PDA

View Full Version : March 1st-- COTY vote

EricaLubarsky
03-01-2007, 12:33 AM
vote for your COTY. Its like a vbookie but embarassment is on the line.

candidates
1) Sam Mitchell- on pace to win 45-48 games this season. Not COTY material unless you see that nearly the same team went 27-55 last year. From lottery to homecourt and the largest turnaround this year. (+18 wins on last years record and they are getting better and better. You may see a 50 win team this year out of them)

2) Avery Johnson-- no points for talent as he has plenty, and not the turnaround numbers of mitchell, but the guy is in record territory. The team is paced to win 69 or 70 games even after losing the first 4. (+9 on last years record although it might drop off as the first seed is secured and guys get rests)

3) Mike D'antoni-- 54 games last year, on pace for 63 games this year with the big arrogant back in the lineup. People like watching fast teams score 130 in regulation but they havent beaten a lot of good teams. (+9 from last year)

4) Jerry Sloan-- his past may be forgotten as he's on pace for 54 wins and his team isnt underachieving for once. (+13 wins from last year)

5) Flip Saunders-- This team isnt winning 64 games-- more like 54-58. Still a solid team that is getting much better. (-10 gmaes from last year)

Writeins
Phil Jackson-- his team is on pace for 46-47 wins and maybe a 5th spot in the playoffs. Still cant controll liars and bad attitude but they are getting production somehow. (+1 games from last year)

Gregg Popovic-- his name is always mentioned. Spurs will look tough and be tough, but are on pace to win 56. (-7 games on last year)

Don Nelson-- The guy's name means "turnaround" in German. What am I kidding he's a joke. His team is on pace to win 36 games this year-- two more than last year but still a lot of games out of the playoffs despite the talent and control over personnel

Flacolaco
03-01-2007, 12:47 AM
I hate to be a homer....

but when you watch Avery night after night on the tv yelling at his team bc of a bad defensive breakdown in the 3rd quarter when they're up 19, and then listening to all the guys in the post games talking about how none of this crap right now means anything, you can't help but vote for Avery.

He's a genius. He's motivating these guys, they know what they're working for.

And the best record in the league has got to count for something anyways.

nashtymavsfan13
03-01-2007, 12:50 AM
This is tough. I don't want ot be too biased and vote for Avery, but he is certainly VERY deserving. I think Sam Mitchell and Jerry Sloan are also very deserving, and if either of them won it they would deserve it. So, to not be too biased I think as of now I'd give it to Sloan, but if the Raptors finish strong Mitchell certainly has a case. If the Mavs win 70, Avery should win it.

Five-ofan
03-01-2007, 02:12 AM
write in, jeff van gundy.

Tokey41
03-01-2007, 03:33 AM
I know it's the East, but far too many people had written off the Raps before the season even began. As stated they have had the largest turnaround of any team in the league which is even more impressive when you consider all that went down for that team in the offseason and all the new pieces acquired (Parker, Garbajosa, Rasho, Ford, Bargnani... seriously these are all their key rotation players coming together in one season!) I think the reason for the fast chemistry has to some extent to attributed to the coach. I also read they had the best record in 2007 aside from Dallas and Phoenix... now if you ever thought you would mention Toronto with Dallas or Phoenix in the same breath this season you are lying.

That said if the Mavs do win 70 then Avery does deserve it, an over achieving West elite team is more impressive than an over achieving underdog team... I dunno if the Mavs can pull off 70 though, so my safe bet is Sam Mitchell.

mqywaaah
03-01-2007, 05:35 AM
Not to be a Homer but all signs point to AJ. Marvelous!!!

SladeRider
03-01-2007, 06:29 AM
I would put Jeff Van Gundy in that list at the current time but the Rockets are looking to tail off if their last two games are any indication to go off of.

But Avery will get my vote, after starting 0 - 4 and taking the team to a 48 - 5 record is unimaginable and Avery deserves alot of credit for this.

Of course I think it will come down to Avery, Van Gundy and Jerry Sloan when it comes to the voting for Coach of the Year.

left texas
03-01-2007, 08:28 AM
NBA a league pass has given a lot of exposure to the players of the NBA. It also gives us a change to watch the coaches. It amazes me to some of the decisions or non decisions the coaches make. Most coaches would be boasting after each impressive win and record settings nights the Mavs are having. All Avery does is break down each laspe or areas for improvement, you would think the team was 9-48, that is coaching.

DevinHarriswillstart
03-01-2007, 08:51 AM
Shoe in for both MVP and COTY if Mavs win 70....otherwise, I doubt they'll win either.

Xylus
03-01-2007, 06:37 PM
Not even I would vote for Mike D'Antoni. He's doing a terrible job of developing a bench and managing minutes.

I'd give it to Sloan or AJ, though probably Sloan because of seniority.

LRB
03-02-2007, 12:17 AM
D'Antoni doesn't even deserve to be in the conversation. Van Gundy should have his spot. My neighbor's dog could probably out coach D'Antoni.

So far no coach even comes close to the job that Avery has done so far. 49 and 5 over their last 54 games is absolutely unheard of. Keeping this team focused this long is one of the most superior jobs of coaching that I've ever witnessed. And Avery has his whole team drinking his Koolaid and sharing it up during every interview. Avery not only has his team on the same page, they're on the same sentence.

jthig32
03-02-2007, 09:19 AM
Ummm, how is Van Gundy not on this list? He's easily the COTY.

ilMavvento
03-02-2007, 10:38 AM
The reservation I have about Van Gundy is that his solution to the Yao/T-Mac injuries was basically to just play his vets like Howard, Battier, and Deke more. He now has the same problem as D'Antoni - his key role players are going to be worn out by playoff time and the rest of the bench hasn't developed enough to contribute meaningful minutes.

Mitchell would be my #2.

And1
03-03-2007, 04:28 AM
The reservation I have about Van Gundy is that his solution to the Yao/T-Mac injuries was basically to just play his vets like Howard, Battier, and Deke more. He now has the same problem as D'Antoni - his key role players are going to be worn out by playoff time and the rest of the bench hasn't developed enough to contribute meaningful minutes.

Mitchell would be my #2.

What was he supposed to do at the 5? 7'2" Jake just joined the team a wk or 2 ago and prior to that, the only backup to 7'2" Mutombo was Chuck Hayes, a 6'6" 3/4 playing backup 5. Who would jvg go to instead of battier and howard, rookie Stevie-3,No-D Novak? Bonzi has been slow to get into the rotation b/c of early conflict with jvg and some injuries and Kirk Snyder is being worked back into the rotation due to a broken hand bone earlier in the season. He has occasionally brought in the lighting fast JL3 to run the point and he has done well. It is no secret that jvg prefers vets over rooks, but he has done well in Yao's absence. Remove the star player from each of those other coaches and what does Avery/mavs look like without Dirk for 31.5 games? Dantoni without Nash for 31 games.:confused:

Wow, Mutombo sure looks tired, making NBA history with 22 boards on Friday night!:eek:

Mutombo, the league's oldest player at 40, became the first 40-year old in NBA history to grab at least 20 boards in a single game.

The oldest player to have such a performance before him? Hakeem Olajuwon, who had a 20-rebound effort about two months shy of his 39th birthday.
http://www.nba.com/rockets/news/Rockets_bounce_back_behind_Mut-213720-34.html

Ummm, how is Van Gundy not on this list? He's easily the COTY.
+1

I would put Jeff Van Gundy in that list at the current time but the Rockets are looking to tail off

Ship has been righted! No tailspin.

jvg's boot has found its way up players backsides

Stubborn/proud JVG's take on COTY talk:
Coach of the Year?: By guiding his team to the fifth record in the NBA without star center Yao Ming, Rockets coach Jeff Van Gundy is beginning to be mentioned as a possible candidate for the NBA's Coach of the Year Award.

He isn't too interested in chatting about his candidacy.

"I think all that stuff is based on how good your players are," Van Gundy said. "We have good players who are playing well."

Van Gundy shrugged off the suggestion that he should be rewarded for helping his team win without Yao.

"That would be for the uninformed," Van Gundy said. "We have plenty to win with and they've done a great job. This is about them and about what they've done and what they've stood for."

DH_fan
03-03-2007, 01:14 PM
33 votes and not a one for Mike D'Antoni.
As it should be.