he's so deferential to Amare and Marion that he's a shadow of the player they thought they were signing. If that wasn't enough he now has a bad back.

The Suns have big contracts in Diaw and Banks from the off season right? Don't know the numbers but hopefully it ties up cap space so they can't compete for free agents after the season is over. Something tells me the Mavs and Suns will be battling in the offseason for the same guys. :)

alexamenos
03-01-2007, 01:42 PM

yeah -- something ain't quite right.

endrity
03-01-2007, 02:52 PM
Well the problem with Diaw is that all the balls he used to catch last year came from pick and rolls mostly, and that is where Amare is used right now. Unfortunately for Diaw he is not a great enough shooter to just spot up. That is why i think in the playoffs the Suns might go 2005 style again with Marion at PF, and Raja and Barbosa alongside Nash.

EricaLubarsky
03-01-2007, 03:13 PM
http://www.basketball-zine.com/miyaji/archives/images/Diaw_2.jpg
Amare is stealing my jerb!

Xylus
03-01-2007, 06:32 PM
Suns fans definitely don't undervalue Marion--he's our speed/hustle guy, and when he's not on the court, the team always looks a gear slower.

And to be honest, I really, truly don't give a shit if Nash wins MVP this year. Personally (and I think many Suns fans feel this way), I'd rather he not win it, so people will finally stop talking about it. Give it to Dirk, who the fuck cares. It's a meaningless award that means squat in the postseason, other than the fact that teams will be gunning harder against you.

And the Diaw issue definitely pisses us Suns fans off. He played so well in the last year's postseason, especially against you guys in the WCF. Then this season starts and Diaw looks like he gained 20 pounds. He looks lazy, he looks like he lost some of that competitive edge he showed in the WCF... It can't be just because of Amare's return. I really think he just wasn't that motivated coming into the season, especially after scoring a pretty hefty paycheck.